Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2015 1:32:13 PM EDT
Would you do it again? Thinking a M&P or maybe one of my sigs needs the treatment. Mostly be a fun gun and a suppressor host.

Also is their any advantage or disadvantage to the factory guns like the M&P that come prepped for the dots compared to having your slide milled?
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 2:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one on a G19 and like it quite a bit.  It does take some getting used to.  Initially I was definitely faster with irons.  It is mostly just fun on a gun with a suppressor and nice trigger etc.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a CORE M&P and love it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I knew better than to ask

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#5]
they're great till you use them in the rain.
other than that they work. i heard of the dot dissapearing so one rainy day i took a few guns out to see.

wheres the dot?

I have a FNX 45 tac, the FF3 i use sits in front of the rear sight, where i like it vs the rear sight in front of the dot.
suppressor sights, I decided on what range i wanted the sight zeroed and i go fron there

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
other than that they work. i heard of the dot dissapearing so one rainy day i took a few guns out to see.

wheres the dot?

I have a FNX 45 tac, the FF3 i use sits in front of the rear sight, where i like it vs the rear sight in front of the dot.
suppressor sights, I decided on what range i wanted the sight zeroed and i go fron there

View Quote

Isn't that where the co-witness sights come into play?  
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

wheres the dot?

View Quote

Rain??? What's that?
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#8]
i tried an RMR on a fnh five seven I hated it.  I just could not hold it steady and it was much slower than  irons for me.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i tried an RMR on a fnh five seven I hated it.  I just could not hold it steady and it was much slower than  irons for me.
View Quote

Have you ever shot a pistol with a red dot mounted to the frame?? I should have mentioned that I have experience shooting plenty of conventionally mounted dots but never one on the slide.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:58:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Have you ever shot a pistol with a red dot mounted to the frame?? I should have mentioned that I have experience shooting plenty of conventionally mounted dots but never one on the slide.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shot with Johnny Brister a year or two ago.  He was using a SVI with a slide mounted dot that I asked him about.  He mentioned he was having problems following the dot and the last time I saw him, he'd gone back to a frame mounted dot.  YMMV
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I've used them a bunch. They're fun. I'm mainly using irons now, but occasionally the dot is fun to go really fast.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:32:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one on my FNP-45T, my PMR-30, and soon my M&P CORE. The PMR-30 is a little hard to pick up because I think it sits up too high on the gun.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:53:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I shot with Johnny Brister a year or two ago.  He was using a SVI with a slide mounted dot that I asked him about.  He mentioned he was having problems following the dot and the last time I saw him, he'd gone back to a frame mounted dot.  YMMV
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No question in my mind that a frame mounted optic is the way to go for pure performance. There is a reason that all but a handful of competition shooters still go conventional. The reason I asked him was because some people have problems with dots in general especially if they are no able to ever spend any real time learning the initial index and finding the dot.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:28:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm unimpressed.

It doubles the price of the gun and doesn't make you double as good.

That said - In certain situations they can really shine but not worth it to me.

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 2:05:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a m&p 9fs, a M&p 9l, and a m&p ifs with rmr.  

I'm quickest with the m&p 9 fs, but more precise with the rmr.  probably just need more practice.  easier to shoot with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm unimpressed.

It doubles the price of the gun and doesn't make you double as good.

That said - In certain situations they can really shine but not worth it to me.

View Quote

If you take the time to get used to a red dot, I've never heard a single person say they don't shoot faster with a red dot on a pistol vs irons. It just wouldn't even make sense. Once you learn to pick the dot up in between shots, you're literally just point shooting. There's no lining up sights as you have to do with irons. I was amazed at how little time it took me to learn to shoot with a red dot and how incredibly fast I could move between targets with it vs irons.
As for cost - well, that's up to the end user to decide if it's worth it or not. You can have your slide milled for ~$100 these days for a red dot, and you can get into a decent red dot for $250 or so. ~$350 give or take is worth every penny of how fun shooting with a red dot is IMO.  :)
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 3:15:43 AM EDT
[#17]
So any input on having the slide milled vs a facotry gun like the M&P CORE?
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So any input on having the slide milled vs a facotry gun like the M&P CORE?
View Quote

I haven't seen any factory options that mill the slides as deep as having a shop do it. Might not be a big deal to some, but obviously the lower the optic to the bore the better. And I know often times people who try to mount the optic too high above the bore (cheap dove tail type mounts, etc)  will end up having to shim the sight because they will run out of elevation adjustment before achieving a zero.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 2:33:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I use my CORE9 with an RMR.
It does two thing right away.

First distance shots are Much easier.  The 50 meter head shot was 8 of ten rapid fire the first time I did it.
Next once Suarez drills are mastered on picking up the red dot, speed begins to improve.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:50:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a rmr on my g19 supresor host and while it's fun to shoot I mainly leave it at home and shoot irons.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a rmr on my g19 supresor host and while it's fun to shoot I mainly leave it at home and shoot irons.

View Quote

What don't you like about it?
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm getting more and more used to it but there's still pros and cons IMO...

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm getting more and more used to it but there's still pros and cons IMO...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzs4yBFNP-M
View Quote

15 minutes

Aint nobody got time for dat
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:41:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Bumpity bump bump
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:49:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Just stop thinking about it and do it. ;)

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/XmDbMOo.png
View Quote

that is straight up sexy. First CZ I've seen, who did the work?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:45:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/XmDbMOo.png

My company. PM for details. Don't wanna violate any rules.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I think I would like a red dot just to rack the slide off the end of a table or my bumper then when it breaks go back to irons.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think I would like a red dot just to rack the slide off the end of a table or my bumper then when it breaks go back to irons.
View Quote

Cool story...I guess?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a frame mounted one on a S&W Model 41 .22... well, technically it's mounted straight on the barrel, stupid accurate and very quick once you have it on target -- it's just for plinking, targets, and small game.  Not so taken with the slide mount versions.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I recently finished up this on my g17. It is really accurate and fast once you get used attaining sight picture. I love it but the part above about the rain is true and cowitnessing through BUI is not very easy.  Kind of like driving in the rain with no wipers.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I recently finished up this on my g17. It is really accurate and fast once you get used attaining sight picture. I love it but the part above about the rain is true and cowitnessing through BUI is not very easy.  Kind of like driving in the rain with no wipers.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b483/Private-Sectre/Mobile%20Uploads/20150718_225759_zps1bdghefo.jpg
View Quote

This is exactly why I don't understand why so many people want a red dot with BUIS when they've never shot a pistol with a red dot + suppressor sights to know if they'd like it. IME, suppressor sights just get in the way and make shooting slower. I've shot quite a few, and my preference is running a front sight only, just to help acquire the dot. I don't worry about the dot failing, really. In my experience, they will fail on your first range trip ever or last years.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This is exactly why I don't understand why so many people want a red dot with BUIS when they've never shot a pistol with a red dot + suppressor sights to know if they'd like it. IME, suppressor sights just get in the way and make shooting slower. I've shot quite a few, and my preference is running a front sight only, just to help acquire the dot. I don't worry about the dot failing, really. In my experience, they will fail on your first range trip ever or last years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b483/Private-Sectre/Mobile%20Uploads/20150718_225759_zps1bdghefo.jpg

I meant specifically trying to run the irons with the RMR lens wet from rain. Can't see anything.

I don't mind the irons when its dry. Either way the setup takes some getting used to for sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top