Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2015 10:03:00 AM EDT
This is for the wife, replacing her ancient P85 Ruger. I want something lighter and more modern for her. Her only stipulation is that it needs to be 9mm and have a manual safety.

I was thinking about the Walther PPX, but no manual safety.

Any police surplus pistols out there right now I should look at?
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#1]
S&W SD9VE

ETA:  saw external safety req.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#2]
EAA SAR B6   $259 in black

Or the B6P.

You do not say what She will use it for, the P89 is a large pistol, the 111G2 is a compact.

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#3]
$249 shipped here for the 3.8 Sar B6P (NOTE PIC IS WRONG GUN)
b6p compact

or get a polish P83 in 9x18.  They are phenomenal.  Wideners used to have em for $200 shipped
P83 topic thread here
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:42:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
S&W SD9VE

ETA:  saw external safety req.
View Quote

In that case, maybe the Ruger 9E. Grab a gun has them for $331.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#6]
S&W 6906.  Great gun, alloy frame, 12+1.  DA trigger can be a little heavy but sometimes you can find them lightly used or police trade-ins.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
S&W 6906.  Great gun, alloy frame, 12+1.  DA trigger can be a little heavy but sometimes you can find them lightly used or police trade-ins.
View Quote

so... replace an ancient ruger with an ancient s&w?  

i'm very happy with my pt111 g2.  $200 very well spent.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Look for ati 92 (american tactical beretta 92) 100% parts match and its a freaking match of beretta performance. They can be found sometimes for 300 and just under. Those who buy them rarely give them up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought the PT111, we shall see how it goes. Comes in this Friday.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:33:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  Look for ati 92 (american tactical beretta 92) 100% parts match and its a freaking match of beretta performance. They can be found sometimes for 300 and just under. Those who buy them rarely give them up.
View Quote

That's good to know, thanks.  The 92 finally made it to platform status.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Should've gotten a Ruger 9E. They're available for $300 shipped if you look around. I had two PT111 G2's that worked fine for the 100 rounds each I put through them but I decided I wanted something higher quality and found a killer deal on a used 9E.

Btw, you can get 17 round mags that work with the Taurus, I believe they're the non G2 24/7 mags but you'll need to research to make sure.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow.  Your wife is only worth $300 to you.  Friends don't let friends carry Taurus...but wives are okay?

And YOU want something lighter for HER.  She doesn't get a say?  You really should've taken her to an LGS, let her handle a bunch.  Narrow it down to 3 she likes.  Then rent them for a range session and buy her the one she shoots the best.  

Unless that's a Taurus.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Look for ati 92 (american tactical beretta 92) 100% parts match and its a freaking match of beretta performance. They can be found sometimes for 300 and just under. Those who buy them rarely give them up.
View Quote

you've said this before too and cannot provide anywhere I can purchase one for that price.  Also they are not ATI, they are Chiappa and they are made by Girsan in Turkey.  Show me one for $300 or less and I'm in, in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I picked up a PT111 G2 when Palmetto had them for $199 shipped.  It is a very nice handgun.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wow.  Your wife is only worth $300 to you.  Friends don't let friends carry Taurus...but wives are okay?

And YOU want something lighter for HER.  She doesn't get a say?  You really should've taken her to an LGS, let her handle a bunch.  Narrow it down to 3 she likes.  Then rent them for a range session and buy her the one she shoots the best.  

Unless that's a Taurus.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"I want something lighter and more modern for her. Her only stipulation is that it needs to be 9mm and have a manual safety."

Third generation Smiths were made long after the P85 was discontinued (actually updated to the P89).  The 6906 is considerably more compact than a P85 and at 26oz unloaded I'm going to assume it's lighter.  It's also a 9mm with a manual safety.  While it's not a 21st century polymer wonder gun, for the price being referenced by the OP it would be a viable alternative.  

Ever shoot one?
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

"I want something lighter and more modern for her. Her only stipulation is that it needs to be 9mm and have a manual safety."

Third generation Smiths were made long after the P85 was discontinued (actually updated to the P89).  The 6906 is considerably more compact than a P85 and at 26oz unloaded I'm going to assume it's lighter.  It's also a 9mm with a manual safety.  While it's not a 21st century polymer wonder gun, for the price being referenced by the OP it would be a viable alternative.  

Ever shoot one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever shoot one?

ok, ya got me.  I have no experience with the 6906, aside from a quick gunbroker search to confirm that they're pretty tricky to find anywhere south of $300.  For some reason, I thought it'd be more fun to give a smartass response rather than call "over the line!" on the cost of the pistol.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

you've said this before too and cannot provide anywhere I can purchase one for that price.  Also they are not ATI, they are Chiappa and they are made by Girsan in Turkey.  Show me one for $300 or less and I'm in, in a heartbeat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ati 92 that was the beretta 92 clone was made by mke in turkey. I bought mine new for 299 and ive seen them from time to time for 250. They are not imported anymore. I dont know what chippa makes nor would i buy one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#19]
S&W Shield in 9mm or 40 is on sale right now at Quantico Tactical for $299 with or without manual safety.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Should've gotten a Ruger 9E. They're available for $300 shipped if you look around. I had two PT111 G2's that worked fine for the 100 rounds each I put through them but I decided I wanted something higher quality and found a killer deal on a used 9E.

