Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/21/2016 11:42:20 PM EDT
Why is there a G43? It seems like a step back.  My Kahr is much smaller than the G43 with the same capacity, the G26 is about the same (about 1/8" thicker, maybe), but with +4 rds.  Now, I love the gen 2 look of the 43, but why?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:08:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Good question although, for me I can conceal the 43  better and it just feels right.
I'd gladly trade a 26 fde for another 43.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good question although, for me I can conceal the 43  better and it just feels right.
View Quote

I agree that the 43 feels great in hand,  but why would it conceal better?  Almost no difference in thickness, then add holster.  Doesn't seem worth it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:24:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I normally carry a full sized gun but when I feel the need to carry something small or as a backup my Glock 43 fits in pockets a lot easier than my P30SK even though they are close to the same size. The slide thickness makes a big difference to me in those specific circumstances.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:21:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Because some of us like thinner guns and find them to be more concealable. The G43 is CONSIDERABLY thinner than the G26. It's also not much bigger than the Kahr PM9/CM9. It hits a sweet spot for me.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got all three.

The G43 is just enough thinner sticking out on my side, for me to choose it over the G26 when wearing light clothing.
A little heavier clothing and the 26 is fine, but after 8 hours of carry the G43 is just nice.

If I need to pocket carry it's Kahr time.

Choices.

If I was stuck with either I'd be fine though I consider the Glocks to be more durable.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Why carry a 26 when a 19 is just slightly bigger and holds more rounds?
Why carry a 19 when a 17 is just a little bigger and holds more rounds?
Why carry a 17 when a 21 is just a little bigger and shoots a big bore?
Why carry a 21 when a 20 has more power in the same size?

You can go on and on.

The 43 is smaller, lighter, and easier to conceal than a 26.

Dave N
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I agree that the 43 feels great in hand,  but why would it conceal better?  Almost no difference in thickness, then add holster.  Doesn't seem worth it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to carry a 26 and I thought that too. I bought a 43 and haven't carried the 26 since. The 43 is so much better the difference in thickness and weight makes a huge difference. Throw a spare mag in my pocket and I still have an extra round over the 26

Edit: I also have all 3 and I plan to sell my Kahr cm9 now I don't see me carrying it again
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Does the 43 use the same internals as the other 9mm models?  Connector, springs, etc?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#9]
The 43 is significantly more concealable than the 26.  I used to carry a 26 in my boot, but the 43 has taken over that role as it carries a LOT better.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Does the 43 use the same internals as the other 9mm models?  Connector, springs, etc?
View Quote
Nope...

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't own any Glocks anymore but I do have a shield and a m&p9c. The shield is more thin but I still carry the double stack 90% of the time. With a good holster they are equally as comfortable and the weight really isn't that much different. I did own a cm9 for awhile but I like the added size of the shield. I don't wear clothes that require a "pocket" gun so I want something with decent size/weight.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I started carrying a G26 this winter.  And I love it!  But I can see why the 43 would be easier to conceal.  But for me I was carrying a 442 and wanted more firepower.  And stepping up a couple of rounds seemed like a moot point.  I'm more comfy with 11 in the gun and 11 in my pocket. (mag with an extension).  The amount of rounds gives me warm and fuzzies.  I have a little bit more ammo than if I was carrying 3 reloads with my 442.  And only have to reload once.  Plus I can just shoot the thing way better.   But a single stack mag and gun makes for a very convenient rig.  

I've never shot a 43 though...
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I went from gen 3 g26 to a g43. It was just as concealable but lost capacity. It's now replaced with a gen 4 g26
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have carried both and the 43 is MUCH easier to carry and conceal every day and even go in a pocket.  

The 26 has the advantage of big brother mags.  

I am building an AR-9 in Glock formation.  

I will also buy a Glock 9 to share mags.  Probably a 19 but a 26 is great for a same mag gun to a big brother.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Get both
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why is there a G43? It seems like a step back.  My Kahr is much smaller than the G43 with the same capacity, the G26 is about the same (about 1/8" thicker, maybe), but with +4 rds.  Now, I love the gen 2 look of the 43, but why?
View Quote

If you have to ask why a single stack 9 over a double stack you just do not get it.

I cannot describe in word or explain why a single stack is easier to conceal, feels better, lighter, etc etc.  This is one of those things till you do it yourself and carry you will never understand.

Carrying my G19 is easy and is comfortable but sometimes the G19 is just to big or gets very tiresome carrying all day.  Sometimes it is just more comfortable and easier to pull off carrying the PPS.  That 1/8" in the pants makes a lot of difference.  Have you ever tried carrying a G21/30 over a G19/26 the extra width makes a difference.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Pocket carry with a Glock 9mm or people with small hands (like Donald Trump) who can't handle a wider grip.

