Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/17/2015 9:44:27 PM EDT
Hi everyone, I'm looking at buying a pocket handgun in .380. I'm looking for something that I can put into my jean pocket, cargo pants pocket, dress pants, shirt pocket or a jacket pocket and for it not to be noticeable. I will make my own holster for it. I also have a budget of $250-$350. I may be able to go a little higher than $350 but would like to stay at #350 and under. My max budget would be $375. This is not a handgun that I will go to war with and would like to keep it at a reasonable price.

The brands I have been looking at -

S&W
Kahr
Ruger
Kel-Tec
Tauras

What other brands should I be looking at?

What is the smallest size pocket handgun I can get in .380?

I would add the new Glock to the mix but if I carry that I could easily carry my Polish P-64.  

The two that I have been leaning towards the most is the S&W Bodyguard (with the laser) and the Kahr CW380. The Ruger and Kel-Tec are right behind those two. Tauras is a brand I have carried in the past with a 25acp pocket gun. It was a nice gun. I'm not sure if they make a .380 in the model that I once had but if they did, I might pick one up. I also don't remember the model now. I sold the gun to buy another.

So tell me what you guys would recommended and if you have carried or do carry one what if any problems have you had.

Thanks everyone.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#1]
The Bodyguard sucks. Trigger pull is horrible.
I carried a Keltec P38T for years as a back up on the P.D.
Ruger has a better finish but that's about it. I didn't like the trigger in the Ruger.

I love the G42 but it is bigger than the others.

Kahr has been hit and miss with the .380 reliability from what I have read. No hands on experience with it.

Dave N
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're not dead set on .380, the Kel-Tec PF9 gives you 9 mm, and compared to my J-frame, I actually consider it a pocket gun.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Having owned the S&W and a few Kel Tecs, I would steer clear of them, all were 100% reliable, but they suck to shoot, and they are far from accurate. My only commentary is this, the narrow framed poly framed pistols suck for me to shoot, the grip is so narrow they punish the heel of my hand. However I am able to shoot my SIG 238 for long stretches with no issues. So bear that in mind, having a slightly fatter grip is a HUGE plus. Only reason I would go with one of those super small poly framed guys is for dedicated pocket carry.
ETA: Of those listed though, I would get the S&W, the frame the slide runs on is steel, it has a last round hold open, and it has a thumb safety (im a 1911 guy). The Smith really did seem better put together and with higher quality materials than the KTs I owned and compared to the Rugers and Taurus of my friends, and now that they make it without the laser it makes it a better choice in my mind (im old school and dont dig lasers)...
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:07:53 PM EDT
[#4]

I was in the same boat, every one of them is a compromise in one way or another. I went with the Beretta Pico since it has real sights, 2 mags & a slide release... + I like that it is the thinnest .380 on the market so you can hide it no matter what you are wearing. I paid $349 a few months ago but I have seen them as low as $299. The Kahr was my second choice but the trigger is a mile long, Taurus TCP seems to be hit or miss, I hated the fake reset which actually disables the trigger action. Was not impressed with the LCP, hated everything about the Bodyguard.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone. This is just a backup gun or one that I can have on me when I can't carry my G19 or M&P 9 to the office. I just want something that when in my pocket it isn't to big and everyone knows that it is a gun. My Polish P-64 used to fit that bill. I was a bit heaver than and now that I have lost that weight, it will stand out.

I did not know the Beretta was on the scale. I have looked at reviews but not pricing.

I need to see what my local shops have in stock and go in and pick up a few and see how they feel in my hand. The Kahr worries me about the hit or miss. The Bodyguard has me intrigued but not sure enough to buy one . . . but maybe. I do really like my M&P 9 and more so than my GLOCK.

Now that a Kel-Tec 9mm pocket gun has been mentioned, is there a big difference in size of the frame and barrel length over the .380 version?  

I also want it light enough that it doesn't feel that heavy. My P-64 is heavy and when ridding in a cargo pants pocket it can slam my knee and not feel that great.

Keep them coming guys and thank you all.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Taurus 738 TCP in .380, it has last round hold open, some other's do not

My Taurus has been very reliable, points and shoots nice, I like the trigger, My favorite pocket pistol
I've added finger extension's to my mag's

I've shot a Ruger they are very similar to the Taurus,  the biggest difference, no last round hold open

