Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go with a 9mm Range Officer with a trigger job and match grade bushing fitted by a good 1911 smith.  A CZ or Tanfo would be good choices as well.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
based on everyone's recommendations, I narrowed it down to 2 choices at below:

1 - Springfield Range Officer 9mm w/ stainless steel finish and fiber optic front - Lowest price I found was $820
2 - Springfield Range Officer 9mm w/ Parkerized finish w/ black front sight  - Lowest price I found was $695

Which one should I get?
Any parts that I need to change in order to improve the accuracy & overall performance?

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-range-officer-9mm/

View Quote

I'd get the parked version.  Don't like stainless slides. (glare)  I'd also change out the front sight to an undercut or patridge style.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Going back to CZ-75B  SA

http://cdn.cz-usa.com/hammer/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/cz-usa-cz-75-b-sa1-500x334.png

Street price is just under $600 and you can add a fiber optic front from CZ Custom for $35.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It has to be under $1K...

Going back to CZ-75B  SA

http://cdn.cz-usa.com/hammer/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/cz-usa-cz-75-b-sa1-500x334.png

Street price is just under $600 and you can add a fiber optic front from CZ Custom for $35.

Was going to suggest this one as well. I have one with a fiber optic front sight & a CZ Custom trigger job. Thing is incredible!  
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#4]
For what its worth one of the most accurate pistols I ever used was a HK P7 PSP with its fixed barrel.  Used to use that in bowling pin comps in Germany in the late 80s, even against CAG guys with their 1911s when they visited.

CD
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:47:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
SERIOUSLY????

We're talking 9mm bullseye pistols and NOT ONE person mentions the pistol that holds all the US Bullseye records in 9mm???

Beretta 92FS/M9...HELLO!!!
View Quote

Does it really??? I had no idea. Very interesting!
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SERIOUSLY????

We're talking 9mm bullseye pistols and NOT ONE person mentions the pistol that holds all the US Bullseye records in 9mm???

Anything used by the USAMU and made by their gunsmiths will likely hold the record.

I have two match Berettas. I still wound up with a 1911 in 9mm. The Beretta triggers didn't make weight at Quantico. So, I went with the 1911. Tweaking a 1911 is much easier than tweaking a Beretta.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

+1 here.

Many people are very successful with a Drop in match barrel, and Beretta Adjustable rear site to start and then add other things as well. If you start with a Brigadier it can take front and rear sites.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/eaglecp/Mobile%20Uploads/20160128_164912_zps4j4dsanm.jpg

cp
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SERIOUSLY????

Buy the basic pistol and it shoot VERY well right out of the box.  Add a custom barrel, barrel bushing, sights and a trigger job and you're set for ANY level of competition.

+1 here.

Many people are very successful with a Drop in match barrel, and Beretta Adjustable rear site to start and then add other things as well. If you start with a Brigadier it can take front and rear sites.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/eaglecp/Mobile%20Uploads/20160128_164912_zps4j4dsanm.jpg

cp

Had some request for additional photos of Bushing and front site. So here they are.

cp

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 10:06:01 PM EDT
[#8]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
SERIOUSLY????

Buy the basic pistol and it shoot VERY well right out of the box.  Add a custom barrel, barrel bushing, sights and a trigger job and you're set for ANY level of competition.

+1 here.

cp

Had some request for additional photos of Bushing and front site. So here they are.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/eaglecp/Mobile%20Uploads/20160201_093009_zpsjwwtpodo.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/eaglecp/Mobile%20Uploads/20160201_095015_zpsutvmcywl.jpg

cp

That's a pretty interesting way to do a bushing.  I've seen like five different ways of doing in on the 92.  It appears it's actually not that hard to accurize... *ahem* OP
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Use a .45 ACP and semiwaddcutters.
Against a defined target you want the biggest holes you can make.

The edge of the hole decides the score.
Bigger holes are an advantage.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I would look at a Rock Island 9mm 1911 and have a ramped match barrel fit by a good pistolsmith.  That should be well under $1000.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I own a couple of springfield ro's 1 in 9mm, the other in 45acp.

" />

The 45acp is box stock except for the progressive spring I put in it so I can shoot anything from target loads to p+' I use 3.8gr of bullseye and the h&g #68 swc clone (custom bullet mold/mihec) for a target load. 10-shot group @ 50ft.

" />

The 9mm is box stock except for the #10 spring I put in it so the 1911 will cycle with light target loads. A 10-shot group @ 50ft in the 9mm ro using a custom bullet (mihec 125gr hp's) and 5.0gr of winchester wst. The squares in both target pictures a 1 inch.

