Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2015 9:47:06 PM EDT
I will soon be taking a CCW class. I'm more of a rifle guy and only have 3 pistols (a Dan Wesson 357 revolver, a Kimber Classic Stainless, and a Ruger 22/45), none of which would make a good CCW pistol. I've narrowed down to the models, though I'm open to others as well. The three I'm thinking are the S&W SD9VE, H&K P2000, and FNH FNS-9. My criteria is it must be 9mm, between 3-4" barrel, and hides well/comfortably in an IWB without being too compact of a frame. I prefer a manual safety, though it's not a must and prefer 14+ capacity, but will go down to 10 if it's a positive compromise. What are you guys' thoughts?

Also I realize the S&W isn't quite in the same price range, but if one of the others is worth the extra $200 I'm not afraid to spend it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#1]
For (3) out of (4) season's I carry an M&P40 "compact" model in a Comp-Tac Minotaur holster( available in 9mm too.) It shoots very accurately, very pointable (Ameriglo night sights installed myself), and most important its been 100% reliable in almost 1,000 rounds... Even though it's considered a compact I find it to be more of a small "medium" sized carry pistol. My brother carries the M&P40 Shield that is also a fine choice. I carried my M&P40 (mid-size) for a season; but even with the Minotaur holster and a "Beltman" bullhide belt it was a bit of a challenge for me to conceal when seated; and I'm big, 6'2", 260lb body-builder. So the Compact works for me. In winter I carry a fine tuned Springfield 1911 "Loaded" in it's own Comp-Tac Minotaur holster. Both the M&P "c" model and the 1911 have me covered at any given time of the year.

Of your choices the HK P2000 would be my choice but try some others just to be sure it's what you want...

Don't cheap out on the holster or belt. They make worlds of difference in the comfort and conceal-ability...
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Any of the 3 you listed are reasonable choices for full size pistols.  Personally I would lean towards the SD9VE.  I'd also suggest you check out the M&P9c, FNS9c, CZ P-07, or possibly the Taurus PT-111 G2.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:21:18 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not on your list, but Glock 19.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#4]
M&P 9c gets my vote also, it replaced my g19 as my go-to carry gun. I just bought a shield also which will work its way into the summer rotation.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I will soon be taking a CCW class
View Quote

How soon is soon? Although it's preferable to take the class with your chosen CCW pistol, I wouldn't hesitate to take the class with Wesson 357 or the Kimber Stainless Classic if they're reliable.  The class shouldn't be about the high-round counts, a specific pistol or caliber but about awareness, scenarios, judgement, cover, and concealment, and then the physical aspects of drawing, target pictures, trigger pull and reloading. I'm sure I forgot something.  You can transfer the knowledge to your future pistol with practice at the range.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:48:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I suspect there's probably a reason you didn't mention a Glock 19. I was the anti-glock poster boy till I actually ended up with a G17 on trade and made the mistake of shooting it. Now I'm just another fanboy...lol

Try a G19
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:00:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

Or a Sig P228 or P320 Compact
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Have you shot the 320 compact? I had one and thought it was going to be the holy Grail of pistols...then I shot it. I felt like I was shooting an old WASR because of the bad trigger slap and the felt recoil seemed pretty hard for a 9mm, at least compared to my M&Ps.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:24:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How soon is soon? Although it's preferable to take the class with your chosen CCW pistol, I wouldn't hesitate to take the class with Wesson 357 or the Kimber Stainless Classic if they're reliable.  The class shouldn't be about the high-round counts, a specific pistol or caliber but about awareness, scenarios, judgement, cover, and concealment, and then the physical aspects of drawing, target pictures, trigger pull and reloading. I'm sure I forgot something.  You can transfer the knowledge to your future pistol with practice at the range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As soon as the shop does the next class.  Hopefully the next week or two.  I'll probably take the 22/45 for the class, just for ease of use.  The local shop carries in stock Glocks, the FN, and the S&W.  I'll probably go have a feel tomorrow evening.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the fns and have 2, but the grip makes them tougher to conceal. If you like those then go with the fns-9 compact.

My carry guns are Glock 26, 19, and S&W j-frame. None of those made your list, but they do everything I could ask out of a handgun.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:04:15 AM EDT
[#11]
CZ P-07 fits your criteria.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:05:14 AM EDT
[#12]
H&K P30sk (because I have one). In winter it's either a 3.5 inch Dan Wesson ECO or the 4.25 inch Guardian both 1911's. Warmer weather was Sig 290rs or S&W 6904. Just got the H&K with the LEM trigger and its a great carry weapon. 10 rounds 3.28 inch barrel 23 oz. The LEM trigger is striker like or as close as anything I have had. The paddle mag release was strange at first but now is easier than the button release. Shoots well and all controls work for both right or left hand users. Also unlike other H&K's these are right at $600 area.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:17:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

As soon as the shop does the next class.  Hopefully the next week or two.  I'll probably take the 22/45 for the class, just for ease of use.  The local shop carries in stock Glocks, the FN, and the S&W.  I'll probably go have a feel tomorrow evening.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Given a few base requirements (cal >= .38 Spl), pick what you like, can shoot well and from a established, proven manufacturer.  "Best" gun arguments are worse than religion.

