User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/5/2015 11:04:31 AM EDT
Requirements:
- 9mm
- Capacity of 12 or greater
- Grip large enough for all three fingers with no magazine extension (no fake grip magazine extensions either).
- Barrel short enough for appendix carry
- Striker fired with no manual safety

The G26 with a grip length somewhere between it and a G19 would be perfect.  Is there anything out there that meets these requirements.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#1]
FNH FNS9C?

There's a model with the manual safety and a model without. Honestly the safety lever is so small that you could just not use it and never notice.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#3]
too much thinking just get glock 19
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

G19 is too long to appendix carry which is the only way that I can comfortably carry (other than pocket carry).
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

M&P 9C is bigger than a G26, smaller than a G19.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Requirements:
- 9mm
- Grip large enough for all three fingers with no magazine extension (no fake grip magazine extensions either).

The G26 with a grip length somewhere between it and a G19 would be perfect.  Is there anything out there that meets these requirements.

M&P 9C is bigger than a G26, smaller than a G19.

Yeah, I'd be looking at this.

Or maybe the HK P2000c?  Or just the regular ole P2000 maybe???
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

G19 is too long to appendix carry which is the only way that I can comfortably carry (other than pocket carry).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grip or barrel too long?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why? Not a sarcastic question. Just wondering where 12 came from as the magic number
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Grip or barrel too long?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grip or barrel too long?

Barrel.  Don't want the barrel digging into my hip while seated.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Why? Not a sarcastic question. Just wondering where 12 came from as the magic number
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems to be what a double stack 9mm should hold with a reasonable grip length.  I also already have a Kel Tec P11 that holds 13 in a very small package.  I've been trying to replace it for 10 years, but nothing seems to beat it in capacity to size ratio.  Single stacks just don't have enough capacity; I can pocket carry my LCP if I only want 7 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#10]
M&P 9c is what you seek. It's pretty inexpensive too

The grip is a tad short fall all of my fingers to fit on, but I have big hands.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#11]
M&P9c is what you described without knowing

12+1 capacity and the ability to go up to 17
Does well at the appendix position
Grip is just long enough for all fingers depending on your hand size
Falls right in between the G19 and G26 like you're looking for.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Requirements:
- 9mm

View Quote

G26 with extended magazine.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#13]
The M&P9c does look pretty good.  Here is the problem that I always run into though:

M&P9c vs Kel Tec P-11

Length = 6.7" vs. 5.6"
Height = 4.3" vs. 4.3"
Width = 1.2" vs. 1.0"
Capacity = 12+1 vs. 12+1

On specs alone, the P-11 is almost impossible to beat.  As thin as most of the new fangled single stacks, with double their capacity.  The trigger and sights are obviously big wins for the M&P, but I don't know if that is enough to sway me.  I'm afraid that the barre length would be too long for appendix carry.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#14]
M&P 9c fits the bill but so do a lot of others.  Sig P239, HP USP compact, FNS compact, SA XDm compact size.  The list kind of goes on of great options.
The M&P will have cheaper mags and more accessories in the aftermarket world.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#15]
M&P 9C  or FNS Compact.  Just what you are looking for.

As for the Kel-Tec, well maybe, but just not for me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
M&P 9C  or FNS Compact.  Just what you are looking for.

As for the Kel-Tec, well maybe, but just not for me.
View Quote

Yeah- I know.  That is why I've been trying to replace it for over 10 years.  It has been 100% reliable for me though; just seems like there should be something better by now...

I haven't carried the Kel Tec for awhile; been pocket carrying an LCP instead.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:39:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Sig P320- mix & match the exact grip length and circumference as well as the barrel/slide length you desire.  More options than anything else on the market and a far better trigger than the glocks.

You can also get it in a more effective caliber like .357sig or .45acp.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd find a way to make the PPQ work.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What holster are you using?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#20]
P99 Compact. AS trigger.
http://www.guns.com/review/2013/04/25/walther-p99c-as/
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I have both M&P compact and many glock 19s

M&P sounds like what you want but be advised that the trigger absolutely sucks out of the box, glock is much better.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#22]
M&P Compact or the sleeper that probably can be had for a good price....

The Sig Sauer P224.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grip or barrel too long?

Have you tried moving the holster more towards your centerline?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grip or barrel too long?

