BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Between the px4 and the m9a1 compact ill pick the compact every time. I can shoot it much better.

I do like the px4 and will probably buy one eventually.

The hks are good guns but theu just dont do it for me, least not for the $. Id rather shoot/ carry the px4 or a sig 2022. Even if they all cost the same
View Quote

I'd consider one if I could find one, and assuming it falls in the $700 or under range.  But I'm not buying sight unseen or without comparing side by side with the others.  I've been to 5 gun shops now, even the bigger shops don't have one.  I'm going out again in the morning to a decent size shop out in the sticks, maybe they'll have one.  The HK P2000 V3 is actually less expensive than the M9A1 Compact from what I can tell on the online sites.

One of the gun shop guys was telling me that the newer P07's have a different fire control group as the older model P07 Duty I had trouble with. He's got me half talked into to at least considering one.  And since I've already got a holster and spare mags for it, that would save me at least $120.  Of course Beretta has the 2X free mag deal on right now for the Storm.

I miss the old days where I could just buy all 3 and toss the two I liked the least into the safe and forget they were there.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:39:08 AM EDT
[#2]
It's really irritating that you had a bad P07 experience, because that's pretty much exactly what you want.  Mine is stuffed full of CGW parts and I freaking love it.

The HK P2000 is a fine option as well, or a USPc.  

An older P229R could be found in your price range and also be considered close to perfect.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:58:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'd consider one if I could find one, and assuming it falls in the $700 or under range.  But I'm not buying sight unseen or without comparing side by side with the others.  I've been to 5 gun shops now, even the bigger shops don't have one.  I'm going out again in the morning to a decent size shop out in the sticks, maybe they'll have one.  The HK P2000 V3 is actually less expensive than the M9A1 Compact from what I can tell on the online sites.

One of the gun shop guys was telling me that the newer P07's have a different fire control group as the older model P07 Duty I had trouble with. He's got me half talked into to at least considering one.  And since I've already got a holster and spare mags for it, that would save me at least $120.  Of course Beretta has the 2X free mag deal on right now for the Storm.

I miss the old days where I could just buy all 3 and toss the two I liked the least into the safe and forget they were there.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Between the px4 and the m9a1 compact ill pick the compact every time. I can shoot it much better.

I do like the px4 and will probably buy one eventually.

The hks are good guns but theu just dont do it for me, least not for the $. Id rather shoot/ carry the px4 or a sig 2022. Even if they all cost the same

I traded for mine, not sure id spend $700 for it either. Ive seen them used for $5andabit.

Im a beretta guy mostly but if you have an itch for a cz i think that should be your pic. The P07 is one of the few czs I kinda like how it looks. For the $400 shipped for a new gun Id say thats a no brainer since you'll also be saving the $120 you say you have in gear.

Although you can still find surplus m9 mags for $10. So there is that.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for the P01 here.

I have the PCR (p01 without the rail) and it's been an incredible pistol.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I appreciate the response. I guess what I'm looking for is a "do everything" gun, unfortunately my current needs and desires as far as carry and transport rule out a full size pistol or I'd just use my VP9.    

Based on what EL, you and others have said I'm leaning toward the PX4C, but that HK P2000 V3 does seem awful nice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you shot it yet?  If so, what's your take on it?  

I read most of the thread about it over on Pistol Forums.  Sounds like it's an extra $200-$250 to make it into his carry version, but less if you don't need the night sights, and after having them on just about every pistol I've owned in the last 10 years, I've come to think that they're just not as valuable as I once thought.

I haven't shot the special edition, but I've fired the PX4C and it runs pretty nice. Shoots pretty flat, especially for such a small gun.

You don't necessarily need to convert the gun to a G model, install the smaller decocker levers, or remove the ambi mag release like EL has done on his guns. Changing the hammer spring would probably still be a good idea, though...

Sights are intensely personal...so what EL uses might not be the best for your situation. I like the HD's well enough that I'd install them on my gun if I was going to seriously carry it.

A number of folks I know bought PX4s on EL's recommendation and so far they've all been pretty happy with them...and they're a pretty picky group.

As a do-everything gun I prefer my P30 with the LEM in it...but that's probably north of your price range. If I didn't have the P30 and I wanted something more compact than the 92 at this point I would be looking really hard at the PX4C.

I appreciate the response. I guess what I'm looking for is a "do everything" gun, unfortunately my current needs and desires as far as carry and transport rule out a full size pistol or I'd just use my VP9.    

Based on what EL, you and others have said I'm leaning toward the PX4C, but that HK P2000 V3 does seem awful nice.

FWIW you can convert the PX4 to a G with some punches and a hammer; it doesn't require any extra parts or anything.

