Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2016 3:09:28 PM EDT
1) Will occasionally run suppressed.
2) Will occasionally run in 2-gun.
3) Will occasionally carry.

Been considering mainly the M&P Ported Core.
Will add:
-Apex Trigger
-Non-Ported threaded barrel for suppressed/carry.
-RMR or similar when shooting suppressed.

Other options? Or pull the trigger.

Edit:

Thanks for all the input.

Ordered the Apex Polymer trigger and Competition Action Enhancement kit.  Now to decide on an RMR... lots of options.  Will pick up a threaded barrel closer to when my pistol suppressor comes in.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm an M&P fan.  I own several (although not the specific model you mention) and they have all been excellent performers.  Go for it!
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#2]
If you like the M&P go for it.  What are you considering other than the M&P or is that the only thing you have tried.  I have an M&P 9 and 9c while they are good reliable pistols the stock trigger on them suck.  I have not done the Apex trigger kits on them either.
My carry and love in PolyPistols are Glocks.  I also like the P320 and plan to add one to the collection one day when I find a good used price.  Other good polypistols to consider are the PPQ, VP9, G19, P320, SR9, XD XDm in the striker fired group and in the hammer USP, P30, P2000, P2022 .  I will not try and tell you not to get the M&P because it is a good reliable pistol with good aftermarket support in holsters, sights, and trigger upgrades.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a few Glocks that were given to me, but I gave them to my sister.  Had an older P226 for awhile, but the grips then were just too large to have a comfortable DA pull.  I played with a newer Glock and a few of the other major polymer players, the M&P felt the best except for the trigger was absolute garbage (normally shoot my 19/2011s).  I told a friend I liked the feel of the M&P but the trigger was garbage, he happened to have the internal part of the Apex trigger upgrade in a shield but still with the factory trigger.  It much improved the pull (but the hinged trigger was still garbage).  With Apex's non-hinged flat trigger I believe I will be happy, but no personal experience with the whole setup.

The only other one I was possibly considering was a CZ TS Orange and not bothering with the suppressor for awhile (it's mostly a novelty for me on a pistol).
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm all 9mm M&P's so I'm behind that part.

You don't really want a ported gun for a carry firearm though.  Consider shooting from retention and where that puts the ports.

It also tends to make the gun dirty as hell too from crap it blasts underneath the slide, but that's a different issue.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm all 9mm M&P's so I'm behind that part.

You don't really want a ported gun for a carry firearm though.  Consider shooting from retention and where that puts the ports.

It also tends to make the gun dirty as hell too from crap it blasts underneath the slide, but that's a different issue.
View Quote

2nd barrel will not be ported.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the regular core and like it

I'd pass on the ported model but that's just me
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm an M&P fan.  I own several (although not the specific model you mention) and they have all been excellent performers.  Go for it!
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Roughly 1,200 rounds through my M&P 40c with zero issues....with that said, M&P triggers are probably the worst stock triggers on the market.  Mushy, almost non existent reset etc.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a core, a standard full size and a compact. The triggers are not great ,but usable,  , they seem to wear in with use.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#10]
If you plan on carrying and mostly using the threaded barrel, just get a regular M&P9.  I carry a G19 mostly due to size and weight.  If Smith made a mid-size M&P, that would be my one-and-only.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Roughly 1,200 rounds through my M&P 40c with zero issues....with that said, M&P triggers are probably the worst stock triggers on the market.  Mushy, almost non existent reset etc.
View Quote

"Non-existent reset"??? My M&P 9 has amazing reset, possibly the best reset of any handgun I own. Incredibly short and positive.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:46:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I have an M&P 40 full size. Absolutely love it. Hated the stock trigger though so i recently put in the polymer apex trigger and spring. The trigger is now near perfect. Crisp break barely any take up and a short distinct reset. Def go for it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

"Non-existent reset"??? My M&P 9 has amazing reset, possibly the best reset of any handgun I own. Incredibly short and positive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a fellow M&P 9 owner, I would advise you to go out and try some other triggers for perspective.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:02:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As a fellow M&P 9 owner, I would advise you to go out and try some other triggers for perspective.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe the M&Ps made in 2012ish had a non existent reset. Newer ones are decent, but not as audible/loud as other pistols.

Its better than no reset though.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:11:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You really need to get out more....go find a Walther ppq or HK VP9 to shoot then report back.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:05:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd probably go with one of the suppressor ready versions of the CZ-07 or -09 myself
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:13:21 AM EDT
[#17]
If you like the M&P I say go for it

I bought one years ago because it felt great in my hand at the LGS, but after shooting it a lot I could not get over the pure shit trigger and went back to the Glock

Since you plan on running it suppressed I would not recommend Glock since they don't suppress all that well.  Maybe a CZ polymer frame or Sig P2022

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:50:42 AM EDT
[#18]
9c and 45c owner here. both have been 100% reliable. IMHO you cannot go wrong with an M&P.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#19]
M&P w/ Apex trigger it is then.  Will look for a core or ported version that includes a threaded barrel with it.  Aftermarket ones seem to all be ~$200 If I just got the pistol and bought the threaded separately.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:50:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You really need to get out more....go find a Walther ppq or HK VP9 to shoot then report back.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The last 3 2016 production M&P's I have felt all had far better triggers than the one's I bought from 2012-2014.

