Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 4:44:16 PM EDT
So this was shot at 8 yards with my G17.  Draw, fire a double, repeat.  About 32 rounds total.  Par time: around 3.5 seconds.  I know, I'm slow.

Had some flyers when I tried to speed it up.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd say you're doing pretty good!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#3]
    nice
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Good shooting.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I've been shooting every week religiously all summer trying get over a bad flinch I've always had.  The groups are still a little low left.  Getting better though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm at the range 2-3 times every week and I'll say that's far better than most.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are new to handguns my best advice is to slow down until 7 yard groups are no more than about 1.5" consistently and you have firmly engrained the fundamentals in your subconscious then speed up from there. It much easier to get an accurate shooter to speed up than a fast inaccurate shooter to tighten groups. That being said your shooting is not bad based on the picture.
I attended a course with Larry vickers last year and his opinion based on many years of experience was under stress defending yourself ( assuming this is the point of your exercise)  expect your group to double to triple in size over your range size. So if you have a four to five inch group ( like yours is) expect your under stress group to be 10-15 inches wide. Now if you factor in an opponent bladed to you rather than facing a significant number of your shots wod then be misses
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Good shootin'!!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are new to handguns my best advice is to slow down until 7 yard groups are no more than about 1.5" consistently and you have firmly engrained the fundamentals in your subconscious then speed up from there. It much easier to get an accurate shooter to speed up than a fast inaccurate shooter to tighten groups. That being said your shooting is not bad based on the picture.
I attended a course with Larry vickers last year and his opinion based on many years of experience was under stress defending yourself ( assuming this is the point of your exercise)  expect your group to double to triple in size over your range size. So if you have a four to five inch group ( like yours is) expect your under stress group to be 10-15 inches wide. Now if you factor in an opponent bladed to you rather than facing a significant number of your shots wod then be misses
View Quote

Not new to shooting but new to taking it seriously.  Frankly, I just get bored shooting for groups all the time.  I do limit my speed to maintain good form.  Also, my flinch anticipation is the worst when I'm shooting for pure accuracy.  It gives my brain time to fuck with me.  When I shoot under pressure, not so much.

If could totally eliminate my damn flinch/anticipation my groups would improve.  Working on it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Keep shooting, keep pushing yourself harder, make it increasingly more difficult, do not shoot from a static position, etc etc just keep practicing.........
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not new to shooting but new to taking it seriously.  Frankly, I just get bored shooting for groups all the time.  I do limit my speed to maintain good form.  Also, my flinch anticipation is the worst when I'm shooting for pure accuracy.  It gives my brain time to fuck with me.  When I shoot under pressure, not so much.

If could totally eliminate my damn flinch/anticipation my groups would improve.  Working on it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

bored shooting paper. go find a uspsa or idpa match and have some fun
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Accuracy is acceptable (assuming they were all on that plate ), but the time is...slow.  Even from concealment, draw and fire 2 at 8 yards should be more like 2 seconds.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Accuracy is acceptable (assuming they were all on that plate ), but the time is...slow.  Even from concealment, draw and fire 2 at 8 yards should be more like 2 seconds.
View Quote

At that speed they would be all over the plate.  Jerry Miculek I'm not.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I would like to also add.... OP setup multiple plates at different heights and different spacings and go to work on shooting 1-2 times at each plate and transition to the next repeat over and over till mags is empty.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Group shooting fundamentals is the drudgery that results in better performance in the long run. No good thing comes without effort or so the saying goes.
One of the keys to good shooting is blocking out all distraction and focusing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Group shooting fundamentals is the drudgery that results in better performance in the long run. No good thing comes without effort or so the saying goes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:45:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Better then mine
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:45:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Otherwise known as "being in the zone".  I get there on rare occasions. Actually one of the reasons I enjoy shooting is I think of nothing else while doing it.  

Nothing else besides: squeeze hard with support hand, pick up front sight during press out, front sight front sight, don't flinch, press the trigger, don't blink, follow the front sight through recoil, .
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Accuracy comes easy but speed and accuracy takes practice.

While out shooting a couple 40S&W pistols I don't shoot enough these days I decided to try "The Test" drill (demonstrated at 2:50 below). It's a simple drill that can be practiced anywhere. 10 shots in 10 seconds at 10 yards from the ready with a reload for good measure at an NRA 25 yard target. It's harder than it looks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIl912RdZC8

I think I'd have better luck with a pistol I shoot more, but it's good to challenge ones self. On one run I dropped one and ran slow. On another a few shots were dropped and the time was close, but still not good enough. It's fun and easy to do at any range so I'll keep at it until it is as easy as those guys make it look.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For him it would be under one second.  Probably a .7-.8 draw and .15 or so split.

I'm not the fastest guy around by any means, but I'm working on it.  With my USPSA gear at 8 yards I should be able to do a dismal 1.2-1.3 draw and .18-.20 split, so around 1.5 total.  Concealment adds about half a second, maybe a little more.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#23]
What did that paper plate ever do to you?  Paper plates matter!  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Keep it up.
View Quote

Please don't perpetuate this nonsense.

Slow is slow.  Fast is fast.

Smooth can be either slow or fast.

The people who parrot that phrase are just slow.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

For him it would be under one second.  Probably a .7-.8 draw and .15 or so split.

I'm not the fastest guy around by any means, but I'm working on it.  With my USPSA gear at 8 yards I should be able to do a dismal 1.2-1.3 draw and .18-.20 split, so around 1.5 total.  Concealment adds about half a second, maybe a little more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of accuracy do you have at that 1.5s time?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All in the A zone of a USPSA target or 0 zone of an IDPA target.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Keep it up.

You simply can't go fast unless you go fast. You have to go fast and push your failure point and push a little past it, a few times or more. You got to really know what fast is and then dial back a bit. Then your old failure point is now your average point. Smooth and slow work for ingraining the mechanics so you go back and find your failure point safely.

Some of my best and fast times felt like shit...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top