Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2015 12:39:59 AM EDT
Looking for a quality carry gun and have handled both and liked these two pistols. For those of you who own these guns, which would you pick and why?

And if I go the S&W route I will definitely put in an APEX trigger cause the stock one is awful IMO.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:58:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Voted Shield because I love mine. That said, I have a desire to buy a 938 to toy with and try it for carry.

My Shield has a safety so the 938 would have a bit of commonality.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 1:05:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Let me just say that I am a loyal Sig supporter but...On a knee jerk I bought 2 P938s a couple months ago. A bug for me and one for my Son in Law and was able to buy them both brand new for a fantastic price. 2 weeks later, I sold them both. Neither would hit paper. I tried hand loads and store bought....they both shot like a cat on fire, all over the fucking place.
Traded them both on 2 Kimbers, problem solved.
Buy the SW.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 1:12:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I just bought a 938 Extreme on last Friday night.

Put roughly 100 rounds through it Saturday.  It is supremely accurate.  My PPQ is the most accurate service/carry style pistol I've ever owned, and the little Sig will group right with it.  

In my opinion you are kind of comparing different animals.  The Shield has a proven track record, has some aftermarket support, and is overall very popular here.

I would never in a million years choose one over my new Sig.

But, they are in completely different worlds price wise.  The Sig is nearly double the price at most places.  I would strongly suggest shooting them both if you can before you buy.

Love my Sig.  Can't pick a winner for you though unfortunately.

ETA:  I would consider the Shield a quality workhorse myself.  Great pistols.  The Sig does the same thing, but if fit and finish, and just general craftsmanship are your thing you could appreciate the 938.  I drive a damned truck, and can't wait to get home to shoot some more!
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#4]
The P938 is a fashion statement for 1911 fans.

The Shield 9mm is a working tool for CCW use.

Unless you are going to a barbeque, buy the Shield.

Unless you are already well versed on the 1911, the P938 is complicated.

If you don't like a Shield trigger, you probably don't like Glock triggers either.

For CCW use, compare the size and shape and the two Shield magazine choices to the rigid square of the P938.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you don't like a Shield trigger, you probably don't like Glock triggers either.

For CCW use, compare the size and shape and the two Shield magazine choices to the rigid square of the P938.
View Quote

The 938 is no more complicated to use than a Shield with a safety.

The 938 is much smaller than the Shield.

The 938 ships with one 6rd mag, and one 7rd mag.

ETA:  Hey Op....don't overlook the Ruger LC9s as well.  Smaller, cheaper, and better trigger than either.  Comes in several variations.
So many choices.  Comes down to what will work for you.  Just throwing in another to consider.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Shield - hands down for me.  It's my regular CCW and it's great.  Small enough, thin enough, accurate enough, shootable, reliable, well supported in the industry (holsters, sights, accessories, etc.).  I've heard it described as the "smallest true fighting handgun made today" and I think that's just about right.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I enjoy shooting Glock triggers and the Sheild stock trigger is much worse,
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

ETA:  Hey Op....don't overlook the Ruger LC9s as well.  Smaller, cheaper, and better trigger than either.  Comes in several variations.
So many choices.  Comes down to what will work for you.  Just throwing in another to consider.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The LC9 has a mile long trigger and I didn't really enjoy the feel in my hand. I understand the 938 is more expensive but the trigger and the size make the price worth it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The LC9 has a mile long trigger and I didn't really enjoy the feel in my hand. I understand the 938 is more expensive but the trigger and the size make the price worth it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.  You just made it easier I think.  If you don't mind spending the money then I would buy the Sig.  It is just a nicer pistol.

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ok.  You just made it easier I think.  If you don't mind spending the money then I would buy the Sig.  It is just a nicer pistol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would reliability and accuracy be on the same level as the Shield?
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#11]
^^^
I can't personally say one way or another.  Just got the 938 last week.  It's a Sig, so I would assume yes on both counts.  I don't want to speak in absolutes without having a lot more rounds down range.  Some others have had theirs much longer and you can find their opinions and other threads down below, and in the Sig sub-forum.

