Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/28/2015 8:34:06 AM EDT
Is the FBI going with the Sig P 320 in 9mm ? Its a package that fits what they want, also I hear good reports on the P 320
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Since they just started the process I would think it will be well into next year until they finish testing.  They have to get the guns from the manufactures, conduct the evaluation and then make a selection.  I think the 320 is a strong contender.  Also the FNS looks like it meets most of the requirements.  Who knows maybe Glock will mold a gen 4 frame without finger gooves and submit a weapon.  For a multi million dollar contract you never know what manufactures will step up to.  David
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I just read some more info on it sounds like you are right.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe the FBI will have any easier time buying spare mags than the rest of us.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...maybe Glock will mold a gen 4 frame without finger gooves and submit a weapon...
View Quote

Seems like it would be crazy easy for them to do this. I expect they will. I don't think it would need to actually be a Gen5 unless they make more changes than just that. There could easily be a run of 17/19 Gen4 guns with no finger grooves.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Not a chance in hell.

They are basically an all Glock organization. 9mm transition is on hold because HQ doesn't want to waste taxpayer money replacing perfectly functioning .40s with 9mms, which is essentially the reverse of what happened when they moved from Glock to Sig.

They would have to retrain all the armorers, dump millions of dollars in parts and mags, etc. Not to mention there isn't a world in which HRT and the SWAT program moves away from Glocks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not a chance in hell.

They are basically an all Glock organization. 9mm transition is on hold because HQ doesn't want to waste taxpayer money replacing perfectly functioning .40s with 9mms, which is essentially the reverse of what happened when they moved from Glock to Sig.

They would have to retrain all the armorers, dump millions of dollars in parts and mags, etc. Not to mention there isn't a world in which HRT and the SWAT program moves away from Glocks.
View Quote

I wish this was the case but you know how are govt waste money.  FBI concluded no advantage in caliber so why change or why not start doing X number of change overs and spread it out over a decade.  Or only change over one branch at a time.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#7]
This is the RFP from the FBI if you want to read it.

Here are some thoughts I had after reading it.
The magazine catch shall be activated by depressing the catch with a lateral movement by the shooter’s thumb/finger.
It is not allowable to have a magazine catch which is activated by a downward movement.
View Quote
Excludes the HK....specifically.
Firing pin/Striker fired only.
View Quote
Excludes all of the Sigs except the P320.
GRIP SAFETY
None allowed.
View Quote
Springfield XD is out.
FRAME/RECEIVER
Frames which allow for different hand sizes are required. Regardless of how each Contractor accommodates different hand sizes they must be able to support at least 3 sizes commonly referred to as small, medium and large.

Two acceptable methods of accommodating for different hand sizes are:
Multiple Frame Sizes
Two alternate sizes must be available and supplied with each pistol.

Grip/Frame Inserts
View Quote
Sig would have to ship EACH pistol with three whole frames?  Inserts would have the advantage in cost.
Slide must fully cover the barrel (with the exception of the chamber portion of the barrel) allowing for no more than 0.25” of the muzzle to be exposed
View Quote
Beretta's M9 is out.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Exactly. The RFP was absolutely written for Glock, and to try to get them to make some minor changes along the way.

G17 is already approved and issued in small numbers (poor shooters, HRT, SWAT). The RFP could go nowhere and you could still see a total conversion to G19 and G17.

Again, to reiterate, word passing around federal agencies (including .mil) is that the whole conversion is DRT, because none of the idiots running their firearms unit bothered to get HQ approval of the upteen millions it would cost to reissue new weapons to every swinging dick. Apparently there are actually people in that agency (at the top) who care about how they spend taxpayer money, and, just possibly, think that this isn't the best political timing to focus media attention on a new firearms platform and the "best" caliber for dropping bad guys.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Great just when I thought I knew what my next pistol was going to be I see the 320.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Exactly. The RFP was absolutely written for Glock, and to try to get them to make some minor changes along the way.

G17 is already approved and issued in small numbers (poor shooters, HRT, SWAT). The RFP could go nowhere and you could still see a total conversion to G19 and G17.

Again, to reiterate, word passing around federal agencies (including .mil) is that the whole conversion is DRT, because none of the idiots running their firearms unit bothered to get HQ approval of the upteen millions it would cost to reissue new weapons to every swinging dick. Apparently there are actually people in that agency (at the top) who care about how they spend taxpayer money, and, just possibly, think that this isn't the best political timing to focus media attention on a new firearms platform and the "best" caliber for dropping bad guys.
View Quote

The Glock contract  is from 1998.  Guns wear out just like any thing else and need replaced.  Spending money on replacement equipment is not an issue.  Remember this will be a multi year contract to buy new guns when the old ones are removed from service.  Before Glock the FBI was an all Sig Agency.  Nothing is certain until a contract is awarded.  David
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just got 3 more today too, another SC and 2 fullsize mags.

