Posted: 4/21/2016 4:14:48 PM EDT
Looking for a new 9mm for SD/HD and I think
I've narrowed it down to the above.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#1]
SIG 226
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out the CZ-P09 and CZ-75 SP-01. Both have rails, high capacity, reliable, and are low recoiling.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Of your choices the G19 is the best. It can do it all well
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This if we are talking HD, there is no reason for a "compact" HD pistol.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd have to give the nod to Glock.....the G17 for home defense or open carry (I prefer the feel of the full size grip), or the G19 if this is going to primarily be a CCW handgun.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#6]
HK VP9
Glock 17
Glock 34
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Too hard to say with the vast amount of info given.

What 9mm do you currently own? Gonna conceal it? What do you have experience with? What's your budget? Why 9mm?

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#8]
In no particular order

P09
PPQ
P30
G19
P07
G17

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#9]
My vote is for the beretta. If you're not needing a pistol for ccw, the 92 is a great choice.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Check out the CZ-P09 and CZ-75 SP-01. Both have rails, high capacity, reliable, and are low recoiling.
View Quote

I agree.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Of that list I would go for the Beretta 92. I competed with one, and carried one on and off duty, they shoot extremely well and they look good whilst doing it...
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I voted for the Beretta 92A1 Compact but that's a gun gun that doesn't exist.  There is an M9A1 Compact though.

For a gun that's not going to be carried the M9A1 would be the best choice.  I really like the ability to decock and safe the Beretta for off body carry.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:15:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Look into CZ.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:39:27 AM EDT
[#15]

A compact for hd???

Go fullsize with a threaded barrel.

USP TACTICAL 9mm with jet funnel mags or tactical 45 and of course a can.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:20:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The thing about the G19 is that you can use G17 mags in it for more capacity or even a very reliable 33 round factory mag which gives it more firepower than any other pistol I know of.  It is perfect for SD and HD
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:35:31 AM EDT
[#17]
There are alot of great "standards", g19, mp9,B92, sig. But dont overlook the xdm. Great ergos, 100% dependable and a 19rd standard mag. But you cant go wrong with any of these if you bought one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:35:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I just traded into a M9a1 compact and have been really happy with it.

I have always been able to shoot berettas faster than anything else while staying on target. G19 for day to day carry due to weight but the beretta compact is a very close second. If its primarily hd than the beretta wins imo.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:41:39 AM EDT
[#20]
For those that are saying "why a compact?" I'd just like to point out that the OP said HD/SD. So that would imply that he may also consider this for a CCW, in that case the compact makes more sense. Moreover, if we were talking about a purely home defense weapon, i.e. will never be concealed carry and only used for inside your home, how much of a performance gain do we really get going from a Glock 19 to a Glock 17 or 34? What is the farthest shot you may take inside your home? That varies but lets say you have a 30'x30' room. What is the difference in your shot groups at 10 yards between a 19 and 17 or 34? Not a rhetorical question. For some people that may be significant, for others it may not be. While on the subject of HD only guns, what if you then shot your AR15 at 10 yards how much do your groups improve?

Don't get me wrong, I have a Glock 17L that I have set up for "home defense" but really just comes to play at the range and sometimes rides on my hip when I am hunting. For a purely CCW/SD gun, I like Glock 26 sized guns. For a pure HD gun, I like AR15s. For a gun that may fill the role of CCW or HD, a gun like the Glock 19 (or other comparable sized guns) fits the bill pretty well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The thing about the G19 is that you can use G17 mags in it for more capacity or even a very reliable 33 round factory mag which gives it more firepower than any other pistol I know of.  It is perfect for SD and HD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use my 18 rd mecgar m9 mags in my beretta compact. There are also 30rd mags that work well too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#22]
of the choices I voted Glock 19

If I were buying a 9mm strictly for nightstand / home defense duty it would be one of the following in order:

Sig 226 (possibly Tacops or maybe even SAO)
Glock 17 or maybe even 34
Beretta 92A1
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I have all of those and there isn't a bad gun in the lot.  So I'd start with the Glock 19 and get at least 7 additional mags for it.  That will be good enough equipment for you to take some decent courses to learn to really use it.  I'd begin with a Mas Ayoob course.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#24]
19 is a good pick, I am really liking the new m9a3 too
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Glock 19 (or 17 or 34 for that matter).
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#26]
In your poll 58% say go with a Glock. That's got to tell you something. The Glock is not for everyone but a simpler more efficient pistol has not been developed to take the Glock's place yet. I have a 3rd gen RTF and will always  have it. That is one I can't sell.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#27]
So many people voting Glock 19 tells me the general public has some interesting notions of what constitutes a self defense pistol that could be used for home defense.

Many who carry all day use a CCW compatible small frame subcompact or pocket pistol. P938, or Kahr CW380. Grilling, changing the oil on the car, mowing the grass, even in shorts, they work. A G19? I sold it off. Too big for daily carry. The G19 ranks low on the list for a SD gun in America these days. CCW has radically changed that market. Glock knows that for a fact and came out with the G43 precisely to match that demand.

So much for surveys.

HD anyone will need a cell phone first to dial 911 as they go out the back door. Grab your carbine on the way out. I have an AR pistol 10.5" barrel with 70 OTM ammo and at 25 and 1/2" it fits thru doors and hallways without hanging up. Having trained in urban warfare I also understand you DO shoot thru the walls and doors to turn what some thought was cover into a poor way to conceal. American stick framed sheet rock is a joke for stopping most bullets and continuous fire will reduce it to shreds quickly.

