BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:35:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Based on grip/wrist angle and trigger reach, I have found through my SIRT gun that with Glock, I have a tendency to perceive me "pulling straight back" as actually pushing laterally slightly, to the left.

When I shoot Glocks, I focus on pulling the trigger slightly to the right.  When I watch my press, I realize that is actually straight back, its just the ergo's of the gun.  This is mitigated slightly with flat face triggers, which at the end of their travel, are actually starting to point backwards; helps with the angles that make me perceive a straight pull that is infact slightly left.

Try it during dry fire.  Induce an ever so slight "right and back" press, and you may find that it is actually perfectly straight back.
View Quote

Me too.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:40:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Try not to shoot two different guns at the same time.

I.e. Glock and 1911.

Practice with one only and you will do much better. Sounds crazy but when I left the TRP at home my 19/17 shooting became shy of outstanding.

Shot the glocks only every weekend for a month and got to where I could run the plate rack (slow but steady) at 65 yards. I have arfcommers as witnesses.

Need to see if I still got it this weekend (have a 7 week old and have had limited range time )

And most importantly shoot a lot.....drift your rear sight to the right a smidge
View Quote

I disagree. I switched to shooting Berettas for almost a year and the improvements I made carried over and improved my glock shooting
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I disagree. I switched to shooting Berettas for almost a year and the improvements I made carried over and improved my glock shooting
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try not to shoot two different guns at the same time.

I.e. Glock and 1911.

Practice with one only and you will do much better. Sounds crazy but when I left the TRP at home my 19/17 shooting became shy of outstanding.

Shot the glocks only every weekend for a month and got to where I could run the plate rack (slow but steady) at 65 yards. I have arfcommers as witnesses.

Need to see if I still got it this weekend (have a 7 week old and have had limited range time )

And most importantly shoot a lot.....drift your rear sight to the right a smidge

Congrats on the Baby Finslayer!!!!!!  

But I'm with the RN on this one.  I think shooting DA revolvers for a good spell has made me a better shooter.  Shooting a Glock feels like cheating.  I didn't used to think so.  Plus the trigger on my Glock is pretty good.  I've handled a lot more heavy ones.  But I still think that wrestling with DA and trying to be accurate with it will help anyone in the long run.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 10:48:59 PM EDT
[#4]
You know there's nothing wrong with throwing in the towel on Glocks and shopping for something else that shoots better for you, or fits you better. It does not make you an edgy hipster just trying to be different like some on this very subforum have stated.

I finally sold my G19 and I am a happier and more proficient shooter as a result. I had to concentrate so hard to shoot the thing good and I carried it everyday for years and practiced all the time.

Glocks are great guns for some if not most people, and we all know they are reliable as pistols get. There was a time where they were the only game in town for an out of the box perfectly reliable polymer framed autopistol, but that time is past. Other manufacturers have gotten it together enough where there are plenty of other options available now that just might fit you better. Shop around. Of course my advice might be worth exactly what you paid for it.

I just find it crazy how other shooters border on calling people out as apostates for abandoning the platform around here.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Glocks can be a real PITA to shoot and sometimes they really do shoot left.   I had. gen 4 34 that legitimately shot 3" left at 25 yards with the sights centered.
View Quote

I'm having this problem now. The gun is very accurate. It just doesn't hit poa.
Did you get your 34 fixed and if so how?
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got 20K rounds through my G17 and 100's of hours of dry fire practice with it.

I still shoot it a little left.

But it's still in the A zone so fuck it.

I am switching to a Tanfo Stock 2 next season though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would buy some orange plastic training rounds and mix 1-2 in per mag.

Anticipating recoil is very common.

I've been training on it for years but always good to work the basics
View Quote

This too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Low left is probably not your trigger finger, it's your whole hand. Put an empty gun in your right hand and aim in. Now squeeze your hand as tight a you can. Which way did the sights move? Low and left? Better yet, if you can, try it with a Laser so you can watch the track.

Should be opposite for a lefty.

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Step 1) return striker fired pistol and buy better gun
Step 2) profit

I've shot a number of different striker fired pistols (for example, Glock, M&P, SW99/P99) and they just don't do it for me.

