Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2016 10:45:57 PM EDT
Up until Nov/Dec last year I didn't understand the whole weapon light on a carry gun concept.  I saw the merits to it but I didn't really "get" it.  Well I had a pucker your cornhole moment that made me "see the light."  I've been kind of mulling it over since then and have pretty much decided that the benefits outweigh the negatives.  

Yesterday at 0130 my wife and I were watching a movie when her car alarm started blaring.  Since we've had a rash of vehicle break ins lately I figured we were their next victims.  I grabbed my 1911, because nothing good happens after midnight, and was out the door within seconds.  As soon as I opened the door I heard someone start running; by the time I rounded the corner of the garage I saw them disappear around the corner towards the main street leading out of our section of the subdivision.  Because I went from a well lit room to ambient darkness (Illum was decent but not great) I wasn't able to really see all that well.  

I normally have a surefire G2 I leave by the door, but my wife moved it on me so I had nothing other than my 1911 and 9rds.  If it came down to firing shots, or even having to ID the target, I would have been at a distinct disadvantage.  It's one thing to plan to have a separate handheld light that you plan to use when the time comes, but unless you have it on you 24/7 you don't always get to fight with what you want but rather what you have on or near you.  The thing is, I really should have known better all these years considering what I do for a living.  My M4 has always had a weapon light on it, and none of my issued sidearms have ever had a rail to mount a light to it so it never even registered in my brain to put one on my carry guns apparently.  

Now I'm looking at parts to build a railed CCO as my daily carry gun.  Probably going to switch to either my G19 or P320 Compact till that happens.  Just need to make some holsters for them this weekend.  My wife is also very adamant about me training her to shoot.  She really just shoots for fun, nothing serious, but now I think that's a changing.  Probably going to get a few gas blowback airsoft guns to start her off since we don't get much free time to go to the range anymore.  Was thinking about getting one or two to augment my training.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#1]
They do make add on rails for the 1911 too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:57:04 PM EDT
[#2]
how about the ole cross wrist thing with flashlight in the other hand?  

eta: reading...its for otherpeople.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Better to have and not need than to need and not have the light.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:42:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I have at least one flashlight on me unless I'm in bed in which case it's right next to the bed. If you need to put a light on your pistol to make sure you have one then do it. Best would be weapon light + a good handheld always available.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:31:56 AM EDT
[#5]
The downside is that to see anything you need to be pointing your gun at it.  Works in a combat environment but can suckify your life in a hurry otherwise.  I'll keep the two separate.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:38:56 AM EDT
[#6]
How would the law in your area have treated you had to shoot?

In CO, you would likely be charged with murder in the scenario you described.

Something to think about.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:31:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

If I had to shoot the perp became a threat and it becomes self defense.  If I shoot someone who's running away, in the back, yeah I'd probably go away for murder.

I grabbed the gun because nothing good happens after midnight.  Especially when we've had break in's lately.  And one of their MO's is to test the alarm to see if anyone comes out of if you just silence it.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:46:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Need to work on access and a light.

Just woke up to what sounded like shots.  Close enough that my curtains would brighten a bit, then bang.   Counted 6 or 7,  very evenly spaced, maybe 2 or 3 seconds between.

Maybe fireworks of some kind, dunno.  By the time I got woke enough and went to look out the window the show was over.

The 10mm is on my nightstand next to a flashlight now.

The 3 dog alarm system didn't trigger.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:56:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm glad you...ah... saw the light!

Many on here just don't get it, or they like to make excuses.

One advocates even removing it when you train....  

Threat identification requires being able to see the threat. All those nifty light techniques were because rails hadn't matured yet. Now there is no good excuse to not have a light on a defense or duty weapon. Not one.

Sorry you got probed; hope you didn't lose anything.

Next time, be careful, one may be waiting at the door when you come boiling out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:57:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The downside is that to see anything you need to be pointing your gun at it.  Works in a combat environment but can suckify your life in a hurry otherwise.  I'll keep the two separate.
View Quote

Actually you dont have to aim right at something to have the light splash light up the target to identify.