It sucks for you cali guys with them not offering 10 round subcompact mags from the factory.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I hope they stick with Glock because that SIG320 has a silly high bore line compared to a Glock, Ruger, or M&P.  The rocking motion the extra hieght induces does nothing to help speed or recoil recovery.  Same silly system design other SIGs used in the past that made my P220 miserable to shoot more than 1-200 rounds at a time and made a P226 slower than necessary.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope they stick with Glock because that SIG320 has a silly high bore line compared to a Glock, Ruger, or M&P.  The rocking motion the extra hieght induces does nothing to help speed or recoil recovery.  Same silly system design other SIGs used in the past that made my P220 miserable to shoot more than 1-200 rounds at a time and made a P226 slower than necessary.

I typed and deleted a response to the typical "high bore axis"... I guess pointing and laughing is actually an easier and just as effective response.

I like your style  
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I typed and deleted a response to the typical "high bore axis"... I guess pointing and laughing is actually an easier and just as effective response.

I like your style  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like your style  

Logic and well explained responses fail to fix some peoples wrong opinions, so I choose to laugh as well.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Logic and well explained responses fail to fix some peoples wrong opinions, so I choose to laugh as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like your style  

But....but....the internet says it's true!  
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Good jokes are always fun.  

But what wasn't fun was shooting a P220 3-400 times in a morning and wishing you had never seen the thing even though it was light to carry and usually worked.  Worked 100% unless the guys at Federal loaded the 230 Hydra Shoks a few thousanths short. Then the top round of 8+1 always nose dived when you fired the first shot.

Which meant that if the test box worked in each new case, you hid the case from anyone else.  If it didn't work, Federal replaced the case.  None of which accounted for my frame breaking and being replaced at a few thousand rounds.

The high bore line SIGs today are probably well made but are an ancient '70's design that realy needs a bore line lowering.  Just look at the pictures above of the plastic guns.  Same design as the aluminum ones.  Just made outta plastic.

One of each line. Post less, shoot more, report accurately.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#20]
In 2015 I've shot a little bit...

Total Pistol rds: 4,917 rds +

Total Rifle rds: 1,226 rds

Total Shotgun rds: 290

Total .22lr: 417 (mostly with the kids)

Mostly Sig's, a Glock 23 (buddies in 9mm and 40), 1911's...

I sand bagged a few months here and there as well... but all rounds were shot in a training fashion

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1748304_The_Official_Drill_of_the_Week___LAV_s_Delta_Standard__The_Test_open_11_26___12_6.html

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#21]
No worries, its fine to like different things.  Everybody has their own preferences.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#22]
No, they're not.

50/50 GLOCK comes out with a gen5, which is adopted, or they drop the entire thing after spending millions on testing. I'm leaning toward the latter.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nothing wrong with Sig, if you like a gun that points like a hair dryer.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I personally don't care. My personal go to guns are Glocks in .40 S&W and my agency issues Glock.

I'm happy and not changing.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

<snip>

<snip>
View All Quotes
Quoted:

<snip>
FRAME/RECEIVER
Frames which allow for different hand sizes are required. Regardless of how each Contractor accommodates different hand sizes they must be able to support at least 3 sizes commonly referred to as small, medium and large.

Multiple Frame Sizes

Grip/Frame Inserts

<snip>

Massive waste of money.  2/3s will be wasted whether inserts or entire grip modules.  What's the DOJ Waste, Fraud , and Abuse Hotline number?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Sig has the 320 and it's generally pretty darned good.  Beretta has the APX (did I remember that right?) which is the Beretta version of the Sig 320 with all the modularity features, in what looks to be a bit better of a package.  S&W has said they will have a "next version" of the M&P that will meet the requirements of the US Army's Modular Handgun Competition.  Detonix has their modular/striker fired 1911-ish thing they've submitted to the Army, unknown if they'll submit to the FBI as well.  

The Army has flatly said no to the M9A3 and thus far they seem quite committed to the Modular Handgun concept; and I hope they stay committed.  I really think the modularity is the future of handguns in the world of CNC manufacturing and 3D printing.  Let's do this and see where it goes; ought to be really interesting.  

Glock has been pretty quiet on the Modular Handgun program, they never even submitted a pistol for pre-evaluation...don't know if they're going to go after it.  Kinda hard to imagine them passing up the opportunity.  

