Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2016 9:39:51 PM EDT
Was able to try a new, HK VP9 this week.  The trigger SUCKED!  Yet we're plagued with another Glock wanna' be!????  I guess it's true, "There's Glock, and ALL the guns that want to be one!"
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Was able to try a new, HK VP9 this week.  The trigger SUCKED!  Yet we're plagued with another Glock wanna' be!????  I guess it's true, "There's Glock, and ALL the guns that want to be one!"
View Quote

Let me take a swing at this....

It ain't no Sig.....am I right?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:19:20 PM EDT
[#2]
If the VP9 had a normal freaking mag release I'd be all over it. I think the trigger is ok, honestly every striker fired gun is "ok" to me. As it stands though, I can't have 4 or 5 handguns with a normal release and 1 that's weird.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:27:50 PM EDT
[#3]
The trigger on my VP9 is head and shoulders better than any stock Glock I've ever owned or shot.  It's even better than most of the Glocks I've had that had a 3.5lb connector in them.  Not sure what was going on with the one you tried, but that's not normal.  Or maybe I got a really good one.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The trigger on my VP9 is head and shoulders better than any stock Glock I've ever owned or shot.  It's even better than most of the Glocks I've had that had a 3.5lb connector in them.  Not sure what was going on with the one you tried, but that's not normal.  Or maybe I got a really good one.
View Quote

Call it a hunch, but I'm pretty sure he's a Sig guy and he went in to it prepared to not like the VP9.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:28:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry dude, but the VP9 has an excellent trigger.  Much better than Glock.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:04:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have to admit its true. I went to the range with a buddy this past week and he wanted to shoot my new P320 so he let me shoot his new VP9. He had all the smallest grip panels on his, and it fit my hands well. From the looks of the trigger I didn't know if I would like it or not, but it was nice and I shot it very accurately out to about 12-15yds at the range.

If the VP didn't have that terrible mag release, I think it would be much more popular.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:10:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Have to admit its true. I went to the range with a buddy this past week and he wanted to shoot my new P320 so he let me shoot his new VP9. He had all the smallest grip panels on his, and it fit my hands well. From the looks of the trigger I didn't know if I would like it or not, but it was nice and I shot it very accurately out to about 12-15yds at the range.

If the VP didn't have that terrible mag release, I think it would be much more popular.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use my trigger finger for HK's mag release.  I am on my 3rd HK pistol and I feel it is a superior design.  Much faster, any hand size can use it with out a hand adjustment, and if you use your trigger finger it gets you finger off the trigger.  The grip angle (and feel) with the mag release is why I now have a VP9 over a G17.  Also, one of the best stock striker fired trigger on the market.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:44:51 AM EDT
[#8]
To me the VP9 trigger is better than the Glock, and I actually like the paddle mag release. What I hate about the HK is the damn slide stop. Being left-handed I should have loved the ambi slide stop but I hated it because I kept hitting it somehow and making the slide close on an empty mag, so I switched back to my G19 for EDC.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Things I like better about the VP9 over Glock are the general feel, construction, grip angle and shape, trigger, recoil characteristics, sights, overall profile of the gun (angles and curves vs squared off) and the finish. In my hands they're more accurate as well.

I like Glock. I'm just not married to them.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:01:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
This blatant and quite ignorant myth needs to just die.

Glock (the actual wannabe) copied HK and HK copied JMB who copied a French striker design and put it into a pistol. Gaston invented the trigger, that is it and the only thing that he designed. HK took the lessons learned from the VP70 and used the P30 DA/SA design and turned it into a striker. HK copied HK. And HK wanted their VP9 to be another HK.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:26:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Glock (the actual wannabe) copied HK and HK copied JMB who copied a French striker design and put it into a pistol. Gaston invented the trigger, that is it and the only thing that he designed. HK took the lessons learned from the VP70 and used the P30 DA/SA design and turned it into a striker. HK copied HK. And HK wanted their VP9 to be another HK.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP's join date and post count could lead one to believe his confidence is not on par with his knowledge.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:33:15 AM EDT
[#12]
He be trolling.