Having the spare hhl on top of a wml is the best option. I use my hand held light 50 times a day and none of thoughs times would it be appropriate to draw a gun
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Just keep a handheld next to the pistol . Buy more hhl and keep them handy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm of the "Keep the light and the gun separate" school.  But to each their own.

Glad you're okay and glad you didn't need to pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#13]
A motion activated light pointing at the cars would be the next item. Attaching the light to the gun can help, having the light on you when dressed is important, too.

I'm seeing another issue, tho - running out the door and leaving it open. There is a bigger risk doing that and a weapon light doesn't fix it. What has happened is the perp now knows if they jump on the bumper you come out running with a gun leaving the house unsecured.

I'd give that more thought and attaching a light to the gun less.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I found this out once too.Our USPSA club had a night shoot, and of course most guys used the flashlight 1 hand pistol in the other hand  technique.The guys who had weapon mounted lights had a huge advantage  in accuracy being able to shoot freestyle with both hands.Ironically most of the law enforcement guys were shooting weapon mounted lights. I am a believer now.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This became very clear to me not only through critical thinking but tangibly in a low-light / night pistol course I took that was geared towards armed citizens not acting in LE and military roles. Sometimes threat identification requires shining a light on persons that aren't the threat and muzzling them is a violation of one the 4 fundamental rules.

Quoted:
I have at least one flashlight on me unless I'm in bed in which case it's right next to the bed. If you need to put a light on your pistol to make sure you have one then do it. Best would be weapon light + a good handheld always available.

A weapon light is not a replacement for always having a good handheld on you. Often one needs a light when there is no threat and they just need to see what's around them. I use my handheld almost every day and it would be crazy for me to draw my gun just to be able to see better.
I always have a flashlight on me. My office for example is pitch black when the lights go out even in the middle of the day. When that happened last week it would have been bad if had to draw my gun to light up the room. I was the only one that had a light of any type that wasn't their phone too.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Actually you dont have to aim right at something to have the light splash light up the target to identify.

Having the spare hhl on top of a wml is the best option. I use my hand held light 50 times a day and none of thoughs times would it be appropriate to draw a gun
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly. I don't plan on replacing my handheld with a weapon light. I'm just adding the weapon light into my carry. I will probably downsize my handheld light though, been meaning to do that for a few years now.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a light on the nightstand gun and a handheld light next to that. I don't really see the need for a weapon mounted light when away from home.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:17:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This became very clear to me not only through critical thinking but tangibly in a low-light / night pistol course I took that was geared towards armed citizens not acting in LE and military roles. Sometimes threat identification requires shining a light on persons that aren't the threat and muzzling them is a violation of one the 4 fundamental rules.

A weapon light is not a replacement for always having a good handheld on you. Often one needs a light when there is no threat and they just need to see what's around them. I use my handheld almost every day and it would be crazy for me to draw my gun just to be able to see better.
I always have a flashlight on me. My office for example is pitch black when the lights go out even in the middle of the day. When that happened last week it would have been bad if had to draw my gun to light up the room. I was the only one that had a light of any type that wasn't their phone too.

Cheers!
-JC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheers!
-JC

I was speaking more towards home scenarios, if you go out the door with only a weapon light I don't know what to tell you.

IMO, a quality handheld is a #1 essential item for EDC. After I started carrying one I don't know how people get along without them, I'd take my light over a knife and/or my Leatherman if I had to choose.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Rewind just a bit. You should've taken the AR out instead of the pistol. You knowingly went charging into a potential shooting situation and chose the wrong weapon.
The fact that the AR already has a light is a bonus. Once it's understood that the only time a handgun makes since is in a CCW situation, it's my opinion that a separate light is superior to a weapon mounted light. Mounting a light to your pistol only encourages it's use in a situation such as you were in, which as I said, is a potentially deadly mistake.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#20]
OP you just described a HD gun with a light, not a carry gun with a light.

