Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2015 1:32:13 AM EDT
I understand that it's the size of a glock 17 and concealment could be a chore. That's not what concerns me.

Most striker fired pistols are double action. The vp9 is billed as being single action. Having handled one in person I can definitely believe it. The trigger is the smoothest I've ever encountered in a striker fired weapon.

This gives me pause, however. It has no safety which wouldn't concern me were it double action. But carrying this pistol chambered would seem to be the equivalent of carrying a 1911 cocked and unlocked if said 1911 had a 5.5 pound trigger. Is it just me, or does that just seem ill advised?
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 2:03:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

This gives me pause, however. It has no safety which wouldn't concern me were it double action. But carrying this pistol chambered would seem to be the equivalent of carrying a 1911 cocked and unlocked if said 1911 had a 5.5 pound trigger. Is it just me, or does that just seem ill advised?
View Quote

It's no different than carrying a Glock or any other striker fired gun without a thumb safety IMHO.  With a good holster it's a non-issue to me.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 4:25:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I understand that it's the size of a glock 17 and concealment could be a chore. That's not what concerns me.

Most striker fired pistols are double action. The vp9 is billed as being single action. Having handled one in person I can definitely believe it. The trigger is the smoothest I've ever encountered in a striker fired weapon.

View Quote

You do realize that you have to press the trigger for the pistol to fire ? Right ? What is your training and background with firearms if you don't mind me asking ?
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:10:55 AM EDT
[#3]
use a holster and you'll be fine.  booger hook + bangswitch=kapow
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:06:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I carry mine
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd carry it in a good holster.  Just like any other gun.

IF they'd make it the same size as a P2000.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#6]
It doesn't bother me.  The biggest risk of an AD with these is during reholstering.  Use a quality holster that doesn't have floppy bits, and don't get in a hurry to reholster.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It doesn't bother me.  The biggest risk of an AD with these is during reholstering.  Use a quality holster that doesn't have floppy bits, and don't get in a hurry to reholster.
View Quote

I never got hurrying up a reholster....  If you feel the need to carry on an empty chamber and you feel like you will have an ND you are doing it all wrong.

Like above posters if you follow the 4 rules especially Finger off trigger till you are ready to fire you will be fine.  I also suggest you get professional training, watch some youtube videos of proper gun handling, and relax it is only a gun not a magical device that magically shoot themselves.

You have thousands of years of carrying experience here combined and none of us have problems.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I use the VP9 with a Kramer Leather OWB holster as an EDC and it is comfortable and fairly easy to conceal.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's no different than carrying a Glock or any other striker fired gun without a thumb safety IMHO.  With a good holster it's a non-issue to me.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand, and I always carried my M&P45c, open or concealed, chambered and it had no safety.  No issue for me.  The only reason I asked the question is that it's literally the only single action firearm I know of that the manufacturer intends to be carried with no manual safety.  It seemed like a break in the normal trend.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#10]
The PPQ is also fully pre-loaded.  

Both the VP9 and the PPQ, as well as Glock, M&P, SA, Inc. and FN (probably others) use some sort of a passive safety on the trigger to prevent inadvertent trigger pulls.  True SAOs don't.  

Although some raise an eyebrow at the VP9 and PPQ relatively light trigger pull weights, people have been tweaking their Glocks and M&Ps at least as low as the H&K/Walther factory pulls for years/decades.  

Personally, I've just started carrying my PPQ sometimes instead of my old P229.  I'm very used to holstering with my thumb on the hammer as an extra safety layer.  Not having that ability on the PPQ, I am much more aware of my holstering process with the PPQ.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry one, before that I carried a PPQ before that a Glock.

I use a good holster on a good belt, both VERY important. And has been said, NEVER be in a hurry to re-holster.

I use a Blade-Tech Nano and conceal my VP9 just fine. I dress to carry. When I need to carry more discreetly I use a Shield but rarely.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I understand, and I always carried my M&P45c, open or concealed, chambered and it had no safety.  No issue for me.  The only reason I asked the question is that it's literally the only single action firearm I know of that the manufacturer intends to be carried with no manual safety.  It seemed like a break in the normal trend.
View Quote

You are getting concerned over the terminoligy for nothing.  The VP9 is really no different than your M&P or an XD.  All are precocked strikers that are released with the pull of the trigger.  There may be some slight movement in the striker to the rear for some to get away with the term double action.  In reality the stiker is held back by the sear when the slide is cycled.  The pull of the trigger moves the sear off of the striker which in reality is single action.   David
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd he more concerned with the size of the thing.  They need to make an SK model.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You are getting concerned over the terminoligy for nothing.  The VP9 is really no different than your M&P or an XD.  All are precocked strikers that are released with the pull of the trigger.  There may be some slight movement in the striker to the rear for some to get away with the term double action.  In reality the stiker is held back by the sear when the slide is cycled.  The pull of the trigger moves the sear off of the striker which in reality is single action.   David
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK I understand now.  Basically the slight movement of the striker in these guns is a gimmick that allows the manufacturer to claim its double action.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'd he more concerned with the size of the thing.  They need to make an SK model.
View Quote

I'm hoping for a compact model myself.  Something along the size of a G19
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 10:50:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually really like the size of the SK models.  They seem to be somewhere between the size of a 26 and a 19, easy to get a great grip on, but small enough that they can be carried in any clothing.