As for the mag release you get used to it and I now prefer it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

The vp9 has a better stock trigger. But take a new glock with a standard or dot connector (not minus) and put an extra power trigger spring in it and a 5lb striker spring (or 4-4.5 with aftermarket striker) and the glock is better.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:31:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Sorry, but if all you can tell me is 'this trigger sucks', I can't take this seriously.

You didn't tell us WHAT you didn't like about trigger. Too much travel? Gritty? Unpredictable break? Rough break?

I've previously owned a gen3 G34 & and a gen4 G19 and currently have a gen 4 G21. The gen3 had the mushy 3.5 lb connector and was the worst of the bunch, all were factory and unmodded. Glocks are great pistols but anyone that says they have the best factory trigger isn't getting out much. I also own a Walther PPS and have shot a PPQ and both have better stock triggers. Same for my Shield 9mm, out of the box it's trigger was better than the G21 with less travel, no stacking and a more predictable break.

Arguing that brand xxx is better than yyy AFTER you add someone else's aftermarket parts is like yelling that your car is faster than mine once your next paycheck clears the bank and you order that supercharger you've been eyeing. We're talking factory equipment only.

I also own a USP 9mm. I like their mag release system, like the PPS it's different but after using it for a while I can change faster than the 'American' type of release, and it's harder to accidentally hit.

There's also more to a gun than trigger feel. I've had a Sig P220 with the stock trigger that's always shot well for me, then about two years ago I bought a used P226 9mm with the factory short reset trigger. A wonderful trigger but after a year I couldn't make groups anywhere close to what my P220 could do. Maybe it was the skinny E2 grip on the P226 vs the old school P220 grip. maybe I couldn't find the right ammo. Just didn't shoot well for me so I let it go.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Oh without a doubt. No fix or aftermarket cure for a Glock trigger can beat the stock VP9.

They keep forgetting that the Glock striker is half cocked and needs the trigger to finish it which is why there is that staple gun pull and reset to begin with. That will never go away. The VP9 however, is not half cocked and doesn't need the trigger to finish the sequence which is why we get that close to a SA trigger pull.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Why do we draw lines in the sand?  The VP9 is a good pistol I personally do not like it because HK believes their mags are coated in unicorn blood, and the spring is made from unicorn horn so they charge $40-60 for one mag.  I do like the mag release but feel it kind of feels cheap like I could easily break it off Walther does a better execution of the paddle mag release.  I also get the cocking ears but at the same time would have them taken off if I had a VP9.  

Disclaimer I like Glocks, Sigs, and 1911s I also own HK P7s and they are my favorite pistols so I do not hold any grudge against HK.  HK should just get over themselves and stop charging kings ransom for their mags because this has always turned me off to their pistols.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why do we draw lines in the sand?  The VP9 is a good pistol I personally do not like it because HK believes their mags are coated in unicorn blood, and the spring is made from unicorn horn so they charge $40-60 for one mag.  I do like the mag release but feel it kind of feels cheap like I could easily break it off Walther does a better execution of the paddle mag release.  I also get the cocking ears but at the same time would have them taken off if I had a VP9.  

Disclaimer I like Glocks, Sigs, and 1911s I also own HK P7s and they are my favorite pistols so I do not hold any grudge against HK.  HK should just get over themselves and stop charging kings ransom for their mags because this has always turned me off to their pistols.
View Quote

I won't deny HK mags are are on the expensive side, but in my opinion, they are the best quality magazines available, bar none.  Construction quality, function, and longevity on the HK mags just are not matched by any other manufacturer in my experience, and I'm willing to pay a premium for that.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I won't deny HK mags are are on the expensive side, but in my opinion, they are the best quality magazines available, bar none.  Construction quality, function, and longevity on the HK mags just are not matched by any other manufacturer in my experience, and I'm willing to pay a premium for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just do not buy it at all.  They are high power based mags.  Plus it is a box with a spring.  If anything I could counter and say Glock mags are better because they are made of both metal and plastic but I will not because they are not inherently better or worse than each other.  Also do you have any real world data that can back up the claim that HK mags are that much better than any other mag made.