" />

Either of those 1911's would get you started in bullseye shooting.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#12]
NOT a bullseye target and group size is secondary.
Bullseye is a score game.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes - but all things being equal you want a gun that can hold the ten ring reliably.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

If a competitor doubts his equipment, he will have a hard time being successful because he never knows if he is the weak link.

I've had guns I could outshoot at 50 yards. That removes a lot of the fun.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
CZ SP-01 Shadow or really almost any version of a CZ Shadow.
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good answer!!! Glad to see that you can distinguish the difference between testing for a bullseye load and applying that load on bullseye targets.

Why do bullseye shooters use such things as ransom rests to test ammo???
Do the bullseye shooters that test their ammo in ransom rests use only BULLSEYE targets?????
Will the ammo tests in ransom rests be different/.wrong if the tester doen't use a "BULLSEYE TARGET"????
What happens when a bullseye shooter uses the "WRONG" bullseye target when they test their ammo in a ransom rest?????
Just which "BULLSEYE" target is the correct one to use when testing @50ft, the B-2 with a .9" 10-ring or the B-3 with the 1.80" 10-ring when using a ransom rest???
Why don't they have "USE ONLY  BULLSEYE TARGETS WHEN USING REST" in the directions for the ransom rests????

Thank you for opening my eyes!!! Been doing it wrong for years, who wodda thunk???

"group size is secondary in bullseye shooting"

" />

And no I didn't use a ransom rest to shoot those groups.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#17]
To the op, I highly recommend you test your loads to find a bullseye load that can hold the 10-ring on the target your using. Anything less is useless!!! When you shoot a 8 or a 9, how would you know if it was you or the ammo?

I like to use the targets with flat squares when testing ammo with iron sights. It wasn't my idea, their was this guy named Keith, he was supposed to be pretty good with a pistol. He designed a couple of bullets and a couple of different calibers for gun mfg's. Maybe you've herd of him???

Well this guy named keith designed these targets to test the bullets/loads/calibers he was working on. I like to use his 100yd targets.

" />

That 100yd keith target has a 8" black square and the center white square is 4".

Why white center/black outer, the opposite of bulleye targets??? Why square instead of round that is used in bullseye targets??? Because it's easier to line a flat front sight up to a flat line. The white center give you the option to choose which contrast is the clearest to your eyes for the conditions of that day. You can either line up with the top of the sight touching the black or run the site up the black until it cuts/touches the white.

They have a saying in the bullseye community. "Sun up, sights up. Sun down, sights down".

I usually use those targets pictured above when I test loads @ 50ft. That 45acp test load was done from a sitting position using a rest @50ft. The 9mm load was also tested @50ft using a sitting position and a rest. The difference between the 45acp and the 9mm is that I scoped the 9mm. I want to do test loads @50yds with the 9mm and my eyes just aren't good enough to test loads that far away anymore. So instead of putting up a "bullseye" target or a real target to test ammo I opted to scope the 1911 9mm.

" />

What I'm interested in shooting/using @ the 50yd line in that 1911/9mm is a 150gr hollow based flat round nosed bullet. A test group shot in a contender 9mm bbl testing the accuracy of the bullet.

" />

I've also just started testing 110gr/1200fps wad cutters for 50yd accuracy. People have had excellent results with 148gr wc's/38spl 1911's.

Why not a 110gr wc 9mm???

Anyway, the ro's bring allot to the table for the $$$$.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
To the op, I highly recommend you test your loads to find a bullseye load that can hold the 10-ring on the target your using. Anything less is useless!!! When you shoot a 8 or a 9, how would you know if it was you or the ammo?

I like to use the targets with flat squares when testing ammo with iron sights. It wasn't my idea, their was this guy named Keith, he was supposed to be pretty good with a pistol. He designed a couple of bullets and a couple of different calibers for gun mfg's. Maybe you've herd of him???

Well this guy named keith designed these targets to test the bullets/loads/calibers he was working on. I like to use his 100yd targets.

http://<a href=http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/100yd%20keithpistoltarget_zpskjzhueqd.jpg</a>" />

That 100yd keith target has a 8" black square and the center white square is 4".

Why white center/black outer, the opposite of bulleye targets??? Why square instead of round that is used in bullseye targets??? Because it's easier to line a flat front sight up to a flat line. The white center give you the option to choose which contrast is the clearest to your eyes for the conditions of that day. You can either line up with the top of the sight touching the black or run the site up the black until it cuts/touches the white.