Buds has the Taurus in stock for about $180
PSA sell's them to at good price
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:40:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Years ago I started out with a North American Arms Guardian. It was a great little pistol, but heavy as it was all stainless steel. I switched to a Ruger LCP and carried that as a back up for several years, but I traded it off. Now I am looking hard at the Kahr CW380. I like it because it is very flat, has a polymer frame and decent sights.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:52:09 PM EDT
[#8]
My p3at has about 8k rounds through it.  I can't remember the last time I had a malfunction.   I've put 100 rounds a month through it for the last seven years plus.   I feel extremely confident with it to about 30 feet.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Years ago I started out with a North American Arms Guardian. It was a great little pistol, but heavy as it was all stainless steel. I switched to a Ruger LCP and carried that as a back up for several years, but I traded it off. Now I am looking hard at the Kahr CW380. I like it because it is very flat, has a polymer frame and decent sights.
View Quote

That is one of the things that drew me in is it being flat. I think it is also maybe the shortest of the ones that I have listed. I think being that flat ti would not print in my pocket like some of the others would.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:00:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a Taurus 738 TCP in .380, it has last round hold open, some other's do not

My Taurus has been very reliable, points and shoots nice, I like the trigger, My favorite pocket pistol
I've added finger extension's to my mag's

I've shot a Ruger they are very similar to the Taurus,  the biggest difference, no last round hold open

Buds has the Taurus in stock for about $180
PSA sell's them to at good price
View Quote

I did not know the Taurus had the last round hold open. That is a feature that I really like and would like to have. Not a big deal break if it doesn't but I do like that.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:12:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My p3at has about 8k rounds through it.  I can't remember the last time I had a malfunction.   I've put 100 rounds a month through it for the last seven years plus.   I feel extremely confident with it to about 30 feet.
View Quote

That is a lot of rounds. Good know a track history.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:17:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Keltec P3AT
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:25:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That is one of the things that drew me in is it being flat. I think it is also maybe the shortest of the ones that I have listed. I think being that flat ti would not print in my pocket like some of the others would.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My LCP was really flat too, but the sights were virtually non-existant. Ruger does make an LCP with better sights now, but after handling both the LCP and the Kahr CW380, I ended up liking the Kahr better.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:26:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I pocket carry a s&w bodyguard. Its trigger really does suck. Bought it for the wife and she hated it so replaced it with a kimber micro carry for her.
But since i already own it and it fits in my pocket nicely in a cheap pouch holster I kept it to use myself.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 1:24:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My LCP was really flat too...
View Quote

Thin as a dime? The Pico is, about the width of a 9mm case. .380 shown for scale. Even the slide release is flat
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 1:39:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Out of your list I would take the ruger hands down

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 2:38:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

one mag, non usable sights, doesn't lock on empty mag.

sure everyone bought one when they were on sale, but if you aren't getting them for $199 then there are better options.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:57:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Not a fan of the Ruger due to the sights, for the most compact gun with real sights I'd go with the Kahr.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Have had:  

S&W:  BodyGuard junked after 4 trips to factory.  No feed, no eject, on and on.  The Insight Tech laser was the only thing that worked right.  By the time it was junked, every major part, except for the plastic grip, but including the frame with rails had been replaced or modified or adjusted.  The frame itself was wearing out in 800 rounds.

KelTec:  braze welded firing pin to slide in three shots as it unlocked while firing and blew primer debris into firing pin channel which melted.  Dealer refunded $.

Kahr:  See Kahr website for fanboy fluff and buff requirements to finish the kit gun.  My CW9, same construction as .380, needed every known finishing operation to run.  It persisted in dropping magazines no matter three fixes.

Ruger Custom LCP:  it works and is cool.  Nice sights.

Far better than any mini .380 is the 9mm Shield.  It works and is easy to shoot.  The opposite of the BodyGuard .380 junk they sell.

My Ruger LCR .38 and S&W M&P340 are better than any of them.

As to cost:

L.L.Bean:  Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten.

Or:  The bitterness of cheap quality remains long after the sweetness of low price.

(Some honest "experten" that test guns for a living will tell you that none of the mini .380s are actually reliable.  Expect to spend the cost of the gun in ammo finding a reliable ammo-gun combo and breaking it in properly.)

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/EIXQYnzm.jpg

Thin as a dime? The Pico is, about the width of a 9mm case. .380 shown for scale. Even the slide release is flat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My LCP was really flat too...

http://i.imgur.com/EIXQYnzm.jpg

Great comparison picture.
I just did that with my LCP and it's actually slightly bigger than the standing dime.
That being said I bought my LCP several years ago after owning not one but two Diamondback DB 380's that both had catastrophic failures.
My LCP on the other hand has been 100 %.
I highly recommend them and the new generation with the slightly better sights are even better yet.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:32:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Only one I can recommend is the S&W Bodyguard.  Mine has been 100% reliable through about 500 rounds.  As far as the trigger, it's a DAO .380 not a target pistol.  While mine is a little heavy it is smooth and reasonably crisp to fire.  Sights are far better than most others.  I do not recommend the laser.  My switch has been erratic so it's probably going back to the factory for that.  Gun itself, 100%
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

sure everyone bought one when they were on sale, but if you aren't getting them for $199 then there are better options.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The key words are "out of your list"

