BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

OK, the ergonomics of a slide mounted safety take a bit of training to use reliably and they are slower to use than a frame mounted unit.   Still good (reliable, accurate) guns though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
p-series.  They're ugly lumps.  They go bang, but zero sexy factor.
sexy has nothing to do with protecting yourself.

OK, the ergonomics of a slide mounted safety take a bit of training to use reliably and they are slower to use than a frame mounted unit.   Still good (reliable, accurate) guns though.

I'd take one for free, but I'd much rather have the ppx, canik, used glock, m&p, used 75/85, tanfoglio cheapie, etc.

The p-series are just pretty dated, and look like hi-points

Why not get something with some "cool factor?"
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Over the last 4 or 5 years I've picked up a stippled G19, S&W 669, 4026, S&W model 13, Model 67, Model 28, CZ P-07 and probably a few others for $300 or less.

There's someone out there with a nice gun that they'd let go for $300, especially since christmas is coming up.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You can get a P-series Ruger in 9mm used for sub 300 all day.
View Quote

Yep. I keep a P95 with a TLR-1 on my nighstand.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool to one, isn't to another.

I think the P- series is plenty cool.  They look like weapons from a 50's sci-fi flick.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#5]
edit -
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I never was a Taurus Believer until now..  I bought the G2 2 weeks ago.. I have 500 rds through it.  I never even cleaned it when I got it. when I say not one misfire or stovepipe or anything wrong I mean it..  I fed it a variety of ammo too..  Trigger is a bit long but I got use to it real quick..  All the hater go ahead and chime in while I go blow off another 100 rounds,  lol..   Now for my CW Kahr 380, that was another story.. special ammo, special hold, then go to church and say 5 hail Marys and a few our fathers.. Finicky gun for sure.. but after  a 200rd breaking in period , she is my carry 380.   BTW, Lakeside Inc, sells aftermarket products for Kahr and Taurus.. I picked up the rod and spring set and Tritium Night Sights.   Total cost for gun 200 ship 20, rod kit and Tritium Night Sights $120..    For $340 I got a kick ass 9MM... Matter of fact I am in the market for the SS model soon.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I just picked up a used 9mm M&P Shield, LNIB, with two boxes for range ammo for $280 this week. Deals are out there.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 5:56:05 AM EDT
[#8]
If it doesn't have to be new.
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned

FEG hi power clones
S&W surplus 910's & 915's
Surplus 59 series

The one I recommend for non shooter who wants to own a handgun

A police trade S&W model 10-best deal going if you can find them
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

FEG hi power clones
Surplus 59 series

View Quote

those are all really heavy guns.  Should they decide to start carrying, they'd need to get another gun
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

those are all really heavy guns.  Should they decide to start carrying, they'd need to get another gun
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FEG hi power clones
Surplus 59 series

You do realize those types of handguns were carry guns from 1940s-1990s right?
Lots of people (myself included) carried those types of guns - steel framed revolvers and autos, long before polymer pistols were more common.

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FEG hi power clones
Surplus 59 series

Hi-Powers are not "really heavy guns", and neither is an alloy framed S&W 5904, which is only 6oz heavier than a Glock 19.
CDI has a bunch of third generation S&W double stack 9mm autos right around your price OP. That would be my suggestion.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Slide mounted controls are
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 12:10:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FEG hi power clones
Surplus 59 series

Yes they are, compared to some. But there is a reason they are still around too. Quality built and rock solid. People still carry full frame 1911's religiously(wish I could, just doesn't fit my daily routine).  Nothing wrong with another gun for carry. I'd bet most have dedicated carry and home defense guns, I do.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 12:30:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Home Defense?

Get him a 12GA.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:51:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

FEG hi power clones
Surplus 59 series

View Quote

I just picked up a NICE police-trade S&W 3953 under $300.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SD9 for the Best Buy.  I see them sub $300 from time to time.

Lifetime warranty by Smith & Wesson.

Gets a lot of crap flung at it for the double action revolver style trigger (which is designed to be safer for defense situations than a 3 lb hair trigger)

holds 16+1 of 9mm.   Good Solid Gun that goes BANG every time!

BIGGER_HAMMER

This

No need to look any further than the SD9VE.  I hear good things about Canilk but I worry about long term parts and service.  I've been burned by imports in the past.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Best bet is to go shopping for a used Glock, M&P or XD...even if it's a little over $300 it's worth it.  Police trade ins are usually great deals.
Buds has the S&W SD9 for $299 and the S&W Shield 9mm for $325 both new.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/2084_654_910/Police+Trade-Ins/

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I never was a Taurus Believer until now..  I bought the G2 2 weeks ago.. I have 500 rds through it.  I never even cleaned it when I got it. when I say not one misfire or stovepipe or anything wrong I mean it..  I fed it a variety of ammo too..  Trigger is a bit long but I got use to it real quick..  All the hater go ahead and chime in while I go blow off another 100 rounds,  lol..   Now for my CW Kahr 380, that was another story.. special ammo, special hold, then go to church and say 5 hail Marys and a few our fathers.. Finicky gun for sure.. but after  a 200rd breaking in period , she is my carry 380.   BTW, Lakeside Inc, sells aftermarket products for Kahr and Taurus.. I picked up the rod and spring set and Tritium Night Sights.   Total cost for gun 200 ship 20, rod kit and Tritium Night Sights $120..    For $340 I got a kick ass 9MM... Matter of fact I am in the market for the SS model soon.
View Quote

You could've gotten a police trade in G22 for that price with working NS.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Has he bought yet? Summit gun broker has beretta 92's for 289.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I would look into EAA
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top