User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Poll fail no option for spare gun.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I only carry a spare mag when carrying my pocket .380 (6+1).  No spare mag with my .40 (9+1).
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have a spare tire in case one goes flat, not because you need five tires... and stop fucking saying "clips!"
View Quote

Hahaha! Yeah, I hate that shit too! Unless you're carrying an M1 Garand around... you don't carry spare fucking, "clips!"
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hahaha! Yeah, I hate that shit too! Unless you're carrying an M1 Garand around... you don't carry spare fucking, "clips!"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You have a spare tire in case one goes flat, not because you need five tires... and stop fucking saying "clips!"

I could be carrying my Mauser C96 that uses clips!

CD

Link Posted: 10/23/2015 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone who has seen recent happenings on TV and doesn't carry extra ammo is a fool.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am confident 6+1 or 8+1 is plenty, but I always carry a spare mag if possible
View Quote

8+1, plus a spare mag, but more for if the first magazine fails. If I empty both magazines, I am probably shot full of holes.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

CD

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

Or a revolver with moon clips.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Spare mag since I live in a 10rd state.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

CD

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

Hahahah, yep, you got me on that one! You know I almost listed it too along side the M1 but didn't think anyone in this forum would know what that is. As usual, I'm wrong. I would like to shoot one of those old broom handle 10 shot pistols though!
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I not only carry spare ammo I also carry a spare gun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can anyone here provide data of how many CCW shootings have needed more than one magazine? Has anyone EVER done a mag change in a CCW defensive scenario?

Not that I'm against carrying an extra mag, but I kinda get a little when I hear about people carrying a Glock 19 and 2 extra mags. I mean sure, I'd like to have a few more bullets, but in all reality when are we going to need more than what we carry in a defensive scenario? I mean good god, carrying nearly 50rnds on your person, what the heck kind of job/neighborhood are you in?
View Quote

One concern I've had is getting into scuffle with a perp and having a fight over the pistol.  I always thought there is a good likelyhood the mag release could be accidently or intentionally hit.  If I end up with the pistol and the mag is on the ground I like having an extra mag on my person so I can get my pistol reloaded.  This is even more critcal if the pistol has a magazine disconnect like the 39/59 series S&W....
View Quote

I got into a fight with a guy some time back while trying to arrest him (its been nearly 18 years ago now...wow I am getting old) and during the scuffle he tried to get my duty gun (a Beretta 92) out of my duty holster.  He ended up releasing the magazine while we fought over the gun and blows were exchanged.  Once I managed to break free I seriously considered shooting him either with the one round in my duty gun or with my backup, but in the end I managed to get him into a choke hold and he gave up and I cuffed him.  I was pretty new to law enforcement then, about 18 months on the street.  Had that happened later in my career I probably would have shot him.  I probably should have, but it worked out.  I can see how something similar might happen to a CCW holder and it is probably a perfectly valid reason to carry a spare magazine.

I've gotten slack in the last couple of years, for a long time I carried both a primary and secondary gun and spare ammo for each off-duty.  Now that I'm not working the street anymore and armed encounters are not a regular sort of thing in my work life I'm sorry to admit that I have slacked off in my non-work life when it comes to carry.  I usually only carry a SP101 and 5 or 10 spare rounds in speed strips now.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:27:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I got into a fight with a guy some time back while trying to arrest him (its been nearly 18 years ago now...wow I am getting old) and during the scuffle he tried to get my duty gun (a Beretta 92) out of my duty holster.  He ended up releasing the magazine while we fought over the gun and blows were exchanged.  Once I managed to break free I seriously considered shooting him either with the one round in my duty gun or with my backup, but in the end I managed to get him into a choke hold and he gave up and I cuffed him.  I was pretty new to law enforcement then, about 18 months on the street.  Had that happened later in my career I probably would have shot him.  I probably should have, but it worked out.  I can see how something similar might happen to a CCW holder and it is probably a perfectly valid reason to carry a spare magazine.

I've gotten slack in the last couple of years, for a long time I carried both a primary and secondary gun and spare ammo for each off-duty.  Now that I'm not working the street anymore and armed encounters are not a regular sort of thing in my work life I'm sorry to admit that I have slacked off in my non-work life when it comes to carry.  I usually only carry a SP101 and 5 or 10 spare rounds in speed strips now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can anyone here provide data of how many CCW shootings have needed more than one magazine? Has anyone EVER done a mag change in a CCW defensive scenario?

Not that I'm against carrying an extra mag, but I kinda get a little when I hear about people carrying a Glock 19 and 2 extra mags. I mean sure, I'd like to have a few more bullets, but in all reality when are we going to need more than what we carry in a defensive scenario? I mean good god, carrying nearly 50rnds on your person, what the heck kind of job/neighborhood are you in?

One concern I've had is getting into scuffle with a perp and having a fight over the pistol.  I always thought there is a good likelyhood the mag release could be accidently or intentionally hit.  If I end up with the pistol and the mag is on the ground I like having an extra mag on my person so I can get my pistol reloaded.  This is even more critcal if the pistol has a magazine disconnect like the 39/59 series S&W....

Thats a great point that I've never thought off. I bounce part time(I do not carry at work) and could definitely invision something like the above. Last Thursdays scuffle had several hands arounds my waist line.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:57:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Back when a lot of Officers carried S&W 39/59 semi autos and Browning Hi Powers with magazine disconnect safties it was stressed to have at least one spare mag.  If you get in a struggle and the mag ends up on the ground and you end up with the pistol you have a serviceable weapon with a spare mag.  Without the mag the pistol will not be as easy for the perp to get a round off.

I'll concede I should have added moon or half moon clips for revolver spare ammo.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#14]
So I guess I need a couple of extra clips for my Glock?
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

So I guess I need a couple of extra clips for my Glock?
View Quote
I'd get magazines..........

Link Posted: 10/29/2015 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I've carried a spare mag since day one. I see quite a few posts about not finding something comfortable. It will eventually come to the point where it's not even noticed. Buy quality and it'll make the experience a more pleasurable one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 12:41:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe because if you do discharge your weapon in defense, you want to top it off ASAP. Scan for additional threats, and deal with it if there are more. I'd rather do that with a topped off weapon, not one half or completely empty. It's just prudent.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top