My personal choice is a S&W 442 (I sold my LCP and do not miss it)

The fact that you could not shoot proficiently with the LCP does not make the sights unusable, I could wear out a pie plate at 10 yards (more that adequate for a pocket gun)

Out of the OP's choices... The LCP is by far the best option
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#23]

LoLCP

Pico

easy killer... I am sure you are the greatest sharpshooter the interweb has ever known. Seriously though, look at the LCP sight picture, even the "updated" version is shit.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:32:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/rear.jpg

LoLCP

http://i.imgur.com/9Az6r56l.jpg

Pico

easy killer... I am sure you are the greatest sharpshooter the interweb has ever known. Seriously though, look at the LCP sight picture, even the "updated" version is shit.
View Quote

Looks nice.
I and many others bought the LCP years before the Pico hit the market.
Will watch some youtube videos for a better review.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow thanks everyone. There is a lot of info within this small thread.

The Pinco is very thin. I watched a video on YouTube by Hitchcock45 and it is very slim much slimmer than any other pocket gun on the market.

The one thing about this gun is its not my primary gun and when I do carry my primary gun it will be a back up. I just need something I can wear with dress pants and jeans for when I'm at the office. With all of the shootings happening and not being able to carry a bigger gun I thought why not get another pocket gun. There are way more choices today then it was 10-12 years ago.

I had looked at the Diamond Back .380 but I know one of their guns and I think its the 9mm had problems and is recommended to not carry with one in the chamber. So, I question carrying anything of theirs.

Beretta
S&W
Kahr
Ruger

I think those are my top choices now. I need to do some more research on the Beretta because that is one that was no on my radar. I think the Nano was but the price was kind of insane unless I was looking in the wrong place.

I do like the last round hold open option and with that being said I need to really look into Taurus line. I had a PT25 Taurus years ago and the gun ate everything I put through it. So I shouldn't shun them away from checking to see what they offer.

Does the Beretta have a last round hold open? I think it does if I remember the video right.

Also someone mentioned the Shield, if I was going 9mm (and I might still thinking) and could pocket conceal or conceal somewhere on me with a shirt tucked in I would go straight for the shield.

Thanks everyone and if there is not a gun on my list please feel free to put it in the mix here.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The Pinco is very thin. I watched a video on YouTube by Hitchcock45 and it is very slim much slimmer than any other pocket gun on the market.

The one thing about this gun is its not my primary gun and when I do carry my primary gun it will be a back up. I just need something I can wear with dress pants and jeans for when I'm at the office. With all of the shootings happening and not being able to carry a bigger gun I thought why not get another pocket gun. There are way more choices today then it was 10-12 years ago.

I had looked at the Diamond Back .380 but I know one of their guns and I think its the 9mm had problems and is recommended to not carry with one in the chamber. So, I question carrying anything of theirs.

Beretta
S&W
Kahr
Ruger

I think those are my top choices now. I need to do some more research on the Beretta because that is one that was no on my radar. I think the Nano was but the price was kind of insane unless I was looking in the wrong place.

I do like the last round hold open option and with that being said I need to really look into Taurus line. I had a PT25 Taurus years ago and the gun ate everything I put through it. So I shouldn't shun them away from checking to see what they offer.

Does the Beretta have a last round hold open? I think it does if I remember the video right.

Also someone mentioned the Shield, if I was going 9mm (and I might still thinking) and could pocket conceal or conceal somewhere on me with a shirt tucked in I would go straight for the shield.

Thanks everyone and if there is not a gun on my list please feel free to put it in the mix here.
View Quote

Do NOT even give the Diamondback any sort of consideration.
It will fail just when you need it.

The Ruger LC9s is lighter than the Shield and the Kahr CM9 is even lighter than the Ruger.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Does the Beretta have a last round hold open?
View Quote

They were late to the party, but I think Beretta got it right with the Pico. For me, it checks all the right boxes.

Believe me, I would rather carry my 9mm or .38 special. When I am dressed for work or going out with my wife & have to be discreet, the Pico is perfect.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The Ruger LC9s is lighter than the Shield and the Kahr CM9 is even lighter than the Ruger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beretta
S&W
Kahr
Ruger

Roger that! I gave it some slight thought and then told myself no on the Diamond Back.

What is the length and height of the smallest 9mm? If they come close or are the same size as a .380 I would go that route. I just know right now the .380 pocket guns are truly pocket guns. Wearing dress pants and cargo pants, things I can wear to work with a shirt tucked in I can get away with a .380 pocket gun. I also get to wear jeans for work at times and could tuck the gun on those days into my waist band with a small holster.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/r0NwsvCm.jpg

They were late to the party, but I think Beretta got it right with the Pico. For me, it checks all the right boxes.

