Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2015 5:46:50 PM EDT
Looking at picking up eithger a VP9 or an M&P 9 some time in the next few weeks.

Which would you choose, and why?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The VP9 trigger is light-years ahead of the M&P one, but Apex makes great drop-ins for M&Ps.  I actually prefer the M&P ergos and mag release, not to mention the softer recoil.  You'll have cheaper and more readily available parts and accessories for the Smith. If it were up to me, I'd get the M&P every time.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Pick up an M&P for $400 at AIM and add an Apex trigger.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my HK vp9
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#5]
H&K
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#6]
m&p with a $40 drop in AEK trigger
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the recommendations, folks.

Been leaning towards the M&P but figured why not ask.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, a couple of my buddies run M&Ps and I bought a VP9.

The VP9 just feels so sweet in your hand. Definitely has the much better stock trigger, but my one buddy's custom M&P's is right there with the PPQ's. The M&P just don't feel special at all. That said, I shoot them better than the VP9. I wanted to love the VP9, but I'm just not meshing with it.

So even though I'll probably not buy an M&P, I'd say go that route. Especially if you're already leaning that way. May still be a magazine rebate going on too.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd go vp9
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:12:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't forget how much the VP9 mags cost.  They are 2x m&p's.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#11]
The VP9 really is a great shooter. I really like the ergonomics on it as well..
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I own both, buy the VP9 first then buy the M&P later. The VP9 is boringly accurate.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:20:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Had a M&P 9. Sold it and bought a vp9. Couldn't be happier. VP9 feels like quality compared to the M&P. Don't let the mag release deter you. I was reluctant at first, but the paddle release is superior. I know, "blah, blah, blah, but I'm used to da Murican button release, derp, derp."

Something that turned me off with the M&P (in addition to the trigger) is the early unlocking issue that Smith refuses to fix. Not a big problem, but if you want to mess around beyond 15 yards, you'll have issues.

With all of this said, the VP9 is a little more expensive. But I think it's worth it for the far superior trigger, finish, and ergs. You need to talk to people who *own* both.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:00:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Had a M&P sold it for a VP9.  A few months later I sold the HK and and purchased back my old M&P from the buddy I sold it to.
VP9 is a great pistol and better out the box but all bets are off once the Apex trigger goes in the M&P.
   The sight picture is horribly distracting on the VP. This is obviously subjective and I noticed it from the start but figured id get used to it.
Everyone talks about the trigger being better on the VP but they IMO have horrible sights.

For what it's worth I wouldn't trade my CZ SP-01 for both and a bag of money
I feel the same way about my PO-1 .
  I will eventually buy a Cajun Gun Works P-07 which I would take over the VP or M&P as well.
If you think I'm just a fan boy I promise you I'd shit can my CZ pistols if I found something I liked better.
  I've already went down the Sig 226 road as well as a half a dozen Glocks a pair of HiPowers, XD etc

I'm not bashing either of the two you are looking at. Both are reliable and accurate enough.
If you don't want to mess with any aftermarket the VP does have the better trigger however the Sig 320 I shot is better than either.

Have fun buy them all

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:39:25 AM EDT
[#15]
The VP9 is easily the better gun by itself. The M&P has more resources though.

Can't go wrong either way, but for me I choose the VP9 everytime
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:02:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Looking at picking up eithger a VP9 or an M&P 9 some time in the next few weeks.

View Quote

I chose the VP9 a couple of weeks ago.  I had been looking for a M&9 Pro, but the VP was a better choice for me.  

I have small hands and the VP's grip is a much better fit for me.  The paddle mag release is also a better choice for me as my thumb cannot reach the mag release on pretty much any gun.  The VP makes it easy for me to quickly drop a mag.  I love the paddle mag release so much that I'm considering getting rid of my G26 for a P30SK.  The "charging ears" are a nice feature I thought I wouldn't like - they really do enhance your purchase on he gun when manipulating the slide.  VP also has an ambi slide release.

