BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Irrelevant.   I use a suppressed SBR for HD anyway.

But you said "all" the benefits, which is false on its face.  Higher velocity and longer sight radius are clearly beneficial.

I've CC'd a G19 daily for more than two decades now, so you don't have to convince me of its worth.  But I'm also acutely aware of what it isn't, and where a larger gun has advantages.   I love my G19s but, if I HAD to use a handgun for HD, it would be one of my 41s or 34s, not a 19.

YMMV.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HD and SD situations are usually 20' and under.  How much extra velocity and sight radius do you need?

Irrelevant.   I use a suppressed SBR for HD anyway.

But you said "all" the benefits, which is false on its face.  Higher velocity and longer sight radius are clearly beneficial.

I've CC'd a G19 daily for more than two decades now, so you don't have to convince me of its worth.  But I'm also acutely aware of what it isn't, and where a larger gun has advantages.   I love my G19s but, if I HAD to use a handgun for HD, it would be one of my 41s or 34s, not a 19.

YMMV.  

You want to hear something weird?  I shoot my G26 better than I did my G19.  From what I can tell.  My 25 yard shots seem to be more centered and tighter.  I think part of it's because this G26 is used and has a lighter trigger.  That might be the bulk of it.  But seriously.....  I love that gun.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:40:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:34:13 PM EDT
[#3]
It's weird, I know that training trumps all, but sometimes some things just work easier for a guy.  You know?   Or maybe it's because I was shooting DA revolvers a lot since I had my G19.  Either way, I'm happy.  I don't think I'd like carrying a 19 as much as I do the 26.  At all.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:22:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Out of your list, G19.

The other 2 I would consider right now would be

Sig Sauer P320 Carry

or

HK VP9

very similar size to G19.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Check out the CZ-P09 and CZ-75 SP-01. Both have rails, high capacity, reliable, and are low recoiling.
View Quote

BOOM.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd like to know how many step out of the shower with a Glock loaded up with a 30 round mag?

Mow the grass? Grille? Change the oil?

You carry the gun on you around the house, it's going to be one you are comfortable to wear and use without hanging up on stuff. I'm speculating but I think there is a lot more chest thumping over carrying a duty sized Glock that is really happening in America. Because forum. Also because G43. Balance that with the number of smaller compact 9mm and .380s sold in the last 6 years. The introduction of new models is significant - and they are all for EDC. Now, I don't have sales figures for Glocks, again, I'm speculating, but I strongly suspect a G19 falls pretty far down the list of guns purchased to have on you all day long. Again, it's not a compact and it's not a lightweight with all that ammo.

The most common gun sold in America today for CCW or EDC is a single stack. Even Glock got the memo and they don't hate you. BUG's for LEO's follow the same trend, so a lot of cops are carrying single stacks off duty - another reason Glock now offers one.

I don't see a Glock survey oriented to promoting the 19 is going to reflect those realities. Fans will rationalize their choice, but in the big picture, it's not all that. I tried it and moved on. So have others, hence the two dozen different pocket autos and compacts on the market. That reflects the larger reality - every one of those sold was a vote against a duty sized double stack belt carry only weapon. The G19 is no pocket auto and I don't often see them mentioned as a CCW finalist on forums. Glock makes smaller models that compete successfully against it. And now the G43.

Ignore all that and resume the idolization. Back to the G19.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd like to know how many step out of the shower with a Glock loaded up with a 30 round mag?

You carry the gun on you around the house, it's going to be one you are comfortable to wear and use without hanging up on stuff. I'm speculating but I think there is a lot more chest thumping over carrying a duty sized Glock that is really happening in America. Because forum. Also because G43. Balance that with the number of smaller compact 9mm and .380s sold in the last 6 years. The introduction of new models is significant - and they are all for EDC. Now, I don't have sales figures for Glocks, again, I'm speculating, but I strongly suspect a G19 falls pretty far down the list of guns purchased to have on you all day long. Again, it's not a compact and it's not a lightweight with all that ammo.

The most common gun sold in America today for CCW or EDC is a single stack. Even Glock got the memo and they don't hate you. BUG's for LEO's follow the same trend, so a lot of cops are carrying single stacks off duty - another reason Glock now offers one.

