Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2016 10:56:00 PM EDT
What is everyone's opinion of FNS striker fire line of pistols? Would y'all rate them up there with Glock or S&W & Springfield?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Good guns from what ive heard. I have a fnx tactical.  Fn makes a good gun.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Excellent weapons. I love my FNS9, much better than any Glock I've owned.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#3]
top shelf
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:04:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Good pistols, underrated, mags are rather pricey, and generally just as good as any other modern pistol.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:02:14 AM EDT
[#5]
They are great. Definitely on par with Glock, Smith, etc. I have owned two and they were flawless. They have since gone to my cousin, who needed them more than me where they continue to get the job done.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Since this topic usually comes up once a month or so, I'll say again, my FNS-9L is incredibly accurate, feels great in the hand, and offers everything anyone would need in a striker fired gun.  Ambi everything, 3 mags, no finger bumps, flat or humped backstrap, FCS, steel sights, etc.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Aftermarket for the Glock and M&P is far better.  There isn't much in the way of trigger parts available for the FNS.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aftermarket for the Glock and M&P is far better.  There isn't much in the way of trigger parts available for the FNS.
View Quote

because it isn't needed
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#9]
One of the most underrated guns out there...I love mine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Arizona DPS just got them in .40. We have a member here who liked it so much that he went out and bought two more for himself to go along with his issued one.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

because it isn't needed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

because it isn't needed

The trigger is heavy. Good break and reset but unnecessarily heavy and the only way to lighten it is to cut springs. Apex has said they won't make trigger parts because the fire control group is too complicated.

It's a nice gun but when you factor that stuff in and compare it to a Glock, there's no practical reason to have it over the Glock unless you want something different to add to the collection. I recently got one. It's cool but not real benefit to it over more popular stuff.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I should probably pick one up in 9x19, it has a really nice trigger.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I impulse bought a used 9mm with night sights a couple years ago.  Nice pistol and surprisingly compact for a full 17 round handgun.  I still have it and would buy another if I found a good deal.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:43:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The trigger is heavy. Good break and reset but unnecessarily heavy and the only way to lighten it is to cut springs. Apex has said they won't make trigger parts because the fire control group is too complicated.

It's a nice gun but when you factor that stuff in and compare it to a Glock, there's no practical reason to have it over the Glock unless you want something different to add to the collection. I recently got one. It's cool but not real benefit to it over more popular stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

because it isn't needed

Yes, too heavy.  I mean, it's not awful but could use improvement.  Cutting springs and polishing is about all you can do with them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:02:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Depending on what you want to do, there is not a whole lot of aftermarket support for them either.

Mine is stock, just noticed that with holster choices.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:08:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's a nice gun but when you factor that stuff in and compare it to a Glock, there's no practical reason to have it over the Glock
View Quote

False.  I have a Glock 19 and a FNS-9L.  I shoot IDPA and the FNS-9 is better for me than the G34 for a few reasons.  I hate Glock finger bumps, hate them.  The FNS has a flat front strap with awesome grip.  Frame mods to a gun put you into a different class that includes high dollar custom 2011's.  The FNS frame is perfect, no kidding, perfect.  Huge trigger guard area to fit gloved hands, great ambi mag release (Glock can only flip on G4's) and ambi-slide stop, which IS faster to use and is often the chosen method when the clock is ticking.  Also the FNS comes with great OEM steel sights and fiber optic front sights are cheap for these too.  It is a more natural pointing gun and the slickness of the mags and slight flare to the well make dumping mags and reloading a snap.  I love my G19 G4, but I love my FNS-9L at least as much.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:46:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I really really like them. If shit was going down I would reach for my FNS9 over anything.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:24:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Everyone I know that has one loves it.  That said its a crowded marketplace and FN has had a very hard time getting any traction.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I love mine. The only complaint i have is the limited aftermarket compared to other brands.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:47:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't own a pistol from the FNS line (have fired them, was impressed) but I do own an FNX-45 Tactical. I believe FN products on the whole are thoroughly underrated by the civilian market. I'd put my FNX on par as far as build quality as my H&K USP.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:11:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I bought one on a whim when they were released.

Excellent quality handgun with little aftermarket support and expensive magazines.  Sold it to fund more relevant kit...

Its a good gun, but just like the PPQ it will always be a niche product for the Glock haters and hipsters that just have to be different than the rest...

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#23]
It's basically what a Gen 4 Glock should have been.  No finger grooves, high undercut trigger guard, rough texture frame, adjustable backstraps both with and without the hump, forward slide serrations, completely ambi, options for a manual safety for the people that like them, etc.  A lot of the common mods most people do to their Glocks are already featured on the pistol from the factory.  

The aftermarket for it sucks, but the pistols are serviceable out of the box after maybe upgrading sights.  Way underrated.  A very good value.  Mags are expensive though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's basically what a Gen 4 Glock should have been.  No finger grooves, high undercut trigger guard,
View Quote
Bingo.  I had to do both of that stuff to my G19 to make it suitable for carry for my paws.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No.

I would avoid the current FN pistols as I have not heard anything good about them.

What FN releases next, though...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is everyone's opinion of FNS striker fire line of pistols? Would y'all rate them up there with Glock or S&W & Springfield?

No.

I would avoid the current FN pistols as I have not heard anything good about them.

Thanks for the first hand info.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I carry an FNS9C. I'm very fond of it. Shoots well, nice trigger for a striker fired gun. I like that it holds 12 rounds in a form factor somewhere between a G26 and a G19.

