Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2015 2:28:01 AM EDT
Just wondering what sort of experience you guys have with modern handguns (Glock, Sig, H&K, XD, CZ, Beretta, etc...) and feeding failures with modern JHPs.  I see lots of people recommending that you fire ___ number of your defensive load to verify feeding, and while I think this is a good idea, I really haven't heard of any modern handguns having problems feeding modern JHPs.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 3:06:03 AM EDT
[#1]
My sigs and HKs run 147 HSTs just fine.

I think some 1911s have problems with JHPs
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 7:35:47 AM EDT
[#2]
My Shield doesn't feed 147gr Rangers that well.

My BHP (1982) doesn't feed ANY JHP well if the mag is fully loaded and I add one in the chamber.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#3]
My Glocks have no problem devouring anything and everything but a friends XDS wouldn't take Critical Duties.  We thought maybe it was a subcompact issue.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Modern JHP and modern guns should work just fine. Shooting x number of rounds is testing the system together. It's a good idea when you might bet your life on it.

You should check your lug nuts after you change your tires too. I've never found them to loosen up, but if I loose a tire at 60 mph it is a big deal so I check them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it's probably a good idea, but I also agree with your point.  I've never had one choke on SD ammo.  I don't shoot a crap ton of HP's though, because they're so expensive.  The profile that really gets me is you would think a SWC would never feed in a 1911, but they do somehow.  LOL.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Beretta 96C that wouldn't digest them very well, polished the feed ramp with 1200 grit diamond paper and never had an issue.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:48:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I had three 1911's at varying times.  One was a Dan Wesson.  

None of them fed JHP's worth a damn on a full mag.  Tried every mag they make including McCormick's and Wilsons

Damned shame.  I really did like the feel of a 1911

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 1:10:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I have seen 1911s not feed JHPs, my RIA 1911 feeds JHPs just fine. Personally I would not own a handgun that won't feed modern JHPs of some type.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Only issue I have run into is my Kahr CM40 would not feed Critical Defense reliably.  I usually just run about a magazine through to make sure all goes well.  If I am going to depend my life on it I want to make sure I have at least checked it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Sigs, Springfields, Berettas here.  Never an issue with JHP.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 8:46:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I shoot 9mm Glocks.  No issues.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just wondering what sort of experience you guys have with modern handguns (Glock, Sig, H&K, XD, CZ, Beretta, etc...) and feeding failures with modern JHPs.  I see lots of people recommending that you fire ___ number of your defensive load to verify feeding, and while I think this is a good idea, I really haven't heard of any modern handguns having problems feeding modern JHPs.
View Quote

This x amount of rounds talk is a holdover from back in the old days. I am 40 and grew up with my dad and my friends dads all telling me this and they told us this because they started shooting semi auto pistols in the 60's and 70's. There were very few if any HP loads for pistols back then and most were for revolvers as CCDW was uncommon and overall very rare except for a few states. Ammo companies didn't make HP rounds commonly. My dad said the first HP rounds he saw were supervels when he was a cop in the 70's and while they were new and wizbang he said they were unreliable and their powder charges were erratic, he said some rounds were definitely much hotter than others even in the same box. He knew cops carrying auto pistols would only carry a HP as the round loaded in the chamber and the rest were FML due to the unreliability of chambering after the first shot. Jim Cirillo discusses casting his own projectiles as well as other cops in one of his books and they only used those rounds for the first round in the chamber as well. Plus alot of departments only allowed FMJ ammunition in duty weapons.

My rule on carry ammunition is one box has to feed and function and be accurate, after that it's turning money into noise. Mind you all pistols will break in and you should fire a good number of rounds through any new gun to make sure there are no issues or bad metal treatment which will cause parts breakage in a few hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Most modern designed or modern updated guns should have no issues.

About the only semi-modern gun that I've personally had issues with was a Sig P6. Wouldn't feed any flavor of hollowpoints at all. Would jam right up with the bullet hitting the feed ramp.

Some of the older 70's and earlier era Hi Powers may or may not have issues if they have the old style feed ramp. I believe the MkII and MkIII Hi Powers have the new ramp though. It's really an individual gun thing when you're talking autos made in the 70's or prior which is when you'd want to test a lot of HP rounds through it.

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I do have to say, it SEEMS the smaller you go, the more finnicky a pistol can be.  Possibly.  I'm only going by what I've seen and read though.  I don't have any real small autoloaders.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Glock eats anything, PT709 eats anything.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#16]
never had any problems with the XDM, Sigs, Glocks, and M&Ps that we own.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:45:51 PM EDT
[#17]
No issues with my Sig, Beretta M9, various XD models, Kel-Tec PF9, and Ruger LCP.  My Taurus TCP I used to own would frequently FTF JHP rounds.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't squander your hard-earned money on dollar-a-shot modern wonder-bullets.   Shoot FMJ for self defense.  ER doctors and MEs can't tell what kind of bullet it was, unless they recover it.  Entrance, exit and wound track give no clue.   Almost all handgun bullets just deform a little bit in people and exit right on through.   Ask any ER doctor or ME.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#19]
It depends on the profile of the HP round.
The old Speer 'flying ash tray' was a PITA in almost every auto pistol.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:10:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I shoot 9mm Glocks.  No issues.
View Quote

Yep.  Mine feed everything, including empties.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:29:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Don't squander your hard-earned money on dollar-a-shot modern wonder-bullets.   Shoot FMJ for self defense.  ER doctors and MEs can't tell what kind of bullet it was, unless they recover it.  Entrance, exit and wound track give no clue.   Almost all handgun bullets just deform a little bit in people and exit right on through.   Ask any ER doctor or ME.
View Quote

Your post is bad and you should feel bad.

