User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I love that look. And if it had G17 capacity I would be all for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/user/twpayne75/media/pistol/20140811_181019_zpsh6ehf5sa.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/twpayne75/pistol/20140811_181019_zpsh6ehf5sa.jpg</a>

That's why I sold mine. Replaced it with a Sphinx SDP. Couldn't be happier.

And I did it BEFORE Tim did.

Exactly why I want one (jumped in the deal). G17 frame with a 19ish length slide.

Also have a 17,19, & 43.

I love that look. And if it had G17 capacity I would be all for it.

The capacity doesn't matter to me.

I carry a G43 most of the time.

This will be a range gun
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm not a fan of the "ergonomics" argument. Sure, it feels better in my hand. But what do the holes in the paper look like? If you can't shoot worth a damn with a comfortable gun, then what is the point? I own HK, Sig, Glock, springfield, and beretta, and sure the glock is the ugliest and the worst "ergonomically," but when I shoot it my groups are the tightest out of all the guns. Thats what I care about. As for  "wrong grip angle," who established there's even a right grip angle? Browning creates the 1911 angle and all of a sudden its as if that is the only grip angle that should be used or accepted. I prefer the glock grip angle. I find I get back faster on target with my glock 19 than my VP9. I don't understand. The grip does not feel uncomfortable to me at all.

I'll reiterate that I believe the VP9 is a great pistol. I think its worth $550. But I don't see one aspect that makes it superior than a glock 19 or an M&P. Shoot it and decide for yourself. If you stack holes in paper with it, buy it and have no regrets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the price they are going for they are definitely worth it, however I don't think there's a real advantage over glock M&P etc. I shoot my glock better which is disappointing seeing as the vp9 trigger is so nice. It's still in my top recommendations for a striker but like I said after owning one for over a year I give it no advantage over some of the established strikers.

For me it is ergonomically superior. Glocks have the wrong angle and 2x4 like contours, S&W and Canik have a too short trigger reach, XD's are bulky and feel unrefined, and the PPQ, while great, has the backstrap hump in the wrong place as well as a squishy feeling trigger. The mechanical accuracy is a step above the others (though comparable to the PPQ) as well.

I'm not a fan of the "ergonomics" argument. Sure, it feels better in my hand. But what do the holes in the paper look like? If you can't shoot worth a damn with a comfortable gun, then what is the point? I own HK, Sig, Glock, springfield, and beretta, and sure the glock is the ugliest and the worst "ergonomically," but when I shoot it my groups are the tightest out of all the guns. Thats what I care about. As for  "wrong grip angle," who established there's even a right grip angle? Browning creates the 1911 angle and all of a sudden its as if that is the only grip angle that should be used or accepted. I prefer the glock grip angle. I find I get back faster on target with my glock 19 than my VP9. I don't understand. The grip does not feel uncomfortable to me at all.

I'll reiterate that I believe the VP9 is a great pistol. I think its worth $550. But I don't see one aspect that makes it superior than a glock 19 or an M&P. Shoot it and decide for yourself. If you stack holes in paper with it, buy it and have no regrets.

They point wrong, crappy factory sights, crappy factory trigger, decent accuracy...though nothing mind blowing. I like Glock but there's too much I'd change.

The cheap mags, fact that parts are everywhere and that everyone and their mom has one are good selling points.

Literally, every pistol we have and most on the market require no adjustment in the hand. With Glock I have to consciously break my wrists down and that's annoying.

For me the VP9 shines as one of the most mechanically accurate out of the box striker fired pistols as well as one if the easiest to make hits with fast of anything I've tried period.

Folks tend to stick with what they're used to. I've tried a bunch but never owned any polymer framed or striker fired guns so that made it easy.

The so called practical/tactical Glocks are pretty sexy...but just not there for me. The retail price structure is also high in my view. The blue label pricing is more in line with where I think it should be.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 1:28:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree that the sights are crap, but everything else  you've said is subjective opinion, which I have no problem with because everyone should shoot what they feel comfortable with, however I have no problem with how they point, trigger feel, accuracy, etc. I don't find the accuracy to be better with the VP. More shootable maybe, but accuracy and recoil control, I'm not so sure. I'm not trying to make it a glock vs VP but I'm just saying it's all subjective. And as for price, I don't see how someone can rag on glock when the vp9 is one of the most expensive polymer striker fired pistols to own and maintain with magazine prices. It should have entered the market at 550 and not a dime more.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#4]
It should have entered the market at 550 and not a dime more.
View Quote

Almost everything new starts at MSRP when it hits the market...unless it sucks and/or nobody wants to buy it.

ETA: There's no denying that there are a few current guns with a much better factory trigger than Glock: VP9, PPQ, P320, even the TP9. At least it's easy to fix if so inclined. The Glock minus connector is good enough.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:57:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They point wrong, crappy factory sights, crappy factory trigger, decent accuracy...though nothing mind blowing. I like Glock but there's too much I'd change.

