BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/29/2016 3:13:04 PM EDT
Link

https://youtu.be/LuPOqDlaX6U

Former-Yugoslavian republic Slovenia with their Arex Zero-1 (Sig 226 clone) vs. the Elite of the Eliteness Sig P226 Legion.

The Sig dominated the imposter....or did it?

(Edit: Not sure why it's not linking the video properly. I can't get it to embed on here.)

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Dammit
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Link

Edit: Not sure why it's not linking the video properly. I can't get it to embed on here.

View Quote
have to be a paid member to embed

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuPOqDlaX6U
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link

Edit: Not sure why it's not linking the video properly. I can't get it to embed on here.

Thanks.
LoL, not going to pay for basic forum functions.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link

Thanks.

You could always pay to show your support for this forum...
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#5]
In before the haters act like Tim is shilling...

Those test results were very surprising, I would like to see a older German P226 in the same test.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Arex can thank Zastava for that performance
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Honestly, I expected the Sig to shine. I didn't know what to expect from the Rex Zero 1. Given the Rex bares more than a passing resemblance to the P226, I thought it would do ok but trusted the Sig to move effortlessly through the tests. When the Sig started acting up, I was surprised. I know even the most reliable gun in the world can malfunction if a spec of debris gets in the wrong spot so I cleaned it and gave it a second chance. The Rex didn't see a drop of lube, or so much as a cloth, throughout the entire day after the initial cleaning and lubing I gave both pistols before starting the test.

The Sig simply couldn't keep up.

To be fair, we had a test sample of (1) for each pistol tested. Would a different P226 fair better? Quite possibly. As I said at the end, I was in no way condemning the P226. Do I question the "to Hell and back reliability" claim? Yeah, I do at this point. I don't think it's any more reliable than other guns on the market and perhaps less reliable. It's hard to say from a sample set of one though and I admit that.

We made every effort to keep the tests fair and, to be quite honest, modest in how much debris we exposed the guns to. We didn't bury them. We didn't pack them with stuff with the slides locked to the rear. We didn't drop the mags into the test material. We simply laid the guns in the different material, pushed it down as if perhaps you fell on the weapon in the field, picked it up and fired.

No matter what you do, people will find fault in your methodology. We did the best we could come up with and now we will repeat it on a very wide variety of pistols every month.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Honestly, I expected the Sig to shine. I didn't know what to expect from the Rex Zero 1. Given the Rex bares more than a passing resemblance to the P226, I thought it would do ok but trusted the Sig to move effortlessly through the tests. When the Sig started acting up, I was surprised. I know even the most reliable gun in the world can malfunction if a spec of debris gets in the wrong spot so I cleaned it and gave it a second chance. The Rex didn't see a drop of lube, or so much as a cloth, throughout the entire day after the initial cleaning and lubing I gave both pistols before starting the test.

To be fair, we had a test sample of (1) for each pistol tested. Would a different P226 fair better? Quite possibly. As I said at the end, I was in no way condemning the P226. Do I question the "to Hell and back reliability" claim? Yeah, I do at this point. I don't think it's any more reliable than other guns on the market and perhaps less reliable. It's hard to say from a sample set of one though and I admit that.

We made every effort to keep the tests fair and, to be quite honest, modest in how much debris we exposed the guns to. We didn't bury them. We didn't pack them with stuff with the slides locked to the rear. We didn't drop the mags into the test material. We simply laid the guns in the different material, pushed it down as if perhaps you fell on the weapon in the field, picked it up and fired.

No matter what you do, people will find fault in your methodology. We did the best we could come up with and now we will repeat it on a very wide variety of pistols every month.
View Quote

I enjoy your videos, and keep them coming. I actually own the Legion 226, and I enjoyed the torture test. No butthurt here. I would love to see you do a CZ SP01 Tactical torture test. Maybe even against the Canik (TriStar) P120 which is a CZ clone.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I though it was a great video

I would be curious to see how a short extractor P226 or even a old internal extractor model held up to the same test.

Given that the P226 was the top contender against the M9 back in the 1984 Army field trials.  I highly doubt it performed that poorly.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Awesome video, very surprising! Where did those grips come from for the Arex? Are they from a Sig?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I would be curious to see how a short extractor P226 or even a old internal extractor model held up to the same test.

