Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2016 8:20:49 PM EDT
I am considering a new 9mm with a work bonus.  I currently have mainly 1911's and a Sig P6 for 9mm.  

I was looking at either an M&P with upgraded sights and the Apex DCAEK or the new Sig Legion.  I haven't decided on 226 or 229 yet.  

Tell me what I should buy.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Legion SAO scratches the "I want something nice" itch better.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Legion SAO scratches the "I want something nice" itch better.
View Quote
FPNI
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#3]
That's like asking if you should buy a LS450 or a Corolla.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have the dough buy yourself the SIG.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:53:50 PM EDT
[#5]
And M&P with Apex trigger and decent sights is about as nice a full-size as you'll get.  If you plan on showing off the new pistol to your friends, get the Sig.  If you plan on beating the shit out of your new pistol, get the M&P.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:03:02 AM EDT
[#6]

M&P
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:40:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I have both M&Ps and SIGS; I like them both and shoot them regularly, but the SIGS are in another catagory altogether.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#8]
The question is do you want the hot athletic girl that turns heads everywhere you go or do you want the girl that everyone is friends with but really only date her because she is easy.

Sig SAO Legion>M&P
Corvette Z06 w/Z07 package vs Chevy Curze
Intel i7 vs Celeron
4k vs 480i

Both do the same thing but one is just that much better at doing it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#9]
The legion sao is one of the nicest guns out there.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#10]
CZ 75 SP-01 with a full Cajun Gun Works Pro package.

But of your options the Sig all day. The custom CZ blows the Sig away though IMO.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#11]
The trigger reset on the Legion is ridiculously good. If you don't mind a DA/SA pistol thats the one I would choose.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's like asking if you should buy a LS450 or a Corolla.
View Quote

Basically, yeah.

I've got a V-Tac M&P with an Apex trigger job, but I'd trade it in a heartbeat for the Sig.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Tell me what I should buy.
View Quote

What will you use it for?

I would go Sig, but that is just me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But of your options the Sig all day. The custom CZ blows the Sig away though IMO.
View Quote

Lol no. Hipster commie gun.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#15]
M&P vs Sig
Sig every time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see a lot of SIGS at USPSA-IPSC or IDPA

CZ is a solid choice

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#17]
The Sig is Presentation grade.  I'd be worried to really get to Thrashing it...

The M&P Polymer & Melonited finish I wouldn't worry about out in the field or the rough spots...

I have several M&Ps because I want firearms I don't have to baby

Different Tools for similar results...

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:30:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe it is a hipster commie gun but they are damn sweet shooters with only one draw back and that is the non-existent slide to grip.  Hate all you want but they are sweet shooters even right out of the box.  This is coming from a Glock Sig guy granted I shoot a Glock better than anything else I can pick up a CZ and I just shoot them well unlike a Sig it took me more practice to shoot it very well.  When I say shoot well I expect myself to shoot a baseball to softball size group at 20m with no more than a second per shot to say I am shooting something well.  The CZ 15 mins and 100 rounds of ammo I was able to do that the Sig took me awhile to accomplish this.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The trigger reset on the Legion is ridiculously good. If you don't mind a DA/SA pistol thats the one I would choose.
View Quote

The P226 Legion is available SAO as well.

The Legion guns are definitely among the nicest out-of-the-box factory guns on the market right now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The Legion guns are definitely among the nicest out-of-the-box factory guns on the market right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed minus the SAO part.  Check out sigtalk.  They've got a few quirks that shouldn't be found in a 1400 dollar gun, and CS refuses to acknowledge them.  I really hate to say it but I won't buy another Sig, as they've never made anything right when I've had issues.  And I have yet to buy a single sig that didn't have issues.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Is there a question? Sig.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CZ's have been in service longer than Glock and predates it by at least 8 years. CAG supposedly has some in it's inventories, and Czech Republic is not Russia or China and only was able to gain it's freedom after the Cold War...so calling it hipster or commie is rather ignorant of significant facts.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I have both and in several calibers. I prefer the M&P. Mainly because I don't care to scratch the M&P's. With the APEX trigger, they are amazing. I love the Sigs, but don't use them because I don't want to scratch them, except for P229R I have. That one gets beat used quite a bit. Love that thing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#24]
M&p. The triggers are sweet with Apex parts. Good ergos. I like using competitive shooting as a gauge of what's good and what's not. Those guys run harder and faster than anyone and Sig lost their team for a while because guys refused to run the classic sigs. Team dissolved until the p320 came out.