My HD and carry guns are diff.

Downside to carry gun with a light is bulk.  Which doesn't really matter for a gun you keep on the table.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I found this out once too.Our USPSA club had a night shoot, and of course most guys used the flashlight 1 hand pistol in the other hand  technique.The guys who had weapon mounted lights had a huge advantage  in accuracy being able to shoot freestyle with both hands.Ironically most of the law enforcement guys were shooting weapon mounted lights. I am a believer now.
View Quote

That is a hoot, we have night shoots too in our league....WML nearly always do better, and I love blasting away at a dozen or more targets that way.  The extra weight up front really helps too.

But I don't see getting into anything like our stages on a trip to the store, so I carry a handheld and a pistol.
Nothing wrong with it as long as you are fine with pointing the gun at everything needing light, or carrying a HHL also.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's difficult as fuck and I've seen it cause quite a few NDs in training.  When you cross your hands your brain now tries to cross your hands.  The most effective way I've seen and tried is to hold the light against your head, right above your weak side ear.  It gives you a good index point and it doesn't confuse your brain.  Very intuitive.

Handguns have been coming with rails for the better part of 20 years and the OP just figured it out??  K then...
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Good call on the light.  My main "drawer gun" is a Glock 23 with a TLR-1.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Rewind just a bit. You should've taken the AR out instead of the pistol. You knowingly went charging into a potential shooting situation and chose the wrong weapon.

The fact that the AR already has a light is a bonus. Once it's understood that the only time a handgun makes since is in a CCW situation, it's my opinion that a separate light is superior to a weapon mounted light. Mounting a light to your pistol only encourages it's use in a situation such as you were in, which as I said, is a potentially deadly mistake.
View Quote

Didn't have a complete AR at the moment. Only long gun I had that's all together at that moment is a R700.

So with that in mind I still think I picked the best tool available to me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

OP you just described a HD gun with a light, not a carry gun with a light.

My HD and carry guns are diff.

Downside to carry gun with a light is bulk.  Which doesn't really matter for a gun you keep on the table.
View Quote

The only HD handgun I own that I don't carry is a G34. All the rest have been used as a carry gun at one point or another.  I carry a LC9 the most, a 1911 second most, and a G19 from I me to time
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially with today's bright LED's - the answer is, get both and get professional low light firearms training.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good points.  I agree.  

I would add that OP should probably not have not given up cover & concealment, voluntarily making himself defenseless to a setup.  If he opens his door and runs out wondering what's going on, and someone wants to kill him, he's a dead man.  He said he ran into the dark without a light "SECONDS" after hearing some fuckery.  I don't care how alpha he thinks he is, if he does that and someone is laying prone across the street, he's dead as fried chicken. Or maybe they're waiting next to the door with a baseball bat. Or a knife.  Maybe there are four of them with shotguns.

OP:
her car alarm started blaring. Since we've had a rash of vehicle break ins lately I figured we were their next victims. I grabbed my 1911, because nothing good happens after midnight, and was out the door within seconds.
View Quote

Do your best to protect your GF's car stereo, sure. But don't expose your soft fleshy while giving up all the advantage that you, the armed citizen has, without scanning the AO a little.  Look outside through a window in a dark room and turn on the exterior lights. Check a couple angles.  Your body is your #1 asset
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#28]
This is ARFCOM. both or GTFO.

The surefire XC1 is a game changer in this arena. Carries IWB on a profile slimmer than the frame of a Glock 19. This paired with a great EDC light is the way to go.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:41:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
That's difficult as fuck and I've seen it cause quite a few NDs in training.  When you cross your hands your brain now tries to cross your hands.  The most effective way I've seen and tried is to hold the light against your head, right above your weak side ear.  It gives you a good index point and it doesn't confuse your brain.  Very intuitive.

