Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2016 6:52:57 AM EDT
Spent some time trolling Youtube awhile back, ran across some of Pat McNamara's videos. (Guy is the very definition of badass) Heard the oddest thing; "Sink more finger on the trigger." Figured it was just a fad, I've had it beaten into my head since I was six years old to use the pad of my finger, unless using the middle finger.

Recently, I was at the range and recalled that little tidbit. "Fuck it, we'll do it live," I said. Set up targets at 15Y, 25Y, and 50Y. Running a stock Glock 19, Speer 115Gr FMJ.

Ran 15 rounds at each target standing, first with the "proper" trigger finger placement, as I was taught. 2" at 15Y. 4.25" at 25Y. Just a hair under 6" at 50Y.

Reset the targets and ran the drill again, this time with the trigger placed in between the fore knuckles of my trigger finger. Holy shit, this actually works.  1.25" at 15Y.  Just a hair over 2.25" at 25Y. Goddamn 3.75" at 50Y. I really took my time at the 50Y line, but goddamn. I regret not having my phone to take pictures of it.

I tried the drill a couple more times before I got rained out, but I was getting consistently better groups. Bear in mind, other the than 50Y, I was firing as fast as I could acquire my sights. I'm no bullseye shooter, shocked the hell out of myself, figured I must've missed the target completely a few times until I pulled it down and flipped it over.

Anyone else got tips/tricks for improving trigger control?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#1]

That's nice shooting.

Did you pull trigger slowly until it braked or pump it fast?

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#2]
The thing that I have found most helpful is to "finish flat", which changes by where the trigger breaks. Essentially, you pull back to the friction point, and adjust your finger until it is flat against the trigger, then use that spot on your finger as the contact point. Check and see if that is what you're doing. I agree that unless you're shooting slow-fire bullseye, the pad of your finger isn't the right way to go, it is just a good place to start.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Just took Macs two day TAPs pistol class. And ya. More finger on the trigger and don't speed up or slow down on the press. The key is consistant trigger speed. He called it  " not going over 5mph". Crazy how it works.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's nice shooting.

Did you pull trigger slowly until it braked or pump it fast?

View Quote

I was focusing on getting the trigger to break how I wanted while watching the sights not move the way I expected, but I wasn't really taking my time until I went to the 50 yard line.

Acquire sights, take up the slack, exhale, pull. Roughly seven or eight shots per minute, I think. 15Y was a bit faster, but not by much. 50Y was 2-4 shots per minute.

If I'd known ahead of time, I would've brought my old man along, I'd like to see him run the same drill, 'cuz I know he's a much better shot than I am.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Focus on the front sight

Pretend you're trigger finger is pressing the front sight, through the rear sight

Press it through evenly with out letting it touch the rear sight

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Just took Macs two day TAPs pistol class. And ya. More finger on the trigger and don't speed up or slow down on the press. The key is consistant trigger speed. He called it  " not going over 5mph". Crazy how it works.
View Quote
Shooting double action is great for mastering this ability. It's about a smooth press. Consistent is the perfect word.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Shooting double action is great for mastering this ability. It's about a smooth press. Consistent is the perfect word.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The pressure on the trigger has a cascade effect on your grip, and the two are interconnected.

You need a well developed and consistent grip to maintain good sight alignment.  However, when it comes to precision shooting in DA mode, even the best grip is affected by the pressure on the trigger finger. That's where a smooth, consistent trigger pull pays off.

Fast or slow, I treat it the same with a smooth consistent pull right up to the point it's about to break, and then I pause to verify the sights are aligned.  With enough practice, the sights will automatically be aligned as the pistol rises into your line of sight (a function of a good, constant grip and muscle memory), and the pause is just to a) verify the sight alignment and b) verify the target and the need to shoot, and it can be very short - around 1/10th of a second or less.  

----

The key to accurate pistol shooting in SA isn't much different than accurate shooting with a rifle, - it comes down to controlling the pressure on the trigger so that you are increasing pressure when the sight alignment is good and holding the pressure when the sight picture isn't good to ensure the shot breaks with a good sight picture.  

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:15:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I've found that more finger on the trigger as PM describes is what got my groups to decrease in size. And I agree, he's a bad ass with a potty mouth I am in sync with
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top