I don't see a Glock survey oriented to promoting the 19 is going to reflect those realities. Fans will rationalize their choice, but in the big picture, it's not all that. I tried it and moved on. So have others, hence the two dozen different pocket autos and compacts on the market. That reflects the larger reality - every one of those sold was a vote against a duty sized double stack belt carry only weapon. The G19 is no pocket auto and I don't often see them mentioned as a CCW finalist on forums. Glock makes smaller models that compete successfully against it. And now the G43.

View Quote

The day I need to do a tactical oil change is the day I need to find someplace else to live.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The day I need to do a tactical oil change is the day I need to find someplace else to live.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't quite go along with that.  Maybe it's just because I have kids.  I see two relevant threats.  Stray dogs.  It's been a while but we had one summer where a pit bull kept coming around all by himself and we had no idea who's it was and what he was doing.  And I have a 13 year old girl.  I think weirdo's are everywhere.  We live in a relatively decent neighborhood.  It's not high rent district, but it's not slums either.  Just your average income home owners in very rural area.   And I don't care where you live, the weirdo's are out there.  My Mom has had sex trafficking training.  And they don't show on the news every place these things happen.  But they happen in neighborhoods that you might not suspect.  

Now if you guys are single and don't have kids to look out for, sure, I get that.  But my goal is to always have a gun on me.  I don't always achieve it, but close.  I figure the more the better.  

Having said that, I realize maybe I"m just being hypervigilant.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I have recently made this decision for myself in the last few months.  I took me quite awhile to decide on what I would carry and the reasons why for my current choice.  Before I was alternating between a Glock 22/27.  I carried the 22 in a Raven Phantom or a INCOG, and the 27 Usually resided in a Contact Concealment AP Holster or a Galco Quick Slide if I chose to carry on OWB.

I tried many of the handguns that are listed/suggested by others in this post.

The CZ P-07, while a fantastic gun and one that I would definitely love to add to my collection, was not chosen due to I did not want to transition from Da to SA.  I wanted a consistent trigger pull from shot to shot.  The DA was not bad at all, it just wasn't something that I wanted to transition to.  YMMV.

I dismissed the Beretta as well for the same reason.  It is a fantastic firearm and very accurate I just didn't want to deal with the weight of the firearm and the DA/SA trigger.  

I tried the S&W M&P and this was a one of the firearms that I narrowed to a potential choice.  I found the trigger to be consistent from shot to shot, low recoil, comfortable in the hand, and accurate.  however, the one thing that precluded it from my decision was the metal magazines and the size.  It was essentially the same size as the Glock 22 that I was looking to replace and I unfortunately have very acidic sweat that causes metal magazines as well as metal firearms parts such as magazine releases to corrode.  I know that the M&P magazine release is polymer, however when my duty weapon was a Sig 229, I has to wipe down my magazines daily as they would show signs of surface rust.  I tend to carry my firearm and magazines IWB.  Even carrying them OWB they still make contact with my skin and sweat.  I have even tried wearing UA shirts between my skin with no results.

So with all of these issues and considerations I decided on the Glock 19.  For me having carried a Glock 22/27 this seemed to me to be the logical choice.  I find that I shoot it well, it has great magazine capacity, the ability to mount my X300u, the magazines are not affected by my sweat, it is easily concealed, consistent trigger, plenty of holster choices as well as after market parts.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#11]
G19 with a Streamlight or Surefire WML
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This if we are talking HD, there is no reason for a "compact" HD pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of your choices the G19 is the best. It can do it all well

This if we are talking HD, there is no reason for a "compact" HD pistol.

The G19 is a compact pistol
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Sig P320C
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#14]
G17.

Is best Glock.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#15]
M&P 9 FS for me with a 9c close by (EDC so it goes up when I get home).

I was a Glock guy for a long time but found that I shot the M&Ps better so I switched over. Really can't go wrong with any wonder 9.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:02:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I vote CZ P-07 or Glock 19.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Really can't go wrong with any wonder 9.
View Quote

Polymer 9mm's are NOT wonder 9's
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:09:04 AM EDT
[#18]
P226
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:00:19 AM EDT
[#19]
If you do not intend to carry it, then go with a G17/19/34.

If you intend to carry concealed then either a G19 or G17.

CZs are quite nice too.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:25:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'd have to give the nod to Glock.....the G17 for home defense or open carry (I prefer the feel of the full size grip), or the G19 if this is going to primarily be a CCW handgun.
View Quote

Boom, 17 is what I use for my nightstand gun.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top