Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2015 9:59:43 PM EDT
Recently bought a H&K P30sk and plan to buy Trijicon HD's. Anyone who has them or have been able to look at them is there much of a difference between the orange or yellow front in daylight or at night. I have only seen pictures and no one seems to have them in stock around me to look at.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:24:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Orange has reduced life.  Yellow or green are better in that respect.  
From their FAQ's:

"Trijicon offers the choice of yellow or orange lamps in the rear sight only. We always keep the front sight green because it is the brightest and longest lasting of the colored tritium. It is also the color with the most contrast from muzzle flash. Green and yellow sights are warranted for 12 years. The orange lamp only carries a 5 year warranty."
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#2]
The HD has orange paid to around the lamp,  the lamp it's self isn't orange.

OP I have three sets of HD's in Orange and I definitely recommend them.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#3]
You really can't go wrong with either. I have the orange front on my G19 and a similar Ameriglo Pro yellow/green front on my G43 and I definitely prefer the orange. I will say that the green/yellow photoluminescent paint glows longer than the orange after being exposed to sunlight or being charged with a flashlight but this isn't really an advantage of one of the other as both will be very bright in daylight.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I just realized the "HD" sights are different than the "Bright and tough"  sights.

Bright and tough sights come with different color tritium lamps - green/yellow/orange.  They all have white rings around them.
HD sights come only with green lamps, with yellow/orange painted rings around them.

So my comment about the orange lifetime only applies to the "bright and tough" sights.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Lime front works best for me and I have both. I find I am much quicker to acquire the Lime front, especially for follow-up shots.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lime front works best for my and I have both. I find I am much quicker to acquire the Lime front, especially for follow-up shots.
View Quote

This. I have one set of yellow HDs and both colors from Ameriglo. The yellow/green picks up much better in lower light areas like dark shade and indoors. The orange is a little better in bright sunlight, but not much.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:28:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I only have the yellow and I've noticed it washes out against the paint on the inside of my house, which is kinda lemony - cream colored. I love them outside in bright day light as well as lower light, think just before dusk. At night they are just good bright night sights. I'm a fan, though I'd like to try the red/orange.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I have had both and prefer the orange.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had both and prefer orange.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I've painted my front sight posts around the tritium and tried yellow, red, orange.  I like red or orange better than yellow.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer the lime/yellow front
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I have both. I definitely like the orange better. It doesn't wash out like the yellow front sight.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:20:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I went with green Trijicon on my P2000sk. Great sights, and bright. Entertained getting the orange, no one had them.

I have a Sig 226 I bought new in 2008, and the Sig orange front sight is much dimmer now than the rear yellow sights. MUCH dimmer.

I would be happier if it had green Trijicons, I'm sure.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had both and prefer Yellow. Orange seems to fuzz-out to my eyes.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:16:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Science says green is better for the human eye to distinguish, but I prefer orange in fiber optic, and like my orange I-Dots, which is the same front sight as the HD.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#16]
The yellow is more of a highlighter yellow and the same can be said for the Orange.

The yellow paint will hold its glow longer than the Orange but I think that it's a moot point since it can only be seen in pitch black anyway.

I personally went with orange since it was closest to red which matches all my optics (I.e.: red dots and Trijicon Accupoint).

I also think orange would be better in brighter light vs the yellow, but not by much.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:55:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Have shot both before purchasing, I went with the Orange and don't regret it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The yellow is more of a highlighter yellow and the same can be said for the Orange.

The yellow paint will hold its glow longer than the Orange but I think that it's a moot point since it can only be seen in pitch black anyway.

I personally went with orange since it was closest to red which matches all my optics (I.e.: red dots and Trijicon Accupoint).

I also think orange would be better in brighter light vs the yellow, but not by much.
View Quote

I think your talking about the actual colored Tritium Vials, These trijicon HD's were talking about have a colored photo luminescent paint surrounding the tritium vials, which is only good in daylight.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think your talking about the actual colored Tritium Vials, These trijicon HD's were talking about have a colored photo luminescent paint surrounding the tritium vials, which is only good in daylight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I'm talking about the HD sights. That photo-luminescent paint glows in the dark. Hence why its called photo-luminescent.

if I remember correctly, the yellow paint will hold its glow in the dark for 15 minutes, while the orange will hold it for 5 minutes.

EDIT:

Just found this as per Trijicon's website:

Photoluminescent paint is often referred to as “Glow Paint” or “Glow-in-the-dark” paint.  The paint has a unique property which allows it to absorb light from a multitude of sources and then releases the light, causing a glow-in-the-dark effect when in a darker area.  Sources that can “charge” the photoluminescent paint include the sun, fluorescent light and LED flashlight.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/support/faq_HDNS.php
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No, I'm talking about the HD sights. That photo-luminescent paint glows in the dark. Hence why its called photo-luminescent.

if I remember correctly, the yellow paint will hold its glow in the dark for 15 minutes, while the orange will hold it for 5 minutes.