There's way too much info available to post here on how modern HPs are better than FMJs in every way.  Not rifle better, but still better.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:47:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
Come on.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:02:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a box of Winchester "Personal Defense" JHP ammo that I shot though my Glock 34 gen 3 pistol.  The gun could barely cycle and I had a few brass to the face.  Fortunately I didn't have much of that crappy ammo.  I've been using Hornady Critical Defense ammo and that has worked out well for my home defense pistols.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:13:14 AM EDT
[#24]
My Ruger LC9 didn't like the first round of a mag of gold-got 115gr, but is fine with ball and my current HD load, the 147gr HST.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't know if you'd consider it modern, but the new Browning HP I bought about 20 years ago would often choke on hardball.

The HK USP I had did not like aluminum cased practice ammo.

Edit: NVM, reading I'd fundamental.

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#26]
`1911 mag lips commonly needs some adjustment to feed larger hollow points.

I have not looked lately but I own a set of feed lip anvils for semi wad cutters that have worked well for many many years on HP and SWC.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I don't know if you'd consider it modern, but the new Browning HP I bought about 20 years ago would often choke on hardball.

The HK USP I had did not like aluminum cased practice ammo.

Edit: NVM, reading I'd fundamental.

View Quote
Interesting.  I've pushed probably 400 rounds of federal aluminum through mine at our bowling pin shoots without so much as a hiccup

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#28]
1911's are the only guns I ever used to choke on HP's. Gold dots especially.  1 reason I'd never carry one for SD use.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I have never had ANY handgun fail to feed a modern HP.

The only HP I have ever had fail to feed properly was the old 200 grain Speer "flying ashtry" rounds.  Those have not been made since the 80's though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please, nobody follow this advice.

I've never had an ammo related failure with any JHPs.
Glocks and revolvers - go figure.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Couldn't say as I've not tried HP's in my semis though I don't own any modern designed ones either. Mine are ones such as 1911's, PPK's, Brownings and so on. On the other hand, I only use HP's in my revolvers (depending on use, solids sometimes in my 44's), specifically Hornady's XTP's. The cost difference isn't much as I reload.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:33:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have a Beretta 96C that wouldn't digest them very well, polished the feed ramp with 1200 grit diamond paper and never had an issue.
View Quote

I feel the single most important issue related to reliable feeding with HP or anything else is a well polished feed ramp. I think lead bullets may be a bigger issue than HP. My 1911s all feed fine with lead or HP, but they have mirror finishes on the feed ramps.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I feel the single most important issue related to reliable feeding with HP or anything else is a well polished feed ramp. I think lead bullets may be a bigger issue than HP. My 1911s all feed fine with lead or HP, but they have mirror finishes on the feed ramps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the handloader, loading to a slightly shorter OAL can enhance JHP loading efficiency.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I do have to say, it SEEMS the smaller you go, the more finnicky a pistol can be.  Possibly.  I'm only going by what I've seen and read though.  I don't have any real small autoloaders.
View Quote

The actions run faster (shorter stroke type faster) and things do not have as much slop available.
Mag feed lips are often the issue.

A round nose will sort of rattle into the chamber easily.
The big hole at the front is on more place for things to catch.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Not trying to start a war but the only pistol I've had that wouldn't feed certain hollow points was a 1911. It would only feed ball ammo.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:40:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#38]
The only autoloaders I've had JHP problems with were all chambered in calibers that began with the number 4.

1911s (three different ones, all 45), though they all seemed to like Golden Sabers.

CZ 97B in 45, could not find any that would cycle reliably in it, sold the thing off.

CZ 2075 RAMI in 40, same as the 97, JHPs a total no go.

Glock 36, very finicky, only Golden Sabers and XTPs were 100%, made it go away quickly.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I honestly haven't had a pistol that wouldn't run pretty much any ammo since I had a trio of Para Ordnance high cap guns back in the late 90's.  I bought a P14 to shoot in matches then a P13 and P10 as carry guns.  The P14 was the pickiest.  Since then I've had Glocks (a couple dozen), HKs, Les Baers, Kimbers, Springfield 1911s, and 1 M&P and have shot several other modern guns (PPQ, Sigs, Ruger SR series, XD/XDM/XDS, etc.) that have all been trouble free.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#40]
The only pistol made the last 20 or so that had trouble with JHPs was a Glock 19 using 10 round magazines.  It would regularly fail to feed the last round in the magazine.  I called Glock and they were aware of the problem and recommended loading a FMJ as the last round.

The pistol never had problems with standard 15 round magazines.  Fortunately, the ban ended and 15 rounder are cheap now.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 7:26:06 AM EDT
[#41]
My WWII Ithaca 1911a1 had no problems feeding 200gr Hornady XTPs, never tried any other HPs in it.
Everything else has been fine... Glocks, HK, Beretta, Sigs, other 1911s (all basic 1911s).

The only issue I ever had with a modern semi auto was a W. German P220 that choked on 200gr LSWC, oddly enough... It ate everything else with boring predictability.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The only pistol made the last 20 or so that had trouble with JHPs was a Glock 19 using 10 round magazines.  It would regularly fail to feed the last round in the magazine.  I called Glock and they were aware of the problem and recommended loading a FMJ as the last round.

The pistol never had problems with standard 15 round magazines.  Fortunately, the ban ended and 15 rounder are cheap now.
View Quote

Interesting... I had problems with feeding 10 round G19 mags loaded with a single round if I dropped the slide using the slide release, but I never had a problem with the slingshot method.  That extra 1/4" or so of spring tension helps.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top