Other than that a 26 makes more sense.

OTOH "because you like it" is a perfectly valid reason.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#18]
The 43 for me is the perfect carry size.  I have big hands and that makes the smaller guns like the Kahr too small for me.  I don't even like the mid size guns.  The G26 is just too fat.  I always wanted one, but they always just seemed out of proportion to me.  I personally feel Glock nailed it with the G43.  It is small, but not too small and I can add 1 or 2 rounds very easily.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Because people have different bodies, wear different clothes, live different lives, carry in different holsters and different positions and want different things out of their carry gun. I carry a Glock 26 pretty much every single day, with some days going up to the 19, and on rare occasion using a Shield in a smart carry holster. I personally don't have a reason to get a 43, but I can absolutely see that there is a niche for that gun. If I didn't have a Shield, I would get one. My philosophy is to carry the gun that I can shoot the best and still conceal easily enough. For me that is a Glock 26.

As an anecdote, one of the people I shoot with is a young lady with small hands. I was surprised that she can't hit the mag release on her Glock 26 with her weapon hand thumb without breaking her grip a lot. She usually ends up hitting the magazine release with her support hand thumb for reloads. If the 43 existed when she bought her gun, she probably would have went that direction. (maybe)
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#20]
My 26 has not left the safe since I got my 43.  It may seem like a small difference on paper, but the 43 is way thinner and easier to conceal.  I carry a 17 or 19 most of the time, but when I need something smaller I skip the 26 and go with the 43.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Because some of us like thinner guns and find them to be more concealable. The G43 is CONSIDERABLY thinner than the G26. It's also not much bigger than the Kahr PM9/CM9. It hits a sweet spot for me.
View Quote

Yup, pretty much sums it up for me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#22]
As this pic I took at the range shows, the G43 is pretty much a G26 that's been sliced.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#24]
What is holster do you guys prefer for your G43?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't have a G43 or G26 so I sort of have no dog in this fight....but I will say this.  I didn't get the single stack carry guns till my wife decided she liked the Ruger LC9 more than the S&W shield (glock wasn't out at the time).  Well she's never shot that gun and I started carrying it because I figured i would see what all the hype was about.  Turns out, a single stack gun just carries a hell of a lot easier due to being slightly thinner and lighter than a double stack counterpart.  9 times out of 10 I grab that LC9 and go.  Though it's been getting un-seated from it's role as a primary carry gun by my Range Officer Compact 45 but only because I prefer a 1911 in general.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#26]
double tap
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Why a Glock single stack? If you have Glock everything else then a lot of it will be familar to you. The trigger on the Kahr I could never get quite right. Also, I may just be a Glock fanboy.

I have carried a 19 and a 26 a lot. What I found with the 43 is I can carry it AIWB, with a second mag AIWB as well and the load balances out on the belt and it thus WAY more comfortable to carry every day than the 26 or 19 could ever be. With the spare mag, I'm still carrying 16+1 albeit in 2 mags. 2 mags CAN be a positive in terms of a malfunction drill.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#28]
The 26 has higher parts commonality and can use any Glock 9mm mag other than the 43 mags.

I won't get rid of my 26 for a 43, I will get a 43 though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I,have one of these and like it as well as any kydex holster.

Holster
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Why carry a 26 when a 19 is just slightly bigger and holds more rounds?
Why carry a 19 when a 17 is just a little bigger and holds more rounds?
Why carry a 17 when a 21 is just a little bigger and shoots a big bore?
Why carry a 21 when a 20 has more power in the same size?

You can go on and on.

The 43 is smaller, lighter, and easier to conceal than a 26.

Dave N
View Quote

Good post.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#32]
It was a tough decision but I went with a Glock 26 myself. I own a Glock 17 as my fullsize.

-parts compatibility
-uses the same sight pusher
-holster compatibility
-can use higher capacity magazines if needed.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:18:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Holster
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holster

Great price, fast shipping and VERY comfortable.

http://www.mdjcustomholsters.com/glock-iwb-standard-hybrid-leather-kydex-holster-fixed-retention/
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:46:04 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

Same holster I prefer for everything: Comp-Tac MTAC.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:05:36 AM EDT
[#35]
I haz both.  And a G19 and G30.  I carry the G43 most with two 7 round mags.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:21:32 AM EDT
[#36]
for IWB, I cannot stand a pistol as thick as a G26.  Maybe its the love handles or I don't have a seperate set of pants and shorts that are 2-4" wider.