My bet is it will come down to Sig, S&W, and Beretta.  At this point, I wouldn't count any of them out.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Maybe Beretta's APX might sneak in.

Just from a visual standpoint, it looks a hell of a lot than the VP9 and P320. It looks more like a Glock which I like.

But right now it is possible vaporware. Anyone remember the Kimber KPD .40.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Finger Groves on the APX would need to be revised.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Beretta looks nice except the backplate, looks like something a blind guy put together.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

But what wasn't fun was shooting a P220 3-400 times in a morning and wishing you had never seen the thing even though it was light to carry and usually worked.  Worked 100% unless the guys at Federal loaded the 230 Hydra Shoks a few thousanths short. Then the top round of 8+1 always nose dived when you fired the first shot.

Which meant that if the test box worked in each new case, you hid the case from anyone else.  If it didn't work, Federal replaced the case. None of which accounted for my frame breaking and being replaced at a few thousand rounds.

The high bore line SIGs today are probably well made but are an ancient '70's design that realy needs a bore line lowering.  Just look at the pictures above of the plastic guns.  Same design as the aluminum ones.  Just made outta plastic.

View Quote

I have a Sig P220 on the way.  Does the .45 put more stress on the frame than the P series 9mm?
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:00:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Massive waste of money.  2/3s will be wasted whether inserts or entire grip modules.  What's the DOJ Waste, Fraud , and Abuse Hotline number?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>
FRAME/RECEIVER

Multiple Frame Sizes

Grip/Frame Inserts

<snip>

Actually, now that I'm reading that again I think I might have interpreted wrong.  They probably want all three grip inserts or frames for the test guns, NOT for all the guns supplied under the contract.  That makes more sense.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:21:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Finger Groves on the APX would need to be revised.
View Quote

Yep, I think Beretta asked about this in the second round of questions and it was confirmed that the APX's finger groves disqualify it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Ryann,

Not to worry today.  The mid 1990's issue was square holes in the frame above the trigger propagating cracks up to the frame rail.  They fixed it with radiused corners in the larger pin holes.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ryann,

Not to worry today.  The mid 1990's issue was square holes in the frame above the trigger propagating cracks up to the frame rail.  They fixed it with radiused corners in the larger pin holes.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s55.photobucket.com/user/zac_squatch/media/CEE6DF12-1438-4400-BD18-64AA8E79FC26_zpszg9ur9p6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g155/zac_squatch/CEE6DF12-1438-4400-BD18-64AA8E79FC26_zpszg9ur9p6.jpg</a>

It sucks for you cali guys with them not offering 10 round subcompact mags from the factory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s55.photobucket.com/user/zac_squatch/media/CEE6DF12-1438-4400-BD18-64AA8E79FC26_zpszg9ur9p6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g155/zac_squatch/CEE6DF12-1438-4400-BD18-64AA8E79FC26_zpszg9ur9p6.jpg</a>

Does this picture screw with anyone else's eyes? sweet pic, but ugh.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AGH! Blasphemy! Burn the heretic!

Seriously, I shoot my P228 better than any of my handguns with the slight exception of my 1911s.

BTW- That Beretta is FUGLY! I thought my VP9 was a bit of a mutant but that thing looks .
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Not sure why, but I kind of dig the APX's lines and curves.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://twobirdsflyingpub.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/1569526_-_main.jpg

http://vpstestgunscom.c.presscdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Beretta-APX-5.jpg

http://vpstestgunscom.c.presscdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Beretta-APX-4.jpg

http://vpstestgunscom.c.presscdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Beretta-APX-3.jpg

http://vpstestgunscom.c.presscdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Beretta-APX-1.jpg

http://www.armas.es/images/beretta-apx-2.jpg

http://gearscout.militarytimes.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/2015/02/APX-cal-40S-a.jpg

http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Beretta_APX_Polymer-Frame_Striker-Fired_Combat_Tactical_9mm_Pistol_for_US_Army_Modular_Handgun_System_MHS_Program_at_Beretta_Tactical_Summit_BTS_2015_4-01-15_David_Crane_DefenseReview.com_DR_2.jpg

http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Beretta_APX_Polymer-Frame_Striker-Fired_Combat_Tactical_9mm_Pistol_for_US_Army_Modular_Handgun_System_MHS_Program_at_Beretta_Tactical_Summit_BTS_2015_4-01-15_David_Crane_DefenseReview.com_DR_1.jpg

http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Beretta_APX_Polymer-Frame_Striker-Fired_Combat_Tactical_9mm_Pistol_for_US_Army_Modular_Handgun_System_MHS_Program_at_Beretta_Tactical_Summit_BTS_2015_4-01-15_David_Crane_DefenseReview.com_DR_3.jpg