The checkering on the backstrap is pretty damn aggressive. I went to the range this morning and ran a dozen mags though it. When I was finished, there was a perfect imprint of the backstrap mesh in my hand. It's been 10 hours since I shot it, and my hand is still a little tender.

As has been previously mentioned, magazines are expensive (~$50 ea). Accessories are also hard to find. One of the reasons I went with the FNS9C over a G26 is the light rail. However, my Surefire x300 doesn't fit on it (the rail is too short) and if you want a holster that accommodates a light, it's going to be a custom order. The other reason I went with it is the LGS had it on sale for $350
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I carry an FNS9C. I'm very fond of it. Shoots well, nice trigger for a striker fired gun. I like that it holds 12 rounds in a form factor somewhere between a G26 and a G19.

The checkering on the backstrap is pretty damn aggressive. I went to the range this morning and ran a dozen mags though it. When I was finished, there was a perfect imprint of the backstrap mesh in my hand. It's been 10 hours since I shot it, and my hand is still a little tender.

As has been previously mentioned, magazines are expensive (~$50 ea). Accessories are also hard to find. One of the reasons I went with the FNS9C over a G26 is the light rail. However, my Surefire x300 doesn't fit on it (the rail is too short) and if you want a holster that accommodates a light, it's going to be a custom order. The other reason I went with it is the LGS had it on sale for $350
View Quote

I had to put moleskin tape over my grip cause it was shredding my side when I IWB carried.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I had to put moleskin tape over my grip cause it was shredding my side when I IWB carried.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My holster covers enough of the grip that it's not an issue, but I could definitely see that being an issue with holsters that don't extend very high.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

What is exactly is wrong with the FNS line of pistols? I'd like to hear you experiences.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I've heard really good things about the FNS / FNX pistols, messed with both in the gun shop but never actually fired one live. Kinda curious why they haven't been picked up by more police / military organizations vs Glock / Smith. Can't tell if it's a cost per unit issue or what. Was really surprised that they're still trying to push the FN FiveSeven for the XM17 trials as opposed to either of those. Didn't see the Army wanting to go out of compliance with NATO for a moon caliber round and figured that they'd be a little more dedicated to locking down all the small arms sales for the military.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What is exactly is wrong with the FNS line of pistols? I'd like to hear you experiences.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Seems like he doesn't have any lol.  On the other hand I have an Fnx 45, and compared to my friends mk23 I like the trigger more, it isn't quite as accurate, but I don't think many polymer hand guns are more accurate than the mk23.  I've never had a malfunction (I may eventually, but after about 1000+ rounds I haven't yet), I had some issues with the mag catching on the way in when I first got it (known issue) but as you use the gun the problem goes away.  I love my glocks, but fn makes an amazing firearm.  And anyone who says they don't should look at the plethora of firearms they make for the military.  Ymmv.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've heard really good things about the FNS / FNX pistols, messed with both in the gun shop but never actually fired one live. Kinda curious why they haven't been picked up by more police / military organizations vs Glock / Smith. Can't tell if it's a cost per unit issue or what. Was really surprised that they're still trying to push the FN FiveSeven for the XM17 trials as opposed to either of those. Didn't see the Army wanting to go out of compliance with NATO for a moon caliber round and figured that they'd be a little more dedicated to locking down all the small arms sales for the military.
View Quote

Fn firearms used by the us military:

M4
M249
M240B
M2HB
GAU-21
M3P (.50 cal)
And the pods used to mount m3p to helos and fixed wing.

Those are only what I know of, I guarantee there are more.  So the
Military has definitely adopted FN.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 11:07:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I love my glocks, but fn makes an amazing firearm.  And anyone who says they don't should look at the plethora of firearms they make for the military.  Ymmv.
View Quote

It is entirely possible to make several families of excellent weapons and still have a few stinkers in the lineup.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It is entirely possible to make several families of excellent weapons and still have a few stinkers in the lineup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my glocks, but fn makes an amazing firearm.  And anyone who says they don't should look at the plethora of firearms they make for the military.  Ymmv.

FNAR...  Enough said.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#35]
My two issues with the FNS were, the trigger needs to be about 2 pounds lighter.  I've owned the safety and non-safety versions.  FN advertises 5.5 to 7.5 pound trigger pull.  Both of mine where on the 7.5 side of that.  Polished the striker channel and I bought some extra striker springs to cut and only got about a half a pound off the pull.  The biggest issue I had was the full time ambi mag release.  There is a reason most manufactures have a mag release button that is reversible and the only true ambi releases are the FNS and the HK and Walther paddles.  If you actually carry the FNS and your holster doesn't cover the outside of the mag release your seat belt latch can bump the mag release outside button.  I few time I got out of the car and my mag was sitting in the seat.  David
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#36]
The FNS/FNX guns are pretty spot on.  Better triggers than their striker fired or DA/SA counterparts out of the box, accurate, and reliable.  The only down sides are expensive mags (almost HK expensive) and FN doesn't know how to dehorn a gun and radius edges to save their lives.  Running it hard and fast without Gloves will result in scuffed up hands.  They're hard on kydex holsters too because of all the sharp edges.  Not a show stopper, but annoying.  With a little machining they could be smoother and more user friendly (talking the slide here)....
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Good guns from what ive heard. I have a fnx tactical.  Fn makes a good gun.
View Quote

I had an FNX tac for a few months...I sold it.  It was humongous, and the DA trigger pull was atrocious; It was 100% reliable though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top