Handguns have been coming with rails for the better part of 20 years and the OP just figured it out??  K then...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I tried the cross wrist thing at first and noticed it was clumsy at best. I usually do the in between middle and ring fingers on my support hand and activate against my dominant hands knuckle. Still not great but allows for a 2 handed grip. Haven't tried the against the head method, but have seen it demonstrated before.

Been carrying for a little less than 8 years, shooting handguns for about 10, and I'm still continuing to learn. Some stuff I used think was the be all and end all isn't anymore, and some stuff I disregarded as silly or not really applicable is.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:57:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This is ARFCOM. both or GTFO.

The surefire XC1 is a game changer in this arena. Carries IWB on a profile slimmer than the frame of a Glock 19. This paired with a great EDC light is the way to go.

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/thectsentinel/13861ea383380bcf4135b0686b019291_zpszjivo1wr.jpg
View Quote

This, I carry a 19 w/the XC1 attached. I also pocket carry a small Streamlight handheld, and use it all the time for daily tasks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:59:46 AM EDT
[#31]
I also want to ask a related question - people jump all over somebody who uses a weaponlight on a handgun every time its brought up. But its even been mentioned here, that a rifle or shotgun with light is a better option in some cases.....you still have to sweep anything you want to illuminate with those weapons as well. So why all the hate on pistol lights? Either way an ND is still an ND
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:43:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I also want to ask a related question - people jump all over somebody who uses a weaponlight on a handgun every time its brought up. But its even been mentioned here, that a rifle or shotgun with light is a better option in some cases.....you still have to sweep anything you want to illuminate with those weapons as well. So why all the hate on pistol lights? Either way an ND is still an ND
View Quote

I dont hate pistol lights, I just dont see the need two carry two lights when I CCW and I use the HHL much more so that's what I use; not bashing pistol lights and if others use them that's fine, YMMV. My WML on a long arms is different, I'm not trying to CCW a long arm, and its a two-handed operation. Using a HHL with a rifle is a PITA; using one with a pistol isn't. I'm considering one on my Glock 21, which I dont CCW because its already a beast
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:50:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Agree on weapon light but OP- you have auto insurance, no?

With all due respect, I highly recommend that you stay inside next time! Sounds like you ran out with zero situational awareness. You may have run into group of 12 armed guys or been distracted while three guys go into your home and meet your family. Did you lock door on way out? Flushing a homeowner outside is a tactic. Once your vision adjusted, you would have wished you assessed the situation a little more.

Protecting property with a gun is a recipe for prison and civil suits. And don't assume that you'd walk after a 100% good SD shoot. It's going to be your word vs the perps crying mom who was just invited to the white house to meet the POTUS. She'll show baby pictures of him on a tricycle tell good morning America all about how her son was going to get a scholarship to Cornell (social justice major) if you had just let him live. That he was just buying some Chapstick at 7/11 when you ran outside and murdered him for no good reason.

PS- good to hear wife wants to learn. My wife benefitted from my laserlyte with LASR software setup in basement. Check it out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Agree on weapon light but OP- you have auto insurance, no?

With all due respect, I highly recommend that you stay inside next time! Sounds like you ran out with zero situational awareness. You may have run into group of 12 armed guys or been distracted while three guys go into your home and meet your family. Did you lock door on way out? Flushing a homeowner outside is a tactic. Once your vision adjusted, you would have wished you assessed the situation a little more.

Protecting property with a gun is a recipe for prison and civil suits. And don't assume that you'd walk after a 100% good SD shoot. It's going to be your word vs the perps crying mom who was just invited to the white house to meet the POTUS. She'll show baby pictures of him on a tricycle tell good morning America all about how her son was going to get a scholarship to Cornell (social justice major) if you had just let him live. That he was just buying some Chapstick at 7/11 when you ran outside and murdered him for no good reason.

PS- good to hear wife wants to learn. My wife benefitted from my laserlyte with LASR software setup in basement. Check it out.
View Quote

+1 the best gunfight is the one you avoid.  Stay in the house, look out the window (certainly be tooled up, in case they try to get in), identify who/what you can, call the cops, be a good witness.  