But if you have some data that can back up such a claim I would be interested to read it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I just do not buy it at all.  They are high power based mags.  Plus it is a box with a spring.  If anything I could counter and say Glock mags are better because they are made of both metal and plastic but I will not because they are not inherently better or worse than each other.  Also do you have any real world data that can back up the claim that HK mags are that much better than any other mag made.

But if you have some data that can back up such a claim I would be interested to read it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't either. I'm not saying Glock mags are better, but they're definitely not worse. I'm still using, and carrying, the mags that came with my G19 that I bought almost fourteen years ago and they've been used a lot.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Ill take my g19s trigger over the 5 vp9s ive shot.

Ill take a stock vp9s trigger over a stock g19 any day.

$20 of parts and thousands of rounds is the difference
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ill take my g19s trigger over the 5 vp9s ive shot.

Ill take a stock vp9s trigger over a stock g19 any day.

$20 of parts and thousands of rounds is the difference
View Quote

This.

A stock trigger smokes a stock Glock trigger.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have data, just my personal experience using HK magazines, that's why I used the word "opinion" and qualifier "in my experience", and not the declaration, "statistically speaking, HK mags are the best".  I carried either a P2000 or USPc for the better part of 10 years as a duty pistol, and I never once had a magazine related failure.  I'm unaware of anyone else having one during that time.  I'm also a big fan of the HK AR magazine as well.  If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine.  You may purchase and utilize whatever you see fit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:26:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I paid $600 for my VP9 with 3 mags.  Screaming deal for an HK if you ask me.  Price of mags mean very little for a high quality firearm. Besides everything seems reasonable compared to my 2011 mags.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Wanted a VP9 as I'm a long time HK fan.  Tried it but found I liked the PPQ better,  YMMV
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I really do not notice that much of a difference between the VP9 and the Glock triggers.

The only striker fired gun that felt different to me was the P320, which I thought had a nice feeling trigger but I think that was mostly because it didn't have a trigger safety in the middle and it was a metal trigger.

I would have bought a VP9 instead of a G17, but Glocks offer so many different size/caliber configurations under the same manual of arms that I went that route for consistency.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
Sigma is the only striker trigger worse than a stock Glock trigger.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:19:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't consider myself a trigger snob by any means, but the combination of "sproing" and the pressure point of the trigger safety lever tip makes the Glock triggers quite unenjoyable.

The reset everyone raves about means fuck all to me.

The SD/SW pistols are cheap and geared towards entry level users making that excusable.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Sigma series of guns is probably the worst shooting and shittiest triggers I've ever handled.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Dont own one but have shot one.

As a Lefty, I have to say the slide release lever on the right side of the pistol causes me problems.  The slide does not lock back on empty mag because of thumb resting on ambi lever.  Position my thumb off the lever and the slide locks back on every round because support hand is high on frame and pushes lever up.

This is a training issue. I need to position support hand lower while keeping thumb off slide release.

As a Lefty, the mag release on the VP9 is actually positioned perfectly for my trigger or middle finger to depress.  I wish all handguns were like this.  Right handers do not seem to like it.

This is a training issue as well?

The trigger is excellent.  The first time I tried the trigger was at the gun store.  It was gritty as hell.  I didnt understand the hype.  When my friend got a hold of one he let me try his....night ad day different.  I have no idea what was wrong with the one at the store.  It is on my list of guns I would like just so long as I can find a way around my grip technique.

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

As a Lefty, I have to say the slide release lever on the right side of the pistol causes me problems.  The slide does not lock back on empty mag because of thumb resting on ambi lever.  Position my thumb off the lever and the slide locks back on every round because support hand is high on frame and pushes lever up.

This is a training issue. I need to position support hand lower while keeping thumb off slide release.

As a Lefty, the mag release on the VP9 is actually positioned perfectly for my trigger or middle finger to depress.  I wish all handguns were like this.  Right handers do not seem to like it.

