Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2016 1:43:12 AM EDT
My list of must-haves is getting quite short. As such it was finally time for another down and dirty beater 9mm after a decade or so of being without. The previous gun in that role was a Ruger P89DC purchased amongst my first pistols. It was a good gun and perfectly reliable...just nothing that was held in particularly high regard.

Fast forward to now and I was ready for something different. It was time to finally get one of these polymer striker fired guns everyone raves about. There was one gun that differentiated itself from the rest, in that there was nothing I felt needed changing as it came out of the box. The VP9 it is, then. Borrowing someone else's only confirmed it. Not being one to rush to a purchase, I waited, pondered, and ended up jumping on the first used one I saw.

It looked like it had been fired once then abandoned. The usual used gun fears cropped up. Was there something wrong with it? Did it shoot terribly? Half my guns are used and even the worst cosmetically are excellent mechanically. Hopefully this one would be as well.

It came like any other.
20151224_165306 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
There are many like it, but this one is mine. The paperwork and even the HK sticker were enclosed.

Before shooting the combination of medium side panels and small backstrap were found to be about perfect. My hands are large, but I don't like a bulky grip, and am not a fan of the humps and kinks manufacturers put in their frames. Keep it smooth, not lumpy...thanks.
20160428_085204 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
20160428_085250 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

On to the shooting, a couple groups were fired at 10 yards. This is an example.
20160428_140147_Richtone(HDR) by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
Five shots are touching. The others not. If I did my part I believe they could all have been in that ragged hole.

Mozambique drills were done split between five and seven yards. The second body shot was done without reaquiring the front sight. Considering half the body shots were unaimed the results were quite surprising. A few slow fire shots were fired at ten yards as well.
20160428_134241 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
95 rounds on target. One grazer.

My nine year old son, feeling a bit brave, tried it, too.
Screenshot_2016-04-26-22-26-18 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
Screenshot_2016-04-26-22-05-31 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
Screenshot_2016-04-26-22-05-57 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

The recoil looks severe because it is. He's a small statured little man that is still under 50lbs. That said, he was unphased by it and the single loaded rounds all fed, fired, extracted, and ejected properly. The slide also reliably locked back without fail.
20160428_142423_Richtone(HDR) (1) by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

He as also took a couple shots with the RO Compact (which he liked better). It has a lighter trigger and shoots a little smoother, so that wasn't a surprise. Still, his favorite remains an 80's Model 10 revolver. Nothing wrong with that.

At 6lbs the trigger on my example was a little heavier than most I've seen published. It felt lighter and was not a detriment. The trigger is unlike most. Instead of take up, some build up, and a sproingy break, the VP9 has a very light match trigger like two stage takeup, with a single action like predictable wall before the crisp break. While the Walther PPQ is touted as having the lighter trigger, the feel of the VP9 is preferable to me.

The VP seems a bit controversial and is often hotly debated among enthusiasts. It's just another option. Like anything else you either like it or not. I happen to like it a lot and am most impressed by its performance at speed. It's right up there with the best of them in my book. I've been impressed with every HK pistol I've sampled and was pleased to find this was no exception.

I suck shooting off a rest (usually doing no better than unsupported), so all these were fired strong hand, standing unsupported.

Thanks for your time!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:33:39 AM EDT
[#1]
nice range report.  I find that I shoot mine better than any of my other pistols at speed (not saying a ton for me )
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice pistol, good luck with it.  Have your son get higher on the grip and ride that beaver tail right against the top of his hand.  That will help with recoil management quite a bit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#3]
He had a proper hold on this one. It really didn't make much difference  if at all.

Screenshot_2016-04-26-22-10-56 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

He's a first timer. Rookie mistake.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He had a proper hold on this one. It really didn't make much difference  if at all.

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/GDa8Zy" target="_blank">https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1579/26674763966_d5de282868_c.jpg</a>Screenshot_2016-04-26-22-10-56 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

View Quote

Great pic! My 10 year old son has shot my VP9 and a couple of other 9mms I have, and my 12 year old son has really taken a liking to my Springfield Champion .45 ACP. Which is odd because though he is tall at over 5', he is a bean pole just like I was at that age. He shoots that .45 better than any of my striker fired 9mms. My ten year old isn't quite as tall, but he is thicker. It's been a while since he's shot any of my handguns but I seem to remember he like the VP9.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:13:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Great pic! My 10 year old son has shot my VP9 and a couple of other 9mms I have, and my 12 year old son has really taken a liking to my Springfield Champion .45 ACP. Which is odd because though he is tall at over 5', he is a bean pole just like I was at that age. He shoots that .45 better than any of my striker fired 9mms. My ten year old isn't quite as tall, but he is thicker. It's been a while since he's shot any of my handguns but I seem to remember he like the VP9.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/GDa8Zy" target="_blank">https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1579/26674763966_d5de282868_c.jpg</a>Screenshot_2016-04-26-22-10-56 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

The trigger and rolling recoil of a 1911 makes it a pleasure to shoot and may spoil a person for triggers.