Regarding the HK, I am an HK guy through-and-through. My P30L V1 is my go-to training gun (and was a USP before that). BUT, a lot of people complain about the reset of the trigger on the P-series guns. It is longer than the USP or a Glock, but I quit noticing when I am actually running the thing. To me it's a non-issue, but just check it out and make sure you're good with it. I think most of the people who over analyze the reset spend more time playing with the pistol rather than shooting it, but I digress.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

FWIW you can convert the PX4 to a G with some punches and a hammer; it doesn't require any extra parts or anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I had a rough time getting the roll pin for the safety lever back in, but put that down to not having the right punches and having to improvise.  I was struck as I disassembled the slide by the way it the PX4 resembles a simplified 92.  One less roll pin in the safety, one captive detent, not two non-captive ones that shoot off into space

Regarding the HK, I am an HK guy through-and-through. My P30L V1 is my go-to training gun (and was a USP before that). BUT, a lot of people complain about the reset of the trigger on the P-series guns. It is longer than the USP or a Glock, but I quit noticing when I am actually running the thing. To me it's a non-issue, but just check it out and make sure you're good with it. I think most of the people who over analyze the reset spend more time playing with the pistol rather than shooting it, but I digress.

The influence of Glock marketing, again.  When I actually shoot my DA/SA Berettas, as opposed to dry firing them, I don't notice the reset.  It's just not that important.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#7]
You should have got one of those P-01s AIM was selling yesterday. Only $385 shipped. If you didn't like it you could sell it for at least that no problem.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:32:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

I dry fired the used P2000v3 that I looked at, the trigger seemed fine to me.  I'm not that trigger sensitive but if I look at it again I'll pay more attention to the reset.  I can't imagine I'd care that much, but thanks for letting me know.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:36:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You should have got one of those P-01s AIM was selling yesterday. Only $385 shipped. If you didn't like it you could sell it for at least that no problem.
View Quote

I saw them. No rail, not lefty friendly .  There's just no point in buying something that is absolutely not suitable for my current needs.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Update!

CDNN has new HK P2000v3s on sale for $599 and mags for $29.95.

This just can't be easy or straightforward, can it?  Just when I think I've made up my mind something comes along and breaks my resolve.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
LOL ..... I just popped in to post that

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Update!

CDNN has new HK P2000v3s on sale for $599 and mags for $29.95.

This just can't be easy or straightforward, can it?  Just when I think I've made up my mind something comes along and breaks my resolve.  

LOL ..... I just popped in to post that

I honestly believe that the Storm is a better fit for my needs.  Not only that but it's less expensive, hold's 2 more rounds and it's got a considerably better DA trigger pull. The P2000 feels better in my hand, but that's mostly because it has a pinky extension on the mag.

As attractive as the P2000 is, I think I'm going to see if a deal opens up on the Storm compact.  I've got trading material and the local sales tax is about equal to shipping+FFL fee.  And the free two mags from Beretta is good until the end of next month.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted: I think I'm going to see if a deal opens up on the Storm compact.  
View Quote

here is where I bought mine
PX4 Compact $399 + $25 shipping

they shipped same day.  These are NEW guns and when I got mine they had the $75 rebate!!!  The mag rebate makes it a must do.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

they shipped same day.  These are NEW guns and when I got mine they had the $75 rebate!!!  The mag rebate makes it a must do.

<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/DCopp/media/guns%20and%20gun%20stuff/KIMG0274_zpsbrqjhorj.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/DCopp/guns%20and%20gun%20stuff/KIMG0274_zpsbrqjhorj.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:

<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/DCopp/media/guns%20and%20gun%20stuff/KIMG0274_zpsbrqjhorj.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/DCopp/guns%20and%20gun%20stuff/KIMG0274_zpsbrqjhorj.jpg</a>

How much does the storm weigh? It says 27oz. My m9a1compact weighs 28.5oz according to my scale
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/DCopp/guns%20and%20gun%20stuff/KIMG0274_zpsbrqjhorj.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/DCopp/guns%20and%20gun%20stuff/KIMG0274_zpsbrqjhorj.jpg

Damn, that's the best price I've seen yet!  Thanks for posting that!
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How much does the storm weigh? It says 27oz. My m9a1compact weighs 28.5oz according to my scale

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Beretta's website claims 27.2 for the Storm Compact and 31.6 for the 92 Compact with rail.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an SP 2022 and really like it also have a P 220 love it to.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 5:56:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:12:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Beretta's website claims 27.2 for the Storm Compact and 31.6 for the 92 Compact with rail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder why the 3oz difference. Makes me wonder if the storm is really 24oz which is closer to g19 weight
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The sp2022 is nice but not a compact pistol..
View Quote

If the G19 is compact, so is the SP2022
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#21]
This.  I own one and it is a very nice pistol. The decocker is located next to the hammer and is easy to use for right or left handers. No safety levers to mess with . The mag release levers can be upgraded to the larger HK45C levers .  

