Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2015 7:26:06 PM EDT
*Reposted

From the range trip the other day.

Two great .40's head to head at 7 yards. Most of the peripheral shots are from the BHP. To be fair it has a more challenging trigger which is crisp but heavy. The body shots were fired as fast as the front sight could be acquired. The head shots as fast as the front sight could be acquired and centered in the rear.
20150901_102944_LLS by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

12 shots x3 center mass with the CZ then 12x to the high target.

10 shots x3 center mass with the Browning then 10x high.

Next I tried "The Test" which is 10 shots in 10 seconds at 10 yards from the ready with a reload at an NRA 25 yard target. It's harder than it sounds.
20150901_103325_LLS by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

Dropped one with the CZ (in double action) and was a little slow. Dropped a few with the Browning. More practice needed with these guns (the Browning is the wife's and this is one of the few times I've used it), but I'm almost there with the CZ.

I like to end with some snub nose action with the carry guns and their ammo. That tends to be pretty consistent, even after getting a bit shaky with all the 40 shooting.

20150901_103050_LLS by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

The clean holes are 158gr Remington Golden Saber +P out of the Airweight. The soft edged holes are Hornady XTP 125gr Magnums out of the Bodyguard 357.

After all that, I fired one more quick mag out of the Browning and got called out for "rapid firing."

Oh well. It was a productive and enlightening day anyhow. I need to keep my hands off the wife's gun. I'm really starting to like it.

Near the end I tried shooting at 20 yards with the CZ in slow fire. After a few rounds I just couldn't hold the gun steady anymore and my group shifted up after resetting. The next few shots were thrown randomly. Oh well. It looked promising for a minute. That was a good time to quit. I think that's the key to .40S&W practice...shoot no more than you can comfortably handle. Once pain sets in and form breaks down there is nothing to be gained.

"The Test" attempts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W0JlXF_wsA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eow_fNNdtcs
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#2]
concur

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Sigh...

Heretics
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a good time.  Thank you for sharing.  Yeah, the hipower triggers....  heavy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:07:06 AM EDT
[#6]
For future reference, The Test is typically shot on a B-8 repair center, and a reload is not required. 90/100 is passing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For future reference, The Test is typically shot on a B-8 repair center, and a reload is not required. 90/100 is passing.
View Quote

Cool. That's the way the pro's did it on a video I watched (reload). I guess they were showing off...lol. Either way, my attempt with the Browning was pretty terrible in comparison. I'll have to get some of those targets. My miss with the CZ pretty much screwed me, anyway.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well shit, you're shooting a CZ. That's like cheating....
View Quote

But the power of the fowty Schmidt and Westerner is so hawd!

A little bit.

In a practical sense the guns shot similarly. When shooting under pressure the CZ really shines for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top