Doesn't work as well for me.  I have a small gut (no six pack) which helps hide the pistol when at 2 o'clock; it hides between my small gut and hip bone.  My gut starts working against me if I move the gun towards the center.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The M&P9c does look pretty good.  Here is the problem that I always run into though:

M&P9c vs Kel Tec P-11

Length = 6.7" vs. 5.6"
Height = 4.3" vs. 4.3"
Width = 1.2" vs. 1.0"
Capacity = 12+1 vs. 12+1

On specs alone, the P-11 is almost impossible to beat.  As thin as most of the new fangled single stacks, with double their capacity.  The trigger and sights are obviously big wins for the M&P, but I don't know if that is enough to sway me.  I'm afraid that the barre length would be too long for appendix carry.
View Quote

The reliability/durability between the M&P and Kel-Tec is night and day.  They aren't even comparable in that aspect.  My 9c ran very well for the time that I had it and my friend's P11 would rust between range trips.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
P99 Compact. AS trigger.
http://www.guns.com/review/2013/04/25/walther-p99c-as/
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#27]
XDM 3.8 Compact.

Appendix carry...XD Mod2
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Sig P320- mix & match the exact grip length and circumference as well as the barrel/slide length you desire.  More options than anything else on the market and a far better trigger than the glocks.

You can also get it in a more effective caliber like .357sig or .45acp.  
View Quote

Came here to post this, buy the sub-compact and use the larger mags with the x-grip adapters or put a compact frame on the slide. You will have to trim back a little on the dust cover to get it to line up right. You can also smooth the whole rail off if you want. The great thing is the grip is not serialized and only $40 so you don't care if you mess it up.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Stick with what you've got now and pocket carry most of the time or loose the gut and appendix carry more.
( not being a smart aleck )

I you loose the gut, you will discover how comfortable the guns which you have been discounting are to appendix carry.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Requirements:
- 9mm

The G26 with a grip length somewhere between it and a G19 would be perfect. Is there anything out there that meets these requirements.
View Quote

E-Z:  A G26 with a G19 magazine and an X-Grip adapter.  (Short nose, 16 rounds, and can be a 12+1 system with Glock's own magazines.  You can make up requirements to exclude almost anything, but with what you want, this combination lets you avoid the off brands while allowing flexibility when you figure out what you really need.  I have the exact item.  It works.)

Photo:  G26 with X-Grip installed and a spare plain mag for in your pocket, just for in case you use up the first 16.  It ain't fake.  Its as real as it gets.  Yes the G26 has HiViz sights and an extended Glock slide release/hold open.  The arrows on the mag show the shelf that prevents over insertion in the Glock system.  You don't need the adapter on the spare mag in 9mm guns.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#31]
If want to appendix carry, I definitely recommend carrying a longer barrel. It'll help tuck the frame back into your stomach for printing reasons.

I have found that a G34 conceals better than a G17.

Or you can get a foam wedge.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
M&P Compact or the sleeper that probably can be had for a good price....

The Sig Sauer P224.
View Quote

I was gonna mention this one.  But most people don't like DAO.  I'm intrigued by this gun though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The reliability/durability between the M&P and Kel-Tec is night and day.  They aren't even comparable in that aspect.  My 9c ran very well for the time that I had it and my friend's P11 would rust between range trips.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

M&P9c vs Kel Tec P-11

Length = 6.7" vs. 5.6"
Height = 4.3" vs. 4.3"
Width = 1.2" vs. 1.0"
Capacity = 12+1 vs. 12+1

Then your friend must have some very acidic sweat. I've never had that issue, and I've carried mine in the Texas heat and humidity for almost 20 years.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#34]
How about a 19 with a grip chopped down to 26 length? never mind, saw you don't like the barrel length.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How about a 19 with a grip chopped down to 26 length? never mind, saw you don't like the barrel length.
View Quote

Yep- I want pretty much the opposite.  A G19 with the barrel and slide chopped down to the G26 length.

Heck- I might as well pull the P-11 out of the safe and take it to the range again.  Maybe I'll like it and it will come out of retirement for awhile.  Maybe I'll hate it and try something else.  I'll also borrow a G19 from a friend to see how it carries.  I've been comfortable pocket carrying an LCP, but the recent Oregon shooting has me thinking about carrying a more shootable pistol.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#36]
XDm compact for me!  Superb weapon!
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Both my P11 held 10+1.

