Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2015 10:25:53 PM EDT
How many of y'all CHL guys do this?

Do you use your gun unloaded, or one of those rubber training guns?

How do you practice?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:42:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Constantly. Dry fire and live fire.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:33:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

How do you practice?
View Quote

I use a computer or online timer to give a random signal and mostly practise with a real gun but also substitute with better airsoft guns for target acquisition. Every time you don the holster is a good time to practise a few draws.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Weekly Challenge

AZ zoom snap caps it typically what I use.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:54:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Use my gun unloaded.  Sometimes I practice just drawing.  Other times I use a shot timer, set on a par time, draw and get a sight picture.

Not really part of the draw, but I do the spent shell casing on the front sight sometimes also.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:33:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Snapcaps. Draw, trigger squeeze, reacquire.

I practice from the configurations I carry, so from concealment, and from my gunbelt.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Dry from concealment in various positions, turning to face the threat, getting off the x etc.

Just dryfiring for trigger feel.

I don't have a range to myself where I can do various positions all I get is static live fire so I figure supplementing that with dry firing as described above may be a good thing.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:26:09 AM EDT
[#7]
At Home:  With snap caps.  At The Range:  Live Fire.  I've had instructors push me to go faster and faster; but, I don't like doing this; and, quite frankly, I tend to avoid this sort of practice as much as possible because I've always felt this sort of behavior is, 'an accident looking for a place to happen'.  It's also been my experience that if you've got the necessary fundamentals, 'down pat' then when you really need to move fast, everything'll be there for ya.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:47:50 AM EDT
[#8]
As part of dry fire and sometimes just to practice, usually at least once a week with a par timer when possible.

Some live fire on the weekend. Do more with my competition gear, but I make sure to get some in with the carry gear
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:52:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How do you practice?
View Quote

Lots of dry fire.  

Obviously you practice gun unloaded, no need for the training gun.  

I use an app on my phone as a timer (sometimes no timer), and practice drawing the gun on a light switch, rinse/repeat for a good while.  Also mix in transitions and reloads.  I do this for both my competition gun and carry piece, but spend a lot more time on the competition rig.  

It won't replace live fire, but will ingrain all the movements into your brain and make them second nature.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:22:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Both dry and on the range.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#11]
With a timer.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With a timer.
View Quote

Anyone serious about training for SD/HD or competition should own a timer IMO.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes. In the same ways posters here described; wall drill, draw to trigger press, draw to low ready, get off the x, dime on front site etc. I do have a blue-gun, but usually use my carry gun.

I have used a timer in courses, but don't own one.

I don't get to live-fire practice as often as I would like (or should) and dry-fire really helps a lot.

What's an example of a timer app or one online? Do you have to be online to use them - no internet at home. Thanks.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I dry fire a few times a month with my carry guns, or whenever I start to forget what the trigger feels like.

I practice draw a few times when I put the gun on, and a few times when I take it off at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:56:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Every night when I take it out of my belt.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:28:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
With a timer.

How does a timer benefit SD/HD training?

Serious question. I forget the name of the member who got in a shootout, Blitz something I think, but he drew his gun long before deploying it.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:06:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Serious question. I forget the name of the member who got in a shootout, Blitz something I think, but he drew his gun long before deploying it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
With a timer.

A timer is useful for benchmarking performance and tracking improvement. No matter the skill, draws, splits, reloads, transitions, movement, or anything else, it all shows up on the clock. It also adds pressure, which causes mistakes. Those mistakes can be worked on until proficient.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:28:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A timer is useful for benchmarking performance and tracking improvement. No matter the skill, draws, splits, reloads, transitions, movement, or anything else, it all shows up on the clock. It also adds pressure, which causes mistakes. Those mistakes can be worked on until proficient.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
With a timer.

Exactly.
How many people on ARFcom have a sub 1 second draw and first shot from concealment?

Answer: all of them.

But how many have done it with a timer?

Answer: none of them.

Catch my drift
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I do it. Not as much as I should, but I do. Used to be a couple days a week for maybe 10-15 mins; now, it's a couple days a month.

I don't own a timer, but should get one. Last time I was timed it was 1.5X and a hit on a silhouette at about 30'. I don't even know if that's good, but it was the best in the class. Do timers work with dry firing?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I do it. Not as much as I should, but I do. Used to be a couple days a week for maybe 10-15 mins; now, it's a couple days a month.

I don't own a timer, but should get one. Last time I was timed it was 1.5X and a hit on a silhouette at about 30'. I don't even know if that's good, but it was the best in the class. Do timers work with dry firing?
View Quote

Timers can work with dry fire. They have sensitivity settings so they can pick up sounds quieter than nearby live fire. If the timer is sensitive enough for hammer falls though, it may also pick up noise from the draw (holster or grip safety getting smacked down for example). May be useful but less reliable.

Timers also have par time settings. You can set a start and stop beep. It can be tough to know if you made it though at the stop beep.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Exactly.
How many people on ARFcom have a sub 1 second draw and first shot from concealment?

Catch my drift
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
With a timer.

Exactly.

Catch my drift

Makes sense. I'd never even thought about it before TBH.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Once or twice a week, unloaded but using the laserlyte target system.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Like this:

http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/Dry-Fire-Training-by-Ben-Stoeger-p/dry-fire-training.htm

Par times will obviously be different from concealment, but otherwise everything applies.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Practice a few times a week at home with an unloaded firearm and snap caps.  I usually try to practice both from concealment and with a duty holster.  
Try and replicate the same drills every time that I go to the range for live fire as well.  Usually run a couple of magazines just to stay in practice.

