Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2016 10:14:32 PM EDT
Anybody have one, or know someone who does?   Ive been looking at a 4" version and like that it comes with a separate 9mm barrel and recoil spring.   Nice addition for shooting more easily found 9mm ammo, and insurance if the .22 TCM round ever goes tits up.

Discuss....
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#1]
The 22 TCM recoil is like shooting a 22 LR out of the double stack RIA 1911.  A Friend bought a green dot holographic sight for his and swears by it.  The cartridge can be a little finicky with reloads but with factory ammo it has been totally reliable.  The factory .224 caliber bullet appears to be a bonded core and really penetrates wood and steel.  The velocity on his 5" 22 TCM is right around 2000 to 2100 FPS and I prefer the 22 TCM to the FN 5.7 X 28.   My Friend has hardly used his 9 MM barrel as he has several other pistols plus a couple other 9 MM's.

I have not seen any chronoghraph results with the 4" barrel but considering how flat this cartridge shoots it isn't hard to make hits at 100 yards.  My Friend thinks of his 22 TCM as his SBR because it carries 18 rounds IIRC and shoots so flat.  If I were buying one I'd prefer a single stack for carrying.  My Friend carries his in a chest holster while riding ATV's and usually throws it in his vehicle when he leaves the house.  He normally has a CCW but carries the TCM instead of leaving a long gun in his truck.  

The 22 TCM puts out a fireball that is reminisent of a hot 357 out of a 2" barrel or a hot 44 mag.  The pistol is loud but VERY soft shooting considering the blast.  I wouldn't want to shoot the 22 TCM indoors without the best ear protection.  I'm not convinced the 22 TCM has any better wounding characteristics than a good service pistol round with good HP's but the slide is very easy to cycle and there is very light recoil to aid follow up shots.  I figure the 22 TCM ballistics out of a 5" 1911 is comparable to a 22 Hornet or a 223 impact at 150-200 yards.  It's kind of a niche cartridge but readily available in LGS in my area.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#2]
One of my buds has one.  The pistol is interesting, but it's been problematic for him with the TCM cartridge.  FTF, FTE, totally unreliable and very inconsistent.  It's been back to the manufacturer twice.  The 9mm barrel seems to work OK.  The comments above about the fireball and being loud are absolutely accurate.  Personally, it's not my cup of tea.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 3:42:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys!    I have other stuff for ccw, so this will be more of a range toy.    I gotta admit, Im a little addicted to muzzle flash.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The bullet in factory loads is rumored to be the Armsacor 22 magnum bullet.
I reload for it.  
Factory ammo has been off and on as far as quality.  
Since chopped off 5.56/223 bras is how this was made, variations of the armsacor extractor groove and parent brass seem to be a thing.
I usually crush a factory case that does not extract right.  
Too long of a brass lenth seems to be an occasional problem as well.  
The pistol itself is a lower quality 1911.   At least mine is.  Looked at a newer one and they seem to be better.
The mim hammer on mine broke with in the first magazine.  It's how I know the pin holes and internal works on mine are a bit on the rough side.
I did get RIA to send me a hammer.    
The safety was another headache.  
I shimmed the new hammer so it wouldn't drag on the frame giving me light strikes.  
There are no grip bushings like a regular 1911.  They are cast in place.  
It is a hoot to shoot though.  Light recoil and 2" accuracy.  Fireballs in my reloads have been cut back some by using a bit faster powder.  
My wish is for a better quality manufacturer to adopt this chambering.  
A single stack RIA 1911 may be a whole other ball game and RIA may be building the double stack better than the first ones.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#5]
My friend has one of the 5" ones. It for some reason on the last round, locks the slide back, so you have to slingshot/drop slide on last round:

About 250 fps more than the SS197SR load from the 5.7x28mm:

However, due to the bullet design, these loads from at least the 5" barrel will not penetrate Level IIIA soft armor like many 5.7x28mm loadings can. (4:25)

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top