Quoted:
Check out HK P2000 V3.

Meets all your listed requirements, very accurate, and very reliable.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:25:43 AM EDT
[#22]
http://www.impactguns.com/hk-p2000-9mm-v3-blk-13rd-m709203-a5-642230244917.aspx

Quoted:

He already said, no used.  That gun is too much $$$ new
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#23]
I just called and ordered the Beretta PX4 Storm Compact.  Not only is that the gun that I think fits my needs best, but the price was crazy good and with the free 2 mag deal going on it was too sweet to pass up.

I would have preferred to buy locally, yesterday I took a trade down to a local store that had one for a pretty good price but it turned out to be used and their new price wasn't so great.  

Thanks for everyone who responded with suggestions and special thanks to dwcopple for posting the link to Scott's Outdoors, I got the last one, it's now marked as Out of Stock on their website.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Awesome, let us know how you like it. And how much it weighs
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Cool.  I went to one of Langdon's classes recently (was fantastic by the way), and he was shooting his PX4C.  Have been thinking about trying one out since the class.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SP2022 is 5.7" tall, the G17 is 5.43" tall, the G19 is only 4.99" tall. .8" is quite a bit of height, the G17 is noticeably more difficult to conceal and it's even shorter than the SP2022. The PX4 Compact is virtually the same height as the G19.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, even though I was promoting the HK, I'm sure it has it's downsides.  I never owned one.  I don't know how I'd like the mag release on those.  So you don't have to learn a new mag release.

I'm not overly crazy about slide mounted decocker any longer.  But it's not like it's as unusable as some make it out to be.  However, does the PX4 have a safety/decocker?  Or is it just a decocker?  I think a decocker only is a way better set up for a serious gun.  But then again, it's not like dudes haven't made the M9 work too.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The SP2022 is 5.7" tall, the G17 is 5.43" tall, the G19 is only 4.99" tall. .8" is quite a bit of height, the G17 is noticeably more difficult to conceal and it's even shorter than the SP2022. The PX4 Compact is virtually the same height as the G19.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did u click the link?
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:32:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well, even though I was promoting the HK, I'm sure it has it's downsides.  I never owned one.  I don't know how I'd like the mag release on those.  So you don't have to learn a new mag release.

I'm not overly crazy about slide mounted decocker any longer.  But it's not like it's as unusable as some make it out to be.  However, does the PX4 have a safety/decocker?  Or is it just a decocker?  I think a decocker only is a way better set up for a serious gun.  But then again, it's not like dudes haven't made the M9 work too.
View Quote

I have no issues switching between a traditional button mag release and the HK paddle. The HK is actually a little more intuitive and natural feeling to me. Though I don't like the oversize paddle. I have big hands and I was dropping mags by accident a lot with my P30. The P2000 has a smaller one and doesn't give me a problem.

The PX4 is convertible between F and G modes. Meaning it can be either decock/safety or just decock. You can make a 92 series a G as well, it just requires a little machining. My 92A1 was converted to a G by Wilson Combat for $150.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Did u click the link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did u click the link?

Yes. Can you read manufacturer's specs?

One shaky video with no reference doesn't really mean anything. Putting the Glock closer to the camera makes it appear larger as well.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

The main reasons, at least not counting financial reasons, that I ruled out the HK P2000v3 is that it's decocker and mag release is different than the DA/SA guns I'm used to and it's DA trigger pull is, at least stock, pretty bad.  Other than that I really liked it, it fit my hand nicely and was easy to operate left handed.

On the financial side, the Storm is $200 less and comes with a rebate for 2 free magazines. Since HK mags are $30 each, that's $660 vs $400.

And as mentioned, the Storm's safety decocker is easily convertible between safety/decock mode and just decock. My first thought was to immediately convert it to decock only mode, but for what I'm going to be using it for the safety/decock mode might be preferable, and since a good deal of my DA/SA training and practice was with 3rd gen S&W pistols, it's familiar to me.

Thanks for your input, I learned a lot in this thread.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 5:18:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I totally get where you're coming from.  Except the safety / decock part.  It's meant as a carry gun, right?  If you rack the slide after a malf and the safety stays down and you're not totally aware of it, that would kind of suck.  The simpler the better, IMHO.  At least if you engage the decocker when racking the slide, and it's decocker only, then the gun will still fire, even though it will be back to a DA pull.  

But yeah, the PX4 seems like the better deal money wise.  Hard to overlook that aspect.  Mags are always more expensive than people make out them to be.  If you buy locally.  My lgs sells Glock mags for 30 bucks and I've seen them higher at other stores.  Yeah, you can find better deals on line, but then you have to pay shipping.........    So the free mags are worth their weight in gold.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top