I'm glad nothing bad happened.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#35]
I can't reasonably carry a light on my 19 so I stick a G2X in my back pocket when I'm carrying.  Once I get home, though, I stick my 800 lumen TLR-1 on it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If I had to shoot the perp became a threat and it becomes self defense.  If I shoot someone who's running away, in the back, yeah I'd probably go away for murder.

I grabbed the gun because nothing good happens after midnight.  Especially when we've had break in's lately.  And one of their MO's is to test the alarm to see if anyone comes out of if you just silence it.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*How would anyone but the criminals know such a thing?

Why would you "run out of" a secure house into an unknown situation?
-What if there were 3-4 individuals?
-What if the police were already there and you ran around a poorly lit corner while armed?
-What if someone ran into your now unsecured door?
-What if the person who heard you coming decided to shoot you in the chest as you ran out the door or rounded the corner?

A motion or switched light would likely have been just (if not more) effective at scaring them off (or preventing).

A simple surveillance camera would be cheaper than any weapon/light combo.

Securing yourself and your family is far more important than worrying about an insured vehicle and then creating a potentially life threatening confrontation. A firearm is no substitute for logic and rational thought.

I would suggest what you take from your now 'open eyes' is to not place yourself in such a situation in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Well hindsight being 20/20 and it being easy to armchair quarterback a situation after the fact I see a few things that could have been done better. To answer a few points...

- My front door has a window on it so I could see that there wasn't a group of people immediately outside. I can see clear to the street from it. The only exception being I cannot see my driveway from it. There's about a 25' path that turns left and you are on my driveway.

- My wife locked the door behind me, so no unsecured door.

- I have done enough real life CQB to know if it's your time to catch a bullet you will. It doesn't matter if you are a world class pro or a rookie fresh out of basic.

- I don't own the home, and the homeowner is adamnt about not doing any upgrades such as lighting, security, or even AC. It's part of the reason we aren't renewing our lease here. Buying here didn't make sense because I'm not investing into a $250k home (average for the area is pretty high my neighborhood starts at $215k and goes up) for me to live in it for 3-4years then have to sell. My rent is a lot less than a mortgage. If I owned the home I would have put in 6 cameras, installed lighting on either side of the garage door

-having more handhelds around is never a bad idea. Making sure they stay in their "home" and not walking off to another part of the house is the key.

-it takes several minutes for your eyes to adjust to the dark, having a light at night is very important.

-You don't always have what you want or what you normally carry when shit happens. I was in my PJ pants, so I didn't have a belt or pockets. The fact my 1911 was on the end table was a fluke, normally it would have been on my nightstand since we came back down to watch a movie after putting our son to bed earlier.  Hence why having a weapon light is better than having nothing

-going outside to check it out might not have been the smartest idea, but I did it and I'm not dead nor is anyone else. Could have gone a lot worse, could have gone better.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#38]
DO IT!  I live rurally in Pitch Blackness, our bedside flashlights have Glocks attached to them!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:27:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Crimson Trace Lightguard may do the trick.

I've had the Crimson Trace Laserguard (the trigger guard mount) mounted to my Colt 1911 for several years with no zero issues. CT makes the same unit with a 100 lumens light (CR2 battery, 2 hours run time)

I also have a Streamlight TLR-4 light/laser combo mounted on an AK pistol, only been on there for a year but so far has not had any issues.