The trigger is very good - no need to dump money into parts for it.  It's not the be-all, end-all of triggers like some reviews make it out to be, but compared to a stock Glock or M&P, it's very good.  But it is definitely not a tuned CZ or 1911 trigger.  The VP trigger breaks at a higher weight than a stock Glock 34 trigger (with stock 3.5 connector).  There is a light weight "match" spring set available for the VP9 if you want to go lighter.

Mags are pricey and harder to come by than Glock, CZ, or M&P mags.  I just got some from Brownells for ~$43 each.  

The OEM luminous sights are made of metal and provide a very good sight picture.  Dawson Precision makes competition sights and Trijicon makes night sights for the VP.

If you want to tinker with every part on the gun, don't get an HK as the aftermarket support isn't there like it is for Glock.  

When you look at the VP9, three things about it are different than what most of the competition offers:
1) The grip
2) The trigger
3) The mag release

The mag release is the most polarizing feature.  The trigger is one of the best striker triggers out there, but hammer guns will have it beat.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:02:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I have been shooting and working on handguns for over 25 years. The H&K VP9 is one of the"Best" semi handguns on the market today.
If you buy one. Take the roll pin out at the bottom and Configure the grip the way you like it.
Then take it apart and clean it. Use something like Gunscrubber on the bottom of the slide. You will find packing grease there. Then relube with your favorite gun oil.
Next grab some good quaility ammo and head for the range. This gun will run and run till you get tired of putting holes in tight groups in the center of the target.
Besides where can you get H&K quaility for about $700? Usually their guns are in the one grand zone.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:52:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pick up an M&P for $400 at AIM and add an Apex trigger.
View Quote

+1

HK's mag release is retarded

make mine the M&P

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:05:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:07:42 AM EDT
[#20]
HK VP9.  Great right out of the box.  You don't have to spend any money on it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Can't go wrong with either one. Stock VP9 trigger is much better than the stock M&P's, but the M&P with the Apex FSS and trigger has the VP9 beat. My M&P is an early one that seems to unlock super early but you'd have to be a much better shooter than 95% of the people out there to notice any accuracy issues. It shoots almost as well as my CZ and USP. I prefer the control placement on the M&P but I was impressed with how nice the VP9 shot. I'd hold both, or even better try to rent and shoot both. At the end of the day I'd say it just comes down to personal preference.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#22]
M&P hands down.... Mags are cheaper, easier to find, and with Apex upgrades well.... you get it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#23]
The M&P fits my hand better and the trigger is better after a little DIY work.  It has never given me reason to doubt its reliability, and accuracy is not an issue either.  It also comes in different sizes and calibers, meaning you can have a consistent manual of arms across multiple applications.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The M&P fits my hand better and the trigger is better after a little DIY work.  It has never given me reason to doubt its reliability, and accuracy is not an issue either.  It also comes in different sizes and calibers, meaning you can have a consistent manual of arms across multiple applications.
View Quote

What DIY if you do not mind me asking?  Peaked my interest or do you mean Apex upgrades?

M&P is on par with Glock IMO just better ergos for some people that Glock does not fill.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#25]
You can make an M&P trigger as nice as APEX by following burwells pdf

http://www.burwellguns.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf

It's free, and easy if you're handy with simple tools
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I own and shoot both, the VP9 is the best overall out of the box hand gun I've ever shot! M&P is in a bedside holster, the VP9 is on me in an IWB holster...
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I was less than impressed with the HK VP9, the trigger wasn't nearly as good as I was hoping for. I mean it's a good gun overall for sure. However I think the Walther PPQ has a much better trigger no doubt. Of course the stock M&P can't compare to these two guns with it's crappy trigger, but toss in an APEX FFS kit and wow does that make a huge difference. Now I think I like my M&P the best out of all these striker fired guns.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Besides where can you get H&K quaility for about $700? Usually their guns are in the one grand zone.
View Quote

Got mine from Palmetto for $550 less than a month ago.  