http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Beretta_APX_Polymer-Frame_Striker-Fired_Combat_Tactical_9mm_Pistol_for_US_Army_Modular_Handgun_System_MHS_Program_at_Beretta_Tactical_Summit_BTS_2015_4-01-15_David_Crane_DefenseReview.com_DR_4.jpg

http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Beretta_APX_Polymer-Frame_Striker-Fired_Combat_Tactical_9mm_Pistol_for_US_Army_Modular_Handgun_System_MHS_Program_at_Beretta_Tactical_Summit_BTS_2015_4-01-15_David_Crane_DefenseReview.com_DR_7.jpg

http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Beretta_APX_Polymer-Frame_Striker-Fired_Combat_Tactical_9mm_Pistol_for_US_Army_Modular_Handgun_System_MHS_Program_at_Beretta_Tactical_Summit_BTS_2015_4-01-15_David_Crane_DefenseReview.com_DR_5.jpg

http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Beretta_APX_Polymer-Frame_Striker-Fired_Combat_Tactical_9mm_Pistol_for_US_Army_Modular_Handgun_System_MHS_Program_at_Beretta_Tactical_Summit_BTS_2015_4-01-15_David_Crane_DefenseReview.com_DR_8.jpg

Just from a visual standpoint, it looks a hell of a lot than the VP9 and P320. It looks more like a Glock which I like.

But right now it is possible vaporware. Anyone remember the Kimber KPD .40.

http://www.genitron.com/HandgunDB/DBImages/kimber-kdp.gif

http://www.handgunsmag.com/files/2010/09/shot06_kimber1.jpg
View Quote

Why does the frame look all misshapen and the slide looks like it is listing to one side of the frame?
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:12:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I picked up the 320 compact with nite sights about 2 weeks ago its been flawless just ran maybe 110 rounds today and 100 last week Tula, perfecta , Gold dot no problem . This 320 came packed with white grease of some kind looked like tetra maybe . I clean alot out before I used it but its still lubed good.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#41]
I picked up the 320 compact with nite sights about 2 weeks ago its been flawless just ran maybe 110 rounds today and 100 last week Tula, perfecta , Gold dot no problem . This 320 came packed with white grease of some kind looked like tetra maybe . I clean alot out before I used it but its still lubed good.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

TW25b

TW25b and Sig

GreyGuns Greasing Guidelines
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 10:19:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Which meant that if the test box worked in each new case, you hid the case from anyone else.  If it didn't work, Federal replaced the case.  None of which accounted for my frame breaking and being replaced at a few thousand rounds.

View Quote

Quit bitching.  That 220 is nothing compared to a 1076.    
I miss my 228.  That APX is fudgly.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Some things that look very promising about the Beretta APX.

1 - Notice the subtle palm swell to the grip, I'm betting it has really great ergonomics.
2 - Trigger face is flat, and it appears it's going to have a very short throw.
3 - Axis to the bore, grip is much higher than the Sig (which is a major oversight on Sig's part IMO)

The issue is, the Beretta is in the conceptual stage at this point, and the Sig is in full production in all 4 versions, in all 3 calibers; Sig is WAY ahead of Beretta.  

But Beretta tends to get things right, and I'm sure the APX will be a good pistol, but do they have the time to get it right.  

One thing's for sure, they're ahead of S&W who hasn't even revealed their M&P version 2.0.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
3 - Axis to the bore, grip is much higher than the Sig (which is a major oversight on Sig's part IMO)
View Quote

It's to be expected from a striker fired adaptation of a hammer-fired handgun.  Whether it really makes a difference, I'm not sure, but it's worth noting.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

It takes ugly pistol to a whole new level, its hideous. Not to mention it looks incredibly cheap, look at those sights and backplate
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
It takes ugly pistol to a whole new level, its hideous. Not to mention it looks incredibly cheap, look at those sights and backplate
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Prototype

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seriously?

You had a miserable time shooting your P220?

Then I would respectfully suggest you switch to a 22 of some form.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I have a Sig P220 on the way.  Does the .45 put more stress on the frame than the P series 9mm?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which meant that if the test box worked in each new case, you hid the case from anyone else.  If it didn't work, Federal replaced the case. None of which accounted for my frame breaking and being replaced at a few thousand rounds.

The P220 is what Sig originally imported into the US back in the 70's.

The gun is fine unless you start shooting regular diet of +p and +p+ ammp through it, and in that case, you should go with the P220 Stainless.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top