Given that the P226 was the top contender against the M9 back in the 1984 Army field trials.  I highly doubt it performed that poorly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree that the internal vs. external extractor may have had something to do with it. The PVD finish may have had something to do with it. Poor QC may have had something to do with it and another Legion may have passed with flying colors. It's really hard to say. But if it's a QC issue on a $1500 handgun, that's a pretty big problem IMHO. When you spend that kind of money, you expect the very best QC. At least I do.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey Tim, while we are on the subject.  What was your impression of the Grayguns trigger the Legion series comes with?

How does it compare to a regular "short reach" trigger and SRT kit?

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Could it have something to do with the Legion being the top-shelf offering and therefore built to tighter tolerances? Would probably be more accurate when cleaned and lubed but a spec of sand in the right place would take it out of commission. This has me thinking about the AK vs. AR. One is more accurate the other is said to run longer in adverse conditions.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I wonder if the SRT parts and adjustable trigger on the Legion contributed to the malfunctions?  Maybe there's not as much room for debris to escape the action.

I'd like to see a standard P226 (or MK25) do the same test.  I'm not debating the results, but the only pistol I've had that has never malfunctioned was a mid-2000's manufactured P226.  Even the Glocks I've owned have had a few malfunctions.  I don't torture test my guns however.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've had a few Sigs in the past that simply wouldn't run unless they were lubricated well beyond what I would consider normal or typical for other types of handguns (1911, Glock, HK, CZ).  Frankly I'm not surprised that introducing anything that adds friction to the slide and frame caused failures.  In terms of lock back and stovepipes, I've seen those just from under lubrication.

I've also seen plenty of Sigs that function fine regardless of lube and ran great.  In short, I don't really have a point...other than I'm not surprised based on my limited exposure to Sigs.  

I sold my Legion SAO after Sig failed to acknowledge a slipping trigger bar that caused a creak in the pre-travel a problem, so when you have problems on the front end (quality of the guns they're putting out), on top of problems on the back end (failure to fix problems once discovered), its a recipe for disaster, and plays right into the stereotype of Sigs reputation woes over the past decade.  Especially for a gun with a 1400 dollar MSRP.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I went over alot of pros and cons on sig vs cz sp-01 recently.

in the end,m I decided to go with a sp-01, because frankly for the money, the sig is no more reliable at all. In fact most people seem to say the CZ shoots better.

Sig makes a fine gun. Too bad they over price them by about 35%. 'marketing'

Now I want a Arex Zero-1 though not at 600 bones.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Hey Tim, while we are on the subject.  What was your impression of the Grayguns trigger the Legion series comes with?

View Quote

I don't have all the different Sig's and associated triggers. I have an old German P226, a Mk25 and the Legion. The Legion fits my hand better, has a far better trigger, and shoots better i my hands than my other P226's. I really like the trigger on the Legion. Until this test, the only thing I can ding the Legion on is the frame gouging (look at the wear on the dust cover when the gun is field stripped) and the miniature slide stop (WTF?). When I first got the Legion I said to myself, "all P226's should be like this sans the slide stop".
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Sig makes eleventy billion products, it must be impossible to have consistent QC. Thus I'm not buying sig anything.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Could it have something to do with the Legion being the top-shelf offering and therefore built to tighter tolerances? Would probably be more accurate when cleaned and lubed but a spec of sand in the right place would take it out of commission. This has me thinking about the AK vs. AR. One is more accurate the other is said to run longer in adverse conditions.
View Quote
I don't believe the Legion is all that tightly fit. Mine rattles.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJs6EIRAEph/?hl=en
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#20]
What guns have you found to do well in your torture tests?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Would you consider shooting the Sig more and retrying the test.  It is new and like any gun they usually do not shine until you get some miles on them.

Also maybe grease the rails instead of CLP?