View Quote
I shoot southpaw with rifles and right with pistols. Right handed but left eye dominant

It can be argued with that it is all a training issue. But it really is a training issue whether they deny it or not.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The trigger is excellent.  The first time I tried the trigger was at the gun store.  It was gritty as hell.  I didnt understand the hype.  When my friend got a hold of one he let me try his....night ad day different.  I have no idea what was wrong with the one at the store.  It is on my list of guns I would like just so long as I can find a way around my grip technique.

View Quote

I'm a lefty as well and the problem you mentioned is the reason I switched back to carrying my Glock 19. I was very tempted to take a Dremel to that ambi slide stop and cut it off, but I didn't want to ruin any resale value should I decide to sell it. It's really odd because that problem didn't show up until I had been shooting it for a few months. I don't know what I started doing differently but it surely caused me to hold down the slide stop.

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't own Sigs because my thumb holds the slide release down preventing the slide from locking to the rear. That's not a training issue. It's a user interface issue. If a gun doesn't work with my grip and manual of arms, I don't buy it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't own Sigs because my thumb holds the slide release down preventing the slide from locking to the rear. That's not a training issue. It's a user interface issue. If a gun doesn't work with my grip and manual of arms, I don't buy it.
View Quote

I dremeled the slide lock in half on 2 of them. Presto
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had considered that with the Sigs as I had seen it done before, but I didn't like DA/SA enough to do it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Train the user to tweak your thumb. Or do you have a better resume than Kyle Defoor?

Didn't think so.

It's still a training issue, that's how you get muscle memory from the proper training. Training to use is still training, not just a user issue.

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Train the user to tweak your thumb. Or do you have a better resume than Kyle Defoor?

Didn't think so.

It's still a training issue, that's how you get muscle memory from the proper training. Training to use is still training, not just a user issue.

https://youtu.be/wcVHykd3zTU
View Quote

In other words, the Glock doesn't have a bad grip. It's just a training issue.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't think so.

Cool story. This thread isn't about your precious though because that's a user emotional attachment issue and not an actual training issue. That video is about a universal grip so you can stay proficient with any handgun and still not be handicapped. I can go from a Sig, to HK, to CZ, to an M&P, and then onto a 1911 and still not be held back. And all of those designs have beavertails to keep slide biting from happening because of my preferences for a higher grip. User preferences and multiple owned pistols by me by different makers and makes all now have one universal way of shooting them with Kyle's thumb tweak instruction.

Leave the conversion tactics elsewhere, I don't comply.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Cool story. This thread isn't about your precious though because that's a user emotional attachment issue and not an actual training issue. That video is about a universal grip so you can stay proficient with any handgun and still not be handicapped. I can go from a Sig, to HK, to CZ, to an M&P, and then onto a 1911 and still not be held back. And all of those designs have beavertails to keep slide biting from happening because of my preferences for a higher grip. User preferences and multiple owned pistols by me by different makers and makes all now have one universal way of shooting them with Kyle's thumb tweak instruction.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't think so.

True story, actually.  If you can train around a slide stop, you can strain around grip angle/shape.  It really comes down to what requires the LEAST amount of training and is most intuitive to you.  I hate finger grooves but love the low profile controls on my 19, so shaving off the finger grooves leads to the best possible grip for me without having to intentionally retrain my grip.  Granted, I have the same controls on all of my pistols (two 19s, that's it).  It's all about what each shooter would rather overcome since no gun is perfect for any one person.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:40:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

True story, actually.  If you can train around a slide stop, you can strain around grip angle/shape.  It really comes down to what requires the LEAST amount of training and is most intuitive to you.  I hate finger grooves but love the low profile controls on my 19, so shaving off the finger grooves leads to the best possible grip for me without having to intentionally retrain my grip.  Granted, I have the same controls on all of my pistols (two 19s, that's it).  It's all about what each shooter would rather overcome since no gun is perfect for any one person.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't think so.

Cool story, but what does precious have to do with the topic at hand? Nothing.

I don't comply, leave the conversion elsewhere.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I had considered that with the Sigs as I had seen it done before, but I didn't like DA/SA enough to do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was using a grip like Defoors untill  couple shooters who carried p226's professionally showed me their cut down slide locks during a school so I did like wise. I don't have anysigs any more so its a moot point but I much prefer cutting the slide lock than changing my grip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top