Here is a photoshop that has been floating around that I think would be ideal.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I actually really like the size of the SK models.  They seem to be somewhere between the size of a 26 and a 19, easy to get a great grip on, but small enough that they can be carried in any clothing.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/attachments/hk-handgun-talk/30677d1427920202-not-april-fools-vp4-1-but-sneak-peak-vp9sk-hk-vp9-left-grip-ext..jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/attachments/hk-handgun-talk/30677d1427920202-not-april-fools-vp4-1-but-sneak-peak-vp9sk-hk-vp9-left-grip-ext..jpg

That would be the bees knees, as long as either the grip is long enough that my pinky isn't hanging off, or at least if the mags had a grip extension for the pinky (similar to M&P9c).
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like it, hopefully they will make it in the next 5 years.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:27:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I carried mine most of the day today in an MTAC. I'll probably carry it more as the weather is getting cooler. I tend to carry a G26 aiwb in hot weather.

To answer your question,  I'm not too worried about the pecularities of the trigger. I either re holster slowly and carefully at the range or if I am carrying aiwb, I take the holster off, reholster and then put the holster back on. I find it easier and safer to take what I wish to carry, load it, place it in the holster and then put the holster on. If god forbid, I ever have to use my CCW, I imagine reholsteriing  will be the least of my worries.

The VP9 is a great pistol. I think of it as what a Glock could be if Glock wasn't so content to rest on their laurels with a great but aged design.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:39:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I carry mine
View Quote
Every damn day.

VP9 and reload in a Nightingale Leather Osprey OWB holster.  Easy to wear, easy to conceal.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice rig!
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 5:09:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Every damn day.  

VP9 and reload in a Nightingale Leather Osprey OWB holster.  Easy to wear, easy to conceal.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k584/Osnola_Kinnard/3e490e12190136ec3c26eb4a55da6df0_zpspiell5mj.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I carry mine
Every damn day.  

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k584/Osnola_Kinnard/3e490e12190136ec3c26eb4a55da6df0_zpspiell5mj.jpg

NOOOOOO !!!! Polymer should never be carried in leather Nice holster and mag pouch though
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:18:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I carry a Glock, so.......Yes, I'd carry a vp9 as well.

Just no reason i see to take the plunge due to being heavily invested in the Glock platform.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Any of you guys ever try to carry IWB?  I'm sure it would be a challenge, just wondering how much of a challenge.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Any of you guys ever try to carry IWB?  I'm sure it would be a challenge, just wondering how much of a challenge.
View Quote

I've carried a G26 w/ G19 mags, an HK P2000SK and a VP9 in an AIWB holster.

Both testicles (and everything else) are still in tact.

If you are not completely confident in your trigger finger discipline, it's probably not for you....and you should strongly consider more training/practice until it's etched in stone in your mind.

Proper holster choices matter as well. I like the INCOG's.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I actually carried my P30 (same size) in an IWB rig over the weekend.  No challenge at all.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
NOOOOOO !!!! Polymer should never be carried in leather Nice holster and mag pouch though

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I carry mine
Every damn day.  

LOL...thanks.  I have a couple of Safari land 578 GLS holsters as well...but those will get used for open carry starting January 1.

I wish I'd have gotten a 2 mag carrier though...will probably get one around Christmas time.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I carry mine in a kydex pancake style holster IWB at about 3 o'clock. I use Comptac clips on the wings for easy on/off and it stays put.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:46:00 AM EDT
[#29]
I've only held and shot them--never carried.
To me, the outside is too big and the inside is too complex.  

That said, for people who don't care to fiddle around with their guns completely apart, and who don't mind the size, I think it's my favorite HK so far (though the P2000 and USPs were nice).

I also hear the SigP320 and CZP09/07 are also great guns as well, but so far I haven't had any time with EITHER.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 1:23:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Carried my G26 IWB for a year, now my VP9 in a Nightingale IWB.

It's a bit heavier than the G26 but so comfortable to hold and shoot with a few more rounds, I love it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've only held and shot them--never carried.
To me, the outside is too big and the inside is too complex.  

That said, for people who don't care to fiddle around with their guns completely apart, and who don't mind the size, I think it's my favorite HK so far (though the P2000 and USPs were nice).

I also hear the SigP320 and CZP09/07 are also great guns as well, but so far I haven't had any time with EITHER.
View Quote

I looked at the poly CZs but they suffer from fat slide syndrome. The alloy compacts like the PCR would be the way to go IMO.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top