Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2016 9:52:56 AM EDT
Ive owned way too many carry guns and have settled on the CW9 the last 2 years. I don't really plan on switching but wanted to hear some opinions.

I don't want to hear about the reliability or quality of the CW9, 500+rds without a single failure makes me thing some of you are doing something wrong (ammo, cleaning, etc)

SO, what is comparable to the CW9 (size/weight)? I have been thinking the G42. Looking for 9mm/380. I carry 9mm but believe .380 is PLENTY of stopping power unlike some that believe you must carry a .45 with a 100rd drum.

Anything out there other than the Shield and G42?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#1]
CZ Rami
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I own a CW9 and like it just fine. FWIW, I'm an FFL and see a lot of the other options. I could easily sell my CW9 in my own store and flip it for one of the new offerings at essentially no cost. I've looked at the Shield, the G43, the LC9s, the PPS, the XDS . . . none of them have tempted me to switch. I don't consider any of them to be better than the CW9 in any significant way. Not enough to cause me to buy new holsters and go through a break-in ritual to "upgrade."

The CW9 is fine. I own one and I'm good with it. I see no reason to change.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#3]
If i started over again Id probably go g43 but my cw9 is fine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry a PPS. Not only has it been 100% reliable, I enjoy shooting it (has a good trigger and changeable backstrap).

If you like the CW9, no reason to switch.  Keep what suits you and ignore everything else.

I don't bother with .380 because the guns are too small for my hands.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:38:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If i started over again Id probably go g43 but my cw9 is fine.
View Quote

Pretty much this. I bought my CW9 before the release of the G43. I bought a spare mag and had a friend make me a custom Kydex one-piece holster/mag case. Although a huge Glock fan, I like the CW9 well enough that I'm not going to bother switching. Trigger took a little getting used to, but it's not bad.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Seems obvious - the CW380. It's the same to what you are already used to with trigger and manual of arms.

I went thru some research on pocket pistols and when you prioritize the essentials such as size/weight, trigger, and slide hold open the Kahr came out on top. Plus it's fun at the range where some of the others are simply work and abuse. Loading a Kahr mag by hand is far and away a much easier chore compared to the SIG P938 which requires a mag loader to assist. Shooting 50 rounds from the Kahr is a treat where shooting two mags from an LCP was about it. With the slide lock you can get the Kahr back and running just as fast as any other professional grade duty gun. The LCP? Carrying a second mag means racking the slide - under stress -

Aside from inserting bullets in mags the SIG P238/938 are worth looking at, along with the P290.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I have been using the CW9 as my most carried pistol since 07 and have bought new guns since then but always go back to the CW9.

As far as comparable the Bersa BP9CC is pretty much the same size and I think has a better trigger and holds one more round, if loaded to 8rds like a CW9 I think it is the same weight.

I believe that the Kel-Tec PF9 is lighter weight but I feel like a step down in quality and reliability.

Taurus 709slim, I have been impressed by the 2 that I have shot but still its a Taurus.

Beretta Nano is a little smaller than the CW9 but still not a tiny 9mm.

Ruger LC9 seems like a decent alternative but not enough for me to change over.

I also have the Walther PPS and while it is a great gun I still go with the scratched up stainless CW9.

I think that I will end up with a Glock 43 at some point.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't want to hear about the reliability or quality of the CW9, 500+rds without a single failure makes me thing some of you are doing something wrong (ammo, cleaning, etc)
View Quote

It's not ammo or cleaning, it's a roll of the dice.

I had a PM-9 that had rounds nose dive under the feed ramp with quality ammo, and a MK-9 that always threw the last round right back in my face regardless of multiple ammo types, strong grip,  and a trip back to the factory.

Glad your Kahr is working out for you, but there are some of us here that have sworn off them- and we don't have problems with other handgun brands, so it's not something we're doing- it's something Kahr is doing. I wish I could trust them, and invested money in them twice, but I can't.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I carry a CM9, and it's been excellent.  Just a bit smaller than the CW9.  I was thinking of getting the bigger CW9 with the night sight.  Might just add a night sight to my current gun and be done with it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:57:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had a CW9 for 4 years now and never had any problems with any ammo.  Just like you guys I see all the new flavors of small 9mm coming out but just can't make myself leave it when it pretty much fills its roll perfect.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Kel Tec P3AT and Ruger LCP in 380 are much smaller, lighter, and sleeker.

I own a Kahr PM 9.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#12]
It is important to consider the intended use of your gun.    If you plan to carry the gun solo away from home, having a slide lock on the last round is more important.    I generally don't carry a single gun away from home, especially if anyone is with me.   I usually carry 2-3 guns on me, such as a LCR, LCP, and G22/G35.   A slide lock on the last round is not a concern to me on a tiny gun in most situations.    When/if it is, I simply grab something else.

On the other hand, for me, having a "slick" gun is often critical for me on a tiny gun.   That is where guns like the P3AT and LCP shine.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I belt carry the CW9 and pocket carry the G42.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top