I'd also look at getting a vp9 and sending to grayguns. 34 with a DK trigger. Or maybe a ppq with an apex trigger.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
M&p. The triggers are sweet with Apex parts. Good ergos. I like using competitive shooting as a gauge of what's good and what's not. Those guys run harder and faster than anyone and Sig lost their team for a while because guys refused to run the classic sigs. Team dissolved until the p320 came out.
View Quote

That might be true, but I've seen Rodney May kick some serious ass with a P226 when he was on Team SIG.  

It really is a case of "It's the Indian, not the arrow."  Practice enough with anything that isn't a flaming piece of shit and you will do well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That might be true, but I've seen Rodney May kick some serious ass with a P226 when he was on Team SIG.  

It really is a case of "It's the Indian, not the arrow."  Practice enough with anything that isn't a flaming piece of shit and you will do well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who's the deceased SA revolver guy who can take a SA with a much higher bore and make all of these haters of all things hammers and "high bore" look rather silly in their arguments? Man that guy was magical.

Bob Munden maybe?

He was living proof that it is the Indian. Taran Butler is another one with his point blank shooting with any gun.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#27]
M&P!!!!!! I have the Shield 9mm and with Apex parts made a very sweet shooting carry gun. I'm a 1911 45ACP guy but a very bad back means I carry the Shield or my new Ruger LW Commander 9mm when the back is giving me fits!!!  Not carrying is NOT an option.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm a Sig guy and I say M&P. I don't see how the Legion can shoot any better than my Combat or non rail 226 and for the price you can get two M&Ps.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm not liking the SIG Kool-Aide

You can house a family of 4 between the beavertail and slide rails of a SIG

One of the keys to rapidly shooting strings fast and accurately is a high grip on the gun.

To me,  . . . the SIG feels contrary to that.

JMHO    

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I would look for one of the L/E package S/W MP guns with fact night sights and 3 mags they have all the upgrades.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/sigFamily4_zpsf9nrxwim.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/sigFamily4_zpsf9nrxwim.jpg</a>

One of the keys to rapidly shooting strings fast and accurately is a high grip on the gun.

JMHO    

View Quote

Click to watch a
Slow shooting Sig?
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#32]
not saying they can't be shot fast

I can shoot them fast too

Just saying the ergonomics are not the best ...in my humble opinion

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:17:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Click to watch a
Slow shooting Sig?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/sigFamily4_zpsf9nrxwim.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/sigFamily4_zpsf9nrxwim.jpg</a>

JMHO    

Click to watch a
Slow shooting Sig?

Doesn't make it ideal. A high bore with a vertical grip does not lend itself to good muzzle control.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Click to watch a
Slow shooting Sig?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JMHO    

Click to watch a
Slow shooting Sig?
Well that just killed the "mah low bore" argument really good.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:02:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Those are two very different pistols, at different price points. OP I would buy the Sig, and pick up one of the M&P40 LEO surplus guns out there, along with a 9mm barrel for it. The M&P is a great pistol, but the sig is a lot more refined.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Nice Video. Great shooting!.  
Sig 226 DA/SA 9mm Legion is one of the fastest most accurate handguns Ive ever shot.  Amazing once you start shooting it.  Also run all Glock 9mms and Wilson Combat CQB Elite .45.  
Click to watch a
Slow shooting Sig?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JMHO    

Nice Video. Great shooting!.  
Sig 226 DA/SA 9mm Legion is one of the fastest most accurate handguns Ive ever shot.  Amazing once you start shooting it.  Also run all Glock 9mms and Wilson Combat CQB Elite .45.  
Click to watch a
Slow shooting Sig?

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

JMHO    

Click to watch a
Slow shooting Sig?

