Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2015 1:09:26 PM EDT
If you had to choose between the Ruger 9E and the S&W SD9VE which would you chosse?
or if you own one or both what are your though?
thanks
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:25:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm personally not a huge fan of Ruger autos and guys on here have had good things to say about that S&W. If I was going today to pick one I'd bring the S&W home.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I own the SD9 and the SR9.  I prefer the Smith by a large margin.  Better sights, better trigger, no teeny little safety lever, just all around more comfortable and pleasant to shoot.  Apex makes a trigger kit for it, which is well worth the $20.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Sd9ve is awesome.  Here is mine with epoxy painted slide, pachmayr M&P grip, M&P OEM rear sight, and tac light
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The S&W would be what I would choose and then just remove 1 spring so it does not have a 9 million # trigger.

On a side note I bought my M&P used years back for cheaper than the SD.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for the non-Glock Glock.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#6]
The only reason to pick the 9e would be if your hands are small, or skinny.

The SD9VE (and original SD9) is a better feeling pistol and is a solid choice.

That is unless you are looking at the Sig Pro 2022, then choose that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I would pick the SD9VE out of the two options.

The SR9E is a decent pistol, but it only comes with one magazine making the difference in price between it and a Regular SR9 pretty much nothing if you are buying an extra mag for the 9E.

I have collection of 9mm's and I actually like the SD9VE quite a bit.  It was pretty nice in stock form but after replacing a few springs and polishing a few parts it now has a nice trigger pull comparable to a Glock with a 3.5# connector and a polish job.

I now own a SD9VE and a SD40VE and my Brother bought a SD40VE after shooting mine.  All the SDVE's I have been around have been reliable guns that are service pistol accurate.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:39:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Why is your choice between those?  Is it a price point? If it's price people are raving about the $200 g2 pt111. I would also suggest looking for a ATI 92, they are usually 200-250 and are 100% Beretta 92 parts and mag match. I love mine, never failed once, accurate, Great trigger.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:19:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Looked at both and bought the S&W.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
a ATI 92, they are usually 200-250
View Quote

where?  I'll buy one right now
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The only reason to pick the 9e would be if your hands are small, or skinny.

The SD9VE (and original SD9) is a better feeling pistol and is a solid choice.

That is unless you are looking at the Sig Pro 2022, then choose that.
View Quote

This.  

I'd try and find a deal on a Sig 2022 first.  Next would be the SD9VE.

Even cheaper is that Taurus that can be had for $200 right now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Taurus as a manufacturer isn't up to the same quality standards as Ruger and S&W.   I'd much rather have a budget offering from the latter than a "premium" offering from the former.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:47:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Even cheaper is that Taurus that can be had for $200 right now.
View Quote

Don't even think about buying a Taurus.  Forget it.

Get the Smith & Wesson.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Bought a SD40VE a couple months ago and it has been a good gun---was $50 cheaper and came with an extra mag vs the 9E---------------if Ruger still made the P95--I would have bought that instead.

Bought the Taurus PT111 G2 about a week ago------haven't shot it yet, probably will tomorrow---seems a decent enough gun though---esp considering the low price

Have been buying some of the cheaper guns mainly for a little variety ----my G19's are boringly reliable and accurate. But these cheap guns have been good so far---I'd almost welcome a malf to give me a problem to solve and work on.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got both, the early sr9 got sent back and replaced when the frame cracked in half. The replacement sr9 has held up well but jams on tula steel case frequently. The sr9 has a refined feel, and the grip is very slender.

The sd9ve is well proportioned, and has a simple mechanism internally. The trigger pull is not very good, although it can be improved it will probably not be competitive with the sr9. I'd vote the sr9.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the SR9 and SR9e and never had an issue with either. I bought the 9e as a truck gun. I have several mags for my SR9 that can be used for the 9e.

I also have the sig 2022.  Inshoot the sig the best followed by the SR9 then the 9e.

Just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#17]
good reading here:
sd9ve 2000rds test
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#18]
For the money the S&W is a great gun.

I will testify it will run side by side with the Glock for durable and dependable shooting.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 3:24:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I have an sr9c. I would buy the ruger in a heartbeat. Great line of pistols on a budget. BTW I picked mine up new in box for $300.00 from an individual. Might want to shop around.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:43:43 AM EDT
[#20]
When shopping for the wife a carry gun, she and I shot all them. SR9C and MP 9C with ambitious safety. Chose the MP 9C because I have a 9 PRO. The Ruger was nice though, safety was small though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Ruger. Out of the box it's a better gun.

The SD has a terrible trigger and feels cheap.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:30:04 PM EDT
[#22]
The Smith, by a mile.  Great gun, really great for the money.  

I would however look hard for a ruger P95 if price was the driving point.  Those are cheap and indestructible.

Do not buy a Taurus, shit guns and shit CS also.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 6:42:29 AM EDT
[#23]
New guy to the forum.  

SD9 all the way. Our first pistol 2 yrs. ago was an SD9 and my wife and I haven't regretted it one bit. She has a small hand and still loves it even after much practice/training w/her Shield 9 and my M&P 9 FS. The trigger wasn't an issue for us as we didn't have any comparison use, we just learned to run it as is. It's now well broken in (~1.5-2k rounds) and sits proudly in our nightstand. It's my backup CC weapon when the wife takes my FS (w/Apex trigger) for training, TWAW or as a beginning competitor. Honestly, we have recommended the SD9 many times to friends and others looking for an economical first gun.

My only complaint is the takedown catch. For my arthritic hands/fingers it's kinda hard to hold slide back and push both sides of the catch down to release the slide. I think there's a mod to improve that and may do that soon.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My only complaint is the takedown catch. For my arthritic hands/fingers it's kinda hard to hold slide back and push both sides of the catch down to release the slide. I think there's a mod to improve that and may do that soon.

View Quote

the glock one is a drop-in FYI
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#25]
If the Ruger was available without the safety, and preferably a stainless slide, I would go with it. However, as they sit today I'd go with the SD9.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top