Great information on adding a shot timer into the mix.  I do not have one anymore and now it looks like I will have to invest in another one!  
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Everytime I draw my pistol I do so with purpose, like I mean it. Unless I am practicing dry fire, the gun is always loaded.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:39:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't practice as much as I'd like. But my $.02 to this is practice with snap caps in a mag dedicated to snap caps. My reasoning is to make sure you don't inadvertently drop the magazine. The other thing I'd add is regarding fumbles. You may be tempted to abort a draw where you stumble on it and start fresh. Don't. Work through it. Practice is as much about working through mistakes as much as not making them.

My first tactical pistol class I had a crappy Fobus paddle holster that I knew was too tight even after filing it down a bit. Sure enough, it would often pull right off my belt on the draw and I'd have to strip the holster off with my support hand. I could've stopped and put the holster back on and started again, but instead I chose to overcome an unexpected obstacle.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:24:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I downloaded a shot timer that has a random start beep and can be set to par times on my phone.

I mainly do it for competition but I'll start around 1.5 seconds par time and go through the motions as a warmup lowering my par time as I go.

The key is to keep practicing and be honest with yourself if you beat the timer or not. When you hit a plateau, drop the timer 0.1 second and keep banging on it to get used to the quickness. I'm at 0.7 with a good sight picture and trigger press.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 1:06:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Without a timer, not as much training value.  Tense feels fast.  Tense is not fast.  Relaxed and calm is fast.  Relaxed and calm feels slow.  Only a timer can give you quantifiable feedback.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#30]
As often as I can; both with my duty rig and my OWB carry holster. Practice often and practice hard. Speed is life.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 1:06:45 AM EDT
[#31]
I practice draws and dry fires daily. I carry a gun everyday at work so in the morning when my duty belt goes on I will knock out 5 reps or so of drawing. Same for whatever gun I conceal carry. I will draw it five times from wherever I am carrying it that day (AIWB, IWB, OWB, pocket).  I also will grab pistol and dry fire it at night while watching TV or something.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 6:51:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, and a with a timer it is so much better.

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Weekly Challenge

View Quote

This, see you this weekend Billy.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Weekly Challenge

Looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't practice as much as I should. As others have mentioned, work through your mistakes. Holsters may come off the belt, the gun hung up on clothing, etc. A timer would help.

I may get flamed for this, but an airsoft or BB gun which is a facsimile of your carry gun is useful for practice in your backyard or basement, depending on where you live of course. You can practice drawing from a holster, which most ranges don't allow, and they're accurate enough to tell you if you're throwing that first shot. Dry fire alone doesn't tell you this as readily. They're also a lot cheaper to shoot and allow you to practice reloads. In a real situation you're not likely to be counting your shots so that gun is going to run empty when you're not ready for it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/Sy3fFlTV_yQ
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Collateral

F. A. S. T

CSAT

El Pres

You need to get in on My Weekly Challeng
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Collateral
http://youtu.be/j4gUd7PTrro

F. A. S. T
http://youtu.be/h1Huvzgj1zw

CSAT
http://youtu.be/2vxpeO_L7Cs

El Pres
http://youtu.be/Nd6ySBcXv9I

You need to get in on My Weekly Challeng

Looks like fun, and I will be doing the exercises but not competing. It was hard enough doing the MOA all day challenge on a public range. The pistol stuff is ok for me because you can have a private booth for fucking around but the longer range stuff I am at the mercy of everybody else shooting.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:13:14 AM EDT
[#39]
dbl
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

How do you practice?
View Quote

Usually unloaded.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Ok. Im convinced that I need a timer.  I have downloaded a time app but I was really disappointed (sons were running .22lr and I'm not sure if the wind was drowning out the shots).
 Anyone recommend a budget priced timer (or a preferred app that works)?
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Ok. Im convinced that I need a timer.  I have downloaded a time app but I was really disappointed (sons were running .22lr and I'm not sure if the wind was drowning out the shots).
View Quote

If you shoot a lot, then it will be worth it to get a good timer rather than the app.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
If you shoot a lot, then it will be worth it to get a good timer rather than the app.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

It's $100-125 well spent.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Live fire in my backyard
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:18:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
At Home:  With snap caps.  At The Range:  Live Fire.  I've had instructors push me to go faster and faster; but, I don't like doing this; and, quite frankly, I tend to avoid this sort of practice as much as possible because I've always felt this sort of behavior is, 'an accident looking for a place to happen'.  It's also been my experience that if you've got the necessary fundamentals, 'down pat' then when you really need to move fast, everything'll be there for ya.
View Quote

I think there's a lot of wrong here.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:23:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you don't practice to go fast then you won't go fast.

Breaking each step down, going slow, yeah. That's smart but that's only part of it. You have to put it all together and you must find your failure point. Only under the stress of speed can you assess where your breakdown is and work on fixing it.

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:46:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Applying my skills to the first couple USPSA matches I've ever attended this year, I have extreme training scars from being afraid to miss a shot.

I've been to several shooting schools for pre-deployment training where a single miss was grounds for the entire class to drop for burpees, buddy carries, and other shenanigans.

I can hit A-zone all day long, but the hardest part is learning to speed up and only see what I need to see to make a hit.  It is detrimental, and shooting under the stress of time is the best way I've found to find your breaking points.  You have to break something before you can fix it.

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Everytime I draw my pistol I do so with purpose, like I mean it. Unless I am practicing dry fire, the gun is always loaded.
View Quote

This.  Every time I change for work or to go home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top