I'm not a raging fan-boy for any brand.  Only things I can tell you is I just got my 938.  I put roughly 100rds through it.  Five different ammo types ranging from 115gr to 147gr HP were used.  It was accurate as hell with all of them and had no failures.  I came away genuinely excited, impressed, and I don't regret dropping the coin at all.

If I had a couple of nitpick complaints it would be it has a plastic trigger.  The pull weight is too heavy for my liking, although the trigger is crisp.  And the long recoil spring can be difficult upon reassembly.

It's a beautifully made pistol and currently the nicest I own.  It shoots as well as my PPQ when I do my part.  Comes with Sigs limited lifetime warranty.

Like I say, I don't like picking winners or being flamed for not choosing another's favorite.  They are both fine pistols, but I don't regret the 938 at all.  I used to have a full-size M&P 40 that I hated.  From what I hear, the triggers coming in the newer Smith's are much improved.

Hope this is useful.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
^^^
I can't personally say one way or another.  Just got the 938 last week.  It's a Sig, so I would assume yes on both counts.  I don't want to speak in absolutes without having a lot more rounds down range.  Some others have had theirs much longer and you can find their opinions and other threads down below, and in the Sig sub-forum.

I'm not a raging fan-boy for any brand.  Only things I can tell you is I just got my 938.  I put roughly 100rds through it.  Five different ammo types ranging from 115gr to 147gr HP were used.  It was accurate as hell with all of them and had no failures.  I came away genuinely excited, impressed, and I don't regret dropping the coin at all.

If I had a couple of nitpick complaints it would be it has a plastic trigger.  The pull weight is too heavy for my liking, although the trigger is crisp.  And the long recoil spring can be difficult upon reassembly.

It's a beautifully made pistol and currently the nicest I own.  It shoots as well as my PPQ when I do my part.  Comes with Sigs limited lifetime warranty.

Like I say, I don't like picking winners or being flamed for not choosing another's favorite.  They are both fine pistols, but I don't regret the 938 at all.  I used to have a full-size M&P 40 that I hated.  From what I hear, the triggers coming in the newer Smith's are much improved.

Hope this is useful.
View Quote

Thank you for the insights. I found a P938 two tone for $549 so I think I'll go that route.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thank you for the insights. I found a P938 two tone for $549 so I think I'll go that route.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^^

Hope this is useful.

Damnit man!  That's a great price.  If for some reason you hate it, I'll give you your money back for it!
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Damnit man!  That's a great price.  If for some reason you hate it, I'll give you your money back for it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^^

Hope this is useful.

One hang up, I can't find a decent IWB holster for the P938 so I think I will settle with the Shield.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:09:41 PM EDT
[#16]
That's funny.  I have a StealthGear on order for mine.  I would consider them slightly decent.  Lol

Pretty sure holsters for the Colt Mustang work as well.

Buy the Shield.  They are popular for a reason.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I own both and have put several hundred rounds through both.
The Shield is noticeably larger and more comfortable to shoot. The trigger is so-so. The safety is a disappointment - it's too small to count on being able to flip on and off during a high-stress situation. The overall flatness of the gun is excellent - very few protruding parts. Overall, 7/10.
The P938 is tiny. It looks nice, and fits fairly well in my hands. The extended magazines are a must for anything except pocket carry, IMO. The trigger is decent - a bit heavy, but with a short, crisp pill. The fact that the trigger is plastic is a disappointment. It has a lot of protruding parts (hammer, beaver tail, thumb safety, slide lock). The safety is easy to manipulate and just big enough to give me confidence, even in a high-stress situation. Overall, 8/10.
My Shield sits in the safe while the P938 gets a lot of carry time. If I had a model without the safety, I might carry the Shield a little more. I'm not keen on carrying the model with the safety even if the safety is just left off. It would be just my luck that the safety would get bumped on and I wouldn't realize it until it's too late.

