Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2016 5:42:56 PM EDT
I’m looking for a retention holster for a SIG P226 for open carry.  There are so many options out there that I was hoping you guys could help me narrow it down.

Even though it says its for concealment I was looking at something like the Blackhawk 4105 SERPA Active Retention Holster.

I don’t know if it makes a difference or not, but it’s for a mid 80’s West German model with crimson trace laser grips.

Any recommendations you guys could offer would be great.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have that same holster for a Glock 23.  Great holster.  Can't go wrong H-K
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Safariland ALS or GLS. Not sure how the crimson trace grips affect holster choice, as I have not used em.

The blackhawk is a real POS. Flimsy and the retention placement is sketchy at best.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree Blackhawk sucks for a retention holster. Spend the money for a Safariland Level 3 (or 4) duty holster. I use a Safariland 6360 for my P226R/X300V combo and it's a great holster. It's ALS. I paid $111.

I used to conceal carry a West German P226 in a Bianchi #5 ($30) under a T-shirt and that was fine.

I only open carry in uniform because it's a faster draw, my light-equipped handgun is huge, and everyone expects me to be armed anyway. Out of uniform, I conceal carry a Kahr PM9 everywhere. When I was younger, I used to expect to get in a gunfight at any given moment, but now I give up a little draw speed and the larger (superior) pistol for comfort and versatility of clothing options. I practice with the little pistol as much as the big one, so I'm confident in winning a fight with it, once it clears my pocket, of course.

Wearing a pistol visibly, I always assume some asshole may try to get it, so have a retention holster of your choice and plan to fight for it. Train for this also, on a padded mat (so you can "get real" with a sparring partner) at least one fourth as often as you practice shooting.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 3:02:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Do not get a SERPA.  For open carry/range stuff with my P226's I use a Safariland ALS 6378.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:02:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:32:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I love Safariland ALS plus they are cheap and very adaptable if you want to switch between paddle/belt/dropleg. GLS works too but just not as smooth for me. Another option would be the 5.11 thumb drive (made by blade-tech).
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I like my Safariland ALS. I would take it over a Serpa every day of the week.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Open carry, I like High Noon holsters.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Safariland ALS. CTC grips won't make a difference.

The SERPA is garbage and won't hold up to a gun grab.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I’m looking for a retention holster for a SIG P226 for open carry.  There are so many options out there that I was hoping you guys could help me narrow it down.

Even though it says its for concealment I was looking at something like the Blackhawk 4105 SERPA Active Retention Holster.

I don’t know if it makes a difference or not, but it’s for a mid 80’s West German model with crimson trace laser grips.

Any recommendations you guys could offer would be great.

View Quote

Safariland ALS is indeed excellent, both in price and performance.  I used one for a P229, but it felt like I had to reach a little too far with my thumb to contact the release lever.  I didn't have the same issue with an ALS holster for a Glock 17, probably due to the higher slide on the Sigs. Skip the SERPA.

Aside from that, I like the Aker Flatsider holsters w/retention strap for OWB, but that will be considerably more expensive than the Safariland.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 4:13:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for Safariland ALS.  Good stuff, made by great people.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone mentioned the ALS?  I think they have.  

Did anyone advise against the Serpa?  I think they did.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm old school and prefer leather, especially the type that's easy on/easy off. The GS2 from rgrizzle is excellent.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do not get a SERPA.  For open carry/range stuff with my P226's I use a Safariland ALS 6378.
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I briefly owned a Hogue OWB that had a pretty effortless retention mechanism.  

Hard to go wrong with Safariland though.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was pleasantly surprised to see that model was pretty much the same price as the SERPA (about $40). Nearly all the other Safariland holsters I was looking at were between $90-175.

That's definitely what I'm leaning towards right now.

Is this a good price?

https://www.copsplus.com/prodnum6251.php

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:28:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I was pleasantly surprised to see that model was pretty much the same price as the SERPA (about $40). Nearly all the other Safariland holsters I was looking at were between $90-175.

Is this a good price?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this a good price?

I would buy it at that price. I have three of them. Have 2 in black (239,226R) and a tan one for my MK25. Also use a 6360 everyday for work for the P226R. Never had an issue.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:53:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I would buy it at that price. I have three of them. Have 2 in black (239,226R) and a tan one for my MK25. Also use a 6360 everyday for work for the P226R. Never had an issue.
View Quote

What finish do you prefer?

I'm leaning towards the STX Plain instead of the STX Tactical.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:55:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Has anyone mentioned the ALS?  I think they have.  

https://gastatic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/SIG-P226-624.jpg

Did anyone advise against the Serpa?  I think they did.
View Quote

What finish is that?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:03:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't remember the names but my black ones are a smooth finish and the desert tan one is a more rough finish.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:06:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Don't remember the names but my black ones are a smooth finish and the desert tan one is a more rough finish.
View Quote

Sounds like the black ones are Plain and the desert tan one is Tactical.  

Just out of curiosity: which one do you prefer?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:09:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably the "tactical" finish.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:22:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any particular reason why or do you just think it looks better?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:42:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The tactical doesn't have the plastic or whatever it is finish. The "plain" finish is a lot like the basket weave and will rub off eventually. The tactical has a more rough texture.

ETA... just Google the pics and see what you prefer.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I ended up getting the Safariland ALS 6378 with the black STX finish.  It's a very solid holster, but my only criticism is the paddle is much more difficult to put on and take off than I thought it would be. Still a great value for only $45 though.

Thanks for the help guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top