Exactly!  Train with it and learn how to run the weapon and you will be surprised.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#38]
SIG 226 SAO Legion by a LONG shot.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Best thing about the Legion is that the street prices for the other top tier Sigs took a dip after the Legion started getting all the love. Legion has many features that most don't need or will even appreciate. IMO buy a P226 MK25 and pocket the extra $300+ If you gotta have short reset buy the SRT kit for $50 but I'd hold off on that..
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#40]
I have both, i love both,

between the two, i would go Legion without a doubt,

is do DA/SA. im not big on safeties
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Buy the M&P. Put the Sig on layaway. Win.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't own a SIG but I have to M&Ps.

Get the SIG.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Sig > M&P all day long...

I have owned a few M&P's and the ergonomics are great, but the trigger is serious poo-poo... (yes you can replace it with the APEX, but you should not have to)

A Sig P226 with a SRT trigger and reduced power hammer spring = Amazing

Its basically like comparing a Corvette to a Prius...
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Best thing about the Legion is that the street prices for the other top tier Sigs took a dip after the Legion started getting all the love. Legion has many features that most don't need or will even appreciate. IMO buy a P226 MK25 and pocket the extra $300+ If you gotta have short reset buy the SRT kit for $50 but I'd hold off on that..
View Quote

I agree with this post other than the part in red.. The SRT was a game changer for those of us that were used to a 1911 reset...

IMHO the SRT is the best thing that come from Sig in a long time.

YMMV
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:29:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Love the Legion SAO. Very high on my want list. The trigger is almost as good as the Salient trigger on my M&P.

Seriously, you can't go wrong with either but do be prepared to replace the trigger in the M&P.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#46]
It really does come down to what you want out of you next purchase.

I have worked on building a small collection of service sized pistols over the years.  I agree with those who say that these are two different classes of pistol.  The Legion is a classic service pistol, now in a factory semi-custom type of category, where the factory has combined some of their best features into one performance/trim package.  Offered as a package it comes out cheaper than assembling the same parts on your own.  It offers a combination of some very popular upgrades that people choose to enhance performance.

The M&P is a utilitarian piece.  Even the Pro versions seem to fall short of Apex aftermarket upgrades.  I like the feel and simplicity of my M&P.  It is a solid performer out of the box.  Mine is a .40 with a factory .357 Sig barrel.  It has run flawlessly from he day I bought it, no matter what I've fed it.  It is reasonably accurate, but not a match pistol.  The trigger is not as nice as a box stock Glock, and that is their number one complaint from most users.

You could buy a base model Sig, and most of the upgrades in the Legion at obtainable by buying genuine Sig parts and dropping them in.  Obviously the frame shape (beaver tail,  undercut trigger guard, and checkering) are not as simple as drop in, but most everything else can be upgraded at a comfortable pace on your own.  The Grey Guns trigger may be hard to obtain as well as the P224 Decocker and slide release, because they seem to all be getting purchased to feed the demand for the Legion right now.  Grips from Hogue won't have a medallion on them,  but it depends on if you want the pistol as a show piece and for bragging rights or if you really just like the features for what they offer to the shooting experience.

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even with it's Bohemian origins I wouldn't quite put it in Hipster class other than it seems only a certain segment of the shooting community seems to have opened themselves up to trying them and finding that CZ offers some of the most intuitive ponying and shooting characteristics that shooters seek.  The 75 series guns have a pretty decent service track record since 1976 when ghey really entered service.  They took elements of Browning (P35/Hi Power) and Sig (P210) design along with a DA/SA trigger system and made very shootable, accurate and dependable gun.  Sig was working on the P220 around the same time and still used a single stack mag.  The Beretta 92 series was being developed as well. The CZ 75 has been used by military and police forces for about as long as those.  It was just a bit of a victim of obscurity due to being developed WHERE it was, WHEN it was.

Czech Republic is a parliamentary constitutional republic and has been for decades.

I wouldn't dismiss the 75 series based on "Hipster" or "Commie" grounds.  I find that most who dismiss them never really shot them to any extent.  Out of the box a CZ 75b and CZ 75 SP01 are holding their own along side of my Sig p226 Enhanced Elite, and Beretta 92FS.  Glad I didn't skip adding them to the collection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top