Believe me, I would rather carry my 9mm or .38 special. When I am dressed for work or going out with my wife & have to be discreet, the Pico is perfect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does the Beretta have a last round hold open?

http://i.imgur.com/r0NwsvCm.jpg

I'm seriously putting this one in the mix and maybe at the top of the mix because it is so flat and so thin. I'm doing more research on them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#30]
PSA gets P238's for 400 bucks every few months.

Probably the best choice.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
PSA gets P238's for 400 bucks every few months.

Probably the best choice.
View Quote

I have been looking at those. I need to watch for when they have a sell with free shipping. My FFL and shipping fees would be closer to $500. The Sig is a nice looking .380 and I know it gets a lot of good reviews.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

The service life on that pistol is 6k rounds.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a cheap Keltec P3AT and a cost too much Kahr P380.  Both work.  Others have not had as good luck as me.  

I would be tempted to roll the dice and go for a P3AT or LCP and call it a day as long as they are reliable.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#34]
M&P trigger sucks but with the short stroke kit is perfect.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Try out a second gen lcp,, you may like it
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks everyone, I'm still doing reading, watching videos and talking with others about what experience people have with their pocket .380's. It has been very interesting so far what I have found and learned.

Has anyone seen the ammo by LeHigh and Underwood (Underwood uses LeHigh bullets and is 200 or feet per-second faster) for the .380? I'm impressed with what it can do as a defense round.

I think my top four are as follow and in the order I'm thinking -

M&P Bodyguard (with or without the laser. Mag price a big plus and I have found them for 14-15 bucks. Also last round hold open, big plus)
Beretta Pinco (love how thin it is. Like that it has a last round hold open. Not sure I like how it might fit in my hand. I've read a lot of people do not like it. I will have to see)
Kahr (Price of mags a  big draw back and the 200 round break in period)
Ruger (seems to get a lot of votes across the board.

Right now that is where I am at. I'm still doing my research and reading everything you guys are saying. I have a month until I think I will take the plunge and buy something. I have some emails out for a couple of used .380's and I'm waiting to hear back.

Has anyone had trouble with the Bodyguard's laser? I'm not sure that it is something that would push me to buying one or not. I can understand the laser on these small guns. I think I like one that I can take off and put back on. I like to know if the internal laser on the Bodyguard can be repaired easily or something that I would have to send back to S&W for repair. Any thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#37]
How much is your life worth?
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

A lot and a lot more than the cost of any gun. The .380 is not my primary carry. I"m just thinking of places like work that would frown upon a big G19 on my hip while wearing a shirt tucked in.

So, what one would you choose Brickeyee?
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#39]
can get a sccy 9mm for that kind of money
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

A lot and a lot more than the cost of any gun. The .380 is not my primary carry. I"m just thinking of places like work that would frown upon a big G19 on my hip while wearing a shirt tucked in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Officers size 1911

I am not that big a guy and I can still easily conceal it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a Taurus 738 in a wallet holster that is my everyday ccw.  i love it with critical duty in it i have no worry
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Officers size 1911

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Officers size 1911

Yeah, not sure I can conceal one in my pocket. it has to be a really small gun. Pocket guns are where I know I need to be. I will check those out when I go into the store and see how small they actually are.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have a Taurus 738 in a wallet holster that is my everyday ccw.  i love it with critical duty in it i have no worry
View Quote

That is one I keep looking at. I keep reading about too. I need to watch some more videos. How do you like it? Have you had any problems with it?
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly my EDC ammo as well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#45]
I would go with the LCP its reliable and accurate.
I have a Kahr and like it but it never ends up in my pocket.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:28:05 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a Kahr CW380 that has been 100% reliable. Since I got a GLOCK 43, I never carry it anymore, other than in my frame bag when I ride bicycle.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:28:33 AM EDT
[#47]
I have and highly recommend the LCP custom. Real sights ( rear windage adjustable) and a great trigger. Surprisingly accurate as well.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:36:26 AM EDT
[#48]
I can pocket carry a Glock 42 with shorts. A good belt, holster, and the right pants go a long way. Plus, the G42 is fun to shoot. A pistol that you always want to take to the range and practice with.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#49]
I would buy the Ruger LCP, personally.  Maybe the one with upgraded sights and trigger.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#50]
I had a Taurus TCP.  It was a good shooter and I regret trading it off.  My only complaint was the sights.  For that reason, I am considering giving the Pico a go.  I miss not having a pocket gun in my lineup.  Thanks for the topic OP.  I'm also in the market for a pocket gun so this has been just the info I've been looking for.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top