If price is a consideration (and it usually is), the Shield is almost half the price of the P938. If you want to save some money, that's a huge plus for the Shield. The Shield also makes a better range gun if you're looking for something dual-purpose. For strictly CCW and if you don't mind spending an extra $300-400, my vote goes to the P938.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Cant go wrong with either but I will have to vote shield. I really enjoy shooting mine and carrying it, just wish we had the option for a shield with no safety.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#19]
For a holster check out Garrett Silent Thunder GT. I just got one for my p938. It's a very nice holster with many different belt loop/mounting options.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#20]
You can buy 2 shields for the price of one 938.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I have both and carry both regularly. Both are great guns IMO.

For me, the 938 is the softer shooter and more comfortable in the hand. I do have the molded Hogue grips though and they seem to make a difference in taming any snappiness. It's also smaller than the Shield.

On the other hand, I find the Shield does a bit better with stuff like sweat deposits and requires less routine cleaning (I'm in FL). If you have big hands the Shield may work better as I found it easy to ride the slide with my thumb on the 938. It's a training issue but something I found myself doing until I realized it and trained myself not to.

Both of mine shoot fine and are reliable. I'd be happy with either one but if I had to pick just one, I'd give the 938 the nod.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Get both.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I had the p938 and loved it but ran into reliability issues with it and could no longer trust it as a defense gun. Can't recommend it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:50:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I have 2 Shields in 9mm.
Prior to that my off duty carry for summer was a Makarov.
Shields have a thumb safety like a 1911 (or not if you want it that way) same ammo as my main carry (even though that is a SIG)
The Shield is just nice for the money and mags are pretty cheap.  
You can put it in a cargo pocket or just about anywhere.
I picked the Shield because it was not as big or thick as the others I looked at and it's well balanced when loaded.
I have not played with the SIG, but that's my $.02
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:37:24 AM EDT
[#25]
I have both, both have been reliable with all ammo used, both have good triggers, the fit and finish on the Sig is extraordinary while the Smith is a typical poly pistol. The sig is much smoother and can be easily cycled by my Wife as well as both Daughters, the Smith they struggle with. I don't really care for either because they are to damn small (the Sig being much smaller).
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I have both... I prefer the P938 because it is smaller than the shield and more suitable for pocket carry.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Looking for a quality carry gun and have handled both and liked these two pistols. For those of you who own these guns, which would you pick and why?

And if I go the S&W route I will definitely put in an APEX trigger cause the stock one is awful IMO.
View Quote

Try out a few different ones then. All the ones I've shot have had smooth triggers. To add the Apex sear and USB is relatively easy though...
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:35:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So why not a G43?  Better trigger than the Shield (and one you already like) but all the benefits of a striker.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I voted shield. I just begin strictly shooting my shield because it's my main CCW and damn I feel in love with it all over. 300 rounds on a range trip on Saturday. It's just as accurate as any of my guns and it handles recoil perfectly. Love that gun.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:27:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So why not a G43?  Better trigger than the Shield (and one you already like) but all the benefits of a striker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't been able to find one I can handle or shoot and I also don't like the fact that you have to purchase expensive magazine extensions 3rd party as opposed to factory made. For me, I like getting my little finger around  the grip which would require an extension for the G43
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#31]
They do make Shields with no Safety so that point is not valid.

Honestly the Shield to me was a way better shooter. Also more durable.  938 is too pretty and easily scratched, etc. For the Price, the 938 is just too darn expensive and thats because I think their prices have come down a tad because theres just far better options out there in the small gun category.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Honestly the Shield to me was a way better shooter. Also more durable.  938 is too pretty and easily scratched, etc. For the Price, the 938 is just too darn expensive and thats because I think their prices have come down a tad because theres just far better options out there in the small gun category.
View Quote

So many better options?  No.