ETA caliber larger than or equal rather than just larger.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:53:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, If you really want a Smith the full size or Compact M&P would be a good choice

The Shield is 8rds in .40, but is very comfortable to carry IWB

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:41:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This, If you really want a Smith the full size or Compact M&P would be a good choice

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point above and I didn't read closely your thread op. But unless you have some
serious familarity and comfort shooting a lightweight gun like the shield in 40 I wouldn't
recommend it for a sd gun.The shield in 9 is great and I carry one but in 40 I can't imagine
it, there is a trade off. If the gun weights more than 2lbs its going to be much more comfortable
to shoot and you'll probably be more confident which rules everything in a gunfight..But that's me,
I hate guns that are snappy in 40 +, unless we're talking full on 1911.

Sure you can buy some fly weight whatever caliber and put it in your sock, but when
you need a gun as only we do when we need one.. What do you want? Something
that's easy and comfy to carry with limited firepower or something that will get you
home at the end of the fight?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:55:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Good point above and I didn't read closely your thread op. But unless you have some
serious familiarity and comfort shooting a lightweight gun like the shield in 40 I wouldn't
recommend it
for a sd gun.The shield in 9 is great and I carry one but in 40 I can't imagine
it, there is a trade off. If the gun weights more than 2lbs its going to be much more comfortable
to shoot and you'll probably be more confident which rules everything in a gunfight..But that's me,
I hate guns that are snappy in 40 +, unless we're talking full on 1911.

Sure you can buy some fly weight whatever caliber and put it in your sock, but when
you need a gun as only we do when we need one.. What do you want? Something
that's easy and comfy to carry with limited firepower or something that will get you
home at the end of the fight?
View Quote

I agree with this^  Somehow I misread and thought the OP was wanting a 40, must have picked that up from another thread I posted in

I originally bough the Shield in 40 and didn't care for it, and replaced it with a 9mm, it shoots like a G19 and I really like that little pistol

The 40 in a Shield with short mag is like shooting a J-frame with a boot grip... I usually don't try to sway someone on calibers due to some people getting over emotional about the issue

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Take the class with something you already own and know how to shoot.
Take your time buying a new carry gun. Try to get a test run on anything before you buy it.

I don't know where you are in KY but LOU, LEX, and Cincy all have ranges where you can rent guns to try them out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#18]
My vote is for Glock 19, but I would also check out an XDM compact.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

My only problem with the poly CZs is that the grips are 1/8" from being Glock 17 in length. ARFCOM pointed me towards the PCR as its the closest to an actual compact.

I vote Glock 19 but guys on here have had very good things to say about the SD9VE. Not sure on the height of it though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I usually carry either a shield or a M&P Compact in 40.  Both are very controllable and a pleasure to shoot.  When I want something smaller it's a Kimber Solo in 9mm.  While I can shoot either of the M&P's for a 100 rounds or more with no fatigue, the solo in the "more controllable" 9mm after about 50 rounds I'm done with it.   On the other hand it's nice and small and looks great.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:42:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Have you shot the 320 compact? I had one and thought it was going to be the holy Grail of pistols...then I shot it. I felt like I was shooting an old WASR because of the bad trigger slap and the felt recoil seemed pretty hard for a 9mm, at least compared to my M&Ps.
View Quote

I respectfully disagree. I was never a fan of striker-fired handguns until I tried a P320 compact, I now own three of them for training, EDC & nightstand duty.
Tomac
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I respectfully disagree. I was never a fan of striker-fired handguns until I tried a P320 compact, I now own three of them for training, EDC & nightstand duty.
Tomac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

It had a lot going for it but just didn't work for me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I would wait for the class, maybe look at what others are using and get a feel for them.
If you plan on ccw, a compact or single stack is worth looking at. Full size, even polimer guns are heavy and bulkie.
The G19, 26 or 43, xds9 M&P9C or Shield, Kahr P9, CM9 or sccy gen2 would be good choices for edc. Of those, only the m&p and shield offer safties. The XDS does have have a grip safety, nice little shooter too.
The Kahr is dao with a long smooth trigger, another good shooter.

If you want inexpensive, the Taurus PT111-g2 is a great little gun. It's small, holds 12 rounds, shoots great, very easy to manage the recoil. It's da/sa with a safety. Full disclosure... I recently purchased one and although Taurus has had a questionable reputation in the past, this gun has been flawless for the first 400+ rounds I've put through it.
There are tons of videos on all of the guns listed in this thread, take some time to watch them before deciding.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#24]
CZ P-07 should work

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I like the fns and have 2, but the grip makes them tougher to conceal. If you like those then go with the fns-9 compact.

My carry guns are Glock 26, 19, and S&W j-frame. None of those made your list, but they do everything I could ask out of a handgun.
View Quote

My way of thinking. those three pretty much cover all bases in carry guns but I recommend the J frame in a airweight
If you can find any (or all) of these guns used for a fair used gun price you can shoot them for a couple of months and pretty much sell them for what you have in them.

