Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2016 10:31:23 PM EDT
I've had a LCP for awhile and carry it as much as possible. I decided to get out of 7.62x25 so I traded a beat up Tokarev for a second LCP.
I then discovered the Beretta 84 and thought it was cool, got one from Cole's on GB for cheap.
I picked up a G43 the middle of last year and decided I wanted its little brother, so I found a G42 for cheap.
I've always liked the CZ-82 but didn't want to get into another caliber and then a lightbulb went off in my head... picked up a CZ-83 from Cole's on GB for cheap.
I decided that since I had a bunch of other .380 pistols, I needed a PPK/s. Bid on one on GB then noticed it was missing a rear sight

I won it, called up Walther and they said they're so short on sights they can't sell me one but here's a call tag, we'll have a gunsmith install one for you. Under two weeks later the PPK/s came back with a brand new rear sight installed... no charge

At this point I have my .380 bases covered pretty well, but I'm wondering if there's any must-have .380's that I should add to the collection?
I'm thinking I'll pick up an Armscor/RIA Baby Rock .380 when they come out. A shrunk .380 1911 that doesn't cost $700 (looking at you Browning) should be pretty cool.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:59:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice collection.  Which is your favorite?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I've thought about a 1908 but they cost way too much... Other than the PPK/s ($500ish) and G42 ($350) they have all been $250 or less
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:09:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice collection.  Which is your favorite?
View Quote

It has to be a toss-up between the G42 (very soft recoiling, easy to shoot) and the 84F due to its capacity (and it doesn't hurt that Trinity used them in The Matrix)

I slightly dislike the PPK/s due to its harsh recoil (even though it's iconic) and CZ-83 because even though I have larger hands it's impossible to activate the mag release with my thumb due to how fat the grips are (I have to use my middle finger to release it unless I completely change my grip position)

The LCPs are both gen 1 so the trigger isn't the best but the Hogue grips make them shootable, although a bit fat
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I hear you. Although I've had a few .380s over the years, I got out of .380 quite a few years ago and never wanted to get back into it.

A few years ago, my mother decided she wanted to get her CCW.  I tried to give her advice about what to get and she didn't listen and ended up with a 1st Gen LCP with LaserMax laser. She has arthritis in her hands pretty badly and, after getting it home, found out that she couldn't work the slide at all. Her arthritis wouldn't let her grip the slide firmly enough to retract it. I traded her the LCP for my S&W M649 .357 snubbie because she couldn't afford to buy another gun right then and found her some standard pressure .38 hollow points, She LOVES it and, with standard pressure ammo, recoil is mild enough for her to actually be able to shoot it. It meant, though, that I now had a .380.

I took it out and, lo and behold, it shot pretty well for a tiny gun having practically non-existent sights and a DAO trigger. I qualified with it at my PD job and carried it on those rare occasions when I needed a gun but couldn't print at all or had to go REALLY low profile. My big problem is that it is so small that I have a hard time properly gripping it because I have large hands. If I have time to make sure I grip it properly, no problem. If I have to grab it quickly and can't take time to adequately grip it, I have problems shooting it. When you think about it, if you need your gun, do you honestly think you'll have time to make sure you have a good grip? Probably not.

Last fall during qualifications, a guy brought out a Glock 42 to qualify with. Now, I'd heard and read all the bitches about the G42 when they came out. I didn't have any direct experience with one, so I believed them. After actually handling and shooting the G42, I found that, while the barrel and slide are longer than the LCP, the grip is about the same length as the LCP (because of the size of my hands, I HAVE to use the finger extension magazine base plate; without the extension base plate, the LCP is a little shorter than the G42). It is just enough bigger that I can shoot it pretty well but still small enough for pocket carry (although it is at the upper size limit for me), so I bought one to replace the LCP. Although I haven't qualified with it yet, I have been carrying it around the house in the morning, when I am in sweat pants before getting a shower (in fact, it's in my pocket as I type this).

So now, here I am, going from not wanting any .380s at all, to having 2, within a few years. My youngest daughter is very small for her age and the LCP fits her well and she shoots it pretty well, so at my wife's urging, she will be getting it for her birthday this July. So now, when we have the $$$, I'm going to get set up to reload .380, as well. She loves shooting the LCP and I love shooting my G42, so it also went from something I just shot maybe a couple hundred rounds a year, to something that will probably be shot in reasonably high volume between my daughter and I. Kinda pisses me off a little. I didn't want anything at all to do with .380 and was trying to standardize all my "social" guns in 9mm, now it has a definite place in my house.