The cheap mags, fact that parts are everywhere and that everyone and their mom has one are good selling points.

Literally, every pistol we have and most on the market require no adjustment in the hand. With Glock I have to consciously break my wrists down and that's annoying.

For me the VP9 shines as one of the most mechanically accurate out of the box striker fired pistols as well as one if the easiest to make hits with fast of anything I've tried period.

Folks tend to stick with what they're used to. I've tried a bunch but never owned any polymer framed or striker fired guns so that made it easy.

The so called practical/tactical Glocks are pretty sexy...but just not there for me. The retail price structure is also high in my view. The blue label pricing is more in line with where I think it should be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the price they are going for they are definitely worth it, however I don't think there's a real advantage over glock M&P etc. I shoot my glock better which is disappointing seeing as the vp9 trigger is so nice. It's still in my top recommendations for a striker but like I said after owning one for over a year I give it no advantage over some of the established strikers.

For me it is ergonomically superior. Glocks have the wrong angle and 2x4 like contours, S&W and Canik have a too short trigger reach, XD's are bulky and feel unrefined, and the PPQ, while great, has the backstrap hump in the wrong place as well as a squishy feeling trigger. The mechanical accuracy is a step above the others (though comparable to the PPQ) as well.

The VP9 has a great out of the box trigger but it is not more accurate than a G19.  Put down the HK Kool-Aid man.  

As accurate?  probably.  99% of the time the shooter is the issue, and the pistols can put them in a ragged hole when shot from a ransom rest.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The VP9 is just another plastic striker.  To me a Glock 19 is equal or superior in every category.  I sold my VPs and am sticking with Glocks.  The VP9 just doesn't do anything better or different than my Glocks.

I see an aweful lot of them on the EE.  I suspect many others share this view.
View Quote

Agreed.  My VP9 had horrible trigger sting, verified by other shooters, which HK refused to fix or acknowledge so I sold it.  I wouldn't walk across the street to piss on HK if they were on fire, which is a shame cause I shot my buddies P30 and it was nice.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#7]
HK does rock at hammer fired guns.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I agree that the sights are crap, but everything else  you've said is subjective opinion, which I have no problem with because everyone should shoot what they feel comfortable with, however I have no problem with how they point, trigger feel, accuracy, etc. I don't find the accuracy to be better with the VP. More shootable maybe, but accuracy and recoil control, I'm not so sure. I'm not trying to make it a glock vs VP but I'm just saying it's all subjective. And as for price, I don't see how someone can rag on glock when the vp9 is one of the most expensive polymer striker fired pistols to own and maintain with magazine prices. It should have entered the market at 550 and not a dime more.
View Quote

They were $519 at PSA this past weekend.

Cheaper than I can get a 19.4 or 17.4

Not defending as I am a staunch Glock shooter - but did pick up my VP9 today. In the hand the ergos are superior to the Glock and the trigger feels better than mine ( with "-" connector).

I'll get rounds down range this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The VP9 has a great out of the box trigger but it is not more accurate than a G19.  Put down the HK Kool-Aid man.  

View Quote

Get back to us when you can do this with a Glock 19 with a factory barrel . . .

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As accurate?  probably.  99% of the time the shooter is the issue, and the pistols can put them in a ragged hole when shot from a ransom rest.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a reason there's a sizable aftermarket for Glock match barrels.

Obviously most shooters can't out shoot their guns.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:11:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://app.box.com/shared/static/qkea4lapnrbu1esqtz4kls7ycokghza7.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that shooting offhand? off sandbags? with a ransom rest?
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:41:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't really matter - if you are trying to compare the accuracy capability of the guns. I my self are impressed. I am an accomplished bullseye shooter and have won my fair share of matches, and have been in a position where a gun was holding me back. The best I can muster for a group at 25 yards from a Glock is a hair above 2 inches , so it would appear at least in this one case, the HK has great accuracy potential.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:55:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm a glock guy generally but I like to think I'm pretty open minded when it comes to firearms. That said, I'm mandated to carry one and I hate it.

Chief complaints are the mag release, we are being trained to use our trigger finger for mag changes which certainly feels unsafe to me and changes my muscle memory for every gun with a normal mag release, including my back up gun. As someone else said, there is no way to not hold down the slide stop. I've never had the slide lock back on an empty mag. And it only holds 15 rounds.... how the hell did that happen?

Also we are mandated to use the stupid factory photo-luminescent sights instead of true night sights which is stupid beyond belief but not the fault of the gun.

ETA: I do like the trigger, so it's got that going for it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Back in the day 15 rounds was what a typical service sized 9mm handgun carried. Some guns are 17, 18, and 19 rounds, but that's of little merit here. My 45 is eight and my 40 is twelve. It fits in just fine.