The VP9 though quite large is relatively light and about as easy to shoot.

The boy really likes my 5" 1911 in 45. I may have to let him try it one day. He's really been wanting to shoot my 45ACP S&W revolver as well. Maybe next time.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#6]
"The recoil looks severe because it is"

no, it isnt. it will be when you grip the pistol low as pictured though.
I taught my kids to hold the grip as high as possible to control it best.

my 11yr old girl shoots my VP40 pretty good
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't feel bad Rick.  Your 10 year old is doing better than my 15 year old. And he's a lot bigger.  I've got some work to do.  I let him shoot my G26 and he only took one shot and didn't want to shoot it any more.  I guess I should've tried a lighter kicking 9mm first.  It's all I had with me.  But my kids both shoot .22's all day long.  I'm not sure what to have them try.  A model 10 would be a good idea.  I have a 6" model 19 that might be a good one for him to try.  I'm afraid he's going to think it's heavy though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
"The recoil looks severe because it is"

no, it isnt. it will be when you grip the pistol low as pictured though.
I taught my kids to hold the grip as high as possible to control it best.

my 11yr old girl shoots my VP40 pretty good
View Quote

Everyone's different.

Great for her.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don't feel bad Rick.  Your 10 year old is doing better than my 15 year old. And he's a lot bigger.  I've got some work to do.  I let him shoot my G26 and he only took one shot and didn't want to shoot it any more.  I guess I should've tried a lighter kicking 9mm first.  It's all I had with me.  But my kids both shoot .22's all day long.  I'm not sure what to have them try.  A model 10 would be a good idea.  I have a 6" model 19 that might be a good one for him to try.  I'm afraid he's going to think it's heavy though.
View Quote

I don't. I'm quite proud of him. He does his best.

His hands are small enough it's only a thumb knuckle around the back strap.
Screenshot_2016-04-26-22-11-13 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

So yeah, he's holding it wrong...it's kinda the way it is.

Yes, the 9mm's recoil a lot in his hands. He has plenty of time to work on it. It's not a worry.

He can out shoot everyone on the range with this on a given day, and that's okay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNCns2eclFE

People can critique his hold or my instruction. That's fine.

He does alright despite it all.
20160428_135625_Richtone(HDR) by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, that's some great shooting with the wheelgun!  Does his finger reach in DA, or does he just do single action?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 7:30:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah, that's some great shooting with the wheelgun!  Does his finger reach in DA, or does he just do single action?
View Quote

Single action. He can't pull a DA trigger yet.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#12]
That's what I figured.  It's great seeing people with their kids shooting.  So cool.  

I freaking love that 9mm 1911 you have.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:44:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah. It's nice to share such moments.

That gun is fun and easy to shoot as well. That's how I like 'em.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I shot a full sized 9mm 1911 once and it was everything I thought it would be.  I heard angels singing.  I guess I like guns that don't have too much felt recoil.  Everything about it was easy to shoot.  Trigger, recoil, sights.  I've always wanted one but never got one yet.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I like guns that make practical shooters as well as good defensive pistols.

My favorites I buy.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I agree.  I was never a Glock guy but I have to say, I'm impressed with the G26 I have.  I didn't think I'd be able to shoot it as good as I can.  Now my problem is I just want to shoot fast, and I start to lose a little bit of focusing on the basics.  I was shooting at 10 yards today as fast as I pretty much can get a sight picture, and pushing that, and kept most on one of those small silhouettes.  It looks like about half sized.  With a few in the 3" circle in the middle.  I was doing one handed too.  I forgot to do left hand though.......
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:48:18 PM EDT
[#17]
My focus has been speed as well. Not that firing a tiny group at distance isn't satisfying, but pushing other limits is always good. Besides, I usually take a half dozen guns and hundreds of rounds of ammo and I usually don't have all day to shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Too funny.  I'll help you burn some of that ammo up.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top