when OWB, you are probably right.  But its nice to keep it simple with just one gun.  And if I don't feel comfortably going somewhere with only a G43 vs. a G26, I won't go there...  or maybe I pack my Dan Wesson instead, its easier to IWB than a G26 too.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I think it's pretty simple. If you have one handgun and that's it, glock 26. If you can have two handguns, then a 19 and a 43.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#39]
I think of the G43 as a compliment to a G17 or G19. If the G19 is too heavy or big for whatever I'm wearing/doing that day, the G43 would be a good compromise. There aren't many situations in which I could carry the G26 when the G19 would not also be feasible but the G43 is a significant step down in size and weight.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#40]
One thing I have noticed is that if I am going to carry my single stack I carry it OWB while I carry my fatties IWB. I really only carry my single stack Shield if I am wearing pants that aren't loose enough to allow IWB carry.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#41]
The Glock 43 was designed as a backup gun for Law Enforcement.
Easier to conceal in a pocket, ankle holster, or vest holster then a Glock 26.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:21:49 PM EDT
[#42]
I got a Shield since Glock was so late to the market with a slim 9mm. I also have a PF9.

After a range day with my friend's Glock 43 shot side by side with my Shield, I will take the Shield everyday.

Neither are small enough to be a true pocket pistol, for that role I picked up a Ruger LCP.

My normal carry gun is a Glock 23 or 27.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:26:54 PM EDT
[#43]
G43 carries better than the G26...
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Since buying a G43 about a year ago,neither my G26 or 9mm Shield has been out of the safe.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You keep telling yourself that,as long as it makes you feel better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got a Shield since Glock was so late to the market with a slim 9mm. I also have a PF9.

After a range day with my friend's Glock 43 shot side by side with my Shield, I will take the Shield everyday.

Neither are small enough to be a true pocket pistol, for that role I picked up a Ruger LCP.

My normal carry gun is a Glock 23 or 27.

You keep telling yourself that,as long as it makes you feel better.

I sold my shield after being a 5 year long dedicated M&P shooter.  The G43 carries much better than the shield did for me.  The shield spent most of its life in my safe, whereas the G43 spends most of its life on my belt.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#46]
The Honolulu Police Department carries the G17 gen 4, and authorizes the g26 and g43 (as well as other makes and models of handguns) for off duty carry.  When the 43 was released, the department fast tracked it's off duty authorization, and officers bought the g43 like crazy.  One day, while at a LGS, 3 separate officers bought it in the 15 min I was there.  In warm and humid environments like here, the thinner G43 is more easily concealed and easier to carry.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#47]
I love the G26 and I've never even handled a G43.

But after carrying for decades I've learned something, 1/8" in thickness, a half inch in length or a few ounces doesn't sound like much, but after 12 hours it can feel like the difference between a tennis ball and a bowling ball.

I found this out when I tried switching from a G26 to a G29.  "It's only a little bigger" I said. "It's only a little heavier" I said. In a few weeks I was back to the G26.  At 6pm I hardly knew the G26 was there, at the same time of day the G29 was a constant annoyance and had been for a couple of hours.  Same make/model of holster too. I couldn't wait to get it off and I'd leave the G26 on until nearly bed time.

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I love the G26 and I've never even handled a G43.

But after carrying for decades I've learned something, 1/8" in thickness, a half inch in length or a few ounces doesn't sound like much, but after 12 hours it can feel like the difference between a tennis ball and a bowling ball.

I found this out when I tried switching from a G26 to a G29.  "It's only a little bigger" I said. "It's only a little heavier" I said. In a few weeks I was back to the G26.  At 6pm I hardly knew the G26 was there, at the same time of day the G29 was a constant annoyance and had been for a couple of hours.  Same make/model of holster too. I couldn't wait to get it off and I'd leave the G26 on until nearly bed time.

View Quote

Cue the "He's right you know" image.

If you don't want to spend anymore $, don't handle the G43.  LOL.  It is the 26 but skinnier...and with the pearce +1 mag plate carrying 8 rds.  Sooo easy to carry IWB all day without knowing its there.

Having carried for many many years 24/7 in all kinds of weather/temps, weight and thickness are the two BIG issues I've found that effect carry comfort.

LOVE the G19 and G26, but for comfort the 43 has them beat.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#49]
I thought the 26 was small until I held the 43. It makes the 26 feel like a brick. My only complaint with the 43 is capacity. With the extended floor plate, Glock missed an opportunity to add capacity. I hope one day they do in fact make a +2 base plate in the same form factor. Like other people said the 43 is just thinner and easier to conceal with thin and light weight clothing.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#50]
My brother-in-law has a sub compact XD 40 that he swore by.
Got the wife a (single stack) LC9 but she didn't like the trigger.
He didn't want to lose money on it so he kept it.
Carried it once or twice …
Now the single stack is all he carries!

My G26 hasn't left the safe (like others have said) since I got the G43.
I figure it will still be my winter gun, but who knows?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top