Shield is a great pistol.  But it's in different class.

The Sig is one of, if not the smallest 7+1 9mm you can get.

By the time you put a decent trigger and sights on the Shield you are approaching 938 price range.  And when you get done you will have an expensive plastic pistol that isn't much more concealable than a M&Pc.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I have both... I prefer the P938 because it is smaller than the shield and more suitable for pocket carry.

View Quote

Exactly why I bought mine...perfect for pocket carry.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Love my shield and I find the trigger to be just fine. It is not the standard M&P trigger (which is awful).
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

By the time you put a decent trigger and sights on the Shield you are approaching 938 price range.  And when you get done you will have an expensive plastic pistol that isn't much more concealable than a M&Pc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think people that complain about shield triggers are just Internet Mall Ninjas.  In any real defense scenario you aren't going to be worrying about "Tactical Trigger Reset" "Trigger Breaks" "Trigger Gritiness"  thats all just a bunch of crap people like to believe is important in a CCW.  I can understand shooting for matches, Olympics etc. but thats not whiny either of these guns are aimed for.  Self Defense Scenario I'm drawing weapons and shooting the crap out of the bad guy like theres no tomorrow.  Aint nobody got time for trigger resets and crap.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I think people that complain about shield triggers are just Internet Mall Ninjas.  In any real defense scenario you aren't going to be worrying about "Tactical Trigger Reset" "Trigger Breaks" "Trigger Gritiness"  thats all just a bunch of crap people like to believe is important in a CCW.  I can understand shooting for matches, Olympics etc. but thats not whiny either of these guns are aimed for.  Self Defense Scenario I'm drawing weapons and shooting the crap out of the bad guy like theres no tomorrow.  Aint nobody got time for trigger resets and crap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey man, I agree with you for the most part.  Simply wanted to explain you pay more for the Sig, but there is a reason for it.  Both are good.  But they really shouldn't be in the same class.  The Sig is much smaller and nicer with good factory night sights.  Does that mean the Shield is low quality garbage?... Hell no.  The Shield is damn good and very popular for a reason.  Not everyone wants or needs the SIG's features.  And not everyone can warrant spending so much more for the Sig.  In my case it was well worth it.  But everybody is different.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#37]
The sig I tried had the worst single action trigger I ever pulled.

Buy the shield. Add an apex trigger and striker. Maybe new sights and you have the smallest fighting pistol on the market.

Also check out mag guts to get +1 round in the factory mags
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 1:26:17 AM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The sig I tried had the worst single action trigger I ever pulled.

Buy the shield. Add an apex trigger and striker. Maybe new sights and you have the smallest fighting pistol on the market.

Also check out mag guts to get +1 round in the factory mags
View Quote

After all that, you will still have an $600 "base" model M&P that's not much more concealable than the C model.  Not an issue, just what it is.

What exactly is a "fighting pistol"?  

Pistols are generally defensive weapons.  If a "fighting pistol" is what you seek, I could list no less than 20 other choices that would be vastly superior than these two options.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Shield. Striker fired gun for carry IMO.

Price matters for me too.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

One hang up, I can't find a decent IWB holster for the P938 so I think I will settle with the Shield.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^^

Hope this is useful.

Crossbreed makes a great IWB. I love mine.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Amen!  So glad you said it. When I shot my first Glock close to 30 years ago, I said my cordless drill had a better trigger.  And I'll stand by that statement.  But all of the striker fired guns are better today than they were then and none of them will ever have the trigger of a fine 1911 or Colt Python.  That's just a reality.  Not a critique or a judgment.  They are defensive handguns.  Shoot them.  Shoot them a lot.  You'll never worry about whether your pull weight is 4.87 lbs or 7.29 lbs if you have to fire it for real.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 4:05:09 AM EDT
[#43]
UPDATE: Got the Shield
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Sig 938 is overpriced, finicky and has spotty QC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top