Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2016 1:26:25 AM EDT
Looking for a pistol for the girlfriend, seems like most 380s are blowback.  What's a good locked breach design with double stack mags?  So far the Walther PK380 is the only one I find currently made. Nevermind, the PK380 is single stack
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:17:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Beretta 84?

Is she recoil sensitive?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:23:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Why 380 that limits your choices tremendously and the difference between 9mm Para vs 9mm Kurz is very nill.  Just trying to get a sense of the logic here.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:55:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Learn to reload or simply buy 9mm  "-p" gaming loads.   Same result,  more useful firearm and cheaper than buying 380 ammo
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:10:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Double tap edit
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:25:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Double stack limits the choices a whole bunch. Otherwise I would have suggested a Kahr CW380. I can shoot a box of 50 from it vs a LCP pushing the recoil limit in two magazines.

With girl friends and spouses the better advice is to let her go shoot them and nearly every time you will be completely surprised by what they finally choose.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know of a double stack lock breech 380 pistol. The largest capacity lock breech 380 I have seen is the Browning 1911 380. It has an 8 round magazine. Recoil is very mild.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Find her something she finds comfortable.
Browning BDA and Beretta 84 are double stack..13rds,  blowback, double action, mild recoil due to size and weight...
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I think you may be better off with a compact 9mm.  I've got a Beretta 84 in 380.  I like shooting it, but in my opinion recoil is more "snappy" then several smaller 9mm's.  Look at things like the S&W M&P 9c, Taurus PT111 G2,  or maybe a Ruger SR9C.  YMMV
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
been looking myself.  I don't think a double stack locked breech 380 exists.  I've settled on the Glock 42 as the softest shooting locked breech 380
View Quote

Taurus made them (mil pro, PT 638) but they are discontinued
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
been looking myself.  I don't think a double stack locked breech 380 exists.  I've settled on the Glock 42 as the softest shooting locked breech 380

Look for a used one.

Should be some around.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:33:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm assuming you're looking for a locked-breach .380 because of recoil and spring pressure? If so, consider a Walther CCP. The gas-delayed blowback design leaves you with a compact 9mm with a light recoil spring and easy recoil. Your girlfriend might have no problem with that.

Otherwise, as already noted, your options are slim. Bersa makes a double stack version of their .380 and, despite being a blowback, the slide isn't all that hard to rack.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:42:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm assuming you're looking for a locked-breach .380 because of recoil and spring pressure? If so, consider a Walther CCP. The gas-delayed blowback design leaves you with a compact 9mm with a light recoil spring and easy recoil. Your girlfriend might have no problem with that.

Otherwise, as already noted, your options are slim. Bersa makes a double stack version of their .380 and, despite being a blowback, the slide isn't all that hard to rack.
View Quote

This is my suggestion, the CCP seems to be about the closest thing that comes to mind. I have no experience with it, but I've heard good things though it doesn't get much press. I'd assume this is because it fills a pretty small niche and is surrounded by more mainstream choices.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Go the the Walther Forum and read about the trail of tears that is the CCP.

It is really made by Umarex in Arnsberg, not Walther in Ulm.  

It's not in the same class as the P99 AS or PPQ, not even close...
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Looking for a pistol for the girlfriend, seems like most 380s are blowback.  What's a good locked breach design with double stack mags?  So far the Walther PK380 is the only one I find currently made. Nevermind, the PK380 is single stack
View Quote

Not to talk you out of a double, but what size are her hands (subjective) ?
What weapon platform is she comfortable gripping and actually shooting ?
This is more important than just looking for a double stack in my humble opinion.

I did a lot of looking and trying out for my daughter a year ago, and I got what fit her the best and she could shoot accurately and comfortably.
We were both happy with trying different ones and seeing what worked.
Good luck on your search, we had fun doing it.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Oops OP said locked breach.  Reading is fundamental.

I had a CZ83 for a couple years.  Recoil was a bit snappy but controllable.
Better than my Bersa.
Trigger was excellent.  Sights good.  Accuracy better than my Commander.
I'm kicking my ass for getting rid of it.

Oh well.  Give the CZ83 a look if you run into one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I am going to pick up an EAA povona.  In 380 it is blowback, but it is a 13+1 30oz 380.  Should be decent to introduce shooters with.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#19]
SCCY cpx-3 is a locked breach .380 with 10+1 capacity.  I haven't seen one in the wild yet nor do I personally know anything about SCCY reliability.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Go the the Walther Forum and read about the trail of tears that is the CCP.

It is really made by Umarex in Arnsberg, not Walther in Ulm.  

It's not in the same class as the P99 AS or PPQ, not even close...
View Quote

Agreed.... Buddy of mine picked up a CCP against my advice and it has been a nightmare so he traded it for a Shield and is happy now.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:05:14 AM EDT
[#21]
If your buying a weapon for the girlfriend let her pick it out. Trust me it will save you money and headaches. My wife wanted her own and told me she wanted a small revolver because she didn't want to deal with the slide and all that. Bought a small revolver and she hated it, I didn't like it either luck enough had friend looking for one. We tried 9mm didn't like it, tried 380's and she didn't like the small ones and on and on. Friend had a Beretta 84 she tried and loved it but felt the grip was to big for her hand. End of story found a Beretta 85fs single stack and she loves going to the range to shoot her gun.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Skip the .380 and just go with a 9mm.  Blowback .380's recoil just as much as a 9mm locked breach, and the .380 locked breach options suck...

In the end let her pick her own carry gun.  If she can't do that, then she is not ready to carry...

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If your buying a weapon for the girlfriend let her pick it out. Trust me it will save you money and headaches. My wife wanted her own and told me she wanted a small revolver because she didn't want to deal with the slide and all that. Bought a small revolver and she hated it, I didn't like it either luck enough had friend looking for one. We tried 9mm didn't like it, tried 380's and she didn't like the small ones and on and on. Friend had a Beretta 84 she tried and loved it but felt the grip was to big for her hand. End of story found a Beretta 85fs single stack and she loves going to the range to shoot her gun.
View Quote

This. Let her try then pick out the handgun that *she* likes, regardless of caliber, capacity or action type.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#24]
The SIG p250 is available as a .380.

15+1, locked breech, DAO.

Tamara Keel wrung one out in a 2000 round challenge and liked it a lot.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the scoop on the Sig and SCCY!  I'll probably pick up both.  I'll let her choose among those and the many other handguns in my collection.  If she doesn't like it, it'll just be another toy for the gun room.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:  The SIG p250 is available as a .380.

15+1, locked breech, DAO.

Tamara Keel wrung one out in a 2000 round challenge and liked it a lot.  
View Quote

Look hard for one complete or a conversion kit.  I think they're discontinued in the US.  Trigger will probably be awful.

Also might take a look @ 9x19mm Hornady Critical Defense Lite - takes 9x19mm down to almost .380" levels.  That in a full size 9x19mm 1911 would be a very soft shooting pistol that's easy to rack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top