They're certainly good enough for spray and pray but I doubt you'll win shooting competitions with one.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

They're certainly good enough for spray and pray but I doubt you'll win shooting competitions with one.
View Quote

o rly?

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 12:32:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I shoot Glocks to the left. I switched to Glocks in 2010 and I've taken several classes and professional instruction with the Glock, but this issue never changed. Trigger finger position doesn't fox it for me. Left or right hand, two hands or one hand only, off sandbags or standing.

I drift my rear sight slightly to the right to compensate. And I zero my pistols at 50yards.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:10:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I shoot Glocks to the left. I switched to Glocks in 2010 and I've taken several classes and professional instruction with the Glock, but this issue never changed. Trigger finger position doesn't fox it for me. Left or right hand, two hands or one hand only, off sandbags or standing.

I drift my rear sight slightly to the right to compensate. And I zero my pistols at 50yards.
View Quote

Have you tried gripping harder with your left hand?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Step 2) profit

I've shot a number of different striker fired pistols (for example, Glock, M&P, SW99/P99) and they just don't do it for me.

View Quote

What do you compete with ?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

03RN is on to something with this advice.
Here is a great way to practice left/right issues and gripping.
Do a line drill, it is as simple as a piece of tape run vertically 2-3ft long.
Shoot 4 shots down and 4 shots up, see where your shots impact, then repeat and adjust grip pressure, do this over and over and do it regularly.
I tried to find a demo online but cant find one, this method is taught at CSAT and it works, it helped me to quit focusing so much on my strong hand.
Be sure all other are in order, stance, proper grip etc, as you get better, challenge yourself by using a lesser width line, put those bullets in the line, start close if needed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

o rly?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqKrPmxdPEc

Very nice shooting skills, that was worth watching for damn sure.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I tried to find a demo online but cant find one, this method is taught at CSAT and it works, it helped me to quit focusing so much on my strong hand.

Be sure all other are in order, stance, proper grip etc, as you get better, challenge yourself by using a lesser width line, put those bullets in the line, start close if needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ron Avery Triggerstripe drill

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

o rly?

Turns out you CAN win accuracy-based shooting competitions with a Glock.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Step 2) profit

View Quote

You ever heard:  It's the Indian not the arrow?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

o rly?

Unless their is a reason to handicap yourself why try?

The pull is from bad to atrocious.

For some reason you never see them in 3-gun Bullseye.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 8:56:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Pulling to the right a bit during rearward travel like suggested earlier is helping my Glock shooting quite a bit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Opinion, fact or just talking to hear yourself talk?
Please cite.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Please cite.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please cite.

Have you ever gone to a match?
It is not hard to see what is being used.

Look up the  scores.
Better reports have what was being used at high level matches.

.22, .45, any center-fire.

A lot of starting shooters use their .45 in two stages.

There are arguable reasons the bigger hole helps in scoring over using a smaller round.
It also means you only need two guns to get started.

When I started a buddy had a Pardini and I had a tuned up 1911.
We shared.

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Step 2) profit

View Quote

I outshot a guy at  the range shooting an ed brown with rmr with my beat to hell g19 with a ghost connector. The other day.  

I won a few boxes of ammo. So who profits now?
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I did not read through the posts, but it is obvious by looking at your shots.

You are watching for impact instead of watching your sights. You are trying to adjust your aim instead of keeping one
sight picture and sight alignment.

Keep watching the daylight on both sides of your Front Sight as you press back the trigger S-l-o-w-l-y  the shot should be a surprise. Repeat same with same point of aim.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Bill Halverson at Gunsite.

Front site!
Front sight!
You should be able to count the serrations.
Front site!

When trying to up speed I would 'look over' the sites instead of remaining focused on the front site.
The week was worth every penny.

With a compact pistol at 60 yards I hit an 8 inch disk on the first shot.

His only comment was "Damn."

What he did not know was that I am a longtime Bullseye shooter.
Aim at the very top of the plate.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 6:49:01 AM EDT
[#26]
I do the same thing only my groups are to the right because i'm left handed.
Glocks have a heavy trigger pull. And 1911's have a shorter lighter trigger pull.
I think this is pretty normal without changing the connector or trigger in your glock.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#27]
[Would you recommend this product called itarget pro?