If I like a gun a couple rounds won't make or break the decision.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I put 500 rounds through my new VP9 last weekend...Can't say im a fan.
Though, I was really hoping I would be.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Doesn't really matter - if you are trying to compare the accuracy capability of the guns. I my self are impressed. I am an accomplished bullseye shooter and have won my fair share of matches, and have been in a position where a gun was holding me back. The best I can muster for a group at 25 yards from a Glock is a hair above 2 inches , so it would appear at least in this one case, the HK has great accuracy potential.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To me a 3/4" difference in mechanical accuracy is irrelevant.

For you, I can see it being important. But for me a 1.4" vs 2"  group is close enough to not matter, even if that is repeatable.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Doh!
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Elaborate
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Elaborate
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Elaborate

Maybe it is the cocking ears for power charging the slide
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:41:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not defending as I am a staunch Glock shooter - but did pick up my VP9 today. In the hand the ergos are superior to the Glock and the trigger feels better than mine ( with "-" connector).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I saw that and would definitely say pick one up at that price. I believe thats where it should be priced. I also agree that the trigger break is superior however I think the reset is superior on the Glock. The VP has a longer reset with a little take up after the reset that kind of bothers me. Reminds me of the slack after the reset on a DA/SA.
I will so ergonomically its no comparison the VP is more ergonomic and feels better. However I shoot my Glock better than I do the VP and feel more confident with it in my hand. I just don't think theres anything special about the VP9 to warrant the $650 that it is going for at many places.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 8:25:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:  I just don't think theres anything special about the VP9 to warrant the $650 that it is going for at many places.
View Quote

Then how is it okay that they get $600 for a Glock at many places?  It has already been pointed out that a VP9 is superior in many way...sights, trigger, and barrel fit and quality.

I have felt that Glocks are overpriced considering what they sell for on the police market.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Then how is it okay that they get $600 for a Glock at many places?  It has already been pointed out that a VP9 is superior in many way...sights, trigger, and barrel fit and quality.

I have felt that Glocks are overpriced considering what they sell for on the police market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I just don't think theres anything special about the VP9 to warrant the $650 that it is going for at many places.

$600 for a plastic pistol equals

I really like my glocks but would never buy one for over 5
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Who said it was okay to pay $600 for a Glock? Are you talking the expensive ones like the G34? Not just to mention, that is the exception and extreme end of the price range. 90% of stores sell them for 539.99 for a Gen 4 or 500 for a Gen 3. You're pointing out the rare exception. The standard price for a VP is around 600. I go to enough stores, shows, and ranges to know. Many places have them for 650, including two big name stores I'm not going to mention. You're literally comparing the extreme on one end to the standard of another. Not the same. I haven't seen a $600 Glock in a couple years since the mad rush during the last election, in which ALL guns go up significantly in price. If that's what you're talking about, then wait until this fall and see how much VP's cost, if you can even get your hands on one.

And just out of curiosity, what does "barrel fit" mean?
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point is that if you think a VP9 is overpriced then you have to put the same standard against the Glock, a pistol that I have never paid more than $400 for on the used market.

Barrel fit refers to how well the barrel mates up to the slide and locking block which in addition to barrel and ammo quality, attributes to accuracy in a pistol.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#25]
As Gucci as most shooters are, it would be foolish for Glock to put better sights on their guns.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:35:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My point is that if you think a VP9 is overpriced then you have to put the same standard against the Glock, a pistol that I have never paid more than $400 for on the used market.

Barrel fit refers to how well the barrel mates up to the slide and locking block which in addition to barrel and ammo quality, attributes to accuracy in a pistol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get 3 mags with a glock for $539.99....still don't get your argument. Have you read my other comments on the pistol? I said it was a good gun.  Just because I criticize it doesn't mean you have to attack glock..I think there both great guns. I'm not going to put it above the glock when I shoot it better than the VP, I don't care about trigger and grip feel. It offers me nothing over that of some other pistols. And I own it, I'm not just blatantly hating on it, I'm not going to drink the kool aid because everyone else is.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:38:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You get 3 mags with a glock for $539.99....still don't get your argument. Have you read my other comments on the pistol? I said it was a good gun.  Just because I criticize it doesn't mean you have to attack glock..I think there both great guns. I'm not going to put it above the glock when I shoot it better than the VP, I don't care about trigger and grip feel. It offers me nothing over that of some other pistols. And I own it, I'm not just blatantly hating on it, I'm not going to drink the kool aid because everyone else is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bashing?  I stated the difference between two guns and why I would expect the prices to be different.  If you are happy with your $539 Glock then enjoy.  I have both and really like the refinements that HK made in their version of a striker fired polymer pistol.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I got mine for a range toy and for that purpose, it's perfect.  Feels great in the hand, good trigger and very accurate.  But my carry gun will remain a Glock. I have a lot more familiarity with them and mine have always been 100% reliable from day one.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:11:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I have only shot a couple rounds through a VP9 but I can say that it feels really freaking nice in my hands.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top