Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2016 8:04:44 PM EDT
Hi all,

I am buying my first handgun this month. It is going to be a SP-01 or a P-09, still undecided. Probably an SP-01 Tactical. Either way, if I go with the SP-01 I need to decide if I want a safety or a decocker.

I have been very inaccurate with DA pistols compared to SA or striker fired. But I am relatively new to shooting so I'm sure I can improve this. If I am going to be using the firearm for HD, wouldn't a decocker make more sense? At the range I can shoot in SA but practice in DA when I choose. At home I will keep it stored in a safe loaded and decocked. That seems like the safest, most fool proof manual of arms for a middle of the night SD scenario.

Given that this is my first firearm I am trying to find the best manual of arms for my situation so that I learn and practice with a method that is going to be the most effective. Do I want to give up that first shot accuracy in order to have a fool proof point and shoot engagement at 4 am and not have to deal with a manual safety?

I do love the SP-01 or I'd just pick up the P-09 now and call it a day since I can swap out the decocker for the safety and vice versa.

The gun will never be carried. Range fun and HD only.

I am aware there is no right answer here but if you had to go back and choose to learn on one platform for self defense with your first handgun, would you choose a safety or decocker? Thanks all
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer single action with a manual safety.  Not sure why manual decockers ever came about except to satisfy requirements of DA/SA duty guns.  For a range blaster or at home defense gun I don't see any advantage except the DA gives you second strike capability which is of debatable merit.

SAO CZ's are supposed to be pretty sweet shooters

Also why are you keeping your home defense gun in your safe while you are home?  Safety/decocker or not you are hindering your ability to defend yourself more with the safe than anything.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#2]
My Taurus has both. All the Sig's I have owned just had decocker where as my H&K had safety/decocker. All for SD/HD and range toys. Really just what you prefer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I prefer single action with a manual safety.  Not sure why manual decockers ever came about except to satisfy requirements of DA/SA duty guns.  For a range blaster or at home defense gun I don't see any advantage except the DA gives you second strike capability which is of debatable merit.

Also why are you keeping your home defense gun in your safe while you are home?  Safety/decocker or not you are hindering your ability to defend yourself more with the safe than anything.
View Quote

I should have been more specific. I will be storing it in a Fort Knox lockbox, not a safe.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:22:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

This my CZ97 was amazing!
That said I prefer single action with a safety, I went the rounds, first handgun was a 1911, and now I am returning to the 1911 platform...
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:25:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Springfield EMP (1911 type) and noticed a few times when I carried it that the ambi safety would get bumped on something and disengaged while in the holster.  The thought of a cocked SA with the safety unknowingly off doesn't sit right with me.  With a DA/SA you could effectively put it in a pocket/fanny pack/backpack whatever as it would virtually impossible for the trigger to get pulled accidently.

I practice my DA to SA every time I go to the range and feel comfortable with it.
Also like not having to remember to take off safety (with training this isn't much of an issue, of course).

My 4 year old is unable to pull my DA triggers on my Sigs, but he can on my striker fired Walther PPS.  All are in lockboxes in the house (unless on my hip).  I actually carry my PPS more than anything (great gun and size is nice) but am thinking about getting one of the small Sigs (I forget the model right now, but they have a 9mm with DA/SA that is just a tiny bit wider than my PPS).  Obviously never letting it into his hands (and teaching him never to touch a real gun if he finds one etc) is paramount, but DA makes me feel better than striker or a cocked SA.

Really comes down to what you feel most comfortable with, no right/wrong answer.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#6]
After many years of shooting as a civilian (not LEO or ex-mil), my personal belief is that a DA/SA handgun with a de-cocker only or a striker fired handgun with no safety are what I want in an HD/CCW gun.  But as I said, that's what I want.  If you are willing to invest the time to be a safe gun handler I would absolutely suggest the same.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Safeties IMO are for SAO.  DA/SA decocker.  Striker no manual safety.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:16:07 PM EDT
[#8]
No safety on DA/SA.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
After many years of shooting as a civilian (not LEO or ex-mil), my personal belief is that a DA/SA handgun with a de-cocker only or a striker fired handgun with no safety are what I want in an HD/CCW gun.  But as I said, that's what I want.  If you are willing to invest the time to be a safe gun handler I would absolutely suggest the same.
View Quote

My opinion as well.

I've settled mostly on DA/SA with decocker. Suits me best.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:09:17 AM EDT
[#10]
if there is EVER a situation for the gun that requires me to pull and shoot as fast as humanly possible, I want the decocker and no manual safety to have to think/forget about.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Both require proficiency with their manual of arms, no one wants to re-holster a DA/SA pistol that one has "forgotten" to de-cock after a self defense shooting same as no one wants to keep on squeezing the trigger on a pistol whose safety is still engaged.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I prefer SAO or the Glock Safe Action.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Safeties for SA. Decocker without safety for DA/SA (optional safety in SA mode, but only if it cannot be engaged while in DA mode). No manual safety for striker.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#14]
SA -> safety. DA -> decocker. DAO/striker -> neither.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
SA -> safety. DA -> decocker. DAO/striker -> neither.
View Quote

I subscribe to this gentleman's work flow.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:32:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Really comes down to what you feel most comfortable with, no right/wrong answer.
View Quote

This is what I think. I went with DA because I use a big revolver in the woods and a DA(CZ PCR) in town. Best thing to do is practice with your choice.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
if there is EVER a situation for the gun that requires me to pull and shoot as fast as humanly possible, I want the decocker and no manual safety to have to think/forget about.
View Quote

This is my view also. SA range toy with a manual safety is fine. But my carry & HD guns; no way.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Neither....
But the decocker is the closest to no safety.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I grew up shooting 1911's,  . . . .   so cocked & Locked feels natural for me

The cool thing about th P-09 is, it comes with both, a decocker, and a thumb safety  

really love the P-09
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top