Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2015 10:54:54 PM EDT
So I think I've decided that I want small single stack 9mm for jacket/pocket/iwb/backpack carry on the days my G19 is too big for my preference. I've narrowed it down to two choices:

Glock 43 (Talo version)

or

XDs 9mm (new FDE version)

Can't seem to decide. My local guy can get both for about the same money (glock maybe $25 more).

I like the way the glock holds and points. Love the sights on the Talo model. I have 2 other glocks so I like the platform. I don't like the limited mag capacity tho...

I like the XDs and the way it feels. They have the promotion for 2 free additional mags and other stuff going right now. And I like the added capacity and extended additonal mag. Also own an XD and am comfortable with them as well. Don't like the FO sights at all and having someone swap sights for me is a PITA....

So what sayeth ye arfcom wizards?

ETA - do not care for the Shield 9mm. Tried it. Twice. Can't get comfy with it. So don't bother. I've chosen these two because I like them both and trust the companies.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Only one purse carrier? I'm surprised
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I just got two Pearce +1 grip extension for my Glock 43 which I really like.  I carry the flat base mag (6 + 1) in the pistol plus two spare 7 round mags which I feel is plenty for CCW.  When I started in LE in the mid 70's most Cops carried six shot revolvers with two reloads and a few carried autos which held seven or eight rounds.  My Department issued model 39/439 with one spare mag so I feel adequately armed with the Glock 43.  My 43 has been totally reliable and accurate plus I got Trijicon night sights and normally carry IWB.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I like my 43 with the Pearce +1 extensions.  Since I don't pocket carry the 43, I find that the +1's don't print any worse than the flat base plate.  If this is an issue for you, the TT +1's only add about 1/8" to the magazine length.

I do like the longer length of pull on the XDs since I have large hands, but the grip safety is a no-go for me.  I had an XD and my hand would sometimes come off of the grip safety (again due to large hands).  This was on a first gen XD though, before the changeable backstraps.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#4]
If you like the Glock get it you will not be disappointed.  I chose the Walther PPS and have been more than happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 10:31:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I'm leaning towards the glock....
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought and XDS9 right around the time the 43 came out. Figured I'd get a 43 once prices leveled out, but I've actually been quite satisfied with the XDS. I don't think you can go wrong with either...and the XDS9 gives you a one round advantage over the 43. Mine has a sear and spring kit, Ameriglo Hackathorn sights and Talon grips, but it was just fine in stock form.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#7]

I like my Glock 43 with the Taran Tactical +2. magazine floor plates.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#8]
g43
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#9]
G43. but I have no idea WTF a "talo version" may possibly be so it may be all jacked up compared to a stock.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#10]
CM9/PM9
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 2:55:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Glock 43
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Other...

Make mine a Shield.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:34:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the Shield,

The Glock points weird (high) and I hate the trigger.
The XDs grip is really nasty and square though, not comfortable to hold much less shoot.

You don't like the Shield though...

I'd probably lean toward the XDs.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#14]
If you don't get the 43, look at the lc9s pro or PPS.

I wouldn't buy a hugely marked up Croatian gun with the xd.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Other...

Make mine a Shield.
View Quote

+1

My shield has been flawless and has better capacity.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 4:59:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Get the G43
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I recently bought a XDs 3.3 9mm and love it. Took it out to the range and fired off 300 rounds with no problem. The XDs offers me a little better grip for my large hands. The 43 was a little small. I had a LC9s, which functioned great, but after every shot I would have to adjust my grip as the frame is way too small for me. It conceals better but if I ever had to use it in real time, I cannot adjust my grip every shot.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
G43. but I have no idea WTF a "talo version" may possibly be so it may be all jacked up compared to a stock.
View Quote

The TALO version is a distributor exclusive and has a trigger upgrade and night sights installed "from the factory".
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I recently purchased a Shield and am happy with it. It isn't my primary carry, so it doesn't get much shooting or carrying time. I had the option between the XDs, 43, and Shield and for me the Shield stood out as the most shootable. This coming from a Glock guy. My second choice would be the 43. It wouldn't hurt my feelings having a XDs either, so really can't lose here.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Palmetto State has the XDs 9 for $379.00. Shipped.  That would push me in that direction
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:40:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Shoot a 938 before you buy either.  I know it's more expensive, it's worth it.

Of those, I'd have the G43, but the Shield is better than either.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Interesting thread for me because while I carry a G43, my best buddies carry an XDs and a Shield, respectively. So, I tend to get to shoot all three side-by-side-by-side quite frequently.

I like them all. I shoot them all well and all have decent triggers for a carry gun.

The Shield is the softest shooter and easiest to get back on target. It feel like a bigger gun than the other two and I suppose it is to some extent but the dimensions of the three are very similar. The Shield feels more like bigger gun in hand and it definitely handles recoil like a bigger gun. My friend's gun has a couple of thousand rounds through it without one single hiccup. It purrs like a kitten with any ammo.

The XDs feels smaller in hand than the other two. My pinky doesn't even touch the grip at all with the flush-mount mag but the gun is still quite easy to control. It has the best factory sights of the three and also runs like a champ. The grip is a bit on the rough side but I don't really notice it with the 9mm until about 100 rounds, or so. With the .45, I notice it much sooner.

For me, the G43 was the winner. I love the size, longer barrel and texture on the grip. The grip is the perfect size for me to curl my pinky right under it .... it literally couldn't be a more perfect fit. It's almost like they used my hand to design the gun. I also simply cannot seem to point the G43 at anything without the sights lining up perfectly. It just fits and points so well for me that the decision was easy.

All that said, I don't really shoot the G43 all that much better than I do the other two. I just like the feel of it better. While I voted G43, you just might think the XDs "feels" better to you. I would have been happy to carry the Springfield had the G43 not came out.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:57:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Shoot a 938 before you buy either.  I know it's more expensive, it's worth it.

Of those, I'd have the G43, but the Shield is better than either.
View Quote

I ordered a 938 from PSA today for $499.99 shipped. How can you beat that for a true pocket 9mm with night sights?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Walther PPS are cheap now, even Cabelas has them under $370
Shield would be another one.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Shield
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The TALO version is a distributor exclusive and has a trigger upgrade and night sights installed "from the factory".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think the TALO has a trigger upgrade.  All I can see is that it has ProGlo sights and that's it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:19:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a Kahr p9 that fills that role right now.

I shoot my xd40 pretty good so maybe the xd9s would be just as good.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Walther PPS.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

The Talo edition just comes with night sights already installed. Talo is a distributor/custom gun dealer.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Neither.

Walter PPS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top