Don't be surprised if you find out the only one you end up carrying day in and day out is the j frame.

I wouldn't worry about what gun to take to the class. Most CCW classes are pretty much along the line of NRA Basic Pistol . Not really much on self protection , mostly basic safety
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#26]
I carry a Glock 19 as my concealed weapon in a Sparks VM2, however I carried a full size Colt Government for 25 years previously IWB. The 1911 conceals better for me, but I went with the Glock for capacity sake since I live 2 miles from the Mexican border.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#27]
The HK P2000 is a nice gun and carries well (similar to a Glock 19). If you want a hammer fired gun it would be one of my top choices. That said I would just get a Glock 19, there's a reason it's so popular and recommended.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I actually put a deposit down for a pistol.  I went away from my criteria.  I found a good deal on a new Walther PK380.  I've wanted a smaller pistol like that anyway, so if I decide that it won't suffice I will add another to the safe.  The smaller caliber will also be a good starter for my daughter when she gets a bit older and I introduce her to firearms.

I also ordered an AlienGear 2.0 IWB holster.  The awesome thing about them is that I can exchange the sleeve for different gun applications through them for free.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:26:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Glock 19
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I actually put a deposit down for a pistol.  I went away from my criteria.  I found a good deal on a new Walther PK380.  I've wanted a smaller pistol like that anyway, so if I decide that it won't suffice I will add another to the safe. The smaller caliber will also be a good starter for my daughter when she gets a bit older and I introduce her to firearms.
I also ordered an AlienGear 2.0 IWB holster.  The awesome thing about them is that I can exchange the sleeve for different gun applications through them for free.
View Quote

I have not shot that particular 380 but be aware many 380 pistols are either really light or blowback operated. Both of those properties usually make for more recoil than a 9mm. Not usually the best "starter" gun.

Enjoy your new purchase.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#31]

My M&P40c
I really like the 1911 style thumb safety

Don't forget a belt DESIGNED for CCW

http://www.amazon.com/Reinforced-Looper-Series-Gun-Belt/dp/B00ENN2T4K

I also carry a M&P SHIELD at times

and sometimes, a 642 in my front pocket.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have not shot that particular 380 but be aware many 380 pistols are either really light or blowback operated. Both of those properties usually make for more recoil than a 9mm. Not usually the best "starter" gun.

Enjoy your new purchase.
View Quote

The PK380 is short recoil operated.  It's supposed to have similar recoil to a 22lr, from what I've seen.  I think I'll probably carry it temporarily and step up to a 9mm or 40.  I've actually looked at a few m&p40c's that have impressed me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:22:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:47:44 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The .380 is a poor choice of self defense cartridges, it suffers inadequate penetration when using modern HP ammunition of good design. 9x19mm and .38 special are the minimum calibers one should accept. The M&P 9c would be my top recommendation, the sig P320 compact would be my second.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I actually put a deposit down for a pistol.  I went away from my criteria.  I found a good deal on a new Walther PK380.  I've wanted a smaller pistol like that anyway, so if I decide that it won't suffice I will add another to the safe.  The smaller caliber will also be a good starter for my daughter when she gets a bit older and I introduce her to firearms.

The .380 is a poor choice of self defense cartridges, it suffers inadequate penetration when using modern HP ammunition of good design. 9x19mm and .38 special are the minimum calibers one should accept. The M&P 9c would be my top recommendation, the sig P320 compact would be my second.

Agreed 100%.

.380 is better then a sharp stick by a long shot, but given what's available in 9mm (and even .38/.357), I see very little justification for carrying a .380.

Modern 9mm offerings in both pistol sizes as well as modern high performance 9mm ammo, IMO, has all but made .380 obsolete.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#35]
You guys will be glad to know I picked up an SR40c today to add to the PK.  I spent time at two shops; checked out a M&P9c, a few Glocks, an XD9sc, and a few others.  After reading reviews and feeling the guns, I think I made a good choice.  I may or may not use the 380 when dressing lighter.

The gun was mint with a 9 round pinky extension clip, a 15 round clip with extension sleeve, and a very nice soft case with some supplies for $400 out the door.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Agreed 100%.

.380 is better then a sharp stick by a long shot, but given what's available in 9mm (and even .38/.357), I see very little justification for carrying a .380.

Modern 9mm offerings in both pistol sizes as well as modern high performance 9mm ammo, IMO, has all but made .380 obsolete.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed 100%.

I disagree, the XTP bullets from Hornady make 12" in gelatin with some expansion. Pistols like the G42 shoot very well and are mild enough that my wife will shoot it. The size is just on the verge of what she won't carry. I'd rather her carry something she likes to shoot and can shoot very well than either not carry or not practice at all because she hates shooting it. (LC9, etc)

Link Posted: 8/11/2015 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
My only problem with the poly CZs is that the grips are 1/8" from being Glock 17 in length. ARFCOM pointed me towards the PCR as its the closest to an actual compact.

I vote Glock 19 but guys on here have had very good things to say about the SD9VE. Not sure on the height of it though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC, the Glock 19 grip is shorter than the P07 without a magazine, but longer with one.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top