Of course, all this is predicated on the entire home defense security plan and outer defenses being mostly vapor ware and having to resort to a worst case situation that could have been prevented all along. But that's what we do on gun forums - ignore reality and plan for disaster all to justify spending money on toys.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Everyone has a different level of tolerance for what size pistol they will carry.
I carry a G19 or CZ P-01 while working every day.    I carry it tucked under a dress shirt and jeans with a good custom leather holster and belt.
   Like many here I own enough pistols that my go-to can change at any time.
I've never been one to beat the G19 drum but it is a really good do it all pistol.  I think to many people don't buy the right holster setup for their needs.
  These big kydex tactical rigs have their place but many have forgot what good leather is like. There are also some great hybrid rigs.

What makes the G19 attractive is the wide aftermarket support and avaliblity.    If I could only have one pistol for carry and HD I would be happy with the following
  G19,  CZ P-01 or P-07
  STI Guardian .45 or other CCO sized 1911
 M&P compact with thin grip
  HiPower.   They conceal better than people think ( very thin down the slide)

Those are ones I have carried and would all work well

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:13:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Glock 19.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:18:36 AM EDT
[#30]
As much as I love the Glock 19, I just cant say enough about the Sig P320. If your looking for a compact SD/HD weapon, the you really can' go wrong with the Sig P320. I have owned Glock 19s in the past, but if I had to make the choice between the two I would happily choose the Sig P320 over the Glock 19
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:34:10 AM EDT
[#31]
I love my FNS 9c.  

Ambi controls, offered with or w/o a thumb safety.  Comes with 3 mags, one flush, one pinky, one extended 17rnd with sleeve.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah I voted M&P out of your list OP but... I'd rather have a P-01 or an SP-01 for the HD duty. I carry a P-01 every day concealed and it's fantastic. Throw a TLR or Surefire on it and it's a superb HD weapon with high capacity, reliability, and accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#33]
G26.  I freaking love mine.  Carries nice and I put it in my dresser at night, still in the holster for Home Defense.  For me it's a do it all gun.  I swear it shoots nearly as accurate at distance as any full sized gun I  have.  Maybe not QUITE as good as my M9, but close.  It's easy to shoot fast, one handed, etc etc.  I don't know why I ever waited so long to ever try one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
G26.  I freaking love mine.  Carries nice and I put it in my dresser at night, still in the holster for Home Defense.  For me it's a do it all gun.  I swear it shoots nearly as accurate at distance as any full sized gun I  have.  Maybe not QUITE as good as my M9, but close.  It's easy to shoot fast, one handed, etc etc.  I don't know why I ever waited so long to ever try one.
View Quote

Only problem for me is that a HD gun needs a wml. Much moreso than a ccw.

Does a company make a light for a g26? I thought one did.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#35]
SIG P320
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I carried a G27 for (5) years before I switched to an M&P40c for another (5) years. Nothing but a Streamlight TLR-3 really fits on the G27 very well and even then it wasn't a good fit. YMMV.
But I switched both of them out for a P-01 that I've carried happily since January. The holster selection is just as important as the gun IMO. I use a Comp-Tac Minotaur leather/kydex hybrid. I've never been called out for carrying a pistol in Khaki's, dress slacks, jeans, or even in athletic-football styled Under Armour shorts & pants.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the Streamlight TLR-6 works for it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That will do it. I want to get one for my kahr

Any other models attach like that?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm stuck in 1990something.  Just a hand held Surefire.   One handed shooting with the G26 is nice.  But I get it, not necessarily as good as a WML, hand free for stuff, etc.  I did learn how to wrap the attached chord around my thumb so I can let it drop and do stuff.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:03:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Tools are made for a specific job. Select a pistol optimized for carry, select a different pistol optimized for home defense use.

For 9mm G26/G17, adjust to taste. You could even go with a carbine for home defense. Trust me, you will be much more happy this way and carry a lot more.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:57:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reasons why not?

Glock 19 with a 30 round mag jammed in it's keister is as formidable handgun as I've seen.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:34:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Of your choices... G19 all day long

None of the other "compact" options are very appealing

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:12:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Reasons why not?

Glock 19 with a 30 round mag jammed in it's keister is as formidable handgun as I've seen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reasons why not?

+1.  It has all the bennies without the restrictions of a full size handgun
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:32:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#45]
For both, M&P

For SD, G19
For HD, The biggest you are comfortable with that has the highest capacity.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
HK VP9
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That some amazing engineering!

I wonder how they get the benefits of extra velocity and longer sight radius while keeping the bbl and slide shorter than the 17/34/17L models.

Amazing, I say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reasons why not?

+1.  It has all the bennies without the restrictions of a full size handgun

That some amazing engineering!

I wonder how they get the benefits of extra velocity and longer sight radius while keeping the bbl and slide shorter than the 17/34/17L models.

Amazing, I say.

HD and SD situations are usually 20' and under.  How much extra velocity and sight radius do you need?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#48]

HD and SD situations are usually 20' and under.  How much extra velocity and sight radius do you need?

He was being literal.  Because we know Glock proponents never exaggerate anything.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Whatever you can accurately shoot with. No one cares what the bullet came out of when they are shot. As long as YOU can hit what you are aiming at, that is all that matters. That's my $0.02.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top