Cool video!
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I enjoy your videos, and keep them coming. I actually own the Legion 226, and I enjoyed the torture test. No butthurt here. I would love to see you do a CZ SP01 Tactical torture test. Maybe even against the Canik (TriStar) P120 which is a CZ clone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a recent buyer of both of those, I enjoyed the video and wouldn't mind seeing how the CZ holds up.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't have all the different Sig's and associated triggers. I have an old German P226, a Mk25 and the Legion. The Legion fits my hand better, has a far better trigger, and shoots better i my hands than my other P226's. I really like the trigger on the Legion. Until this test, the only thing I can ding the Legion on is the frame gouging (look at the wear on the dust cover when the gun is field stripped) and the miniature slide stop (WTF?). When I first got the Legion I said to myself, "all P226's should be like this sans the slide stop".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats my favorite feature

Ive cut a few standard p226 slide locks down
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:37:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I wonder if the Rex has a long continuous slide rail like the Sig?

I suspect the long continuous frame slide rail of the Sig, while beneficial to accuracy and slide to frame fit, cause it problems in being able to get rid of grit.

A lot of the modern polymer guns have comparitively short slide rails on the front and back of the frame, which I would guess might be able to allow for the grit to escape.

Very good objective testing Tim. I look forward to future tests.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:02:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Tim, do the AREX pistols and the Sig pistols share any internals or are they completely different?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Gosh, the SIG P226R is my carry piece, I carry this thing every time I leave the house! I am forced to keep it in a gun locker while I'm at work and use a Glock . I'd really like to see a video of different types of the P226. An old west german, a 90s version and one from 2005ish put through the same testing. To see if the tight tolerances of a new sig have anything to do with it?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:32:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:.
View Quote

Not tech related. - Maynard
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:36:32 AM EDT
[#28]
I would never buy a Legion after all the QC shit that customers have reported.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:38:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

yes, it does
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:55:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

yes, it does
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes, it does

Are the slide rails the same length? Does the Rex have a more loose fit between rails and slide allowing for debris to be pushed out?

I enjoyed the test. Would like to see a GLock 19 and a HK USP go through the same test. I would imagine having short rails like they do would be a benefit.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

As a recent buyer of both of those, I enjoyed the video and wouldn't mind seeing how the CZ holds up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll add a +3 to the SP-01 versus CZ clone idea. I would love to see this.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ill add a +3 as well. I enjoyed the Canik Vs. VP9 vid. Id love to see the CZ Vs. Cheaper clone vid.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have had this conversation many time on here. Speaking to the fact that any gun from any manufacture can fail, break, not cycle etc. yet the majority of fan boys for what ever gun is being discussed always look at me like there is a dick growing out of my forehead.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Well shit.

I still like mine! Runs 100% suppressed or unsuppressed for me so far. I haven't dropped it in the mud, and it stays pretty clean in my FAS1 safe behind the bedroom door.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#35]
In five years people are going to look back at the Legion schtick and laugh.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#36]
In my defense, I couldn't care less about the whole "Legion" thing, although I do think the logo on the grips is pretty cool looking. The pistol DOES, however, feel GREAT in my hand. I lusted after an X5, but couldn't swing $2,500 for a 9mm, and then they quit making them anyhow. This has a few of the same touches, like the undercut, better grips, great sights, and sweet trigger, for half the money.            

Regular 226's don't fit my hands very well, this might as well be a different gun.

Sucks that that particular 226 failed so badly in the tests, maybe every 226 would, I don't know. I'm not knocking polymer pistols, but I do personally prefer shooting a metal framed handgun anymore, even for EDC.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Interesting, he will show up with this review but was no where to be found when the VP9 was reviewed...interesting indeed.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Interesting, he will show up with this review but was no where to be found when the VP9 was reviewed...interesting indeed.

View Quote
Oh please.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#39]
I noticed a lot of comments on the video about the "excessive wear" on my pistol that was visible when I field stripped it. Some were saying that's not right and my gun is defective.

I took a good look at it today while getting all the crud out of the gun and it does not seem to be any type of defect. First, the action on the gun is smooth as butter. Second, if you look at the polished spots on the frame you'll see the machining is such that there are two raised surfaces. I guess it could be argued these are manufacturing flaws, however they appear to be deliberate. There is no sign of corresponding wear on the slide, the finish is 100%.

Here's the polished areas I'm talking about:

Here's a close-up with the camera at a slight angle. You can see the apparently deliberate rise in the surface of the frame rail.

This, coupled with the video on the Sig Legion site of the gun in their promo's showing a similar ejection pattern as my pistol when it was clean leads me to believe there's nothing overtly defective with my particular handgun. (Some said my gun was obviously defective because it wasn't throwing the spent cases into the next zip code).