EDIT:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDIT:

Photoluminescent paint is often referred to as “Glow Paint” or “Glow-in-the-dark” paint.  The paint has a unique property which allows it to absorb light from a multitude of sources and then releases the light, causing a glow-in-the-dark effect when in a darker area.  Sources that can “charge” the photoluminescent paint include the sun, fluorescent light and LED flashlight.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/support/faq_HDNS.php

Well what do ya know, that is the 4th time I've been wrong today. I did not know that about the photo lum. paint glowing in the dark, that's something the missus and I can do on our date night tonight.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:20:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lime front works best for me and I have both. I find I am much quicker to acquire the Lime front, especially for follow-up shots.
View Quote

Biologically, your eye will pick up the yellow/green sight faster.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:38:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I first was going for the orange and Brownells is out but had the yellow. Went to order the yellow and they are sold out to. Found some on ebay but more expensive than Brownells. Will have to wait a few more days until they are back in stock.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Check out Ameriglo. They use trijicon vials and are pretty much the same thing. They usually cost less.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:14:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Check out Ameriglo. They use trijicon vials and are pretty much the same thing. They usually cost less.
View Quote

I don't think so, unless I'm missing something. Ameriglo makes regular night sights OR painted phosphorescent sights

Ameriglo:

OR:

The OP is talking about this:
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 8:08:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don't think so, unless I'm missing something. Ameriglo makes regular night sights OR painted phosphorescent sights

Ameriglo:
https://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/imagecache/uc_category/SG161%20%20SG165.jpg
OR:
https://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/imagecache/uc_category/sig%20luminova%20set.jpg

https://www.trijicon.com/images/general/hd_top.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ameriglo:
https://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/imagecache/uc_category/SG161%20%20SG165.jpg
OR:
https://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/imagecache/uc_category/sig%20luminova%20set.jpg

Yep, you missed something. Below are the Ameriglo Spartan Tactical sights and they are marked Trijicon front (top) and rear (on right side) for the vials used.

The Ameriglo can be as much $40 less than the Trijicon. (I checked the HD set price against the Spartan price)

I have the Spartan Tactical set on a G30S. They do not have the white inserts on the rear so during the day it is similar to a solid black rear sight.  

I vote GREEN

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 2:08:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.
I always thought red was the easiest to pick up and that's why stoplights/signs are red.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep, you missed something. Below are the Ameriglo Spartan Tactical sights and they are marked Trijicon front (top) and rear (on right side) for the vials used.

The Ameriglo can be as much $40 less than the Trijicon. (I checked the HD set price against the Spartan price)

I have the Spartan Tactical set on a G30S. They do not have the white inserts on the rear so during the day it is similar to a solid black rear sight.  

I vote GREEN

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/OhioRick_/AG%20Spartan%20Tact_zpss8uvytfe.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ameriglo:
OR:

I vote GREEN

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/OhioRick_/AG%20Spartan%20Tact_zpss8uvytfe.jpg

OK.  Looks like they only make those for Glock (didn't check the whole site, but they don't offer those for Sig (which I originally looked up) or HK, which is what the OP needs.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

OK.  Looks like they only make those for Glock (didn't check the whole site, but they don't offer those for Sig (which I originally looked up) or HK, which is what the OP needs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ameriglo:
OR:

I vote GREEN

AmeriGlo does have a large selection for the Glock but they do offer the Spartan, CAP, Pro Glo and Custom Combo sets for Sig and XD.

As for HK, you're right they show no love.

Sig and XD sights use the same dovetail which makes them interchangeable.  

https://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/pdfs/sights-catalog-2015.pdf

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 7:49:15 AM EDT
[#29]
RNO, thanks for link to catalog.

I always wonder why companies don't keep the website updated, I would have never suspected they had those for sigs.

The ones with the SQUARE paint look fantastic.  I've been painting around my sight dot for a long time, and it is a pain to get right even with magnification and tiny brushes.

Any idea how durable the paint is????  I paint mine with Testors model paint, and it eventually chips/wears off....

I may get myself an Ameriglo with the square front
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
RNO, thanks for link to catalog.

I always wonder why companies don't keep the website updated, I would have never suspected they had those for sigs.

The ones with the SQUARE paint look fantastic.  I've been painting around my sight dot for a long time, and it is a pain to get right even with magnification and tiny brushes.

Any idea how durable the paint is????  I paint mine with Testors model paint, and it eventually chips/wears off....

I may get myself an Ameriglo with the square front
View Quote

Soulman, I do not know.

OP I apologize for derailing your post.

My opinion is still the same and since you are looking for HK I imagine it will have to be Trijicon HD. The orange outline on the front is great during the day but GREEN tritium rules in the dark. (IMO) Good Luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top