ETA: Just looked up the price on that Apex FSS kit.  $150.  Ouch.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

VP9, cause H&K.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Both are very good guns.

Personally, the first time I handled an M&P, I knew I had to have one.  It just felt so right!  Add the APEX DCAEK and RAM to improve the trigger pull and reset.  You should be able to buy the gun and those parts and still have spent less than the H&K.  I'd like to get my hands on one of the new Performance Center 5" models, but that's not cheap, especially once you add a RMR or other quality red dot.  Magazine availability has been spotty since Sandy Hook, although it's been getting easier to find them at shops recently, but you'll pay $35 or so a piece.  You can find them much cheaper online ($20-25), but they tend to sell out quickly.

The VP9 is also a good quality gun.  One of my buddies has one and I had the opportunity to shoot it - I was surprised at how good it felt in my hand.  There seemed to be less muzzle flip and I actually like the ambidextrous mag release.  The biggest downside with them is magazine availability - they're at least $40 each (when you can find them), aren't commonly carried locally, and some brought close to $200 each on gunbroker during the panic.  That's a major downside for me.

So, you can't go wrong with either of them, but I'd give the edge to the M&P largely due to magazine prices & availability and aftermarket support.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What DIY if you do not mind me asking?  Peaked my interest or do you mean Apex upgrades?

M&P is on par with Glock IMO just better ergos for some people that Glock does not fill.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Burwell as Derek has already posted.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#32]
I just got a VP9 LE-A5   . Night sights with 3 ea 15 rnd mags.... I shot one before buying .... I own a glock 17 also. The VP9 fits my hands very very well. It,s a very cool and nice striker fired pistol... I paid $690 for it . You can get the non LE's about $80 - $100 cheaper... But the night sights and extra mag is well worth the extra $100 IMO .. WarDawg
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#33]
I have had a M&P 9 for a while and absolutely love it.  Just bought a VP9 and really thought it might be "the one".  Until I shot it.  Ergos are not as good while firing as I thought they would be, trigger just isn't as nice as I thought it would be from dry firing, and it has a nasty trigger slap (anyone else experienced this?).  

I was admittedly a bit tired yesterday so I will give it another go but I was almost ready to sell / trade it right after the range trip.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#34]
I just picked up the vp9 after owning two m&p9s.
Accuracy is damned impressive. I vote hk.
M&p has good ergos, but for me the vp9 is a bit better.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I would go with a MP9 with an apex sear and call it good.

The market is better supported. I owned a VP9 and ditched it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 11:54:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I like them both, not sure which I would pick if I could only have one.  After shooting a lot of rounds through various M&P pistols, I picked up a VP9, loved the feel of it, took it to the range and I did seem more accurate with it.  Then I shot my M&P again, which is defiantly a softer shooting gun.  Both great guns.  I guess due to my job I would pick the M&P.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:25:25 AM EDT
[#37]
M&Ps are less expensive, have a longer established track record than the VP9, have better part availability, and more aftermarket support.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 8:32:47 AM EDT
[#38]
I'd get the HK and not have to worry about doing anything to it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:19:29 PM EDT
[#39]
I had an APEXed (duty/carry kit) equipped M&P and a bone stock M&P at the same time and don't see what all the fuss is about. I sold the APEXed gun off and still have the stock M&P.

Right out of the box the stock trigger is gritty and nasty but after a few hundred rounds and lots of dry firing it is fine. I personally think the p320 trigger is the "best" striker fire gun trigger (for me).

I am still an M&P gun because they run great for me and I can stock up on mags for pretty cheap. I was a long time Glock goon and finally broke away.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:32:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Shot both. VP9 just felt completely solid. One of the most solid feeling handguns I've ever held. I liked it so much after I held it that I was planning to wait 3 weeks to buy a handgun and decided to just go to the store and buy it right there.

ETA: don't listen to me, or anyone else here. Just pick the one that feels better in your hands. They are both solid handguns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top