Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 3:12:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Anything but Frog Lube.  That stuff is snake oil, absolute garbage.

ETA:  Can't believe how many responses are recommending that crap.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:04:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

This  I use standard synthetic motor oil.  Lighter oil for standard cleaning, heavier for low use items.  Foam is the devil.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Vapor Phase Corrosion Inhibitor and any oil that will not harden.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I used 3n1 oil for years for lubrication and rust prevention.  Worked just fine.  

I've pulled the old rifles (03, 03A3, M1917's, etc) out of the soft gun cases after years lying in the attic and had zero rust on them (8 years was the longest stretch between inspection/wipe down/lubing).

My M29 S&W sat up there in it's presentation box till the foam dissolved away.  No rust anywhere on the bluing.  You've got to be sure not to touch any of the metal after wiping it down.  Wiping it down and then grabbing the metal to put it in the case or the safe or the closet will result in rust.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Had a buddy bring over an almost NIB Python he had used 3-in-1 on.
A little dot on every pin under the side plate.
Locked up as tight as could be.

I had to use a nylon punch to even get the cylinder latch open.
The a lot of 1,1,1-Trichloroethane (now banned).

Lubed it up with with a bath in break-free for him.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Who pulls the cover/sideplate off a python (or a S&W) to lube it?  No matter what lube is used.

Got the 03, 03A3 and one of the M1917's out of the safe about 2 months back and went to the range with the boys for a day of "old gun shooting".  Took the 1917 production Colt 1911, too.

The 03 and 03A3 were last wiped down/lubed with 3n1 oil 5 or 6 years ago.  They went bang every time.  

I just built the M1917 up from a stripped down barreled receiver I bought at a gunshow 5 or 6 years ago so it had been lubed up more recently.  It went bang every time.

The 1917 Colt 1911 has not been fired since prior to 1985 (when I moved down here to the flat lands).  It went bang every time.  I've wiped it off with an oily rag, but it has not been taken apart and lubed since I lived in Montgomery, WV in the early 80's.

History.  I know mine.

Use what you want on your guns.  I'll use what 40 plus years of experience has shown me works on my guns.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Slip 2000 EWL 30 is the best long term storage lube I've used.  I can leave my AR's vertical in the same, take them apart, and the lube is still where I applied it.

Avoid frog lube.

Anything that can gum up and sludge up your handgun if you don't follow an 87 step application process isn't worth it.

Its gun lube, not automotive paint

Don't overthink it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who pulls the cover/sideplate off a python (or a S&W) to lube it?  No matter what lube is used.

View Quote

He was a G&A level gun owner.
Long term they DO need some lube but there are better ways to get it in there and better lubes.

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:09:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Fluid Film. Available at Lowe's, and seems to be a very solid preservative.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:09:07 PM EDT
[#11]
There are tons of lubes that will work fine for use and storage. Stay away from vegetable-based lubes for long-term or low-temperature storage.

I use Magnalube on all of my firearms. It's cheap with a pint can costing ~$14 on Amazon. I have a small bottle of MPro7 and that works well (although I see no reason to buy another when cheaper options are available). I also use G96 for cleaning and rust removal (works great for ax heads).
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top