Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2015 10:17:22 AM EDT
I am not interested in a .223/5.56 pistol, but if the stocks [992r compliance kits] from CZ become a reality, I would consider an SBR.
I have seen some really low prices for the Bren.
Has anyone purchased one?
What do you think about it?

I have seen one youtube video, but would like more information.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of information do you want? I know a thing or two about the 805
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I've only gotten to fondle one. Despite feeling a little blocky, and the god awful ugly pistol grip,  I liked it. Trigger is pretty good for a stock trigger (2 stage) and the action is smooth.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#3]
How about a thing or two?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am not interested in a .223/5.56 pistol, but if the stocks [992r compliance kits] from CZ become a reality, I would consider an SBR.
I have seen some really low prices for the Bren.
Has anyone purchased one?
What do you think about it?

I have seen one youtube video, but would like more information.
View Quote

Don't bother with the 805 bren. I don't even think the Chech soldiers liked them. They preferred our M4s or the VZ58.
I shot it on 2 RB as well as FA and would much rather have a SCAR or quality AR.
But, you know how gun hype can be. It will be one of those weapons like the ACR, FN2000, etc that fade away over time.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:46:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

well that was specific, haha.

the gun is best of course in rifle configuration.  stock trigger is nice and with some work can be made amazing (i've converted mine to single stage and it breaks at 2-2 1/4 lbs with a very short reset).  the factory hammer forged chrome-line barrel is acceptably accurate, but one of the first things I did for mine was make a stainless match barrel for it so I can't honestly say I've shot the stock one all that much.  Note that the bren does not use a barrel extension, it is a one piece design from the outside of the locking lugs and feed ramp to the muzzle and the gas block and barrel trunion are pressed on over and pinned in place. Interestingly enough though is that an AR-15 barrel extension (needs to be left handed) with some slight modification to the bolt and extension, can be used to make another barrel if one is unable to machine the locking lug area into the barrel. The factory gas setting will work for just about anything, and there is more than enough room on the gas tube to make additional fixed settings for tailored reloads or just running a minimal gas set up. the action itself is incredibly smooth, like ball-bearings smooth. the weight is a little on the heavy side, but not to the point that I found it unbearable (a little more than a quarter pound heavier than a scar 16 of equal barrel length.)  the machining and anodizing of the receiver are both top notch.  the ambi safety works well as does the mag catch.  The downside of course is the lack of a paddle bolt release of course, but other than that I have been very happy with the firearm and have yet to run into one malfunction to date.  it's not an AR15 and if that is what you want, buy an ar15 (I have many and do not think of my bren as a replacement for my ARs), but if you are looking for something a little different it is definitely a quality rifle that deserves your consideration.

if there is something more specific you are curious about ask, this is kind of my general summerization of the firearm.

eta: i-potato bren picture
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 1:16:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I think it would be easier, cheaper, and in the long run better to SBR a SCAR-16s. MAC did a review of the 805 and the cost had me shaking my head.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 1:32:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think it would be easier, cheaper, and in the long run better to SBR a SCAR-16s. MAC did a review of the 805 and the cost had me shaking my head.
View Quote

possibly, depends on when and how much the bren stock kits come out, but if the stocks are priced like the scorpion kit, at 200 buck there is no way you are getting a scar for cheaper

kentucky gun company I believe had the bren for like 1499, 200 for stock and 200 for sbr.  heck you cant  even buy a scar 16 for all that put together, let alone get a short barrel (or have yours cut down) and pay the 200 for sbring.

eta: right now, tonight, you can buy a bren for 1550 online, the cheapest scar 16 i could find is 2149.95. there is no possible way I can see to sbr a scar for cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 3:15:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I have not shot one yet but I intend to get one if my finances improve.

The action is absurdly smooth and the trigger is the closest thing I have seen to a Geissle two stage on a factory rifle.

It has a certain feel to it that I only find in the ARs and AKs I build to my own taste and the Steyr AUG. Different, well made and very nice in my hands.

A touch heavy though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#9]
this is what I was looking for to start with.
I may get in touch after I pick one up.

Quoted:

the gun is best of course in rifle configuration.  stock trigger is nice and with some work can be made amazing (i've converted mine to single stage and it breaks at 2-2 1/4 lbs with a very short reset).  the factory hammer forged chrome-line barrel is acceptably accurate, but one of the first things I did for mine was make a stainless match barrel for it so I can't honestly say I've shot the stock one all that much.  Note that the bren does not use a barrel extension, it is a one piece design from the outside of the locking lugs and feed ramp to the muzzle and the gas block and barrel trunion are pressed on over and pinned in place. Interestingly enough though is that an AR-15 barrel extension (needs to be left handed) with some slight modification to the bolt and extension, can be used to make another barrel if one is unable to machine the locking lug area into the barrel. The factory gas setting will work for just about anything, and there is more than enough room on the gas tube to make additional fixed settings for tailored reloads or just running a minimal gas set up. the action itself is incredibly smooth, like ball-bearings smooth. the weight is a little on the heavy side, but not to the point that I found it unbearable (a little more than a quarter pound heavier than a scar 16 of equal barrel length.)  the machining and anodizing of the receiver are both top notch.  the ambi safety works well as does the mag catch.  The downside of course is the lack of a paddle bolt release of course, but other than that I have been very happy with the firearm and have yet to run into one malfunction to date.  it's not an AR15 and if that is what you want, buy an ar15 (I have many and do not think of my bren as a replacement for my ARs), but if you are looking for something a little different it is definitely a quality rifle that deserves your consideration.

if there is something more specific you are curious about ask, this is kind of my general summerization of the firearm.

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t494/BisonWorld/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsizw3uwx8.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t494/BisonWorld/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsizw3uwx8.jpg

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:44:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I shot the Scar and Bren
Scar felt 10x better. A lot smoother action and less recoil.

The stock is pretty cheap. Like I said, hype right now. Give it time and it will fade away. Go for a quality AR or Scar.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:24:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Can somebody explain to this left handed shooter what the advantage is of putting the magazine release in asymmetric locations?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top