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
[Would you recommend this product called itarget pro?

https://youtu.be/Q05_OlDg-YE
View Quote

I have used the Beam Hit System with troubled shooters and was able to get them to learn the fundamentals of Sight Picture, Sight Alignment, Trigger Press,
Breathing, Follow Through, and Trigger Reset.  

I believe it is a good way to dry fire.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Light heavy long short the fundamentals are the same activate the trigger without disturbing sight alignment. The longer the trigger travel and heavier the trigger the harder this is to achieve. I have been a life long revolver shooter and going from the long heavy revolver trigger to a glock trigger makes the glock trigger seem easy. Shoot a revolver some the. Go back to glock and you will do fine.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#30]
It's not all trigger manipulation.  The low bore axis of a Glock comes with it's very own built in trigger fucker upper.  

The trigger is lower than the backstrap, so your trigger finger has to reach down to get on the trigger.   The doublestack frame is wider than the trigger so the trigger finger pushes on the frame when it squeezes the trigger.  

Some people can manage that, others can't.  I can, but it's a pain the ass so I just ahoot a different gun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's not all trigger manipulation.  The low bore axis of a Glock comes with it's very own built in trigger fucker upper.  

The trigger is lower than the backstrap, so your trigger finger has to reach down to get on the trigger.   The doublestack frame is wider than the trigger so the trigger finger pushes on the frame when it squeezes the trigger.  

Some people can manage that, others can't.  I can, but it's a pain the ass so I just ahoot a different gun.
View Quote

Then why can I flip my Glock 22 or my 23 upside down and fire it with my pinky with perfectly aimed shots.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:09:44 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

o rly?

It's the hat...
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
It's the hat...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

o rly?

It's the hat...

I'm pretty sure as fast as that guy was moving, that it was really Keanu Reeves, practicing for the new John Wick movie.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I would buy some orange plastic training rounds and mix 1-2 in per mag.

Anticipating recoil is very common.

I've been training on it for years but always good to work the basics
View Quote

That right there is probably your issue, tons of dry-fire, and also when you pull the trigger, pull as slow as possible, just add a little bit of pressure at a time.. just squeeze the trigger don't just pull it.

When you are squeezing the trigger add a little bit of pressure every time and let the pull surprise you.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I think if we're honest with ourselves most of us would admit pistol shooting takes a ton of time to really get down. It's not easy and a very perishable skill.

I've been shooting pistols only about 5 years but after a tac handgun course I got a lot better, but I still have to focus on my fundamentals to do decent past 15y or so.

This is about as fast as I can shoot while staying in an upper chest sized target. Still have a LONG way to go. Just bought that 19 on the 11th already got 400 through it

About 10y on a 7"x10" target
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#36]
This is exactly the thread I needed.  Had a piss poor day at the range today on my new g23.  Lots of great advice I'm gonna try out this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:34:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Lots of great info and laughs, read all the posts. I 've shot pistols all my life and wasn't able to hit the side of the barn until I learned the proper grip. Adding one more thought is the importance of upper arm and chest strength in securing a tight grip.
Watching video's on the internet I really did improve my shooting. My G23 is the most accurate Glock I've owned, 25yd's off a sand bag= under 2". Shoots almost as good off hand. I too have to reach down to press the trigger. What works for me is the side of my trigger finger resting on the frame at the trigger pin hole. Gives me a more controlled trigger press. Do your dry firing at close range, you will see movement better then afar, aim small miss small concept. Hold the pistol rock solid, like the internet big boys do.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Do your dry firing at close range, you will see movement better then afar, aim small miss small concept.
View Quote

What does this mean?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:53:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

What does this mean?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do your dry firing at close range, you will see movement better then afar, aim small miss small concept.

What does this mean?

If you shot at a guy and miss by 2 inches it's a miss.
If you shoot at one of the shirt buttons on his chest and miss by 2 inches, you still hit him in the chest.
Over simplified answer but the basic concept
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

If you shoot at one of the shirt buttons on his chest and miss by 2 inches, you still hit him in the chest.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does this mean?

I'm talking about in the dry fire context he mentioned.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does this mean?

With the way your eyes focus, its easier to track two objects that are closer to you rather than one that is far and one that is close.

If you dry fire close at a small object, you can see EXACTLY where your front sight moves relative to what your aiming at with both objects in pretty good focus.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top