Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2016 9:29:31 PM EDT
looking for a pocket pistol narrowed it down to  238 239 micro micro 9  I have other carry guns but want one i can put in jeans pocket or use when hot . i like a 9 better than 380 but am curious how the size will affect it any one have or had both
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#1]
For pocket pistol Ruger LCP is best option in my opinion.  Cost effective and size makes it win win.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For pocket pistol Ruger LCP is best option in my opinion.  Cost effective and size makes it win win.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I gotta throw my vote in for the 938, but I am an admitted polymer hater by nature.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Size-wise the 938 isn't much larger than the 238.  I bought the 238 and if wishes were horses, we would all have one, and if I had a do over I would have a 938.

Go to a store an compare them side by side and make your decision.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:17:06 PM EDT
[#5]
It is a 100 miles to a stocking dealer none of the little shops close have more than a hand full of pistols and most are plastic like a 1970s dart gun
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:35:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I went into the store with the intention of buying a kimber micro and came out with a p238. The sig felt better in every way, and I actually liked the beefy slide on the sig a lot better. Figured it wouldn't be as snappy with a heavier slide. One of my favorite pistols to shoot now. All day shooting comfort, disappears in a pocket. I have this thing with me always, which I didn't always do with a IWB gun. They are ugly for sure but they are the best pocket guns around.

Don't waste your time or money on an lcp. I have both, trust me. Lcp sights are trash, the trigger is trash, they are not pleasant to shoot at all.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 1:02:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I went into the store with the intention of buying a kimber micro and came out with a p238. The sig felt better in every way, and I actually liked the beefy slide on the sig a lot better. Figured it wouldn't be as snappy with a heavier slide. One of my favorite pistols to shoot now. All day shooting comfort, disappears in a pocket. I have this thing with me always, which I didn't always do with a IWB gun. They are ugly for sure but they are the best pocket guns around.

Don't waste your time or money on an lcp. I have both, trust me. Lcp sights are trash, the trigger is trash, they are not pleasant to shoot at all.
View Quote
So much trash that Hickok45's review is the exact opposite of what you had just said?

Nothing you said is even remotely true, considering I own the LCP Custom and it's far from being trash.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 1:14:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Kahr P380.  No other pocket pistol even comes close.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:21:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the Ruger LCP and the Sig 938.   The LCP is great for when I need the smallest gun I can carry possible.  

I recently picked up a 938.  It has become my favorite 9mm carry gun.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#10]
The 9mm Micro was not out yet when I bought my 380. I wanted the sig to win because of the 22 option, but the Kimber overall fit and feel in hand, plus a safety that my thumb clearly preferred over what I felt was the 'stub' of the sig, and a superior trigger pull had the Kimber follow me home.

yes 9mm is clearly more power, but more weight, and snappier a bit to slow follow up shots imho

Unless it is a revolver, shooting thru a pocket, I can't imagine reaching in my pocket for a gun without a safety.

For a barely there gun, when not carrying a normal size 9mm, I went with the lightest/smallest that still handled well for me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 6:49:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I am not interested in kahr or ruger nothing wrong with them just not my thing. I want the 9mm and it is supposedly only slightly larger but  then again my ultra carry is slightly larger
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So much trash that Hickok45's review is the exact opposite of what you had just said?

https://youtu.be/4rnppTK6PWk

Nothing you said is even remotely true, considering I own the LCP Custom and it's far from being trash.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I own both. The p238 outclasses the lcp in every way, at the expense of being slightly larger, heavier, and more expensive.

I had been searching for the perfect 24/7 pocket carry for years and that journey ended with the p238.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:13:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I own both. The p238 outclasses the lcp in every way, at the expense of being slightly larger, heavier, and more expensive.

I had been searching for the perfect 24/7 pocket carry for years and that journey ended with the p238.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I own a Mustang XSP as well. It outclasses the LCP too, but the LCP to me makes the perfect BU gun to use when you need somebody off of you right there and now.

I've tried the 238, not a bad gun though, but it didn't do anything better than the Mustang or rather, it was the same to me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:29:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Doesn't seem to be a very popular vote, but I love my non-laser BodyGuard .380 for a BUG or pocket carry. The trigger isn't horrible, it has real sights, slide locks back on empty, and shoots like a larger pistol IMO.

I went to the range with the intent of picking up the LCP after all the great reviews, but after shooting it and the BodyGuard back to back there was no comparison for me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:22:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Out of your choices I would go with the P238, they are great little guns

I would not carry anything Kimber

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I own a Mustang XSP as well. It outclasses the LCP too, but the LCP to me makes the perfect BU gun to use when you need somebody off of you right there and now.

