Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2016 10:20:04 AM EDT
I CCW a Glock 42 IWB daily. I love it, great to carry and shoot. One of the reasons I chose this pistol for daily carry is the ability to IWB, as well as pocket carry if required (say if I'm just running in the store and dont want to strap on my IWB rig).

That being said, it still haunts me that its a .380. I'm fine with .380's for SD with good ammo, but a 9mm would condense calibers down to one for all of my handguns. I like the Glock platform as well, and think continuity between my HD gun and my CCW rig is a good thing.

I've had a CM9, however I just didnt like that the mags didnt fall free and I did have a few issues with it feeding certain types of ammo. I picked up a Sig P938 a few weeks ago, and like it, but $600 for a stinking CCW rig is nuts.

Maybe Sig P290? What other size 9mm rigs are similar in size to my G42? I'd like to still have the ability to pocket carry if need be, but it will be primarily an IWB rig.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not go with the Glock 43, the new 9mm that's almost exactly the same size as your G42?

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not go with the Glock 43, the new 9mm that's almost exactly the same size as your G42?

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Sig P938
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#4]
LC9S
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Glock 43 - maybe not quite as great for pocket carry, but really it is the same size./
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Glock 43.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
LC9S
View Quote

Great option.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I've fondled the Glock 43, it really isn't the same size. I don't care what the dimensions are, when you actually hold one in your hand its much larger and heavier. If I were going with a 43 I'd just go with a 26 to be honest.

I've heard the LC9S is pretty close in size.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#9]
How about a Nano.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
LC9S
View Quote

THIS

Go with the gun that has a better trigger and 1 more round than the G43.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:49:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Removed.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#12]
This has got to be the dumbest post I have seen. 43 is SO much bigger than a 42? Stop wearing skinny jeans and you should be all set.

Don't post inflammatory and insulting posts like this in the Handguns Discussion technical forum - Maynard
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This has got to be the dumbest post I have seen. 43 is SO much bigger than a 42? Stop wearing skinny jeans and you should be all set.
View Quote

Referring to your own post?  Lots of people who like the 42 don't like the 43.

Edited after seeing OPs reply.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#14]
If you already have the 938, and you like it, what is the issue?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Kahr PM9.

I carry a Glock 43. If I must go .380, I use a LCP.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you already have the 938, and you like it, what is the issue?
View Quote

When I say I picked one up, I literally meant I picked it up. I just fondled it, dont own one.

Anyone saying I'm stupid about saying the 43 is larger than the 42, maybe you've never fondled one side by side. I suggest you go do so before passing judgement on what I'm saying (or my jeans).
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#17]
What makes $600 crazy for a carry gun?  Are you worried about carry wear or losing it if you use it?

The LC9s is a good gun either way, so is the Shield and PPS.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I'm one of them I found out.  I thought I would like the 43 but its to big so I went with a 42. If I was wanting a single stack 9 I would go with a Shield.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

And I'm one of them I found out.  I thought I would like the 43 but its to big so I went with a 42. If I was wanting a single stack 9 I would go with a Shield.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Shield is bigger than the G43.

While the G43 is slightly bigger than the G42 on paper the reality is small differences in size make a big difference in feel.
Having said that the slight increase in size is worth it IMO.

If I'm carrying a .380 its for convenience and I want it LCP sized.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:54:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a 42 and a 43, there simply not THAT much difference in size and weight. I put +1 extensions [ on both calibers  ] and ''Underwood +P 90 gr. XTP for the 42,, not too bad for a ''pocket'' pistol.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Glock 43.
Basically the same gun, would be an easy switch.

If you are willing to go a little bit bigger, i'd say go with a M&P Shield.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:25:55 AM EDT
[#22]
I've got a P290RS if you want to try one. It is kind of heavy for the pocket of your trousers but works well in a jacket pocket. I have an IWB holster for it but it is hard to justify carrying it that when I have a Glock 26. I bought a Kahr P380 for trouser pocket carry as I think the Sig is a bit too heavy for that application. The Sig has good sights but be warned the trigger is like a DAO revolver. I also find it isn't as ergonomic as either the Glock or Kahr. My biggest grip is the "grit" that comes on the grips and the extension on the 8 round magazine. It rubs off and leaves a mess. Mine has be relegated to jacket pocket carry in the winter.  

Anyhow if you want to get together and shoot it just let me know. I'm near Quantico but could make an excuse to travel to the Eastern Shore, Williamsburg, or the Charlottesville area.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:04:56 PM EDT
[#23]
If the G43 is too big, then Kahr CM9.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:33:43 AM EDT
[#24]
My daughter just went through this. She chose the LC9s.  Together we put about 200 rounds through it.  Nice little pistol.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sig P938
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I know people may not like me suggesting this so take it with a grain of salt, but the keltec pf9 is probably about the size of the 42.  Maybe im just lucky but I havnt really had any issues with mine.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Check out the Kahr PM9, same height and width of the Glock 43 but about a half inch shorter in length. Certainly a pocketable handgun in normal shorts and could do the back pocket in jeans.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#28]
If you want an inexpensive, small, light 9mm, check out the Diamondback DB9.  When researching it, ignore the posts about the DB380.  That is a different pistol, and had a lot of problems.  The DB9 is fine as long as it is carried lots/shot little (high round count guns tend to break down).  
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Just my experiences.     I do not mean to offend anyone.

I have carried for a long time, going back to the 80's.    Back then,  AMT's 380 Backp was popular.    I still have 2 in the safe.   Those things weighed 18 ounces and pounded your hand.   (I can shoot magnum revolvers just fine.)   Its competition was Walther and Bersa 380s.   Today, we have 9mm pistols lighter and  smaller than those 380s.

Today, I have 3 Kel Tec P3ATs in 380 and 3 Ruger LCPs.   These 380s are tiny and light.   They are much smaller than my Kahr PM9.      To me, it seems that even the smallest 9mms are noticeably biggeervand heavier than the tiny 380s.  

I am not a bigger guy.    Clothes for a guy 6'3" and 275# are very different than those for a guy 5'7" and  150-170#    The pockets are very different in size.    For me,  sticking one of my G27s or the PM9 into a back pocket is not easy.  

I do think the G42 and G43 are both great guns.   The G42 is a real pleasure to shoot.      However, both are bigger than what already have.    Still, that G42 is a great shooter.  

I have guns for different roles.    I have some for the back pocket,  bail out bag,  vest/coat pockets, and for carrying on the waist.       Some people like one gun for everything.   Many people love the G19/23.    I am the opposite.    I prefer more guns, each for a focused purpose.    It is different taste for different people.

A big point for the G42 and G43 are that they are Glocks.    Not only are they good, but they have that same design as the other half dozen or more Glocks that most of us have.   Familiarity goes a long way.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#30]
The Glock 42 is a cute gun.  I carry the 43...which I also think is cute.  lol  The 43 does feel a little bit bigger than the 42, but I prefer it over the M&P Shield, LCP, or others.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 3:39:00 PM EDT
[#31]

A big point for the G42 and G43 are that they are Glocks.    Not only are they good, but they have that same design as the other half dozen or more Glocks that most of us have.   Familiarity goes a long way.  

View Quote

I agree with this.  The guns that we run are all the same platform (Glock), so everything is the same.  Even the ammo (9mm).  I have others, but we run our Glocks hard, so that is what we carry.  And we can use each other's guns with the same efficiency.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top