The reset on all were incredibly close to where an apex trigger will get you, and they were *almost* as smooth.

They've come a long way and I would actually put them close to VP9 in terms of overall feel.  Not great, but not bad.  The PPQ however is in a different league than both.  It feels as good or even better than an apex'ed M&P.

My gripes with the M&P's:

1- accuracy/sloppy lockup
2- inconsistency in machining

If they'd tighten these things up and cut the key components more consistently, I'd have never ditched them to go back to Glock.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I recently switched from Glock to M&P for duty use (also switched from 45 to 9 which was the reason for the change to begin with). I'm loving the M&P so far and going to start using it for USPSA.

However, the Glock 19 is really hard to beat for a great all around polymer wonder 9. If you want full size then go for whatever floats your boat but if concealability is a factor my vote is for the 19 all day.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:39:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I had a few Glocks that were given to me, but I gave them to my sister.  Had an older P226 for awhile, but the grips then were just too large to have a comfortable DA pull.  I played with a newer Glock and a few of the other major polymer players, the M&P felt the best except for the trigger was absolute garbage (normally shoot my 19/2011s).  I told a friend I liked the feel of the M&P but the trigger was garbage, he happened to have the internal part of the Apex trigger upgrade in a shield but still with the factory trigger.  It much improved the pull (but the hinged trigger was still garbage).  With Apex's non-hinged flat trigger I believe I will be happy, but no personal experience with the whole setup.

The only other one I was possibly considering was a CZ TS Orange and not bothering with the suppressor for awhile (it's mostly a novelty for me on a pistol).
View Quote

if it's a range toy, get the cz ts, they are great fun, really nice trigger and the 9mm recoils like a .22

with the exception of the pm9, I don't even bother with my polymer striker fired guns anymore
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I REALLY like the ability to vary the grip of the M&P 9mm  The ability to switch panels from S, to Med to Large is a Plus!

I love everything about the Glock 19, but the grip angle just sucks for me, as If I "point shoot" my natural point of aim is about 2 feet over their head instead of COM .

My M&P point just like my 1911 & M-9.   The Melonited Finish will help keep it going when the humidity is high, or rains are falling.

The APEX spring kit is cheap and a great BANG for the Buck upgrade.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Since you don't have any preconceived notions about what you like in a poly gun, just handle as many of the name brands as you can and see what you like. They will all get the job done. I prefer Glock due to better aftermarket support, cheap mags, plentiful parts, and ease of maintenance.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
M&P w/ Apex trigger it is then.  Will look for a core or ported version that includes a threaded barrel with it.  Aftermarket ones seem to all be ~$200 If I just got the pistol and bought the threaded separately.  

View Quote

I'm pretty sure those don't exist.  Seriously, you're better off with a basic M&P9 and buying the barrel seperate.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Owned dozens of Glocks. Because of the reliability. Now I found M&P fits better. Wife had a 9C and I have a Pro. Want another of each.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 12:29:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure those don't exist.  Seriously, you're better off with a basic M&P9 and buying the barrel seperate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could look at their website.  I already got a 5" so will have to buy aftermarket, the kit is only sold for the 4".

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_845050_-1_757896_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y]

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_845053_-1_757896_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 7:12:49 AM EDT
[#28]
At a time i owned 4 glocks, i then got a xdm and then a mp. Out of all those i only kept the xdm. I actually got a second xdm because i liked them so much. I still own sigs and a fnx tactical but out of the glocl, mp and xdm i clearly found the xdm a better fit for me. The mp was also a very comfy shooter. Glocks work, we know that! But the grip angle sucks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:30:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shot 'em. There's no question the PPQ has an infinitely better trigger, but the reset on my 2014 M&P is ridiculously better than any polymer pistol has a right to be. If you're paying attention you can really shoot it like a DA/SA gun, which is great for me because I normally loathe striker-fired pistols (the M&P is the only one I own).
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 7:54:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I must be the only person in the world that thinks the m&p trigger is just fine after you shoot about 500 rounds through it. I have an old 9c with a boat load of rounds threw it and the trigger is great. I could really care less about the reset being super soft because I never notice it while I am actually shooting.

IMO all striker fired polymer guns have shitty triggers.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#31]
There's no reset on this one.  Zero.  Can't tell when it resets either audibly or tactilely, which is fine for me.

Ordered the Apex Polymer trigger and Competition Action Enhancement kit.  Now to decide on an RMR... lots of options.    

Link Posted: 8/3/2016 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There's no reset on this one.  Zero.  Can't tell when it resets either audibly or tactilely, which is fine for me.

Ordered the Apex Polymer trigger and Competition Action Enhancement kit.  Now to decide on an RMR... lots of options.    

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/n00g77/IMG_20160802_135330_zpsec3g1epn.jpg
View Quote

Get the updated slide stop and H stamped trigger bar.

You'll have plenty of felt reset.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/n00g77/IMG_20160802_135330_zpsec3g1epn.jpg

Don't really need/want any reset, just a lighter pull and a non-hinged trigger.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top