Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2015 9:38:22 PM EDT
So my finance wanted to have a firearm readily available around the house in the event there's a break in. She's not a fan of the AR platform or shotguns and we wound up getting her a Cx4 in 9mm (shoulder fired is easier to shoot then a handgun, uses all my M9 mags). What's a good round for using in an apartment? She's got my 9mm Golden Sabers loaded right now but if she unloads on a guy coming through the door there's two walls and an apartment next door and they don't really need to get involved in the drama. Would something like a Glaser Blue tip be a good round for that or is there no really good answer in the 9mm round?
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Gold Dots
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#2]
No to your question.

The correct ANSWER is any one of these 3:

Federal HST./

2  Speer Gold Dot

3 Winchester Ranger T

I  stock  the Winchester Ranger T, in 147 grain because they are available, and  so far, function  perfectly in all 9mm pistols I have  tried.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:00:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Your talking fairly short distances and thin apartment walls. So this Glaser might be a good choice. I shot those for a while in a .44 spl bulldog. The shot moves around while the bullet travels so accuracy is not that good.
The new Federal guard dog load would be a excellant choice. but even though this is a low penetration round, it still may go through walls.
Whichever you pick, make sure the gun functions with that load.

If it was me I would go to your local Dick's sporting goods and pick up a Remington 870 pump shotgun. Get the youth model ( The butt stock is shorter) . And get it in 20 gauge.
Buy a hi vis fiber optic stick on front sight for $10 and stick it on the front sight. Load the gun with Number 7 or 8 Field loads.

Now you have a short gun, with Low recoil, and low penetration, that should still get the job done.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#4]
There's not going to be a bullet that does what you need both ways as anything that'll be effective on threats will penetrate walls. Stick with your GS.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So my finance wanted to have a firearm readily available around the house in the event there's a break in. She's not a fan of the AR platform or shotguns and we wound up getting her a Cx4 in 9mm (shoulder fired is easier to shoot then a handgun, uses all my M9 mags). What's a good round for using in an apartment? She's got my 9mm Golden Sabers loaded right now but if she unloads on a guy coming through the door there's two walls and an apartment next door and they don't really need to get involved in the drama. Would something like a Glaser Blue tip be a good round for that or is there no really good answer in the 9mm round?
View Quote

No, and there is no round that does what you want in ANY caliber.

You can have a round that penetrates enough tissue to reliably stop the threat, or you can have a round that won't penetrate as far through intermediate barriers.

You cannot have both.

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I run Gold Dots in all of my pistols
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Stay away from magic rounds.  They may cause significant superficial damage, but none of them penetrate deep enough to cause the damage needed to incapacitate a threat.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stay away from magic rounds.  They may cause significant superficial damage, but none of them penetrate deep enough to cause the damage needed to incapacitate a threat.
View Quote

Yeah, agree.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the input. I'll just stick to Gold Dots / Gold Sabers. Figured I'd ask the question. Not too worried about her throwing rounds into the other apartment, with that Cx4 she can do a pretty decent minute of bad guy mag dump at the ranges we're working with in here. Thanks again for all the help.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the input. I'll just stick to Gold Dots / Gold Sabers. Figured I'd ask the question. Not too worried about her throwing rounds into the other apartment, with that Cx4 she can do a pretty decent minute of bad guy mag dump at the ranges we're working with in here. Thanks again for all the help.
View Quote

Good idea.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#11]
All pistol rounds are going to penetrate walls if you miss the threat. While over penetration is still an issue, it is actually less with 5.56 or shotgun.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Stay away from glaser rounds. Watch the video in this link about a guy named Lance Thomas. He shot a guy just under the nose from like 3 feet. It didn't kill him. Left just a small scar. Look at his Bookin shot. You can see the scar. It's the first guy he shot (he shot several more in subsequent robbery attempts at his store).

http://youtu.be/pkWgp2abM2w
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 10:34:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, Glaser type rounds are a poor choice
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#14]
1911 gunsmith Ken Hallock, told me about one of his customers, and officer who shot a felon with a 45ACP Glaser safety slug.

the round failed to penetrate his biker jacket, some of the tiny bb's deflected upward and peppered his chin

That freaked him out enough to comply and he was arrested.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:09:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Back in the early '90's, I had an AD with a 40SW loaded with Glaser rounds. (we didn't know better back then) It went through the roof, including shredding a 2X4 and exited the house, going through the exterior "Spanish tile" roof and in to outer space...