Personally, I'd prefer to have both a powerful handheld flashlight for outdoor use AND a lower powered weapon mounted light for indoor use.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#40]
9 rounds, time for a mecgar 20 round mags

Or a usp tactical 45 or fnp 45 Tactical and can.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Call cops let them use there lights to chase perps, but I agree a mounted light is a good to have.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:    Protecting property with a gun is a recipe for prison and civil suits. And don't assume that you'd walk after a 100% good SD shoot. It's going to be your word vs the perps crying mom who was just invited to the white house to meet the POTUS. She'll show baby pictures of him on a tricycle tell good morning America all about how her son was going to get a scholarship to Cornell (social justice major) if you had just let him live. That he was just buying some Chapstick at 7/11 when you ran outside and murdered him for no good reason.
View Quote

That's jurisdictionally dependent.  I don't doubt your advice for Maryland.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#43]
A weapon light is not a replacement for always having a good handheld on you.
View Quote

This
I think your experience is not really about needing a weapon mounted light as needing to KEEP a light handy.  
I don't know where your from but most states you can't shoot someone for stealing property, or running away after the fact.  You really want to point a gun at someone in this charged climate just cause you have a light on it & need to see?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don't have to sweep anything.  You don't have a little Christmas light on the gun, it damn sure should be the brightest Surefire they make at the time.  

With 600 lumens you use the spill to illuminate things.  It's been working that way since 150 lumens was a big light.  Training.  It's where you learn how to use the stuff on your gun.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:41:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I dont hate pistol lights, I just dont see the need two carry two lights when I CCW and I use the HHL much more so that's what I use; not bashing pistol lights and if others use them that's fine, YMMV. My WML on a long arms is different, I'm not trying to CCW a long arm, and its a two-handed operation. Using a HHL with a rifle is a PITA; using one with a pistol isn't. I'm considering one on my Glock 21, which I dont CCW because its already a beast
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not picking out anyone in particular, just something I always think about.

Also, go on and carry that G21 bro. Carry it. In Appendix. WITH a weaponlight attached. Go big or go home
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:45:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You don't have to sweep anything.  You don't have a little Christmas light on the gun, it damn sure should be the brightest Surefire they make at the time.  

With 600 lumens you use the spill to illuminate things.  It's been working that way since 150 lumens was a big light.  Training.  It's where you learn how to use the stuff on your gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive taken several low-light classes, and do train with my weapon & light systems. Just pointing out the first thing weaponlight haters always bring up is "OMG pointing a gun at the children...... THE CHILDREN"
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Ive taken several low-light classes, and do train with my weapon & light systems. Just pointing out the first thing weaponlight haters always bring up is "OMG pointing a gun at the children...... THE CHILDREN"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a hater of weapon mounted lights, in fact my HD shotgun (FN SLP) has one as does my bedside gun (G20SF), however those are 'inside guns' in my HD plan.  IOW, they were never meant for chasing people down the street.

I'm defending my home against common criminals, not against a military squad.  I've done my 20 and I'm retired now, I try to keep a realistic approach to the actual threats, not Walking Dead inspired, police, or military scenarios.  

Now, that said, I am NOT AT ALL critical of someone else's different approach; I really don't care.  I'll do it my way and if your way is different, so be it; I'll still buy you a beer and we can have a pleasant afternoon discussing the whats, hows, and whys.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

No you don't. Gun at low ready, weapon light bumped on, light splashes up and you can see. Then you move. Repeat.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 1:21:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm not a hater of weapon mounted lights, in fact my HD shotgun (FN SLP) has one as does my bedside gun (G20SF), however those are 'inside guns' in my HD plan.  IOW, they were never meant for chasing people down the street.

I'm defending my home against common criminals, not against a military squad.  I've done my 20 and I'm retired now, I try to keep a realistic approach to the actual threats, not Walking Dead inspired, police, or military scenarios.  

Now, that said, I am NOT AT ALL critical of someone else's different approach; I really don't care.  I'll do it my way and if your way is different, so be it; I'll still buy you a beer and we can have a pleasant afternoon discussing the whats, hows, and whys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like your style, sir. I'm a long ways from WA, but if i'm ever in the neighborhood ill take you up on that beer and conversation
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 1:39:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Having a handheld is all fine and dandy until you don't have it when then you need it. Just because you have a weapon mounted light does not mean you can't carry a handheld as well. My carry gun (G20 or G19 depending) wears a TLR-1HL. I've also carried a Z2 for 10ish years. Works for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top