They have a saying in the bullseye community. "Sun up, sights up. Sun down, sights down".

I usually use those targets pictured above when I test loads @ 50ft. That 45acp test load was done from a sitting position using a rest @50ft. The 9mm load was also tested @50ft using a sitting position and a rest. The difference between the 45acp and the 9mm is that I scoped the 9mm. I want to do test loads @50yds with the 9mm and my eyes just aren't good enough to test loads that far away anymore. So instead of putting up a "bullseye" target or a real target to test ammo I opted to scope the 1911 9mm.

http://<a href=http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/scoped9mm_zps8ubdhziy.jpg</a>" />

What I'm interested in shooting/using @ the 50yd line in that 1911/9mm is a 150gr hollow based flat round nosed bullet. A test group shot in a contender 9mm bbl testing the accuracy of the bullet.

http://<a href=http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/358709mm_zps9110adbe.jpg</a>" />

I've also just started testing 110gr/1200fps wad cutters for 50yd accuracy. People have had excellent results with 148gr wc's/38spl 1911's.

Why not a 110gr wc 9mm???

Anyway, the ro's bring allot to the table for the $$$$.  

View Quote

What mount is that?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#19]
That's a lyman 35870 hollow base mold. I make my own hb pins and that bullet has a custom pin design that keeps that beefed up the hb walls.It actually ways 155gr. I just call it 150gr  because that is what the weight of the 35870 is supposed to be.

I have several hollow base molds (11 of them for 32cal's/35cal's/41cal's/44cal's/45cal's) and test/make different hb pins looking for accuracy in different cartridges.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:07:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I had Glock 34 but just can't get used to that grip and trigger.

View Quote

Does that mean you plan on selling the 34?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:04:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Sig P210
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Good answer!!! Glad to see that you can distinguish the difference between testing for a bullseye load and applying that load on bullseye targets.

Do the bullseye shooters that test their ammo in ransom rests use only BULLSEYE targets?????
Will the ammo tests in ransom rests be different/.wrong if the tester doen't use a "BULLSEYE TARGET"????
What happens when a bullseye shooter uses the "WRONG" bullseye target when they test their ammo in a ransom rest?????
Just which "BULLSEYE" target is the correct one to use when testing @50ft, the B-2 with a .9" 10-ring or the B-3 with the 1.80" 10-ring when using a ransom rest???
Why don't they have "USE ONLY  BULLSEYE TARGETS WHEN USING REST" in the directions for the ransom rests????

Thank you for opening my eyes!!! Been doing it wrong for years, who wodda thunk???

http://<a href=http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/bsmeter_zps47bb7171.gif</a>" />

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/bsmeter_zps47bb7171.gif</a>" />

All the things you mention are to evaluate guns before they are used on a bullseye target.

I did it for 35+ years till disability made me no longer competitive.
Nerves that no longer work are a real problem.

Of course you practiced against square block targets all that time.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a Springfield Range Officer. It's accurate enough for informal bullseye and is easily upgradable if you want 2" groups at 50 yards. A stock Sig P226 or P229 is also plenty accurate for what you're going to shoot. The CZ is also a good choice.  I have a CZ 75 and it holds it's own with any of the above pistols.
View Quote

Just bought a Springer RO in 9mm myself.  It won't shoot 2" at 25 yds with my 115gr reloads, my Walther PPQ does come pretty close though.  Do tell what "upgrades" I need to get the Springer to shoot 2" at 50.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Tanfoglio witness elite match
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#25]

CZ hands down.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Just bought a Springer RO in 9mm myself.  It won't shoot 2" at 25 yds with my 115gr reloads, my Walther PPQ does come pretty close though.  Do tell what "upgrades" I need to get the Springer to shoot 2" at 50.  Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a Springfield Range Officer. It's accurate enough for informal bullseye and is easily upgradable if you want 2" groups at 50 yards. A stock Sig P226 or P229 is also plenty accurate for what you're going to shoot. The CZ is also a good choice.  I have a CZ 75 and it holds it's own with any of the above pistols.

With a 45, it would be just a bushing normally.

Most super accurate 9mms being built now have a KKM 1:32 twist barrel. I had one put in a Springer, and it's awesome.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Already sold it.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had Glock 34 but just can't get used to that grip and trigger.

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 1:25:32 AM EDT
[#28]
"The pistol needed to be at below $1K w/ good trigger and preferably w/ fiber sight."

Grand Power X-Calibur is what you seek.... The only difference is it has a 'great' trigger.

"

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top