Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2016 10:36:28 AM EDT
Does anyone know if you can swap/convert barrels in the SD line of S&W pistols?  I know that you can readily do this in the M&P series and it works really well, but a friend asked if you can drop a SD9VE 9mm barrel into an SD40VE to shoot 9mm ammo and I didn't know the answer.  Anybody have direct experience with this conversion?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#1]
More than likely no you cannot just drop the 9 barrel in a 40 it will require a conversion barrel.

Not much really exist as far as aftermarket support for that line of pistol so it may be hard to come by.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#2]
No you can't swap the barrels, the 40 is wider.

Smith and Wesson forums
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The barrels do not drop in, but complete slides do interchange on the frames.   SD40VE complete slides pop up all the time on Gunbroker.

I bought a SD9VE and then bought a complete SD40VE slide off Gunbroker and now I can swap them out.

The 9mm frame has spacer rails in the magwell so a .40 mag will have a very hard time forcing its way in there. I used a razor blade from a utility knife and a sharp chisel and cut the plastic spacer rails out of the magwell of my 9mm lower and now I can use both .40 and .9mm mags and slides. If you start with a .40 magwell you do not need to trim the spacers out.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No you can't swap the barrels, the 40 is wider.

Smith and Wesson forums
View Quote

This is the same in the M&P line, but you can use 9mm barrels in the 40 slide.  The barrel hood just doesn't have a tight fit.  40 in a 9mm doesn't work.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The barrels do not drop in, but complete slides do interchange on the frames.   SD40VE complete slides pop up all the time on Gunbroker.

I bought a SD9VE and then bought a complete SD40VE slide off Gunbroker and now I can swap them out.

The 9mm frame has spacer rails in the magwell so a .40 mag will have a very hard time forcing its way in there. I used a razor blade from a utility knife and a sharp chisel and cut the plastic spacer rails out of the magwell of my 9mm lower and now I can use both .40 and .9mm mags and slides. If you start with a .40 magwell you do not need to trim the spacers out.

View Quote

Thanks for the info on the frame/mag well.  Very good to know upfront
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top