BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think the G19 I tried was a Gen 3.  It was just a year or so ago at a gunshow, new in box gun.  The G17 was a well used Gen 2.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to be a Glock guy, but I can't get over the mag release.  I'll avoid brands to avert a war, but with my current pistol, I can drop the magazine without having to alter the position of the gun at all.  The only way I can drop a mag on a Glock is to roll my hand around the grip some so my thumb can reach.  I don't like having to shift my grip like that.  Any remedies for this?  And yes, I've handled a G19 at a gunshow and tested this.  Owned a G17 previously and it was just too big and clunky.

Have you tried the Gen3 or the Gen4?

I think the G19 I tried was a Gen 3.  It was just a year or so ago at a gunshow, new in box gun.  The G17 was a well used Gen 2.

I could never get used to gen 2 or gen 3. Had them sold them several times over.

The slightly smaller grip size, wider mag release and better texture makes a HUGE difference for me and I like them now, gen 4 is different enough you have to try one.
The size difference effects the very important trigger reach and mag release reach and having a firmer grip for my hand/finger size.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I tried a 17 and a 19 yesterday. Honestly, I just don't see the allure. They were both ok. Not a 1911 for sure, but I didn't expect it to be.  Theres a seat for every ass. The 19 is almost identical in size to my LW Champion Operator. I might buy one or a 43 if it was a great deal. For now I will just stay with 1911.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I too, like the 17 more.

If they have the M&P 9c, give that one a few rounds as well.

Between the 19 and the M&P 9c, I'll take the M&P, hands down.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:05:59 PM EDT
[#4]
G17 is better IMO as an owner of both.

G43 gets carried and the G17 shot at the range....19 lives in the safe.

I did jump on the PSA VP9 deal so we shall see where it falls in the mix. I've been wanting a G17 frame/19 slide combo size gun for a while.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Well, I tried a 17 and a 19 yesterday. Honestly, I just don't see the allure. They were both ok. Not a 1911 for sure, but I didn't expect it to be.  Theres a seat for every ass. The 19 is almost identical in size to my LW Champion Operator. I might buy one or a 43 if it was a great deal. For now I will just stay with 1911.
View Quote
Comparing a Glock to a 1911 is well,,,,,,,you figured it out.
If you have the funds, use it and abuse it. They are reliable as an anvil, accurate enough and just work. I carried one every day, rarely cleaned it, sweat on it a lot, and forgot about it more often than not.

Not my favorite in the whole wide world of pistols, but I never had any question in my mind that it would work, regardless of conditions, and save my life if needed.

If you just want to check out a striker fired, look at the FNS, or M&P lines. A friend that is a firearms instructor for the local SO, said these 3 are the ones that never once have given a problem during qualifications.

YMMV

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:29:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Try a 17 too.   Night and day difference for me.  I like a fullsize.
View Quote

Same here, for some reason I shoot the 17 much better than the 19
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:31:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
RTF2 or bust

<a href="http://s451.photobucket.com/user/jcmendez2005/media/6E5B43CE-CBEE-497C-AB01-5AD945F1F5BD_zpspfohx34p.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq233/jcmendez2005/6E5B43CE-CBEE-497C-AB01-5AD945F1F5BD_zpspfohx34p.jpg</a>
View Quote

I'll second that motion....

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Did try the 17 and yes I did like it better than the 19. For some reason, that day, I took my 3 1911s, tried the 17 and 19, and shot left with everything but the 19. I'm not a super shot by any means, but I can usually stay at least pretty center at 7 yards. As I said, I would and may buy a 19 or a 43 if the deal was great. I guess everyone should own at least one. Grip angle of course is different, but for a casual shooter like me, didn't make any difference in my shooting.

I did notice the magazines in both guns felt very loose. Is that characteristic? Not used to that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Did try the 17 and yes I did like it better than the 19. For some reason, that day, I took my 3 1911s, tried the 17 and 19, and shot left with everything but the 19. I'm not a super shot by any means, but I can usually stay at least pretty center at 7 yards. As I said, I would and may buy a 19 or a 43 if the deal was great. I guess everyone should own at least one. Grip angle of course is different, but for a casual shooter like me, didn't make any difference in my shooting.

I did notice the magazines in both guns felt very loose. Is that characteristic? Not used to that.
View Quote

Become a GSSF member and you can then buy a G19/17 for $425.  

My G19 has a grip reduction and stippling done because the std. grip drives me crazy.  BUT on my G17 (gen3) that I don't carry concealed I put on a Grip Force Adapter that eliminates the hump, and added an inexpensive magwell that really wedges the hand up into the tang of the grip - love holding that gun now.

Fwiw I have also been moving back into the 1911s - just love the platform and want to put more time and effort into shooting and working w/ it since it's much more of a commitment platform to me.  Looking to take a Vickers 1911 class some day...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top