So they will penetrate building material. Why give up sooo much terminal performance compared to much better modern rounds while penetrating walls etc just as much.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There's not going to be a bullet that does what you need both ways as anything that'll be effective on threats will penetrate walls. Stick with your GS.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Sorry but THIS is the answer.

The Glaser Safety Slug is a horrible defense cartridge.  Penetration is almost always insufficient, several guns have issues functioning such a light bullet, the noise/muzzle blast from Glasers is extreme, and if you miss it will still penetrate several layers of wall board before breaking up.  Just not worth it in my book.

The reality is you just can't afford to miss a shot inside an apartment.  Use something in 115-124 grains in a reliable hollow point and train to not miss.  If you think a miss is a high liklihood, then switch to a shotgun with #4 buck shot.  It will still penetrate walls, but it loses energy fast.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I wish everyone who considers Glaser safety slugs would take two minutes to watch a YouTube video with the gel test. They'll never consider them again.
View Quote

True! The only time/situation I would trust a Glaser to reliably incapacitate.... is a contact shot to the head or neck.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#19]
If the lack of performance was not enough ( which it is) the fact glazers are so expensive ( like 15 bucks for six) it is not practical to run even 50 or so through your gun to confirm function before relying on them.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Screw gimmick rounds.

Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST are the only ones I load for self defense. In .45ACP obviously
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 3:03:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Federal HST

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#22]
As already stated.  Federal HST, Gold dots in 124 gr. standard or + P.  There are better frangibles out there.  Glaser in blue, then came Glasers in silver with bigger shot pellets.  Those were to compete with Magsafe ammo, which was poured into an expoxy mix and had larger shot pellets.  There was Rhino ammo too.  Check out the Strasburg ammo test.  At that time, they fired every known bullet made from every caliber handgun into goats and measured the average incapacitating times it took to put them down.  Quite interesting results.  Frangibles, particularly the MagSafe finished first.  They were good with frontal shots when a suspect is wearing t-shirts.  Then came the +p+, +p loads, then the standard hollow points.  The worst was ball ammo.  I wish they would do another round of test.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As already stated.  Federal HST, Gold dots in 124 gr. standard or + P.  There are better frangibles out there.  Glaser in blue, then came Glasers in silver with bigger shot pellets.  Those were to compete with Magsafe ammo, which was poured into an expoxy mix and had larger shot pellets.  There was Rhino ammo too.  Check out the Strasburg ammo test.  At that time, they fired every known bullet made from every caliber handgun into goats and measured the average incapacitating times it took to put them down.  Quite interesting results.  Frangibles, particularly the MagSafe finished first.  They were good with frontal shots when a suspect is wearing t-shirts.  Then came the +p+, +p loads, then the standard hollow points.  The worst was ball ammo.  I wish they would do another round of test.
View Quote

Quite interesting results in that they were totally debunked by qualified ballisticians. It was nothing more than an attempt to push their brand of ammo by the people conducting the "test."

"Dr. Martin Fackler, IWBA president, reviews the "Strasbourg Tests," a purported study of the reaction of several hundred live unanesthetized "human-sized" goats that were allegedly shot to test the "one-shot stopping power" of various handgun cartridges. Fackler explains the many incongruities, inconsistencies and absurdities which lead him (and most other wound ballistics experts) to conclude that the "Strasbourg Tests" are a hoax.

Fackler concludes: "The only people who believe the 'Strasbourg Tests' are real are the usual crowd of crackpot 'magic' bullet believers and the pathetically incompetent editors of consumer gun magazines like Guns & Ammo."

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top