Bub75
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer .32 to .380 but if I see a nice one I will not pass it up. That is what happened when I stumbled on a mint Mauser HSc at the funshow a few months back. It is my only .380 at the moment but I do have a couple .32's as well.

Figured I would throw a .22 short in here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#7]
VZ-61

Mac 11 & 12

Baikal IJ70-17A is my favorite .380 pistol to actually shoot, very accurate and reliable and soft enough shooting to get through a box or 2 at a time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Baikal IJ70-17A is my favorite .380 pistol to actually shoot, very accurate and reliable and soft enough shooting to get through a box or 2 at a time.
View Quote

I should look for one of those, a good way to get a "Mak" without getting into 9x18

What do they take for mags? Standard Mak mags or something special?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I should look for one of those, a good way to get a "Mak" without getting into 9x18

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They take standard Makarov mags and parts except for the barrel. Also the rear sight on the IJ70's is an adjustable commercial style so does not interchange with military style Maks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Good to know, I'll put some feelers out for one
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:24:34 AM EDT
[#11]
How about a S&W Bodyguard 380?

I only have one .380, a Glock 42.  I only use if for GSSF matches and have in fact won twice with it (amateur class).  I used to have a Colt Mustang...that would be another for you.  And an older Sig P230, or one of their current offerings.  Actually, it was the Sig 230 that made me not like .380s--I don't like the way blowback .380 feel when shooting.  Locked-breach guns like the Colt and the Glock handle much better.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I should shoot a friend's bodyguard but it doesn't have much appeal to me. The P230/232 is pretty close to the PPK/s and more than I really want to pay for a .380

I've thought about a mustang but I think I'll just keep my eyes open for a 1908 that's not stupidly expensive.

I'll have to see if the Armscor/RIA baby rock scratches the mini 1911 itch or if I should grab a P238. I've shot a friend's and it was nice but I'd have to find a killer deal on one as well
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I prefer .32 to .380 but if I see a nice one I will not pass it up. That is what happened when I stumbled on a mint Mauser HSc at the funshow a few months back. It is my only .380 at the moment but I do have a couple .32's as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/MauserHsc380b_zps2dyhsob9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/Savage1907bS_zps9f92274a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/ManhurinWalther.jpg

Figured I would throw a .22 short in here.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/AstraCub1_zpsf476d4ef.jpg
View Quote

That Savage is nice.  I had one long ago.  Looked different but shot great
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:14:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Have owned several .380s over the years but none currently.

CZ83 (southpaw son has now)
Savage 1917
Walther PPK/s w/custom grip reduction smaller than a PPK
ADC Model 7 lightweight derringer (sister has)

CD
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Mustang/P238/Kimber Micro.

I've found these guns are much more shootable than a LCP with no downside other than a manual safety (trigger is worth it)
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:44:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Best shooting .380 I've ever owned. I've had a few.
My favorite uncle gave me this one...

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#17]
grendel .380 that doesnt have a magazine

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Sig 230 or 232
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Scored an IMEZ IJ70-17A off GB for $225 and got some ratty mags from Numrich... I'll see how it shoots tomorrow. I'll probably order the Fab Defense grips if it works fine, heel mag releases are icky
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:22:41 AM EDT
[#20]
i got a mico eagle 380 its a brick and a shooter.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I was looking at the BDA on Aim Surplus last night and had a really hard time not ordering one.  They have the 84BB as well, but the BDA is a really interesting pistol.  One of the pictures has the rollmarks for Beretta and FN side by side.  It's a really nice looking pistol too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Since I already have an 84 I don't see the need for a close cousin but it would be an interesting addition otherwise
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Since I already have an 84 I don't see the need for a close cousin but it would be an interesting addition otherwise
View Quote

The BDA I was referring to has a solid slide, and looks more compact overall.  It looks completely different than the 84BB.  A lot sexier, in my opinion.

It's not a Beretta, either.  It was manufactured by Beretta for FN, Browning, according to the ad.  I think one of them had the Beretta and FN logo on the slide, with Browning grips.  That's awesome.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#24]
The 84 is cute.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:16:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Nice, you need a P238 too
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I've been thinking about a P238 as well...
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:46:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Mustang/P238/Kimber Micro.

I've found these guns are much more shootable than a LCP with no downside other than a manual safety (trigger is worth it)
View Quote

This has been my experience as well, I sold an S&W BG380 and got a P238 after shooting one, by far the best subcompact 380 I have ever shot...
EDIT: I will say I dont mind the thumb safety, but my first gun ever was a 1911, so its familiar...
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I may be working on a trade towards a P238... Almost have them all (that matter to me)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top