Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2016 7:30:14 PM EDT
So I picked up a bodyguard for pocket carry. Love the gun for what it is. But in around 100 rds fired I have had at least 10 ftf malfunctions! All with the same mag and no problems with the flush mag. So I thought must be a crap mag. Well today I finally bought some defensive rounds. Critical defense .380. I used the flush fit mag which hasn't given me any trouble. And out of 25 rd box I had one stove pipe on the last round of the box!
  So now I'm kind of regretting my purchase. I guess I'll buy another couple boxes of ammo and see if it continues.
What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quit now.

Mine made three trips back, virtually every part was replaced except the plastic shell, never worked, cost me 600 rounds of .380. And really pizzed me off.

I never got my wasted test ammo back.  Cost more than the gun.

Get a Ruger LCP Custom. They work.  The one with the big sights.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:42:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quit now.

Mine made three trips back, virtually every part was replaced except the plastic shell, never worked, cost me 600 rounds of .380. And really pizzed me off.

View Quote

Yeah.  Quit now.  The BG i had was problematic.  Glad it's gone.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:09:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Got rid of mine early on. Sig P238 is the answer. Cry once!
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:09:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quit now.

View Quote

And the red aluminum trigger.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 1:37:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Crap. I really wanted to like this thing. I actually held the ruger and thought the Bg would be better. Guess I was wrong.
Thanks for the replies!
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:23:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Love my bodyguard.  Never a problem except the mag release which smith replaced.  Mine is a pre MP  model.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:55:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I have two and they run great.   I'd at least send it (and the mags, marked) back once to see if that S&W folks spot anything.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:51:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Have over 400 rounds thru my bg both ball and hp and reloads with no problems it works fine.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I got my M&P BG just about a year ago.  Have about 375ish rounds through it.  So far, no complaints.  I had one box of ammo (blanking on the brand) that seemed to have hard primers.  A few rounds needed two hits.  I believe it was the ammo, not the gun, so I call it totally reliable.  Have 3-4 mags and none of them have issues.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Crap. I really wanted to like this thing. I actually held the ruger and thought the Bg would be better. Guess I was wrong.
Thanks for the replies!
View Quote

I hear S&W has great CS
Get in touch with them and see what they advise you to do.

When explaining your problem stick to the facts and try to be specific with the problem you’re experiencing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:28:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I hear S&W has great CS

When explaining your problem stick to the facts and try to be specific with the problem you’re experiencing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the replies!

I hear S&W has great CS

This. I just sent one in. Very fast turn around and no questions asked really. They replaced the slide, barrel, laser and mag catch. Out of town and haven't had a chance to shoot it. Will report back on the 13th to let you know if it runs.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:32:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I say send it back in and give em a chance to look it over. Ive had my BodyGuard for a little over a year, and haven't had a single malfunction out of it. More than 500rds through the gun so far, reloads and defense ammo as well. I have 5 factory mags, and practice with the gun every range session as a finisher so I stay used to shooting a gun so small(also my only DA carry gun). I occasionally pocket carry, and also carry it IWB in a tiny holster.

I will admit that ive had issues with the slide not locking back on empty, sometimes even when racking the slide back on an empty magazines. I figured out that the mags were just so dirty the followers were sticking and wouldn't catch all the time. After taking them apart and cleaning them up they worked 100% again.  

Not defending S&W, as I know they have had issues with the BG. Just letting you know that some of them run, and run very well and accurate.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:12:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the replies. It is a very accurate little gun I hope it gets figured out.  I emailed the company. In the mean time I think I'll try a dif type of ammo and run another 50-100 rds through it just to see.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:17:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Sell it and buy a LCP.. my first gen has never had a single malfunction. Ok it had 1, but that was due to some Tula ammo that some how, and hell if I know how, the case was to long? It wouldn't go into battery. I can't blame that on the pistol. It has fired everything else I have ever put though it.

ETA: And I didn't have to do any BS break in crap. I think very little of any pistol I have to "break in" to get it to run correctly. It SHOULD run right out of the box. I will say, it will get very light surface rust though if I ISWB carry and sweat a lot. But it's nothing that a little CLP and some rubbing wont remove.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:26:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Well I picked up 100 rds of Remington jhp. Shot the entire box without a single malfunction!!! Very accurate too!
So do you think it was possible the gun just didn't like that fiochii ammo that I originally bought?
I guess I'll buy another 100rds of the Remington and if no malfunctions I'll call er good. What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:34:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well I picked up 100 rds of Remington jhp. Shot the entire box without a single malfunction!!! Very accurate too!
So do you think it was possible the gun just didn't like that fiochii ammo that I originally bought?
I guess I'll buy another 100rds of the Remington and if no malfunctions I'll call er good. What do you guys think?
View Quote

Perfectly possible. Do you have access to a caliber and chronograph to compare the cartridges? Also pay attention to your magazine(s). Just in general, mag's are a high failure/problem inducing point. Though, I was under the impression in general Remington ammo was, to put it kindly, conservative on there loadings. *shrug*
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes I do have a chrono I'm sure the Remington's are light lol. I don't have any of the fiochii left over to test though.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#18]
If your gun doesn't like Fiocchi it wouldn't be the first.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2011/07/great-380-fmj-jhp-ammo-test-results.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top