I've tried the 238, not a bad gun though, but it didn't do anything better than the Mustang or rather, it was the same to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be all over an xsp if they would give you the option of better sights, instead of those old gi sights. An xsp with night sights would probably be pocket perfection.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I would be all over an xsp if they would give you the option of better sights, instead of those old gi sights. An xsp with night sights would probably be pocket perfection.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better sights? You need more range time because I can hit very good with just the factory standards one handed at 15 yards even.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I've had a lot of different small pistols over the years, and my current favorite (and in my pocket now) is the 938. Love the little guns.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:07:08 AM EDT
[#19]
both the sigs and kimber's are based on the same design. the only difference is the  sigs are squared off , come with night sights and the kimbers are more rounded. i own both models of both brands.the .380 versions  are smaller and lighter the the 9mm's.

but they are all single action which are designed  to carry cocked and locked. not something i would want in my pocket. you would be much better off with a doa pocket pistol.

as far as what you are choosing from it will come down to personal taste.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:37:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
both the sigs and kimber's are based on the same design. the only difference is the  sigs are squared off , come with night sights and the kimbers are more rounded. i own both models of both brands.the .380 versions  are smaller and lighter the the 9mm's.

but they are all single action which are designed  to carry cocked and locked. not something i would want in my pocket. you would be much better off with a doa pocket pistol.

as far as what you are choosing from it will come down to personal taste.
View Quote

I thought the same thing.  Then I found out the safety on the 938 locks the hammer and not just the sear. As long as the pocket holser to IWB holster protects the safety from being switched off I can't see any reason not to. That is just my opinion.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:09:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Since I purchased my kahr cw9 the g43 and p938 came out. After shooting them all side to side, including the kimber and rugers micros Ive come to love the 938. With hogue grips and the pinky extension i can shoot it as well, almost, as a full size.

I still dont own one because I shoot my cw9 almost as well and I hardly ever carry anything smaller than a compact/g19 size anyways
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I think i am going to give the 9mm a try
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:06:27 AM EDT
[#23]
The Sig P938 is a good choice!

Bought a P238 SAS a couple of years ago. It's the model with all the metal edges rounded over so it's perfect for no snag carry. The compact size is great but I have large hands and my pinky always hung off the bottom of the mag. When the P938 SAS came out I found it had a slightly longer grip and with the extended mag it fits a lot better. Bought the P938 SAS about a year ago and I love it. Added a CT Laserguard to it too.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:56:01 PM EDT
[#24]
went with the micro 9 fit in jeans pocket fine 380 might have been better but it is comfortable. put 2 boxes through it one box at 25 yards resting against the truck door one at 15 with no rest about half were in a four inch hole at the center the rest were right around it. for a small pistol it shot great and ate right through them not a formal just popped a feed bag after feeding cows cant wait to go do some serious shooting.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:46:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a kimber micro 380 and a ruger lcp. I love the kimber! It looks way better than the sig and I think feels better. It way outclasses the lcp due to the great trigger, sights, and grip. The lcp does disappear better in a pocket because it is so thin but the kimber is not really thick so it's fine for pocket carry. I always wanted a sig 238 until the kimbers came out
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:26:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I've had a fair number of pocket and single stack 9mm carry guns, the one I had carried by far the most was a Kel Tec P3AT, because I could just drop it in my pocket holster. Then I tried a P238, and was sold. My wife really liked the SAS, and could run it easily, so we bought one. It's very nearly the same silhouette as the P3AT, albeit wider, and doesn't come out of the pocket quite as smoothly, but not bad at all.

I take care of the maintenance in a couple  professional office buildings, and my XDS was just too much to have IWB all day long, bending over and up on ladders. I was always very conscious of it. The P238 in a Flashbang Betty single clip IWB holster, at about 4 o'clock solves that. Tucked in with fitted polo shirts, it's invisible. We just bought a second SAS, so we both carry one daily now. My nephew just bought a 938 and we shot them side by side, it's also excellent, and much smaller than the XDS 9mm.

That said, there is a large difference in size between the 238 and 938, if you're carrying it IWB or in the pocket. I'm 5'9", 175lbs, and in properly fitting Levi's or the like, you're not pocket carrying a 938 without it being noticeable. My nephew wears looser clothes, and even with much bigger pockets, the 938 was too much for him. The 238 is the ultimate tiny pistol, in my opinion. They're expensive, however they've been 100% reliable out of the box, and very accurate, enjoyable to shoot, and the night sights are fantastic.

Get one, you'll be spoiled by it. I don't plan on ever getting rid of it, and hope to pass it down to my son. I can't say the same of my plastic pistols.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I cannot speak to the Kimber but I LOVE my P238, 2500 odd rounds and still going strong. My big caution to you on poly framed pocket pistols is this, for me they all beat the hell out of my hand and suck to shoot. My 238 is simply a joy to shoot, it just fits well. As far as accuracy, everyone I have let shoot my 238 has shot it better than the LCP, P3AT, or Body Guard 380. To me I will NEVER buy one of those poly framed sub compacts, you dont loose that much size but you loose shootability, and lets be honest, if you dont train with your carry pistol youre doing it wrong so your carry pistol needs to be shootable. This is simply my opinion, but it is one that has been echoed by many of my friends and family...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top