Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2016 2:26:08 PM EDT
I have a class in 90 minutes I might pick some up to shoot with since it's what will be loaded when I'm at home.  Normally I just shoot Winchester white box but that's not what's loaded when I'm home.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I always like critical duty. I can't recall ever reading anyone having feeding issues like some other brands.  But your better off searching the topic with your actual gun.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#2]
230 gr Federal HST
230 gr Speer Gold Dot
230 gr Winchester Ranger T
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
230 gr Federal HST
230 gr Speer Gold Dot

View Quote

Both of those work fine. Never tried the Winchester.

Oh, it's an HK45. The Winchester will work fine also.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#4]
230 gr Fedral HST or
230 gr +P Federal HST
Best of the BEST!
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Winchester ranger and SPEER gold dot in all of mine (all of my pistols are .45 or .38/.357) but I don't own any HK

Edit: I lied, my LCP is loaded with Winchester PDX1
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
230 gr Federal HST
230 gr Speer Gold Dot
View Quote

Yep, others will work.  These are top notch.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

The PDX1 is the same bullet as the Winchester Ranger Bonded.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#8]
230 gr Federal HST
230 gr Speer Gold Dot

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. I was more making note of my exclusion of the caliber
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:13:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
230 gr Federal HST
230 gr Speer Gold Dot
View Quote

Yes, yes, and yes.

Everything else is sub-par performance. Someone else mentioned critical duty, but based on my research it does not perform as expected/desired/advertised.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#12]
HST, gold dots, Winchester ranger. All available in 50rd packs at a fair price.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I always like critical duty. I can't recall ever reading anyone having feeding issues like some other brands.  But your better off searching the topic with your actual gun.
View Quote

Have you used these in a HK45?

The only ammo  I won't consider in 45 for my HK's is Hornady. I have read several instances where people have issues with Hornady and chamber issues in  HK's in 45.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The only ammo  I won't consider in 45 for my HK's is Hornady. I have read several instances where people have issues with Hornady and chamber issues in  HK's in 45.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've fired Hormady XTP's in my USP45. No issues.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Personally, I like 200gr JHP's for my 45acp SD loads.  Good combination of weight and speed.  The Hornady XTP and Speer GD in +P are my favorites.  YMMV
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I used ranger in mine.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:45:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

230 gr Federal HST

230 gr Speer Gold Dot

View Quote
That's it. HST in my nightstand .45 and my 1911 gets the Ranger T, and Gold Dots are always acceptable.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:45:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Ranger T 230 is my departments ammo so that's all I use. Excellent performance through glass and vehicles as tested by me so take it for what it's worth.

Edit: should have said used to use as I have recently switched to 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:05:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Black Hills 230 Gr JHP for me.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:12:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's a deep penetrating round, I was surprised at the results and to see a uniformed nice expansion. Makes me wonder if they're using the XTP with a tad more oomph.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:22:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That's a deep penetrating round, I was surprised at the results and to see a uniformed nice expansion. Makes me wonder if they're using the XTP with a tad more oomph.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC they also offer a +P round and one with with the Barnes Tac HP as well.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:25:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
230 gr Federal HST
230 gr Speer Gold Dot
View Quote

The barnes 185 grain bullet will work too. Those 4 will all work, buy what you can find.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:34:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't been all that impressed yet with any .45 ACP +P rounds and am leery of anything in 185 weight...or even 200 weight for that matter in just .45 ACP. I could compromise with the 185 critical defense as it's close enough to be in my comfort zone as far as penetration goes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Personally I prefer the 185 grain gold dot out of a FNX.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#25]
I've shot both the 230 HST and the 230 Ranger bonded through my HK45T.  No issues.  I stick with the HST only because my 1911 prefers the Rangers.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:07:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Whatever quality JHP 230 grain that is on sale. My HK doesn't care.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:20:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you happen to have any links to the tests of that round? Used the Google machine but didn't have much luck....
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Do you happen to have any links to the tests of that round? Used the Google machine but didn't have much luck....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it was done by myself. I still have a few left. If you would like and can remind me in September, I will go test them again when I buy new sim-test blocks and get another member local to me to record it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No, it was done by myself. I still have a few left. If you would like and can remind me in September, I will go test them again when I buy new sim-test blocks and get another member local to me to record it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be cool. So what kind of penetration did you get on your previous test?
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 12:55:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That would be cool. So what kind of penetration did you get on your previous test?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry for taking so long, had to dig up the data from the spreadsheet.

17.1 inches from 10 feet with a Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded, no barrier or denim.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

17.1 inches from 10 feet with a Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded, no barrier or denim.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Originally Posted By

That's nice!! Thanks for sharing, I wonder how that round would do on javelina
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top