I do not believe my Legion is defective. What do you guys think?

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Oh please.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh please.  
Thanks for proving my point. Have a good day.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh please.  

I know trolls exist everywhere, but please try to troll the non-technical forums.

To your point, I posted all over the internet about that video. If I missed a thread here, OMG, it's the end of the world and I'm a paid shill for X.

Again, please go troll GD where such behavior is encouraged.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I know trolls exist everywhere, but please try to troll the non-technical forums.

To your point, I posted all over the internet about that video. If I missed a thread here, OMG, it's the end of the world and I'm a paid shill for X.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh please.  

I have never accused you of being a shill, and it wasn't trolling. I made an observation, and you confirmed it for me. In Tech, this is rather important because if a review is questioned and is controversial, you will be no where to be found when hard questions are needing to be asked and answered...leading one to wonder about integrity of the reviewer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I have never accused you of being a shill, and it wasn't trolling. I made an observation, and you confirmed it for me. In Tech, this is rather important because if a review is questioned and is controversial, you will be no where to be found when hard questions are needing to be asked and answered...leading one to wonder about integrity of the reviewer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh please.  

That is an absolute lie. Just because I don't spend every waking moment on a thread or forum you're posting to does not mean I'm dodging anything. I posted to countless forums and answered questions. You, sir, are simply trying to defame me.

If you have a question, ask it vs. insulting me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:24:34 PM EDT
[#44]
I am also leaving the computer for the day to go film. If I don't respond to your question immediately, it's not me dodging your question.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I am also leaving the computer for the day to go film. If I don't respond to your question immediately, it's not me dodging your question.
View Quote
Good luck with your filming. I've been long over it and already got what I was looking for.

Take care.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#46]
I grew up goose hunting with my dad's 1940's Browning Auto 5, it's a beautiful shotgun, like buttered ball bearings. If the wind picked up any sort of grit at all in the early winter, it was either a single shot, or a very problematic slow semi auto. Tight tolerances will do that.

I'm not HAPPY that a model of my 226 failed miserably, I thought it would have done better. I wouldn't expect most modern combat pistols to fail that quickly, however I would guess that any "tight" semi custom gun would fail miserably as well. 1911's, X5s, even revolvers maybe, I don't know, until I bought them and did the tests.

In any case, thanks for taking the time to do these tests! Keeps me from having to dunk my most expensive handgun in the mud.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Good luck with your filming. I've been long over it and already got what I was looking for.

Take care.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Take care.

Apparently you're not over it as you're going out of your way to defame me. I truly hope you are over it. Trust me when I say, it's petty.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I grew up goose hunting with my dad's 1940's Browning Auto 5, it's a beautiful shotgun, like buttered ball bearings. If the wind picked up any sort of grit at all in the early winter, it was either a single shot, or a very problematic slow semi auto. Tight tolerances will do that.

I'm not HAPPY that a model of my 226 failed miserably, I thought it would have done better. I wouldn't expect most modern combat pistols to fail that quickly, however I would guess that any "tight" semi custom gun would fail miserably as well. 1911's, X5s, even revolvers maybe, I don't know, until I bought them and did the tests.

In any case, thanks for taking the time to do these tests! Keeps me from having to dunk my most expensive handgun in the mud.
View Quote

What's interesting is that the Legion I have isn't fit that tightly. It has plenty of movement in the slide to frame fit. The Arex is more tightly fit, at least my example.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#49]
The two most useful reviewer channels I've seen on the net are mac and mrgunsandgear.

Others dont really go into the technical. I thought this was another useful technical video. I dont think sigs are bad. In think they are over marketed and over priced for what you get.

Mac and other vids helped me decide against an x95, and choose the 805 bren which has become my favorite rifle.

I also "4th" on the sp-01 torture or vs test.

I just bought a sp-01 myself. I chose it over the sig for many reasons, not the least of which is price, a flooded market, feel, and support.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What's interesting is that the Legion I have isn't fit that tightly. It has plenty of movement in the slide to frame fit. The Arex is more tightly fit, at least my example.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well maybe more goop got in the action then? I guess I didn't plan on my Legion being an "end of times" gun, more of an "I really enjoy shooting this" gun. Thanks again for all the testing!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top