Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2016 8:51:39 PM EDT
Looking at the xds 45 any reviews out there y'all would want to share before I purchase this pistol? I've read about the recoil is it bad as some people say?
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Son has one and it's a nice gun. It's a tad hot but bearable. Remember it's a 45 with a 3.3" barrel so it'll be "quick". I'd go for it. Or wait for the new Shield 45
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#2]
The recoil is, and I hate to say it, Snappy.  I shoot more 45acp than most, mainly from full size and commander size 1911s.  

My friend bought one, and he does not like it.  I fired 4-5 mags and I did not like it either. Even with the extended mag.  Pretty accurate rested, but we were all over again he place standing.
Same friend tried my RO compact, and he bought one of those.  For me, the officer size is as small as I go.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#3]
When is shield 45 getting released.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I will add, with a better trigger it would be easier to shoot. His trigger had to be 8-10 lbs.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#5]
love mine... its my EDC.   I bought a MP Shield 9MM while it was in getting fixed and thought it would become my EDC but once the XDS came back she just had to go back in the waist... something about a nearly 1/2" hole looking at you that i like
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I love mine. Im surprisingly very accurate with it
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#7]

I agree it is snappy in recoil.

I bought one of those neoprene sleeves and it helps a lot in making it more pleasant. My female cousin, average in size, fairly new to pistols, shots several mags thru it and did not say it bothered her at all with the sleeve.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When is shield 45 getting released.
View Quote

My LGS called me yesterday to let me know they got one in.  It's at my house today.  :-). The grip is outstanding, unless you conceal carry without an undershirt as it's very aggressive..  I plan to have a range day with it this week.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:14:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I like mine and carry it all the time, it is very accurate.  The recoil is deffinetly noticeable, i thought it would be horrible but its really not if you hold on 2-3 shots with the shortest mag and my pinky starts to slide off so i usually end up readjusting my grip a little
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#10]
It's been my off-duty for 3 years.

Very enjoyable to shoot. It was made for the 45 round and handles the recoil well for such a small pistol. The stock sights (specifically the front sight which is fiber optic) is pretty hard to see in low-light so I switched them out for Diamond Speed Night Sights.

Two "problems" I've had:
1. racking the slide is one of the main contributors to having a FTF. So much so that I, and many others, recommend using the slide stop/release to chamber a round 100% of the time.
2. my xds hates Hornady Critical Duty/defense and zombie max ammo. Something about those HP inserts cause FTF's on my feed ramp. I've tried many different types and those were the only ones that gave me problems. I carry 230 HST's in it.

It's a great pistol and worth the cost. Some people complain about the trigger and install a trigger kit but I haven't needed to.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the responses I ordered the FDE xds 45.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Carried mine for about 3 years and shot it a lot at the range. Never had a malfunction in roughly 2000-2500 rounds. I really enjoyed it until I sent it in for the recall. The only thing I did to mine was add grip tape. Plenty accurate and recoil wasn't bad at all. I preferred the shorter mags so I could tuck my pinky underneath. Winthrop holster.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I love mine.  One idiosyncrasy is that you cannot sling-shot the first round into the chamber- the only way to get that first round in (on mine) is to thumb the slide stop down- 100% every time.  Very weird but if that's what it takes then that's what it takes.  

It's snappy, but somehow I doubt I'll notice it if I'm shooting for my life.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:21:19 AM EDT
[#14]
It's not that snappy... I enjoy shooting mine.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:23:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Been my off duty carry for a few years now. I think it handles the recoil at least as well as my larger G30. I was surprised at how pleasant it was to shoot. The sights are great in light but leave some to be desired in low light. I don't mind the trigger but it's a complaint I hear a lot. Only thing I have done to mine is talon grips. That's just a personal preference. Never had a malfunction over a few thousand rounds. I had issues for a bit where my high grip was riding the slide stop causing the slide not to lock back on an empty mag. Corrected myself and no problems
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:49:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I put the PRP trigger on it just like I did on my XDm's, worth it. I don't shoot well at all with a heavy trigger, so it was a no brainer for me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:50:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I carry mine all the time, either @appendix or ankle holster. It is slightly snappy, but thats a given with its short barrel and grip. I find the trigger to be better than Glocks or Shields.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:23:11 AM EDT
[#18]
So this gun has issues chambering the first round?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So this gun has issues chambering the first round?
View Quote

Not mine
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Loved mine it was very accurate! Not something I would want to shoot a lot of round through, but I would put 100 through it a month to stay proficient with it.

I did switch to a G43, just because all my other guns are in 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#21]
The one I shot was accurate and not very difficult to control either.

Overall a terrific little .45.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Loved mine it was very accurate! Not something I would want to shoot a lot of round through, but I would put 100 through it a month to stay proficient with it.

I did switch to a G43, just because all my other guns are in 9mm.
View Quote

fwiw, you can buy the xds in 9mm now... I carry the .45 though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top