Btw, you can get 17 round mags that work with the Taurus, I believe they're the non G2 24/7 mags but you'll need to research to make sure.
View Quote

Sig mags fit it. Forget which ones but I'm thinking P226.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

ok, ya got me.  I have no experience with the 6906, aside from a quick gunbroker search to confirm that they're pretty tricky to find anywhere south of $300.  For some reason, I thought it'd be more fun to give a smartass response rather than call "over the line!" on the cost of the pistol.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever shoot one?

FYI - I also have a PT111 and I love it.  The 6906 is a fan favorite of my daughters when they shoot and I was just trying to give options . . .
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The ati 92 that was the beretta 92 clone was made by mke in turkey. I bought mine new for 299 and ive seen them from time to time for 250. They are not imported anymore. I dont know what chippa makes nor would i buy one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well FYI they are the same gun, both made by Girsan...in Turkey and Canada they call it the Girsan Yavuz.  Now instead of ATI, they say Chiappa on 'em.  Next time you see one south of $300 PM me with the quickness.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Is this something she will carry?

LC9s can be had in that price range.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Unless that's a Taurus.

View Quote

Troll much?
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

9E is the same as the SR9 she used to carry, she couldnt rack the slide very well.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Troll much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless that's a Taurus.

Troll much?

Not at all. I stand by my statement as the best advice given in this thread.

ETA:  I should've said "Unless it's a Taurus, Kel-Tec, or Hi-Point"
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless that's a Taurus.

Troll much?

Normally, I'm not a Taurus fan myself. However, for this application I'm not looking for something super expensive. This is a truck gun that happens to stay in my wifes truck while she's on farms, I dont need some $500+ gun getting dropped in the mud or left wet in the toolbox.

This seems to be not only one of the best reviewed Taurus pistols, it seems to be one of the hottest little pistols on the market right now.

I'm sure there are thousands of Taurus and Kel Tech owners that will disagree with your position. Hell, my little $500 Kahr P380 has not been the most reliable pistol on the planet, but my P3AT sure was.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Taurus has a life time warranty.

3 friends purchased this gun with no issues. First shot is long but way better then the BP9 or the SD9 which I have shot. For the money you can not go wrong and guess what it takes big boy 17 round full size mags too!

I love the haters. Guess what this gun can double strike! Hell my M&P doesn't even do that!
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 3:18:19 AM EDT
[#29]
It's funny how people knock on Taurus when I call bs every gun manufacture has its lemons as I learned today. with my friends s&w performance center revolver cylinder locked up on us and had to call range master over to help resolve issue does that scare me away from s&w no I'm still going to buy the mp9 when the funds come available. And in the six years owing some type of Taurus 0 issues and over 3000 rounds across three firearms.but i have to say I can't see dropping 900 on a s&w performance center for that price I expect perfection every time or at least keep up with rugar or Taurus on quality it looked nice till it came to shooting it lol and I love love love the mp line so the make great weapons.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 5:22:12 AM EDT
[#30]
OP, be sure and clean firing pin channel out. Friend has one and had a few light strikes until doing so.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#31]
My PT111 G2, and my dad's have been flawless. Very comfortable grip, and the trigger is decent. Great size for concealed carry too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Should have went with the shield from Quantico or somewhere for $299
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Taurus has a life time warranty.

3 friends purchased this gun with no issues. First shot is long but way better then the BP9 or the SD9 which I have shot. For the money you can not go wrong and guess what it takes big boy 17 round full size mags too!

I love the haters. Guess what this gun can double strike! Hell my M&P doesn't even do that!
View Quote

From many of the stories I have heard, including first hand ones, their warranty is not worth the paper it is printed on.

So OP wanted a more modern, lighter... truck gun??
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
EAA SAR B6   $259 in black

Or the B6P.

You do not say what She will use it for, the P89 is a large pistol, the 111G2 is a compact.

View Quote

This is what I have and it's been excellent.  Lot of gun for the money, the full size takes CZ75 mags with a little sanding on the plastic floor plates.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Unless that's a Taurus.

View Quote

I have owned 3 semi auto Taurus , all had issues , yes there is a warranty but customer service is poor and slow turnaround.
Spend a few extra shekels and buy something decent - I would try one of those Turkish CZ clones before I bought another pistol made by Taurus

And to anybody that says "it the hottest thing going " hi point always sells pretty well too - so does anything at this price point
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Shield?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top