Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2015 10:42:11 AM EDT
I bought a 27-2 in about 86-87, serial number indicates 1978 manufacture (N475) It has target grips and the 3 T's, target hammer, trigger and sights, presentation case and original paperwork...gave it to my dad same year I got it as a Christmas present...got it back last weekend after mom died...he wants to make sure I got it when he is gone vs someone else getting it between his death and me getting there or someone laying claim to it...

Gun was nearly 100% when I gave it to him, nearly 95% + now...Here is what stumps me...barrel length, from the front of the frame it is 4 7/8" front of the cylinder is 5 7/8" so is this the 6" version? I'm an auto loader guy...I would have thought the barrel length would not have been rounded off given the longer barrel of 8 3/8ths...I mean if they are going to measure to the 3/8ths on one barrel why deviate here...

So whats up?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#1]
My 27-2 measures the same.

Now I will have to measure the barrels on all my guns, thanks.

It is not unusual for barrel lengths to be rounded off, but I don't know why.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#2]
6"
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a six inches. Barrel lengths vary a little on Smith revolvers, they often are not exactly the advertised length.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Measured from the forcing cone to the crown...
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Measured from the forcing cone to the crown...
View Quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_27

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top