How are you getting12 in it?

Is this a newer version that has changes?

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:00:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Both my P11 held 10+1.

How are you getting12 in it?

Is this a newer version that has changes?

View Quote

They are available from Kel Tec or you can convert your 10 rounders.  The 10 round mags have "legs" on the bottom of the follower to limit them to 10.  Take the follower out and file the legs down.  It only takes a little to get 11 rounds in.  You can fit 12 by taking the legs off completely.  Just to be conservative, my carry mag is 11.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#39]
You said no grip extensions so does that rule out the M&P9C? That is probably what I would go with; I would also get one with the safety and use & train with using it since you are going appendix carry.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#40]
If you insist on a double stack, highly recommend a look at the CZ PCR.  If you can live with 8+1 the Sig P239 SAS is IMHO the best carry gun available.  Single stack is way easier to carry and backup mag is thin.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You said no grip extensions so does that rule out the M&P9C? That is probably what I would go with; I would also get one with the safety and use & train with using it since you are going appendix carry.
View Quote

I'd prefer all grip, but that doesn't look like it exists in a sub-compact pistol.  The one flat base, one grip extender magazine combo seems to be the norm (and I understand why, I just don't like it).

I'm currently torn.  If planning for the worst case scenario, the smallest pistol that I'd be comfortable with is a G19; however, I don't think that I can comfortably carry one (my normal dress is shorts and t-shirt for 10 months of the year).  My LCP fills the one thug attack role perfectly fine and can be carried anywhere while wearing anything.  I'm worried that a compromise (something more shootable than the LCP but more concealable than the G19) might end up doing neither well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Maybe go with the bigger gun in a different mode of carry.  IWB strong side is a good way to carry a gun.  I do it every day.  Not saying appendix is wrong or bad, obviously a lot of people do it.   I hear it's faster than strong side.  But strong side has been done by many people.

Or just go single stack.  I think single stack is better too.  Extra mag is so much easier to carry.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Just got back from the fun store to review some options.  Handling the G19, G26, and G43 was eye opening.  I was leaning towards the 26, but the 43 looked so easy to carry.  They also had the Walther PPS on sale for $379!  While super thin, it felt like a much larger handgun in my hand (a very good thing since I have large hands).  I hadn't researched the PPS at all, so I left without it, but I'm seriously considering going back to get it.  My buddy has one, so I will borrow it this weekend for a try out.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#44]
The PPS is the stealh pistol in this class of handgun, and why it is so ignored is beyond me.

I purchased mine used, though it had a low round count, several years ago.
It is the small gun that shoots like a big one.

Never an issue, eats any premium JHP that I have fed it. Mine does very well accuracy wise with 147 and 124 HSTs.

The option of having a 6, 7, or 8 round mag is a plus as well.

Give it a chance, I'm glad I did.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Why all the BS!  Get a Gen4 G19!
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:21:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would be the ideal, but I don't realistically think that I would end up carrying it.  I'd like to try the 26, but would probably have the same issue.  I know that I can comfortably carry the 43 or PPS all day.  While neither fits all of my requirements, they are both more shootable than my current EDC (LCP).  

I'm borrowing a friend's PPS this weekend to play with.  I might also visit another friend who has a G26 to see how easy (or not) I can conceal it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#47]
G26 with G19 mags and a mag grip adapter.

/thread
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#48]
SCCY CPX-2 CB
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That would be the ideal, but I don't realistically think that I would end up carrying it.  I'd like to try the 26, but would probably have the same issue.  I know that I can comfortably carry the 43 or PPS all day.  While neither fits all of my requirements, they are both more shootable than my current EDC (LCP).  

I'm borrowing a friend's PPS this weekend to play with.  I might also visit another friend who has a G26 to see how easy (or not) I can conceal it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let us know what you think of it after you shoot it.  Most people that have ever owned one on here seemed to praise the PPS.  I think Mongo45 had one.... ????  I forget.  A few dudes on here have said they are good little guns.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Sounds like you need a Taurus PT111 G2. Striker fired, 12rnds, good sights, my hand fits around the grip, same size as a G26.

I know I know, its a Taurus. Cant help with that, but it is a pretty neat pistol. I like mine.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top